Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 09-18-2017, 07:26 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Everyday my mind makes thousands of decisions and accumulatively it works out pretty well for me in the long run.
You gave me imagery.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:30 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

"OkCupid will let users indicate their support for abortion. This type of assertive mating is one factor that allowed for the rise of a candidate like Donald Trump."
http://thefederalist.com/2017/09/19/...-donald-trump/
Righties have gone off the deep end for sure.
Member #14
Old 09-19-2017, 07:51 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You gave me imagery.

I have seen rooms and buildings full of pretty snazzy electronics that you can't even imagine.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:08 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

So I usually avoid posting here, but this is just too hilarious not to share.

http://epicstream.com/news/Fullmetal...-Japanese-Cast

I haven't watched much Full Metal Alchemist, but I know it takes place in a setting loosely based off of imperial Germany. The maker of the anime is criticizing the live action director for using Japanese actors, since he thinks white ones would be more appropriate.

Personally, I don't really care about FMA and I think we should just cast actors to be a race other than what the role says as a matter of principle, but I find this hilarious.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 09-20-2017, 08:11 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post

I haven't watched much Full Metal Alchemist
You NEED TO. It's very good.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 09-20-2017, 10:51 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Everyday my mind makes thousands of decisions and accumulatively it works out pretty well for me in the long run.
That's just what a robot would say.
Quote:
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:06 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
That's just what a robot would say.
I am a soft and squishy robot.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:56 AM

Elune

“I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.”

In case you're curious, the source of the quote is a letter written by a guy who was attacked by right-wingers and moderates for leading riots and other violent protests.

Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 09-27-2017 at 09:06 AM..
Old 09-27-2017, 09:37 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
“I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.”

In case you're curious, the source of the quote is a letter written by a guy who was attacked by right-wingers and moderates for leading riots and other violent protests.
Dude, I'm a pro-lifer in a world where you can't block the gates. Yeah. It's a tricky balance.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:56 AM

World Builder

What gates?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-27-2017, 10:07 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
What gates?
He wants to protest by denying the rights of others, I think.
Member #14
Old 09-27-2017, 10:30 AM

Echo of the Past

"Wants to protest" is pretty generous, since I'm pretty fond of law and order.

But yeah, it's like Mutters and Taintedmage were talking about in the other thread, with the tyranny of normalcy. We don't want protests to stop traffic. We don't want protests to disrupt our lives and get in the way of us living out our freedoms. We have a greater devotion to "order" than "justice", as M.L. King puts it in the quote Kaks posted.

I'm not ready to full-on support the way of Malcolm X or John Brown before him... but man, that makes me feel lazy and complicit.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 09-27-2017 at 10:32 AM..
Old 09-27-2017, 10:36 AM

Elune

Quote:
"Wants to protest" is pretty generous, since I'm pretty fond of law and order.

But yeah, it's like Mutters and Taintedmage were talking about in the other thread, with the tyranny of normalcy. We don't want protests to stop traffic. We don't want protests to disrupt our lives and get in the way of us living out our freedoms. We have a greater devotion to "order" than "justice", as M.L. King puts it in the quote Kaks posted.

I'm not ready to full-on support the way of Malcolm X or John Brown before him... but man, that makes me feel lazy and complicit.
So you believe that the protests of Martin Luther King Jr were too disruptive and therefore counterproductive?
Member #14
Old 09-27-2017, 10:40 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
So you believe that the protests of Martin Luther King Jr were too disruptive and therefore counterproductive?
No... no, I'm conflicted. I've likely grown too soft.

Keep talking, and you can probably convince me that I should be blocking clinics and getting arrested.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:45 AM

Elune

Quote:
No... no, I'm conflicted. I've likely grown too soft.

Keep talking, and you can probably convince me that I should be blocking clinics and getting arrested.
I think therein lies a difference, though. Right-wing protests rely on denying rights to others. Left-wing protests are attempts to to gain attention to the rights being denied to others.
Member #14
Old 09-27-2017, 12:37 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
I think therein lies a difference, though. Right-wing protests rely on denying rights to others. Left-wing protests are attempts to to gain attention to the rights being denied to others.
Other than our ideological disagreement (which we've gone into plenty of times), there's the factor that something as simple as blocking traffic acts to deny rights to people in order to gain attention for other rights being denied.

In school, MLK and his wing of the Civil Rights Movement were idealized, lionized. We learned about his speeches. We learned about Rosa Parks, bus boycotts, restaurant sit-ins, and marches. We didn't really learn about him stopping highways or gathering to shut down businesses... I'll have to look more into it for a fuller picture.

. . .

But as of now, I'm not ready to give as much credit to the latter, regardless of whether MLK practiced it. Sitting in the front of the bus or at the restaurant counter was different; it forced positive reaction from the business owners. If they didn't want to be disrupted, they had a way out by letting the black person sit where he/she already was. It was the oppressor's/owner's choice on whether to cause a disruption.

But when you block a highway or business, what is the response to end that protest and continue with life? There is none. That's what makes it a different sort of beast, and one I'm still trying to best discern.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
Other than our ideological disagreement (which we've gone into plenty of times), there's the factor that something as simple as blocking traffic acts to deny rights to people in order to gain attention for other rights being denied.

In school, MLK and his wing of the Civil Rights Movement were idealized, lionized. We learned about his speeches. We learned about Rosa Parks, bus boycotts, restaurant sit-ins, and marches. We didn't really learn about him stopping highways or gathering to shut down businesses... I'll have to look more into it for a fuller picture.

. . .

But as of now, I'm not ready to give as much credit to the latter, regardless of whether MLK practiced it. Sitting in the front of the bus or at the restaurant counter was different; it forced positive reaction from the business owners. If they didn't want to be disrupted, they had a way out by letting the black person sit where he/she already was. It was the oppressor's/owner's choice on whether to cause a disruption.

But when you block a highway or business, what is the response to end that protest and continue with life? There is none. That's what makes it a different sort of beast, and one I'm still trying to best discern.
Todays protests are like the retarded kid who sits in the corner eating paste and unironically thinks he's so smart because he figured out how to open the damn bottle.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:56 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Todays protests are like the retarded kid who sits in the corner eating paste and unironically thinks he's so smart because he figured out how to open the damn bottle.
No, I think you're just demonizing/oversimplifying them

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-27-2017, 08:05 PM

Elune

Quote:
No, I think you're just demonizing/oversimplifying them
Is it the hats Im oversimplifying, or the multiple professors calling for violence/commiting violence that Im demonizing?
Old 09-27-2017, 08:21 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Is it the hats Im oversimplifying, or the multiple professors calling for violence/commiting violence that Im demonizing?
You're right, I forgot to mention generalizing.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-27-2017, 09:01 PM

Elune

Quote:
You're right, I forgot to mention generalizing.
Right?

Like kneeling at the American Flag as protest against cops. Now THATS generalizing! Not only does it have nothing to do with cops, the message itself is kind of wonky.

Like wut? You are gonna kneel in protest to police violence? Ok, maybe you shoult eat chicken in protest of dairy farm conditions.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:08 PM

World Builder

It's a symbolic gesture, not everything has to be literal

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-28-2017, 03:05 AM

Echo of the Past

Cripes, sports is everywhere now. It's bad enough most of the time. You're just watching the news, and suddenly some twerp comes up to talk about the recent scores and gameplay footage from what is essentially a popular video game, as if it's part of the news too.

And now the dorks who play that lame game are doing political stuff, so HOLY CRAP WE'RE IN THE NEWS NOW BUDDY. Sports dorks, everywhere in the news.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:12 AM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Quote:
Cripes, sports is everywhere now. It's bad enough most of the time. You're just watching the news, and suddenly some twerp comes up to talk about the recent scores and gameplay footage from what is essentially a popular video game, as if it's part of the news too.

And now the dorks who play that lame game are doing political stuff, so HOLY CRAP WE'RE IN THE NEWS NOW BUDDY. Sports dorks, everywhere in the news.
I know. Never mind that Puerto Rico is absolutely wrecked from a hurricane and there aren't enough food and first aid supplies to go around, no, let's talk about who is or isn't respecting the flag.

Fucking horseshit.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:27 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
I know. Never mind that Puerto Rico is absolutely wrecked from a hurricane and there aren't enough food and first aid supplies to go around, no, let's talk about who is or isn't respecting the flag.

Fucking horseshit.
The PR issue isn't very controversial so it doesn't take long to talk about it. Russia also doesn't have an angle to push with it.
https://www.cnet.com/news/russian-li...anthem-debate/
Member #14

Tags
realspace, serious business