Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 05-13-2018, 02:08 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirnheim View Post
sure it'll be burned down by the forsaken and made into a horde only place for the misunderstood
Quote:
Knowing the utterly contemptible shit-robots the story writers seem to be, she'll resurrect Derek, Daelin, Uther and Terenas somehow despite his remains being cremated who will then all pledge loyalty to the Forsaken, now and forever while then inviting the Horde PC to a gangbang in her throne room while she makes Anduin watch.
How can you be this pissed off for so many years and still be around? Do you... do you enjoy the misery or something?

Anyway as I've said many years before raising Uther might be a very interesting story. If Terenas was the soul of Lordaeron then Uther was the hand, the protector of the kingdom. He failed in that so it would be interesting to see him given another chance to defend the kingdom though a dark version of it with himself not being all sunshine either. Uther failed to see the weakness and faults in Arthas and he failed to stop him when he went off the rails. There must be a lot of bitterness there which would lead to a more cynical Uther though one still committed to the defense and salvation of the people of Lordaeron, trying to make them better than they are. Though if that means turning back towards the precepts of the Light if not the Light itself or something else depends on how writers want to play this. He would be a dark guardian, a protector (), a general, an enforcer, a judge, a leader, a friend and someone to turn the Forsaken into more than a bunch of degenerates.

That said I don't trust the writers to do this because to be what he needs to be to make his story interesting he can't be a Sylvanas flunky and that seems to be beyond them. In general I would love to see Sylvanas raise someone who ends up being a thorn in her side or even her undoing. The Forsaken desperately need good characters who are distanced and ideally opposed to Sylvanas.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:59 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: kam#1475

No, no more of this bringing Alliance heroes back to serve as Horde flunkies bullshit. If anything they should develop more Forsaken characters to serve as that foil. Instead of taking everything from the Alliance and giving it to the Horde for literally no fucking reason at all.

It's demeaning, demoralizing and downright fucking stupid.

Why does Blizzard and some of you people here get off on wanting Alliance content to be switched to Horde for literally no reason at all? It's almost like you just want "Alliance tears" as your motive rather then a good story, which Blizzard is failing to write in BFA.

There is no "fine people on many sides". Uther, Terenas, they are not BOTH SIDES. They are fucking DEAD. DECEASED BEFORE THE EVENTS OF WOW. Blizzard should write new characters to act as foils for Sylvanas if that is what the playerbase wants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Just remember, the Alliance is only ever allowed to passively defend itself against the Horde, and Taurajo was Azeroth's equivalent of the Holocaust.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:52 AM

Arch-Druid

http://bfa.wowhead.com/news=284301/e...hing-footholds

I was hopeful when I heard Umbric was part of the Alliance War Campaign in Vol'dun. Hey, maybe he would get a good story, and we also would get some void elf lore with it?

But instead, you do the whole thing without talking to him once. After establishing your base, a quest mark appears on him and... he complains he's not being used for anything interesting there and wants to be your champion. You recruit him for table missions. The end.

Sight...

I know there's more campaign after that, but since there's no datamined text featuring Umbric at all, I'm afraid that's it. Maybe he's related to the reason the Alleria and the void elves appear to hunt down Galliwyx, but still, what we have so far is not meaningful lore that expands and fleshes out the race.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 05-13-2018, 06:56 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't be too surprised if the story built up to reveal that the Void is, quite literally, the Light's shadow. All the things it rejected about itself and cast off, instead of learning to accept and reconciling with.
Which would basically be the story of the urSkeks in The Dark Crystal splitting themselves of their evil, resulting in the urRu and the Skekses.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:50 PM

Arch-Druid

Old 05-13-2018, 05:02 PM

Elune

Quote:
No, no more of this bringing Alliance heroes back to serve as Horde flunkies bullshit. If anything they should develop more Forsaken characters to serve as that foil. Instead of taking everything from the Alliance and giving it to the Horde for literally no fucking reason at all.

It's demeaning, demoralizing and downright fucking stupid.

Why does Blizzard and some of you people here get off on wanting Alliance content to be switched to Horde for literally no reason at all? It's almost like you just want "Alliance tears" as your motive rather then a good story, which Blizzard is failing to write in BFA.

There is no "fine people on many sides". Uther, Terenas, they are not BOTH SIDES. They are fucking DEAD. DECEASED BEFORE THE EVENTS OF WOW. Blizzard should write new characters to act as foils for Sylvanas if that is what the playerbase wants.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:43 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Mag'har scenario datamined from the new build:

Tyranny of the Light
Stage 1: Travel to Beastwatch
Go to the aid of Beastwatch! It is the site of an impending assault by the Lightbound.
Stage 2: The Lightbound
Defend Beastwatch against the Lightbound assault.
Stage 3: Evermorn Hold
Track down Exarch Orelis in Evermorn Hold.
Stage 4: Exarch Orelis
Defeat the Lightbound Exarch.
Stage 5: Report to the Warchief
Return to Grommash Hellscream at Hellsreach Citadel.
Stage 6: Defense at Brimstone Tower
Use the turret at the top of Brimstone Tower to defend the Mag'har.
Stage 7: Narrow Escape
Escape Gorgrond through the Rift to Azeroth.

The fact that they even have a stage where you fight one of the Lightbound's leaders and it's not Yrel or Garrosh is just weird if they're never going to bring this up again. Also, I wonder if the "escape" is about us just bringing the allied mag'har like Geya'rah, or if all of them come through and the Lightbound basically win? That would explain why they'd be willing to just up and move to Azeroth while their homes are under assault.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:21 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
http://bfa.wowhead.com/news=284301/e...hing-footholds

I was hopeful when I heard Umbric was part of the Alliance War Campaign in Vol'dun. Hey, maybe he would get a good story, and we also would get some void elf lore with it?

But instead, you do the whole thing without talking to him once. After establishing your base, a quest mark appears on him and... he complains he's not being used for anything interesting there and wants to be your champion. You recruit him for table missions. The end.

Sight...

I know there's more campaign after that, but since there's no datamined text featuring Umbric at all, I'm afraid that's it. Maybe he's related to the reason the Alleria and the void elves appear to hunt down Galliwyx, but still, what we have so far is not meaningful lore that expands and fleshes out the race.
Void Elves are now attending the bus that Draenei and Worgen just left. Frustrating how this is a very common trend with new races placed specifically in the Alliance but I guess we just have to come to expect that being how Blizzard rolls from now on.

It's not much but they at least supply troops, though oddly it's their Warrior units that were in the Telogrus Rift. (Those Veiled Riftblades.)

http://www.wowhead.com/news=284362/b...ario-glory-of-
Old 05-14-2018, 04:35 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post

Tyranny of the Light
Go to the aid of Beastwatch! It is the site of an impending assault by the Lightbound.

The fact that they even have a stage where you fight one of the Lightbound's leaders and it's not Yrel or Garrosh is just weird if they're never going to bring this up again. Also, I wonder if the "escape" is about us just bringing the allied mag'har like Geya'rah, or if all of them come through and the Lightbound basically win? That would explain why they'd be willing to just up and move to Azeroth while their homes are under assault.
Grom sends us orcs because of honor, even if they never return. It’s not that he doesn’t still have forces on Draenor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:05 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:

Tyranny of the Light

The mag'har the Horde gets is just a token force.
I too find it weird that this story will probably go nowhere.
I still can't find reason why Blizzard couldn't have used MU!Mag'har instead and save us all the timeline troubles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Void Elves are now attending the bus that Draenei and Worgen just left. Frustrating how this is a very common trend with new races placed specifically in the Alliance but I guess we just have to come to expect that being how Blizzard rolls from now on.

It's not much but they at least supply troops, though oddly it's their Warrior units that were in the Telogrus Rift. (Those Veiled Riftblades.)

http://www.wowhead.com/news=284362/b...ario-glory-of-
Alliance is the home of the asspull races. Let's not forget also the Lightforged, which are getting even less coverage than the void elves.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:27 AM

Eternal

Let's face it, Blizzard's never going to put in the effort for Alliance content that they will for Horde content. Instead, they have to half-ass it; like with the void elves and lightforged. Not to mention taking the Light - a concept that dates back to the founding of the Alliance itself - and making it "morally grey" for the sake of "fine people on many sides" arguments and you have BFA, another piss-poor excuse for writing just like Cataclysm was.

Also this website is slow as hell now. What gives?
Quote:
Just remember, the Alliance is only ever allowed to passively defend itself against the Horde, and Taurajo was Azeroth's equivalent of the Holocaust.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:49 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
I still can't find reason why Blizzard couldn't have used MU!Mag'har instead and save us all the timeline troubles.
The AU!Mag'har seem to fit into their allied race scheme in terms of "we want races that weren't part of the factions before". One would think Dark Irons wouldn't fit that metric, but they seemingly managed to make them fit that as well by making it the Shadowforge Dark Irons we're recruiting.

Quote:
Alliance is the home of the asspull races. Let's not forget also the Lightforged, which are getting even less coverage than the void elves.
I can at least understand the lack of involvement from Draenei. They got a solid showing in WoD and Legion's final patch, and Lightforged were decently involved in that as well.

But yeah, a quest like that? Inexcusable, especially for a race that was given such a shoddy introduction into the setting. I feel like Blizzard has somehow managed to outdo themselves on introducing a new race, because say what you want but Draenei and Worgen at least had outside source material and 1-12 leveling zones fleshing them out a decent bit before putting them on that bus that Void Elves are now occupying. I wasn't fully sold on the idea that the Alliance drew the short straw on quest design team, but that one quest and dialogue written for Umbric pretty much sealed it to me. Alliance got the worst of the two quest design teams working on BfA content.

Speaking of which, I know Genn being involved in cinematics and him being the one to bail Jaina out of Kul Tiras and be accepted by the kingdom again is some nice involvement, but I'm not sure I like how Worgen involvement seems to be lacking in the war campaign. They should honestly be as acknowledged and showcased as possible because this is the only expansion premise they're going to see any kind of use in and once we're back to planet-eating threats, they will sit on that bus again. Why not give them the same love that Draenei got in WoD before inevitably putting them back on that shelf again?

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 05-14-2018 at 06:00 AM..
Old 05-14-2018, 05:49 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Grom sends us orcs because of honor, even if they never return. It’s not that he doesn’t still have forces on Draenor.
Quote:

What makes me wonder about that is the name of the final step in the scenario. Why would just getting a token force while most are still fighting the lightbound require a "narrow escape," which make it sound like they're evacuating/being overrun?

On unrelated news, they're doing what they should have done with the missions in Legion and are using the mission table to give lore about what's going on in the old world without having to update the zones. Several missions are about battles in Darkshore with both the Alliance and Horde being heavily entrenched at different parts of the zone, I wonder if it might be end up being a warfront location?

Animal Research Project Level 120. Item Level 800. 3 Followers. Cost: 20 Resources. Duration: 12 hrs. The animals of the Overgrowth have been behaving strangely since Azerite was discovered in the Wailing Caverns. Capture several species for research.. Rewards: 300 XP
Azeroth Bleeds Level 120. Item Level 800. 3 Followers. Cost: 20 Resources. Duration: 12 hrs. Azerite flows through the Wailing Caverns in tremendous quantities. Do not allow it to fall into the wrong hands of Azeroth's enemies.. Rewards: 300 XP
Bestiary Cleanup Level 120. Item Level 800. 3 Followers. Cost: 20 Resources. Duration: 12 hrs. Set fire to the horde's beastiaries near the Grove of the Ancients in Darkshore. Without their wolves, the horde will be unable to field raiders to send against us.. Rewards: 300 XP
Explore the Roost Level 120. Item Level 800. 3 Followers. Cost: 20 Resources. Duration: 12 hrs. Night elf hippogryphs roost in Shatterspear Vale. Send a strike force to eliminate this base, and ensure horde aerial superiority over Darkshore.. Rewards: 300 XP
Overgrown Animals Level 120. Item Level 800. 3 Followers. Cost: 20 Resources. Duration: 12 hrs. The animals of the Overgrowth have been behaving strangely since Azerite was discovered in the Wailing Caverns. Capture several species for research.. Rewards: 300 XP
Twilight Harvesting Level 120. Item Level 800. 3 Followers. Cost: 20 Resources. Duration: 12 hrs. Remnants of the Twilight's Hammer operate within Blackfathom, harvesting azerite from the planet. Eliminate them, and secure the azerite for the alliance.. Rewards: 300 XP

Also, Crestfall has been renamed to Storm's Watch.

Last edited by Insane Guy of Doom; 05-14-2018 at 06:06 AM..
Old 05-14-2018, 05:59 AM

Eternal

Any chance they can to vilify the Alliance the devs will take. I would have thought that YEARS OF THIS HAPPENING would have sunk in by now
Quote:
Old 05-14-2018, 08:08 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
The AU!Mag'har seem to fit into their allied race scheme in terms of "we want races that weren't part of the factions before". One would think Dark Irons wouldn't fit that metric, but they seemingly managed to make them fit that as well by making it the Shadowforge Dark Irons we're recruiting.
It's a weak reason, IMO. The MU!Mag'har never really joined the Horde. A few of them did, yes, but not in their entirety, most like the dark irons.

Blizzard could easily have Outland not being able to sustain an increasing population of mag'har (it's been almost ten years since TBC, right?), so the mag'har accept to formally join the Horde in mass in order to get a new land in Azeroth or something. We could have them be led by a council of chieftains, with Jorin Deadeye at the head.

It would be simpler, easier and more elegant, IMO. Plus, we would revisit Outland instead of Draenor, which is a plus (we did revisit Outland in MoP and Legion, but it was focused on the Black Temple in both. Would be nice to see how Nagrand is doing).

Quote:
I can at least understand the lack of involvement from Draenei. They got a solid showing in WoD and Legion's final patch, and Lightforged were decently involved in that as well.

But yeah, a quest like that? Inexcusable, especially for a race that was given such a shoddy introduction into the setting. I feel like Blizzard has somehow managed to outdo themselves on introducing a new race, because say what you want but Draenei and Worgen at least had outside source material and 1-12 leveling zones fleshing them out a decent bit before putting them on that bus that Void Elves are now occupying. I wasn't fully sold on the idea that the Alliance drew the short straw on quest design team, but that one quest and dialogue written for Umbric pretty much sealed it to me. Alliance got the worst of the two quest design teams working on BfA content.
I'm crossing fingers for part 3 of the Alliance campaign, since it will be the one featuring Alleria and the void elves hunting down Galliwyx. I hope it's not the ren'dorei just being there, but also exploring their background a little. (But it already bothers me that they'll fail their very first big mission...)

Quote:
Speaking of which, I know Genn being involved in cinematics and him being the one to bail Jaina out of Kul Tiras and be accepted by the kingdom again is some nice involvement, but I'm not sure I like how Worgen involvement seems to be lacking in the war campaign. They should honestly be as acknowledged and showcased as possible because this is the only expansion premise they're going to see any kind of use in and once we're back to planet-eating threats, they will sit on that bus again. Why not give them the same love that Draenei got in WoD before inevitably putting them back on that shelf again?
I like Genn getting the spotlight, but I agree that Genn lore is not the same as worgen lore. Just like I don't consider Alleria's or Umbric's roles void elf lore unless they are used to explain things about the void elves in general.

Blizzard still hasn't find a way to show each race's contributions, strengths and weaknesses. Horde has it a lot better. We reckognize troll shadowhunters and witch doctors; undead dark rangers, plague spillers and alchemists; goblin special forces and so on.

In Alliance it's humans doing everything, with token characters from other races here and there. I think the only other race that sometimes get their own reckognizable troops are dwarves. (Plus the odd gnome engineer or specialist here and there, I guess).

At the very least, Blizzard should take iconic roles and incorporate them better.

Quote:
What makes me wonder about that is the name of the final step in the scenario. Why would just getting a token force while most are still fighting the lightbound require a "narrow escape," which make it sound like they're evacuating/being overrun?
We will need to wait for the scenario to be sure, but I really doubt it's a quick evacuation of the entire mag'har population, as no datamined text talks about it, and it appears Grom is not coming to Azeroth.

Quote:
One of the things that really bothers me about the new Kul Tiras layout is how Blizzard just forgot Zul'dare and Crestfall...

Last edited by Deicide; 05-14-2018 at 09:01 AM..
Old 05-14-2018, 09:02 AM

Hippogryph

I too am kind of puzzled they didn't use MU Mag'har. The last we heard of Outland, it was rapidly deteriorating and refugees were streaming through the dark portal. Seems the perfect way to bring Mag'har into the horde.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:25 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Any chance they can to vilify the Alliance the devs will take. I would have thought that YEARS OF THIS HAPPENING would have sunk in by now
Surely you jest.

When has the Alliance been the bad guys?

How often has the Horde been the bad guys?
Old 05-14-2018, 12:26 PM

Chimaera

Quote:
Hopefully it will show up again later as patch content or something. Having it as just a subzone of Stormsong felt a bit weird to me when it could easily be made into its own zone, much like Zul'Dare.

Quote:
Blizzard could easily have Outland not being able to sustain an increasing population of mag'har (it's been almost ten years since TBC, right?), so the mag'har accept to formally join the Horde in mass in order to get a new land in Azeroth or something.
Seven years, actually. The Burning Crusade was in year 26 per the old timeline from the official site and Chronicle Volume 3, while Battle for Azeroth is in year 33 according to a now removed tweet by Alex Afrasiabi (in any case, it's consistent with how every other non-Cataclysm expansion so far has lasted one year each).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
The last we heard of Outland, it was rapidly deteriorating and refugees were streaming through the dark portal. Seems the perfect way to bring Mag'har into the horde.
That hasn't really ever been stated anywhere, at least not the refugee part. As far as I know, the closest we've gotten to that is that Vargoth mentioned during Warlords of Draenor that the state of Outland is "constantly degrading". Of course, I could have missed some other lore bit from a Legion quest somewhere.

Previous avatars: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Last edited by Pepe Stormstout; 05-14-2018 at 12:39 PM..
Old 05-14-2018, 12:41 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Zalazane is back.

That is why voljin is involved.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:49 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Surely you jest.

When has the Alliance been the bad guys?

How often has the Horde been the bad guys?
They want to have a "fine people on many sides" conflict by making the Light to be "gray", while trying to whitewash Sylvanas and her atrocities because, well, let's face it; Blizzard writers have boners for the undead elf
Quote:
Old 05-14-2018, 12:52 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

So the stuff about voljin turning into a loa is true.

See the proof on discord.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:00 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
I too am kind of puzzled they didn't use MU Mag'har. The last we heard of Outland, it was rapidly deteriorating and refugees were streaming through the dark portal. Seems the perfect way to bring Mag'har into the horde.
MU orcs who avoided years of war, but barely have a culture left vs. au orcs who have spent years fighting against the legion, with culture across many clans and industrialization.

Also au orcs are easier to remember.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:14 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
So the stuff about voljin turning into a loa is true.

See the proof on discord.
Some of us aren't ON discord. What's the proof?

If true, then this is horse shit. Horde gets literal troll gods fighting for them. Sylvanas can do no wrong, and all the high quality shit goes to them? Cataclysm 2.0. And all of the mouth-breathing fucknuggets here will cheer and rationalize it.
Quote:
Old 05-14-2018, 01:33 PM

Hippogryph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Stormstout View Post

That hasn't really ever been stated anywhere, at least not the refugee part. As far as I know, the closest we've gotten to that is that Vargoth mentioned during Warlords of Draenor that the state of Outland is "constantly degrading". Of course, I could have missed some other lore bit from a Legion quest somewhere.
Oops, I might have mis-attributed something someone else said with what's said in game. But I could have sworn there was something about refugees. But then again, the lore's such a mess it seems easy to make those mistakes.

Quote:
MU orcs who avoided years of war, but barely have a culture left vs. au orcs who have spent years fighting against the legion, with culture across many clans and industrialization.

Yeah, I guess so. It's just I want to try to forget the expansion that showed Orcs being the bad guys once again. And as Pepe's signature shows, some parts were cringey as hell.

Last edited by Mungo; 05-14-2018 at 01:38 PM..
Old 05-14-2018, 03:01 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:

"Barely have a culture left"? Just because they were not deeply developed before does not mean they have no culture left. If anything, MU Mag'har have all the qualities AU ones have: multi-clan structure, can use basically any reckognizable visuals from MU orcs, preserved traditions not tainted by corruption and years living isolated in another word, but have way more reasons to move on to Azeroth (and in greater numbers than just a token force to pay a debt).

I originally thought Blizzard chose the AU!Mag'har because they could justify a larger population there, but now that they have been shown to be just a small force, that the main group will stay in their own war, and that the portal is going to be closed off, then I see no reason to use AU over MU.

As for "easier to remember", that's not a reason at all. Most of the allied races are new things. Using an old aspect of the setting and developing it would be way better than what we got, IMO.

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, gilgoblins, mop 2.0 sucks, mop sucks, more like cata 2.0 sucks, quilboar bias, world of warcraft