Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 12-02-2014, 04:16 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
So hey. #Savage. Seen anything fucked up on Draenor?
The Draenei's treatment is, much like Rise of the Horde, pretty upsetting to see.

Bodies piled together to use for demonic stuff. Children hiding in ruined buildings. The dialogue from several Draenei NPCs. I found Talador quite a struggle to get through at times because the stuff going on was depressing.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:48 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
The Draenei's treatment is, much like Rise of the Horde, pretty upsetting to see.

Bodies piled together to use for demonic stuff. Children hiding in ruined buildings. The dialogue from several Draenei NPCs. I found Talador quite a struggle to get through at times because the stuff going on was depressing.
Yeah, that and for some reason the idea of soul eating just really sounds depressing.

I remembered doing Auchindoun and seeing Teron'gor draining some dead Priest's soul and there were 3 other souls right next to him that looked frozen in place. I guess that's what a soul looks like when it's been fully consumed.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:23 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post

All it made me feel is the need to kill all orcs.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 12-02-2014, 07:03 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Shataari citizens (insert apostrophe in the appropriate place) are tortured by fel runes that they're trapped in.

Technically they were part of the Shattrath daily quest, but I couldn't see how to free them.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:11 AM

Elune

My demonic sense is tingling. Someone post pics.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:42 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
Jitters' Journal should be up there. Especially for implying that the Sven Yorgen's family was not only killed, but torn into unrecognizable pieces. Yep.
Will the master behind these Dark Riders ever get revealed?
Old 12-02-2014, 10:27 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
All it made me feel is the need to kill all orcs.
I didn't quite feel it that way. I think in the hands of a good writer it would have made redemption compelling. The motivation the orcs have for doing it isn't really that different from what other humans have used to justify their crimes. Ner'zhul was well trusted and the orcs felt "hey the spirits are actually verifiable phenomenon and those Draenei....they sure are weird and secretive." So in that case it's easy to see why they fell for it (Kil'jaeden also impersonated spirits from other tribes to sway them.)

Arbi.....

1.) Part of it is that the Dranei are the small section of the eredar race that avoided corruption. Given that Velen has seen similar corruption and similar mistakes combined with him maybe feeling that the eredar can be saved it would be hypocritical to deny the orcs the same chance, or to tar an entire race as irredeemably evil for making those choices when his own people made the same.

2.) War Crimes does sort of touch down on this. During Velen's testimony we see flashbacks of the telmor massacre; the orcs in the crowd are shown to be genuinely sickened and disturbed by what they see. It's also implied that many of the older veterans deliberately forgot Shattrath because the guilt of what happened in that place is too much to bear. Saurfang also subtly implies that many took their lives out of guilt for what they had done.

A great what if would be if say....Socrethar tries to make another army from illidan's forces (after he conned you into wiping Illidan out.) Part of this assault on Shattrath composes demons but also fel orcs. Basically it's probably going to be Shattrath 2.0. Various horde forces take part in the assault as defenders against Socrethar (notably Saurfang), alongside Maraad (who has his backstory with Shattrath fleshed out earlier) climaxing in an epic duel with Socrethar or Kargath Bladefist where Saurfang or Maraad both scream "I will not let this happen again." or something like that. Ultimately Saurfang dies in the process, but in doing so takes out Socrethar. In this case Horde kicking ass would be appropriate. Shattrath was the site of their single greatest atrocity (Stormwind is implied to have been goddamn tiny compared to shattrath). Managing to play a massive role in saving the remnants of the race they once drove to extinction could be seen as a step towards redemption. The horde storyline in general could have been the orcs finally coming to terms with their past while the blood elves are forced to confront the increasingly disturbing similarities between them and orc. The orcs could even try to save the blood elves from the same fate.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:15 PM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

The voices you hear in the Throne Room of Lordaeron. Disturbing yet sad at the same time.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:08 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Gnomes and their Clockwork origins.

The Curse of Flesh affecting Earthen-based races makes sense, since it's turning animated rock into a fleshy material. The suspension of disbelief allows a beating heart to be born out of solid, animate rock.

Clockwork gears however... I'd hate to see the innards of a Gnome...
Old 12-04-2014, 06:27 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: toffeeatoms#2825

Death knights, forsaken, on Draenor there was a draenei up a lift as the legion was below, all she had was a dagger, and she was protected a group of children. Made me so sad that we couldn't help her.

The massacre of the elves, the dead scar, (All the bones) and all the draenor stuff for the Draenei.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:20 AM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
The draenic "sainthood" have always been stupid.
And it wasn't what was promised : in the TBC booklet, it was explicitly stated that they entered the Alliance to avenge the atrocious crimes committed by the orcs.