Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2016, 12:06 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Sagara#2842

I'm just surprised you guys didn't move over to the D&D thread, that kind of became the RPG thread?

Enigma will take you where Dogma cannot.
We do not create the path to Ascension, we explore it.**

**That message hasn't.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:07 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Paradox studios who is currently IP squatting it just to sue people who want to make an updated HD Bloodlines like CCP did
Paradox don't strike me as the type to expend money on an IP they're going to let gather dust. They're not a large enough publisher to really get away with doing that willy-nilly.

Besides, better Paradox - a relatively decent publisher to their developers - than say... EA, BioWare or Ubisoft get it. Paradox published Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, Mount & Blade and Crusader Kings, franchises that are very much unique, or at least in the case of the Obsidian RPGs, far more old school. In retrospect, I can't really think of a better publisher to end up with the WoD license.

As for Bloodlines, as far as I'm aware Paradox have already got back together a big chunk of the original developer team for a project that is totally-not-a-WoD-RPG.

Last edited by Drusus; 11-21-2016 at 10:11 AM..
Old 11-21-2016, 07:24 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

The real question is what kind of World of Darkness video games would we like to see? I'm not too big on turn-based RPG, but I can see that type of gameplay being an easy fit. Something else I'd love to see is an action game with RPG elements with the werewolves as playable characters or an RPG that was a lot similar to VtM but expanded to allow you to play as more different monsters and their sub-groups.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:09 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
The real question is what kind of World of Darkness video games would we like to see? I'm not too big on turn-based RPG, but I can see that type of gameplay being an easy fit. Something else I'd love to see is an action game with RPG elements with the werewolves as playable characters or an RPG that was a lot similar to VtM but expanded to allow you to play as more different monsters and their sub-groups.
Another RPG like VtM:Bloodlines. I would love for there to be different monsters and sub-groups as you do but the problem is their goals and perspectives aren't as easily interchangeable as different vamp clans of the same sect. So primarily I'd like another vamp game, ideally set in oWoD. But if the game is big enough to encompass other races that would be all the sweeter.

Also been wanting to post this awesome cosplay of Jeanette I found:

https://faustuscrow.files.wordpress....ustus_crow.jpg

http://66.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7...wa1o3_1280.jpg

Bit pissed off at her atm. I tried to go with the "get sexy with Jeanette" path this playthrough and it didn't work. Most likely because I picked one pro-Therese line in their argument by mistake since I was not sure which one was pro-Jeanette. Or the guide I am following screwed me and I needed seduction skill 4 and not 3 to pull it off, or best case scenario I need 4 to initiate the sexy times in which case it may yet work out.

Anyway I have just reached Downtown. Being a rebellious Brujah I tried to tell the Prince to fuck off but he used Dominate on me to force me
Gameplay wise not impressed with Celerity so far but I've just hit rank 3 and maybe testing that out will change my mind. Going full melee brawler is not easy either, I think it is the lack of Fortitude discipline that is making things hard.

Last edited by C9H20; 11-25-2016 at 07:20 AM..
Old 11-25-2016, 09:02 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
V:tM Redemption had some good concepts behind it as well, pulling in classic RPG game elements but of course was horribly buggy. Both it and Bloodlines are massively flawed but over all pretty solid games, what they did well in both examples they did really well. I really think an MMO is the wrong way to go about this when so much is narrative and choice based in both those cases. I cannot fathom playing either game along side other people... let alone hundreds of other people, the atmosphere, story and immersion would be completely destroyed. Too many of the things that make them both decent games are just lost going for Multiplayer environments. I suppose small cadre of vampires played by friends with the option of NPC like a classic table top game would be doable for some content.

Last edited by Sonneillon; 11-25-2016 at 09:05 AM..
Old 02-28-2017, 05:42 PM

Elune

Since Werewolf: the Apocalypse is in the works (and hopefully doesn't get cancelled), for anyone that's familiar with the setting or has played it before which werewolf tribes would you say you would like to play?

Assuming a lot of tribes are going to be playable, I'm leaning towards Get of Fenris (Nordic bloodthirsty berserkers), Silent Striders (Egyptian necromancers), and Glass Walkers (techno-industrialist businessmen).
Old 03-01-2017, 01:33 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Glasswalkers are the only viable choice. Just because you're a wolf doesn't mean you have to be an animal.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:13 AM

Banished

I hope it gets cancelled and we get Scion tbh
Old 03-01-2017, 08:10 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Glasswalkers are the only viable choice. Just because you're a wolf doesn't mean you have to be an animal.
True, though Silent Striders, Silver Fangs, and Shadow Lords seem to be on the intellectual side as well.

@Genya, you should want this to be good and succeed since if it does then chances are they're going to make a video game franchise out of this and they'll be about the things you like. You don't have to like that this game involves something you're not interested in, but I can't imagine they'll want to touch this franchise again if the first game they make from it isn't successful.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:20 AM

Banished

I'm being cheeky but i dont see this game doing great.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:30 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
I'm being cheeky but i dont see this game doing great.
It has potential, but way to early to tell.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:06 PM

Elune

Looks like there will be a new edition for Vampire the Masquerade.

https://blog.white-wolf.com/2017/06/...itical-horror/

This has me thinking, is old WoD better than new WoD? Personally I think Vampire the Masquerade is a lot better than Vampire the Requiem, but on the other hand I like Werewolf the Forsaken more than Werewolf the Apocalypse.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:06 AM

Elune

I think so too, as far as vamps are concerned, never got too much into the other monster races of the setting though I know the story, mostly.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:20 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
I think so too, as far as vamps are concerned, never got too much into the other monster races of the setting though I know the story, mostly.
Yeah, one could argue both VtM and WtA are better than their successors but I'm a bit more biased to WtF due to it ditching the cliche'd eco-hippie concept for werewolves in favor of making them a sort of border police composed of different tribes who hunt different types of monsters that actively threaten humanity. (All while not really caring about humanity, so much as doing it out of a sense of duty.)

For Vampire, I still find the Masquerade better than the Requiem since there just seems to be plain more diversity in the different vampire clans, and seeing more popular vampire clans like the Tremere or the Malkavians be nixed seems like poor form for a revision... even though the Toreador were also made cooler. Werewolf: the Forsaken feels like a genuine improvement because it takes the most interesting werewolf tribes from Apocalypse and improves upon them even more.

Also made a small image dump of one of the tribes called the Bone Shadows. Perhaps my favorite tribe since they're necromancer werewolves that traverse into the deepest, most hostile parts of the Shadow Realm to hunt spirits and gain knowledge.

http://imgur.com/a/DRgGq
Old 07-06-2017, 06:30 AM

Elune

I just hope we get another RPG video game set in OWoD but I'd be pretty happy with the new as well.

As I've said a few times, I greatly enjoyed VtM:Bloodlines and replayed many times. There are quite a lot of ways to play between differently powered vampires, different demeanor, different social actions and dialogue/action choices.
Any games like that you SoLers would recommend? A good RPG with good gameplay and ideally similar themes to VtM. Preferentially games that are a few years old since my computers are not cut out for high end stuff any more.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:01 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
I just hope we get another RPG video game set in OWoD but I'd be pretty happy with the new as well.

As I've said a few times, I greatly enjoyed VtM:Bloodlines and replayed many times. There are quite a lot of ways to play between differently powered vampires, different demeanor, different social actions and dialogue/action choices.
Any games like that you SoLers would recommend? A good RPG with good gameplay and ideally similar themes to VtM. Preferentially games that are a few years old since my computers are not cut out for high end stuff any more.
I think the closest thing to a vampire RPG are those Legacy of Kain series of games and the recent Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2. (Which basically has you play as Dracula with all his different powers, it's pretty good from what I heard.)

I don't think either of those games can be quite compared to VtM though other than they feature vampire protagonists. They're far more action-driven games, whereas VtM appears to be a game that's more than hack-and-slash action. It's much more personal and has more of an "inner politics" feel to it, a lot of conflict among the different vampire clans.

I have a feeling that one thing about Werewolf that might disappoint people who want another VtM: Bloodlines type of game is that it will likely be far more action-driven, since the main themes behind the Werewolf games are about eternal warfare and brutal conflict. If you compared WoD to Warhammer, werewolves are almost like the "space marines" of the setting since constant warfare places them as having a brutishly short existence and their werewolf form is ridiculously powerful (they can throw a battle tank like it was nothing, their strength practically takes a shit on any other fantasy derivative of werewolves). Even the most pacifist werewolf tribe still has bonuses that make them incredibly formidable.

If this game actually gets off the ground, I predict it's going to be far different than VtM although I still hope it maintains being very largely RPG-ish.

EDIT: Also, since WoD: Online has kicked the bucket can we just rename this to "World of Darkness"?

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 07-09-2017 at 02:10 AM..
Old 07-09-2017, 05:15 AM

Banished

LoS2 is shit

Tags
hilarious in hindsight, mmos, warlocks of draenor