Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 08-18-2016, 11:02 AM

Chimaera

Question Pick a class for me

It's time for me to pick a new class, and I don't know what to choose. I need help from all y'all smart knowledgeable folks who would have an educated opinion on this matter...and I'm sure not gonna take this question to the blizz or mmo-c forums...

I have an unused 90 and 100 character boost. I want to at least make use of the 90 boost now while it's easy to level up (I don't ever want to have to level through wod again...done it twice already, too much!)

Currently I have a max lvl DK and Lock (and Demon Hunter, ofc) so those are off the board. Strength, ranged, and agility classes...I play all of them.

So, which class, and by extension, which spec should I try out?

What I'm looking for:

- Soloability. I don't have the time or the inclination to do any real sort of group activities (certainly not raids) and the deepest I ever go into 5-mans is the very rare random group to finish quests.

- Ability to run legacy content. I'm a completionist, even though I don't run anything while it's still new. I do love me some old raids and such. This goes back to the solo aspect.

- Min/maxing is not something I do. I'd rather have fun than pour over spreadsheets. Granted, spreadsheets can be fun, but it's not what I'm looking for here.

- Obviously not going to need a full-time healer or tanking spec, but the ability to both self-heal and survive sticky situations is a plus.

- Mobility is a nice plus. It's not essential, but some kind of run speed boost ability would be well appreciated. The only reason I got my DK to max level was because of unholy presence, and now that's gone

- EZ mode. Seriously. I don't have any interest in or patience for learning the functionality of dozens of buttons and abilities, or dealing with overstuffed action bars, or figuring out complex rotations. Simplicity is something that I prize...but I don't want to die of boredom either.

- Speed. I like things to die fast and I like to minimize downtime between fights. Fuck sitting down to eat or drink for minutes between every encounter. This ties back into why I like mobility.

- I don't care about races, factions, or character fantasy. I play both alliance and horde, and I rarely pay attention to my own toon. It's the class and spec that matters.

A lot of my pre-conceived notions and opinions about classes are based on experiences from long, long ago (i've been playing since closed beta of vanilla, 2008) So please correct me if I'm off here in any way.

Based on my current desires, I had previously been planning on boosting a ret paladin. That was, until I started hearing grumbling and griping from every corner of the internet about how they're gimped and terrible and not worth considering for the past several months now.

I played a shaman back during vanilla. I hated hated HATED the totem mechanic, having dozens and dozens of those little shits to keep track of, drop every encounter, figure out which to use at what time, so on... I hated it so much it turned me off from wow for about two years. I keep dreaming of the day that totems are removed from the game. I don't suppose this has happened yet?

Rogues, I couldn't deal with the slow-walk while stealthed (see above about mobility) and I wasn't fond of wasting even more time getting into position to backstab mobs. Too slow. Has that changed?

Warriors always felt like an artificially slow class and limited. The one who needs outside healing and first aid to survive a sticky situation, and one who needs to eat after every encounter to get health back (back to the speed issue)

I like the portability of mages, but I'm concerned about survivability and soloability. I also feel like they're another flavor of warrior who needs to drink after every encounter to keep mana up. Truth to this?

Hunters seem like they might be right...but I've always been intimidated by the pets. The whole charm mechanic, the minigame of collecting and feeding and leveling up your pets. Feels like extra work when i want to be doing less. Can i just use the starting pet and call it at that, or do I need to go out and hunt and collect pets of all flavors in order to properly play?

Droodz...eh? Seems like they'd fit me, but I just don't know.

Monks. I haven't heard much. What I have heard is bad things. I always wanted a brewmaster since TFT but they're the tanking spec.

So...yeah, i don't know where to go from here. Help appreciated, thanks!
Old 08-18-2016, 11:15 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Pets really aren't much work, unless you want really rare ones, like some WotLK and Cata rares.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:17 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Man up and go Hunter, play a tank spec, or play Druid. Druids can do everything, especially with how they're handling spec swapping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:19 AM

Eternal

I think -someone correct me if I'm wrong- class trials are avaialble right now where you can try out a class before confirming the boost.

Shamans have way fewer totems than before. The ones that remain are mostly just related to CC. Enhance is a fairly solid and fun spec that's worth trying out. They have easy mobility with Ghost Wolf and Spirit Walk. They can self heal as well. Same with elemental but they feel like they are stuck in place to get off spells.

For hunters, pretty much all the pet stuff you're concerned about is gone. Feed pet doesn't matter. Pets automatically are your level. You can just use your starter pet and you're set. Also if you go MM spec as a hunter you can pick a talent to not use pets.

Rogues don't need to be "behind" their target to use backstab, the sides work. But only Subtlety uses backstab. There's also Outlaw which has a fun pirate theme going with it.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:24 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

You will like Enhancement Shaman.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:50 AM

Problemsolver

There is no class but Druids, and Alamo is their prophet.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:13 PM

Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al'Akir View Post

Rogues, I couldn't deal with the slow-walk while stealthed (see above about mobility) and I wasn't fond of wasting even more time getting into position to backstab mobs. Too slow. Has that changed?
You MUST check this out:

https://gfycat.com/ImpressiveSilkyCaribou

Quote:
Monks. I haven't heard much. What I have heard is bad things. I always wanted a brewmaster since TFT but they're the tanking spec.
And what's wrong? Brewmaster deals as much as damage as WW when leveling, and even more damage when doing dungeons.

Also, Fury warriors are not slow at all

Last edited by Krainz; 08-18-2016 at 03:02 PM..
Old 08-18-2016, 06:10 PM

Arch-Druid

Rogues haven't been slow in Stealth since ... MoP? In WoD you could actually get to epic mount speed with Burst of Speed and Nightstalker.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:38 PM

Chimaera

Wow, thank you all for the information.

Krainz: Regarding brewmasters, it's not the dps that bothers me. All I've heard about monks (again, not so much at all) is that they are as a whole not very fun in Legion. I don't know much beyond that.

It looks like there are a few candidates here: enh shammy, outlaw rogue, druid, and hunter. This may be a particularly very subjective question, but do any of them rely more upon a large variety of abilities to be viable? Or have they all been well pruned? I remember around Cata that playing some classes was like playing the piano, requiring every key plus all the action bars to be available all the time, in case the certain situation where a certain skill was needed came around. Is that sort of thing still going on? I know my DK and Locks have been well pruned.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:46 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

I would have been tempted to go outlaw rogue in Legion, but their uncrowned shit in the class hall just looks so fucking retarded Im not sure I could stand it very long.

Enhancement shaman does look great, though.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:59 PM

Troubadour

Quote:
Wow, thank you all for the information.

Krainz: Regarding brewmasters, it's not the dps that bothers me. All I've heard about monks (again, not so much at all) is that they are as a whole not very fun in Legion. I don't know much beyond that.
Out of all specs I played at Legion, Brewmaster is the less boring one.

Tags
sol therapists, world of warcraft