Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 09-15-2016, 09:10 PM

Hippogryph Rider

Panda What do you think about the Pandaren?

It's been a while since Pandaria came out. And recently we have seen the Pandaren again (mostly because of artifacts and monks quests) But even then. They still are pretty far of what we can call "Spotlight" so i think is a good moment to return, look what they have done and ask ourselves. What do we think about them?

Are they unnecessary? stupid? brillant? are they a good race, or even a good concept? and if the answer is yes. Do you liked how they were used in the first place? what would you have done to them? or in any case. What do you think it would be a good use of them now?

Discuss.

Last edited by Shaman; 09-16-2016 at 05:07 PM..
Old 09-15-2016, 09:34 PM

Eternal

I really like the pandaren. They were handled admirably and I'd love to hear more about them. Thankfully the monk class quests continues their story (which goes to show how much the class is linked to the race).

Truth is I'd have preferred for them to still be an empire, although I'd settle for at least more information on how the pandaren imperial times were, its main difference to the previous mogu empire, and how it related to the Zandalari and Kaldorei empires.

But still, the happiest moments I've felt in WoW have been in Pandaria. They've passed the most beautiful lessons. The end of the (legendary cape?) questline was beautiful, and I've watched it many times.

Thank you, great emperor, thank you.

I greatly enjoy the music that is associated with them, too.

All I want is that they aren't forgotten - if we're lucky, we'll get a focus on race in a future expansion much like this one had a focus on class.

And most importantly, I have a pandaren called Firelord Zzuko, and all is well.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:47 PM

Warden
BattleTag: Namica#1257

Panda

I've been rather obsessed with Pandaren for a long time, and I really love the race.

However I do feel they've dropped the ball in many ways.

To much focus on being peaceful
To much focus on monks
To much focus on mainland Pandaren
Not near enough variety among them
No attempt was made to merge them with the setting.

I've been fighting with this for a long time, and I can't help but admit that Pandaren simply do not fit the setting. They fit in Pandaria.

The problem is blizzard focused to much on just making them "The chinese, but in warcraft". It was to hamfisted. Yes, Orcs have some japanese and mongolian, night elves have some korean, but Pandaren are just straight chinese with nothing really different about them. Their characters tend to fall into two camps: monk stereotypes, and cute stereotypes.

The Sylvari from GW2 are similar in that they feel as if they're something from another setting that was just planted into the main one. Which is actually straight up true for the Sylvari and close for the Pandaren as they were just one of the artists' fursona race.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:18 AM

Eternal

I love pandaren and everything about Pandaria. Pandaren characters are some of my favorite characters overall. But it's weird, I just can't play a panda. I never get far in leveling them.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:22 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

They were fine in Pandaria, and I don't think they need much focus in the outside world, besides a few characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:36 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne_Neritas View Post
The Sylvari from GW2 are similar in that they feel as if they're something from another setting that was just planted into the main one. Which is actually straight up true for the Sylvari
How so?
Old 09-16-2016, 10:44 AM

Elune

The pandaren were a great change of pace, giving us a well-developed society that had an actual functional civilization in-game. There's many things that I would have liked to see, like the regional differences between clans, explanations for some of the class options, and some of their normal interaction with sha corruption, but as they are, they stand out as one of WoW's better additions to warcraft lore.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:46 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I would have just liked to have seen Tushui and Huojin fleshed out more, really wish there had been something more to them than their philosophies.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:48 AM

Warden

I have great hopes that with the Sha effectively removed from Pandaria, since Y'shaarj's heart was destroyed, that we can see more Pandaren break away from the harmonious mindset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
Truth is I'd have preferred for them to still be an empire, although I'd settle for at least more information on how the pandaren imperial times were, its main difference to the previous mogu empire, and how it related to the Zandalari and Kaldorei empires.
Likewise. I enjoyed the Pandaren as they are, and their overall presentation as a race was adequate. However, exploring their culture during its height as an empire would have been far more interesting. There are some pieces that provide insight to the Pandaren empire, mostly the scrolls, but the period is otherwise ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
And most importantly, I have a pandaren called Firelord Zzuko, and all is well.
I couldn't resist making a Pandaren Shaman. Controlling all four elements was simply too good to pass up.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:54 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
How so?
The Sylvari were apparently a race one of the devs had thought up prior to GW2 as a stand alone thing, then injected into GW2. Remember, many of the GW2 devs didnt even play GW1 which is why a lot of the story doesn't fit well with GW1.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:38 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apep View Post
I have great hopes that with the Sha effectively removed from Pandaria, since Y'shaarj's heart was destroyed, that we can see more Pandaren break away from the harmonious mindset.

Likewise. I enjoyed the Pandaren as they are, and their overall presentation as a race was adequate. However, exploring their culture during its height as an empire would have been far more interesting. There are some pieces that provide insight to the Pandaren empire, mostly the scrolls, but the period is otherwise ignored.

I couldn't resist making a Pandaren Shaman. Controlling all four elements was simply too good to pass up.
Same. Honestly I would have had Mogu be playable for the Horde
Old 09-16-2016, 08:36 PM

Eternal

Part of the problem with the pandaren is that they really are a neutral race that's basically completely disconnected from the orc vs. human narrative. Every other race in the game has got a reason to fall on one side or the other, but the pandaren really don't. Ji and Aysa barely have any reason to fall on one side of the faction divide or the other.

The pandaren really presented an opportunity to seed a neutral third faction into the game that had nothing to do with the Horde/Alliance conflict, but I think Blizzard ultimately decided that the faction war was a sacred cow.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:06 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
Part of the problem with the pandaren is that they really are a neutral race that's basically completely disconnected from the orc vs. human narrative. Every other race in the game has got a reason to fall on one side or the other, but the pandaren really don't. Ji and Aysa barely have any reason to fall on one side of the faction divide or the other.

The pandaren really presented an opportunity to seed a neutral third faction into the game that had nothing to do with the Horde/Alliance conflict, but I think Blizzard ultimately decided that the faction war was a sacred cow.
I think giving those two new armor would go a long way. They're wearing pajamas and no one can take that serious.

But yeah, there needs to be something done about the faction specific pandaren. Maybe Ji dies and is replaced by a more headstrong war like figure who isnt a monk?
Old 09-16-2016, 09:18 PM

Hippogryph Rider

I think that it would be interesting to see the development of a pandaren character that isn't a monk. The problem is that they should do more than just presenting him. The same can be said about Ayssa. The other leaders at least had some scenarios, short stories, you know. Ji and Ayssa, apart from the Wandering Isle questline didn't do anything and it is hard to identify yourself with your leader when they are basically non-existent (Even for WoW standards)
Old 09-17-2016, 11:22 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjiro Aragaki View Post
I think that it would be interesting to see the development of a pandaren character that isn't a monk. The problem is that they should do more than just presenting him. The same can be said about Ayssa. The other leaders at least had some scenarios, short stories, you know. Ji and Ayssa, apart from the Wandering Isle questline didn't do anything and it is hard to identify yourself with your leader when they are basically non-existent (Even for WoW standards)
Taoshi has the most development of any Pandaren at this point, and she's a Rogue.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:43 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apep View Post
Taoshi has the most development of any Pandaren at this point, and she's a Rogue.
Wouldn't that be Taran Zhu? Chen? That one kid from the Shado-Pan short story? Even Yalia, who had some background. Lili.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:53 AM

World Builder

I don't like the notion of them playable, and I don't like Neutral Races.

If I'd had my way the Pandaren would've been a merchant empire with factions aligned to the Horde and Alliance each trying to get the Emperor or Empress to assist or join one or the other.

THAT SAID.

Their models are great, their architecture is great, they got a lot of interesting lore even if I don't agree with the overall direction, Blizz did a great job with them, but they and the Shado Pan still came across as a little arrogant/distant/ too... perfect yet somehow helpless.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 09-17-2016, 01:39 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Wouldn't that be Taran Zhu?
Dude's one-note and had zero development. He was a grumpy xenophobe at the start of the expansion and was still a grumpy xenophobe when it ended.

Quote:
Chen? Lili.
Never did their quests and still haven't, so all I know about Chen is from The Founding of Durator and Lili from Pearl of Pandaria.

Quote:
That one kid from the Shado-Pan short story?
It's a nice story, but it provides more information about pandaren culture than creating a memorable character.

Quote:
Even Yalia, who had some background.
Who?

The point I am trying to make is Taoshi is the only pandaren that exists outside of the expansion with any real importance, had decent exposure during it (Townlong, Dread Wastes, Shado-pan dailies), and happens to be something besides a Monk.

Last edited by Apep; 09-17-2016 at 01:45 PM..
Old 09-17-2016, 02:01 PM

Sentinel Queen

Yalia is more developed than Taoshi thanks to Shadows of the Horde but has less exposure than her.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:51 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Probably the most stagnant fantsy race i've ever seen.
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Old 09-17-2016, 02:59 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post
Thats a bold claim considering you're talking about WC which itself has more stagnant fantasy races.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:14 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post
Nelfs and Jinyu would give them a run for their money.

Sadly, so would trolls... especially Zandalari.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-17-2016, 03:32 PM

Sentinel Queen

*hides tauren under a blanket*
Old 09-17-2016, 03:33 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
*hides tauren under a blanket*
Oh god don't remind me.

So embarassing.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-20-2016, 10:20 PM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

Like I've seen thrown around on here. They literally are Warcraft's Hobbits in my opinion. At least. I liked that comparison.

Tags
mists of pandaria, pandas, pandas are cool, pandas sucks, unstable, warcraft