Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 10-14-2012, 11:25 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
So does that mean that Sandfury is Common for Farakki?
Probably, because the Zandalari have Farraki trolls helping them in Kun-Lai Summit (as well as Drakkari, Amani and Gurubashi). The whole Troll-Empire is there.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:44 AM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
That or he's been sending lreports, and never gets any answer back.

I can't imagine some excavator in the middle of Ungoro gets much of Thaurissan's attention.
I'm going with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
* Did Dentarg have two heads, or one head? If he had one head, does this mean that some ogre-magi can have one head (and some standard ogres can have two heads)? And if he had one head, will we ever see an image of what he looks like in modern lore?
The problem here is that WoW established that all ogre magi have two heads, all normal ogres have one head, and there is no overlap.

This was never the case before.

It is like all quilboar and dragonspawn casters are female in WoW, while no males are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleluke View Post
Probably, because the Zandalari have Farraki trolls helping them in Kun-Lai Summit (as well as Drakkari, Amani and Gurubashi). The whole Troll-Empire is there.
I think the Sandfury tribe is the only tribe in the nonexistent Farakki Empire.

Really, the Sandfury are an adapted tribe of Gurubashi trolls. There was never any such thing as a Farakki before MoP.

It is not a translation. The <City minus Zul>i is a name used for empires. The common names are tribes.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:54 AM

The Sun King

Dagg'um Ty'gor is no mage!
Old 10-14-2012, 12:02 PM

Elune

Quote:
I think the Sandfury tribe is the only tribe in the nonexistent Farakki Empire.
True
Quote:
Really, the Sandfury are an adapted tribe of Gurubashi trolls. There was never any such thing as a Farakki before MoP.
I think that they were separated for such a long time, that they just renamed themselves and didn't really think of the Gurubashi anymore.

Quote:
It is not a translation. The <City minus Zul>i is a name used for empires. The common names are tribes.
Probably.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:55 AM

The Sun King

In RoC we see Thrall and Jaina organize a cleansing ritual for the fel-crazed Grom. The ritual is performed together by the priests and the shamans casting anti-magic spells on Grom. To subdue Grom in the first place, Thrall had to carry his soul in a soulgem, which was apparently common enough for Jaina to just randomly pull it out of nowhere. So, one way or another, it is perfectly possible to clean the fel-cursed creatures of their taint.

Well, then why whenever we find a former comrade corrupted by fel in WoW we are given a quest to kill them. Why not just take, say, Kargath Bladefist under guard and perform the ritual? Why not do it with all fel orcs, for that matter? Why is killing the only option?

If there are rituals to turn fel orcs back to normal, why doesn't the Horde just make its main policy in Outland to capture as many fel orcs as possible, cleanse them, then use them to replace wounded and killed troops sent to Draenor? It's a great source of reinforcements, almost on par with the Scourge's!
Old 10-19-2012, 03:05 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Because they don't matter? Thrall had no problem killing all the other fel orcs in the Warsong clan, it's just that he personally cared about Grom and so went out of his way to cure him. It doesn't seem that feasible to capture every fel orc, get an army of priests and paladins and cleanse them, especially when not all of them, even if they were non-fel orcs, would care about the ideals of Thrall's horde.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:09 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Because they don't matter? Thrall had no problem killing all the other fel orcs in the Warsong clan, it's just that he personally cared about Grom and so went out of his way to cure him. It doesn't seem that feasible to capture every fel orc, get an army of priests and paladins and cleanse them, especially when not all of them, even if they were non-fel orcs, would care about the ideals of Thrall's horde.
But, but but, but it's Kargath Bladefist! He's important! He was a member of the Shadow Counc... errr... I mean... a member of the civic community!

Old 10-19-2012, 03:18 PM

Revenant - Moderator

The nature of Gnomeregan's irradiation has been shifted around a few times.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Irradiator_3000

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:19 PM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Cleansing Kargath Bladefist, the celebrated hero of the New Horde, however would be one hell of a propaganda move. Ideals-shmideals - the fact that Thrall was able to continue the conquest of new lands in Azeroth and make the Horde a big political force once again would impress the "old guard" like Kargath! If it worked for a nutcase like Grom, why not for the others?

For some reason, I'm starting to think Thrall was afraid to have rivals from the old Horde and preferred to let the propaganda's legends remain legends.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:32 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Why did Deathwing only destroy The Park and not the rest of the city, say, the Keep or Stormwind Cathedral?
Old 10-19-2012, 11:47 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
Why did Deathwing only destroy The Park and not the rest of the city, say, the Keep or Stormwind Cathedral?
Yeah, this is one of the things they said they'd touch on yet never did.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:04 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Yeah, this is one of the things they said they'd touch on yet never did.
I think there was some fan conjecture that he went to Stormwind so that he could get Onyxia's head, but that still doesn't account for only leveling the Park.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:09 AM

Elune

It's even pointed out in game (in the Vashj'ir intro) that Deathwing destroying the park and nothing else makes no sense.

I think we're supposed to assume he's crazy so did it just because.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:39 AM

Eternal

It might have been answered already and I just forgot, but I was always confused as to why the Darkspear have been praising Zul'jin all the way back to Warcraft 3.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:05 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Grom was relatively useful, a hero to the Horde, a rallying point to keep the New Horde together during a time of crisis. Kargath was a fully corrupted maniac whose underlings were already completely in the thrall of Illidan. Quite a simple explanation really.

DW's little forest fire is the exact reverse, an insane being just doing its thing. I doubt Nelly even cared about Stormwind, and mostly saw it as a tiny roadblock to his greater plans (the usual ego trip that makes for someone's downfall). The Old Gods had blessed him with vision of his immortality and supremacy over the Cataclysm, he didn't even spend a second to think about someone actually having the power to stop it.

Either that or he was only stopping by Stormwind on his way to get icecream for Sinestra. You know how it is when the wife's preggers.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:10 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
I doubt Nelly even cared about Stormwind,
Thanks, now I cant help but imagine Deathwing with a band-aid under his eye.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:15 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
Unless there's any reference to Benedictus being on his side, I've always thought that it could've been him going face to face with Benedictus ("I looked into the eyes of the dragon, and despaired" anyone?), realising he's got a very useful ally, one whose ability to undermine efforts to defeat him may well have been more useful than destroying a whole city (imagine what could've happened if he succeeded in getting the demon soul of Thrall...)

Yeah, it doesn't explain so well why he didn't just destroy the city after that (didn't want to risk losing Benedictus? Realised that if he were to have any major influence, he'd need Stormwind? Would place Benedictus under far too much scrutiny if he were the sole survivor? Could be reasons no matter when he collected Benedictus), but better than nothing I suppose. Of course, if I've been an idiot and missed where he's said to have betrayed before the attack, then disregard.

If I die, blame it on BfA

Last edited by Torch; 10-20-2012 at 02:18 AM..
Old 10-20-2012, 05:13 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Odok#1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Grom was relatively useful, a hero to the Horde, a rallying point to keep the New Horde together during a time of crisis. Kargath was a fully corrupted maniac whose underlings were already completely in the thrall of Illidan. Quite a simple explanation really.

DW's little forest fire is the exact reverse, an insane being just doing its thing. I doubt Nelly even cared about Stormwind, and mostly saw it as a tiny roadblock to his greater plans (the usual ego trip that makes for someone's downfall). The Old Gods had blessed him with vision of his immortality and supremacy over the Cataclysm, he didn't even spend a second to think about someone actually having the power to stop it.

Either that or he was only stopping by Stormwind on his way to get icecream for Sinestra. You know how it is when the wife's preggers.
Well the "original" world event for Cata had DW going to Stormwind to retrieve Onyxia's head, so there is some headcanon that he thunderfucked into Stormwind to get her remains and then peaced out for Blackrock Mountain.

Not that it makes sense why he wouldn't take out some key fortifications in the city before leaving, especially when Cho'gall went to such lengths to try and destroy it. I feel like the devs kinda wrote themselves into a corner with DW: a character defined by his Xanatos-like personality suddenly going irrationally insane, coupled with so much implied ability suddenly constricted by game mechanics. I think I would have much preferred a frighteningly intelligent Deathwing, with more limited power, looming over the expansion... pursuing some gambit that isn't discovered (and foiled) until the final patch.

Insane Chaos doesn't feel threatening when players have zero investment in the actual game world and instead invest entirely into their characters, which are guarded by so much Gameplay Armor that you can't even suspend disbelief in a moment of tension to entertain the thought that they might be externally threatened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtide View Post
For playing a fantasy game, some of you have a really withered imagination.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:44 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Orb of Fire

I'm not sure how much I buy the "Deathwing is insane" thing. For one, its not a diagnosis that is really used in medicine nowadays because the term encompasses a broad range of mental disorders like bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. But that's not really my main point.

Deathwing just doesn't seem mad. When he appeared in Twilight of the Aspects and Dawn of the Aspects, he looked fairly cogent. He spoke rationally with Thrall and had no trouble manipulating Arygos, plus he was able to give clear instructions to the Twilight Father as well. Even in his older appearances in Day of the Dragon and War of the Ancients, his mental faculties seemed reasonably intact. Its not like he was sitting in a ball scratching out his skin with his claws or anything, he's been perfectly capable of carrying out complicated planning. He's of no use to the Old Gods anyway if he can't comprehend the world arround him or accomplish tasks.

So it just doesn't make sense to me that he would fly all the way to Stormwind, presumably with the intent of retrieving his daughter's head so that she can be necromatically reconstructed, and then not accomplish some other goals while he was there. Decapitate the Alliance by fire-bombing King Varian, wreck the harbor so that your naga allies can go about uninterrupted or just kill off some of those heroes that have been taking down guys like Kil'Jaeden and Yogg-Saron. Just knocking over a statue and ruining the garden is not 'insane', it is stupidity and for no apparent reason. That kind of gaping inconsistency should be addressed somewhere.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:52 AM

Eternal

I don't understand why Blizzard didn't tell us the reason for Deathwing only destroying the Park.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:41 AM

Echo of the Past

Sexism in history.

For Dalaran, we see early Warcraft novels verify at least two female members of The Six, serving simultaneously. But I hear that Jaina had to deal with wizard sexism in a different novel.

For the Horde, Rise of the Horde shows female shaman, a Blackrock warlock, a wolfrider, and Draka. And this was in a book where Golden rarely specified the minion characters as male or female. Yet I hear that in WoW, Thrall's equal opportunity rule was seen as a major change.

And I have no idea whether the Human kingdoms supposedly had male and female "footman" during the First Second Third Wars. I'm pretty sure they didn't, of course. (And I think ToD and BtDP is on the males-only side of things.)
Old 10-20-2012, 07:05 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Sexism in history.

For Dalaran, we see early Warcraft novels verify at least two female members of The Six, serving simultaneously. But I hear that Jaina had to deal with wizard sexism in a different novel.

For the Horde, Rise of the Horde shows female shaman, a Blackrock warlock, a wolfrider, and Draka. And this was in a book where Golden rarely specified the minion characters as male or female. Yet I hear that in WoW, Thrall's equal opportunity rule was seen as a major change.

And I have no idea whether the Human kingdoms supposedly had male and female "footman" during the First Second Third Wars. I'm pretty sure they didn't, of course. (And I think ToD and BtDP is on the males-only side of things.)
It would actually be very much accurate for the time period, and it would also make sense for such sentiments to evolve after the great changes of the Third War.

Though Dalaran, of all nations, I'd expect to have little problems with male/female representation.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:33 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Sexism in history.

There were lots of important and influential women throughout history prior to actual laws making rights available to ALL women, I'm guessing some of them are exceptions, rather than the rule, according to the time periods involved.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:53 AM

Arch-Druid

I think 80% of these inconsistencies can be chalked up to this being an MMO so a tight story is folly and this is Blizzard these things are part of the charm.
As for old gods and being killed by Titans they listen to Kamiya, Kill the unkilliable do the impossible, row row fight da powa!
Old 10-21-2012, 12:00 PM

Eternal

What happens when you die.

How Druids control inanimate objects.

The titans chronology.

Where Gnomes get food from.

Tauren level of technology.

Night Elven currency and xenophobia.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of.

Tags
critical thinking, lore