Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 12-04-2013, 12:49 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Still a lot of suggestions that go against the scenario presented.

Sorry, people, you can only do minor alterations. You can't redo whole zones because the work needed would be far too much for the small team.
The scenario has far too much potential, which is why everyone is running rampant with it. No one here has any reason to try and constrain themselves to the scenario because they don't need to worry about actual resources.

Try this:
  • Pick ONE NPC in ONE zone.
  • Provide either a page of gossip text using no more than 500 alphanumeric characters.
    OR
  • Provide quest text for an NPC that matches one of the following quest mechanisms: a) Kill X specific monsters, b) Collect X specific items, c) utilize Quest Item A at this location, or d) Deliver Quest Item B to this NPC. Quest text AND instructions cannot exceed 750 alphanumeric characters.

Go.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:11 PM

Sentinel Queen

Then just add the flight points to Silithus and streamline the quests. That seems to be the most necessary thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaximillian View Post
If BL stands for Blizzard, then yeah.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:21 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Lightbulb

This is probably outside the set parameters, but I'd try to make Arathi Highlands a little more lore friendly. I'd make the tops of the mountains in the area covered with snow, and add buildings to the tops of the mountains much like the farms in Khaz Modan.

I'd also expand Stromgarde's ruins to give it a port district and a castle district(a real one, not just a barracks).

I'd also add a house somewhere in Tirisfal Glades with a bunch of peasants and children inside with an elite Paladin named Von Lordaeron guarding the door.

Last edited by Erthad; 12-04-2013 at 01:25 PM..
Old 12-04-2013, 01:44 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
This is probably outside the set parameters, but I'd try to make Arathi Highlands a little more lore friendly. I'd make the tops of the mountains in the area covered with snow, and add buildings to the tops of the mountains much like the farms in Khaz Modan.

I'd also expand Stromgarde's ruins to give it a port district and a castle district(a real one, not just a barracks).

I'd also add a house somewhere in Tirisfal Glades with a bunch of peasants and children inside with an elite Paladin named Von Lordaeron guarding the door.
Only if the siege was lead by a valkyr named Xil
Old 12-04-2013, 01:55 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromash View Post
Fix the goddamn Mistweavers, maybe giving them a stance properly designed to FISTWEAVE (those familliar with the class mechanics will understand) and leaving the Wise Serpent one for MISTWEAVING.
They are doing that For WoD.. But they are not gonna change our mastery (Windwalker) which sucks .
Old 12-04-2013, 02:04 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Odok#1101

Troll the Alliance as hard as possible and throw a bunch of red herrings into the files to fuck with dataminers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtide View Post
For playing a fantasy game, some of you have a really withered imagination.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:05 PM

Eternal

I'm thinking the problem with the question is that little fixes aren't going to cut it for the most glaring problematic zones and such. They need complete overhauls in a lot of cases.

Not to say it's a bad topic. I think we just think a lot of the issues of these zones. What seem like small changes to us are big changes for a development team.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:59 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Here's an idea similar to the one about art, but much easier to implement: readable books. Vanilla and MoP already have these, usually to provide context about the setting. One way to further flesh out the setting is to have excerpts from popular novels or political tracts.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 12-04-2013, 04:15 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
"Comic book" has become code for a genre due to the predominance of "superhero comics." Misuse? Perhaps, but it's common usage.

I may come up with a list of my own for this thread.
Indeed. Comic book has become a keyword for bombastic and sensationalist writing, basically cheap writing. Writing that doesn't involve a lot of thought and depth.

As Anasimedesstrum has said it does not hold true for all works but it does hold true for enough works to be a cliche.

It is just... so American
Old 12-04-2013, 05:36 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by destron View Post
Here's an idea similar to the one about art, but much easier to implement: readable books. Vanilla and MoP already have these, usually to provide context about the setting. One way to further flesh out the setting is to have excerpts from popular novels or political tracts.
Yes, this is something I'd love to do as well.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 12-04-2013, 08:09 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Yes, this is something I'd love to do as well.
Tracts would especially be interesting, as you could get some idea as to what the people in the various societies believe. Literacy seems to be pretty common, at least in the Alliance. While some might be relevant to the faction war or larger affairs, it'd be interesting to see tracts reflecting domestic issues, like the role of the church in Stormwind.

Or maybe some complaint about the warlock magic that seems to be thriving in every city even though it's supposed to be illegal.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 12-04-2013, 08:37 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Quaero#1875

Quests and NPCs hidden server side, scattered everywhere, with long storylines and lore tidbits.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:09 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: AJF#1946

I'd make Stormwind not criminally useless and boring.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:26 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWunclerIII View Post
I'd make Stormwind not criminally useless and boring.
Stormwind is the best city in the game though. It actually feels like a city, full of life with npcs interacting and doing things other than standing around for player convenience. Some shop vendors even have different dialogue depending on what in-game holiday it is!

I have a feeling that's why there was that odd forum post asking what people's favorite parts of Stormwind were a few months ago; so Blizzard can narrow down what flavor/ambiance additions to put in Karabor and Bladespire.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:30 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Stormwind is the best city in the game though. It actually feels like a city, full of life with npcs interacting and doing things other than standing around for player convenience. Some shop vendors even have different dialogue depending on what in-game holiday it is!

I have a feeling that's why there was that odd forum post asking what people's favorite parts of Stormwind were a few months ago; so Blizzard can narrow down what flavor/ambiance additions to put in Karabor and Bladespire.
I think what he means is making Stormwind more interesting Lore-wise. The way the city looks, outside of the Park district, is definitely the least of its worries.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:22 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: toffeeatoms#2825

This - http://wewant4specsnow.wordpress.com/

That purifier spec... That would make my life complete....

Please, please, lets make a campaign, or a petition or something... Please. Please.please.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:38 PM

Arch-Druid

Ok, trying to be more clear on what you could or could not do:

- You can do cosmetic changes to terrain as long as they don't require new models/art.

- You can create new NPCs of any level and make small cosmetic changes to current NPCs.

- You can add/remove/change gossip text from NPCs.

- You can add/remove/revise/update quests, but you can't do big changes to whole storylines.

- You can make small use of phasing (a few NPCs or items appearing on one area), but nothing big.

- You can't advance storylines except in the slighest way, nor can you change lore. At most, you can update old storylines to reflect current lore, or put small hints of possible future developments.

- You are free to make changes to terrain/places that are not currently used (free space that already exists in maps and is not used for quests/storylines/events).

- You may add existing music to play in areas that normally wouldn't play them.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 12-08-2013, 05:43 PM

Eternal

I'd take the music that plays during the Bronjahm encounter, and play it in all Goblin settlements.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:45 PM

World Builder

Runes

I'd add Hozen to the Darkspear Isles where they help the trolls gather fish and things.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-09-2013, 04:02 AM

Arch-Druid

I shall focus on Blood Elves first; sun knows they need it updates that are in their home lands, as, like the Draenei they are stuck 10 years in the past. And yes, I know everyone will moan at me. I would like to see all of Eversong and Draenei lands updated with better graphics. Spending 5 hours an evening within triangle trees and square bushes tends to give headaches. All of this changes do not take place until after Cataclysm.

-Falconwing rebuilt and the surrounding area rebuilt, the Farstriders using one side as a base to train new Farstriders, display ‘younger’ elves shooting arrows, sword fighting, even using minor magic. Give them things to say “I fight for the regent, he was a Farstrider too, he is my inspiration” “look, I have a sun-eye patch too!” “Look at that, good shot”. Ect, show that the elves are still getting back on their feet, training the next generation. Also at the –training grounds- which is at the gate up the steps in the corner.

-The other side, have ‘noble’ elves walking around, some in armour, others in simple gear or robes. Walking around all snobby and awesome, also one of the larger buildings given to the reliquary as a base of operations. Inside this building it can be filled with a series of relics and artefacts from known digs around the world, Along with a ‘recruitment desk’ with further flavour text for Blood Elves, and declining of any horde.

-The falthrien academy updated for new mages, adding chairs and tables, along with some bookcases or chests. On the Higher levels blood elf mages can be trained, on the lower, horde mages are being trained by Blood Elf magi. All having their own text, some of the horde hating and loving it, Blood Elves being the arrogant elves they are and moaning about the horde being allowed to teach (Regent’s idea is hinted at)

Silvermoon... Keep the Fel crystals, I likes them, but add more arcane and light focus, rebuild what’s broken, update and polish up a few bits. Change the priest, warlock, mage and rogue sanctums with more flavour texts and npcs, show them working, studying or teaching, show them doing something! Some could have even adopted horde dress, or changed to be more pro-horde, others still proving a little old fashioned.

NPCS EVERYWHERE – Scyers, Sunreavers, magi, blood knights, citizens, priests, give us some people in the city, all with updated speeches, all seemingly with tasks and things to do, some even offering services like professions or reagent vending. Silvermoon was dead, but it is living again! Let us see that.

Priests given a little more attention in the spire, perhaps we speak to them and they are conflicted or meditating on the changes to the kingdom, perhaps some text with a priest speaking to a citizen discussing problems and offering advice or healing. Really show that Blood Elves do have the best priests, and they are bloody useful. Oh, and give them a uniform or something.

The ‘temple’ – Blood Knights updated to reflect their ever changing perspective, kick the Farstriders out (Yes, I know its Farstriders square but sush) and use the area for the training of blood knights and warriors. With the large gates open towards Falconwing (through the bazaar and I think court of the sun) hunters can access their trainers there. I would like to see a very, very few Knight masters, these have text talking about the old ways, how the sunwell is great but... but also some others displaying different mind sets. The new Initiates speaking in veneration of the Blood Knights and Priests of Silvermoon.

Behind Silvermoon build a large docks, showing ship making, the bringing in of materials from the horde, have some horde running around carrying things, even barking orders and demanding the elven ships are fitted with more metal spikes. MORE! Show some of those Beautiful elven destroyers, fitted with barrier mages/priests and laser crystals. Even have an Elven building that has been decorated in an orcish manner, with npcs drinking and gambling with elves and each other. Also! Having a ship that runs back and forwards to Quel’danas

-In Eversong, I don’t think the deadscar should be removed, however bridges placed over it, I wouldn’t mind seeing a magical waterfall starting at the city (think statues and embellishments detailing remembrance of the fallen, like the ring around the Sunwell with the elves reaching towards it. Beautiful, I would like to see more of that) and running down the dead scar, directed with wood planks or stone, even a little building starting around the scar.

Ghostlands... This one is always a little bit of a problem to me; I think I don’t want it returned to its former glory. However I would like to see some rebuilding, Suncrown, whisperwind, Goldenmist all either rebuilt, or being rebuilt AFTER the players 85 return.

Small docks placed at whisperwind, connecting it and the small isle the night elves had taken over, goblins could have been granted PORT ONLY rights, not allowing drilling and ect.

Most, if not all of the troll locations destroyed or in the processes, have mages ripping it apart with farstriders aiding. Most of the Jungle trolls have gone, or have retreated; they are on the back foot if memory serves me.

Deathholme, I don’t know about this area, but I don’t think it should be touched. Perhaps the elves would raise it, I don’t know; don’t really have anything for this.

Quel’danas – Sunwell is cool, protecting everything, the elves here feel GREAT! Rebuilding has started, the entire island is covered in guards, mages, priests, blood knights all clearly studying, using the magic of the sunwell. All Fel-crystals have been removed from the buildings, rebuilding is ongoing. The port has been fixed up, players cannot summon demons or shadow energy here, a nice debuff called ‘eyes of silvermoon’ which prevents casting. NPCs are updated to revere the sunwell, naaru and ect. There is still a small Draenei presence, ambassadors, priests and vindicators; they are guarded by Silvermoon guards or blood knights. Horde and alliance are not permitted to come here anymore! Perhaps a small quest can be added to push you in to the new phase of the land.

Ummm. Thats all I can think of, and I haven’t done any work yet so should focus.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:08 AM

Arch-Druid

Some more!

I would give some high elves verdant eyes, as it has been stated that if they have been around fel they have them.

Update Argent crusade to have pushed in to Caer darrow, even if a few NPC at the beach, setting up a camp or something.

In front of orgrimmar, have the orcs discover the wonders of irrigation systems and using that marshland changed from the cataclysm, starting to rebuild farms using this.

Flocks of peaceful Manawyrms flowing around buildings and throughout the city in Blood elven lands/buildings.

ALL NPC Everywhere given clothing that works, is suitable to their race/station. Rather than a miss-mash of stupid.

More wildlife (Non-combat) everywhere, including birds and fish.

DAY AND NIGHT CYCLE!

Old 12-10-2013, 07:19 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Oh man, where would I start?

I'd start with making sure that Belorealah never gets hired.

Then I'd start with my own personal interests. Stromgarde and the Hinterlands!

I would update The refugee point with walls and real buildings. Show civilian npcs walking around and being in these houses, gossiping about Stromgarde and it's history.

Same with Hammerfall. Orcish buildings and stuff.

Work a little on the Human sector of Stromgarde city. Add a city hall there with flavour npcs. Characters from the rpg would be there like Ariana Thesslocke. Show workers repairing the houses.

I would add walls and stuff to Aerie Peak and Quel'danil. The troll and Forsaken assaults should have prompted them to fortify. I would then beg one of the artists to recolour the TH wildhammer buildings a little so they'd fit in Hinterlands. Add these in Aerie Peak.
Replace the buildings of Quel'danil with high elven coloured thalassian buildings. The main lodge would hold a meeting like the one in Old Hillsbrad. The high elves would have gathered representatives from Aerie Peak, the Draenei leader who helped them repel the forsaken, some from the Silver Covenant and a few from the night elven greenwarden's grove. They'd discuss the Forsaken and troll problems, highlighting the encroaching frontlines as Icewind camp can't last forever without aid. As Varian seem to be unable to do anything up north they'd need to prepare for when the Forsaken warmachine marches south of Caer Darrow and north of Durnholde keep. Plans to vacate Quel'danil and move to Seradane is the reason why the night elves are there. All talk but it'd be nice to see some non-human activity.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 12-10-2013, 07:21 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
Oh man, where would I start?

I'd start with making sure that Belorealah never gets hired.

D'aww I was expecting more from you.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:24 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by belorealah View Post

D'aww I was expecting more from you.

Erase the verdant crap for high elf npcs and I'll keep my hands off you.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 12-10-2013, 07:32 AM

Arch-Druid

We are opposing sides of the same family. And the High Elf with verdant eyes is cannon. Sadly, I cannot access the Wow forums at work thus, I cannot show you.

It was answered in a lore Q+A with the big bad bosses (Which one escapes me)

Oh well!

You know, I like High Elves, they could be cool and fun, they just are not currently. Bland plot-tools. Blood Elves is where the fun is at...

Tags
crushed dreams, fanwank, hhh, jjj