Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 08-02-2015, 09:05 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
Grom should hang in the nearest tree.

Slay the Forsaken, all of them.
Hey, don't pick on the Forsaken. They didn't do nothing bad this expansion. They didn't do much of anything at all, actually.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:12 AM

The Sun King

Oh, wow, they actually added the Laughing Skull clan in WoD? Let's take a look...

*looks it up*

Aaand, just as expected, it's nothing like it is supposed to be. The deceptive clan of liars and assassins is instead so "WAAAGH berserk" that even the Iron Horde's too normal for them. No mention of Mogor either, instead he's looking over a gladiator ring ("LOL, JUST LIKE TBC", 'cause THAT'S where Mogor totally came from). AND HE ONLY HAS ONE HEAD!!!

Man, the lore is seriously WRONG in this expansion. I'm just happy it's only an alternate version, and not the real deal.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:15 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Man, the lore is seriously WRONG in this expansion. I'm just happy it's only an alternate version, and not the real deal.
Sad to say this, Lord Kir, but the official stance is that the differences are only incredibly minor, with the repeated adage of the differences just being "blades of grass".

The bladewind and whiteclaw clan look extremely annoyed.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:29 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Sad to say this, Lord Kir, but the official stance is that the differences are only incredibly minor, with the repeated adage of the differences just being "blades of grass".
Bla-bla-bla, I trust my eyes, not the word of twitter that gets forgotten the next day. No way is this the same world. I suppose they wanted it to be so originally (comments like "that's not a time travel expansion" show it), but it didn't quite make the cut. It's one thing to expand on the old worldbuilding, but to forget (or completely change) something that you've created not so very long ago is impossible. It's just easier to blame it all on "alternate version world" (like the one in TOTA), instead of trying to reconcile the bizarro version of the world and characters with the original ones.

Quote:
See, the novels that made up those (RotH and BTDP) also weren't perfect, conveniently forgetting some moments and mudding up others, but it wasn't on the same scale as WOD - I could still imagine the events of old games and novels happening roughly in the same world. WOD just gives me a different Draenor, with a different Kilrogg, a different Kargath, and an extremely different Ogrim Doomhammer. Orgrim fucking Doomhammer protesting to Blackhand that they shouldn't kill innocent draenei. What. The. Hell. Even in LOTC, where Doomhammer was obviously sweettalking before a clueless Thrall, he still couldn't hide his susrprise and amusement at the fact that Thrall tried to stop needless looting and slaughter of human peasants. And here he speaks out for the DRAENEI? Against BLACKHAND, who couldn't suspect Orgrim of being anything but his most devoted friend up until the end?

Yeah, sorry, it just doesn't work. Does not compute. Defies in-verse explanation. The only rational answer is: everything is indeed very different. The whole PURPOSE of Horde's invasion on Azeroth becomes BOGUS if there is a whole goddamn Ogre Empire to destroy.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:42 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Bla-bla-bla, I trust my eyes, not the word of twitter that gets forgotten the next day. No way is this the same world. I suppose they wanted it to be so originally (comments like "that's not a time travel expansion" show it), but it didn't quite make the cut. It's one thing to expand on the old worldbuilding, but to forget (or completely change) something that you've created not so very long ago is impossible. It's just easier to blame it all on "alternate version world" (like the one in TOTA), instead of trying to reconcile the bizarro version of the world and characters with the original ones.

See, the novels that made up those (RotH and BTDP) also weren't perfect, conveniently forgetting some moments and mudding up others, but it wasn't on the same scale as WOD - I could still imagine the events of old games and novels happening roughly in the same world. WOD just gives me a different Draenor, with a different Kilrogg, a different Kargath, and an extremely different Ogrim Doomhammer. Orgrim fucking Doomhammer protesting to Blackhand that they shouldn't kill innocent draenei. What. The. Hell. Even in LOTC, where Doomhammer was obviously sweettalking before a clueless Thrall, he still couldn't hide his susrprise and amusement at the fact that Thrall tried to stop needless looting and slaughter of human peasants. And here he speaks out for the DRAENEI? Against BLACKHAND, who couldn't suspect Orgrim of being anything but his most devoted friend up until the end?

Yeah, sorry, it just doesn't work. Does not compute. Defies in-verse explanation. The only rational answer is: everything is indeed very different. The whole PURPOSE of Horde's invasion on Azeroth becomes BOGUS if there is a whole goddamn Ogre Empire to destroy.
Blizzard broke Kir.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 08-02-2015, 09:45 AM

Elune

Quote:

Pfft, bringing sanity and common sense into this? That's just playing dirty.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:21 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Pfft, bringing sanity and common sense into this? That's just playing dirty.
Well, yeah, it's fantasy, but I have to enjoy my fantasy as whole, not to think of parts that don't count as canon anymore!

I am now at the point that I'm looking forward to the Movieverse to see how a reboot of the franchise might work. Seriously. WoD already feels like one, and it would be suited better as one.

Can we have, like, a "normal Warcraftverse" and an "metal shaman WoDverse", with different canons? Might throw out a "WoW-less Warcraftverse" too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
Blizzard broke Kir.
Well, they should at least respect their own material. Is there ANY source depicting Doomhammer as being even remotely nice? The noblest of his deeds I can think of is restraining himself from smashing Perenolde's head and promising on his honor to protect Alterac, plus, eh, being less of a dick when he and Durotan toured a Draenei town (even there, he should have agreed to take a freaking bath from the start). Oh, also: feeling guilty about betraying Blackhand.

Doomhammer faced the same dilemma in RotH that he did in WoD. Before any shenanigans with demon blood. What did he decide? Continue with the slaughter, so that Blackhand-sama respects him a lot more.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:29 AM

Elune

Quote:
Well, yeah, it's fantasy, but I have to enjoy my fantasy as whole, not to think of parts that don't count as canon anymore!

I am now at the point that I'm looking forward to the Movieverse to see how a reboot of the franchise might work. Seriously. WoD already feels like one, and it would be suited better as one.

Can we have, like, a "normal Warcraftverse" and an "metal shaman WoDverse", with different canons? Might throw out a "WoW-less Warcraftverse" too?
Note: I am not, in fact, disagreeing with you. I'd rather keep sanity and common sense in play as well. Just warning you not to expect that with the alternate universe going forwward.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:39 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Note: I am not, in fact, disagreeing with you. I'd rather keep sanity and common sense in play as well. Just warning you not to expect that with the alternate universe going forwward.
Why not? Come next expansion, WoD will be forgotten, just like any other mountain of content before it. Might as well do it right now.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:19 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:

I don't think they meant to say there would be minor differences, just that if someone was forgotten or different, it's a blade of grass effect. Most parallel universes aren't 1:1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:07 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Doomhammer got whitewashed in WoD just so the Orc fans can keep believing he wasn't a monster.

He'll also be whitewashed in the movie.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:24 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
Doomhammer got whitewashed in WoD just so the Orc fans can keep believing he wasn't a monster.

He'll also be whitewashed in the movie.
That avatar is starting to really suit you.

Note: Don't take that as an insult.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:30 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
That avatar is starting to really suit you.

Note: Don't take that as an insult.
He should change his nickname to MoodyAlly.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:23 AM

Elune

On the topic, there really isn't much to negotiate about. The Iron Horde has not managed to take much territories, the draenei don't seem like an expansionist lot (which means there's little point to exchanging territories), nor do they have the economic basis that makes reparations possible.

Destruction of the siege equipment and the facilities for producing them is the only real thing I can think of. You could try to go for prosecuting individuals, but that might simply provoke more fighting due to the fact you're only really targeting chieftains, which is what a peace negotiation is trying to avoid. Maybe throw in 'free passage for draenei preachers', since spreading the gospel of Light is something draenei should have been trying anyway. Returning all draenei remains to be entombed in Auchindoun is another thing that should probably be required in negotiations.

Last edited by ijffdrie; 08-03-2015 at 07:26 AM..
Old 08-03-2015, 07:14 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

I use that avatar for my facebook, after it got some created editing by a guildie.

Oh, and trying to get Grom executed will just lead to more fighting, and if Exarch 'I'll have your head' Yrel can make bygones, I guess the rest of the space squids can!

As for my Paladin, he's just getting ready to fight whatever army of Orcs appear on Thursday...
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 08-04-2015, 10:51 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
On the topic, there really isn't much to negotiate about. The Iron Horde has not managed to take much territories, the draenei don't seem like an expansionist lot (which means there's little point to exchanging territories), nor do they have the economic basis that makes reparations possible.

Destruction of the siege equipment and the facilities for producing them is the only real thing I can think of. You could try to go for prosecuting individuals, but that might simply provoke more fighting due to the fact you're only really targeting chieftains, which is what a peace negotiation is trying to avoid. Maybe throw in 'free passage for draenei preachers', since spreading the gospel of Light is something draenei should have been trying anyway. Returning all draenei remains to be entombed in Auchindoun is another thing that should probably be required in negotiations.

Uum.. why would that be a bad thing, prosecuting orc chieftains who led and heavily participated in the fighting? Prosecuting and punishing high ranking officers and leaders of a defeated enemy is common. As it should be. Now if you think the IH should be treated nicely because it might cause bad feelings why should anyone give a flying fuck what the defeated Iron/Fel Horde thinks or feels? They've been stomped into the ground. Twice. Hard. Any peace negotiations should be along the lines of making sure the IH/FH orcs are no longer a threat to the Frostwolves and Draenei again. If that means stick the knife in and twist, then twist the thing until it snaps off. Peace negotiations, or this SHOULD be called the IH terms of surrender are as harsh as they need to be. It's not like the IH doesn't deserve hard surrender terms delivered to it, and its surviving officers (chieftains and their subordinates) prosecuted and executed.

Mercy should be given to defeated enemies, IF they deserve or have earned it. The IH and its surviving leadership haven't earned, nor do they deserve it.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:19 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynrind View Post
Uum.. why would that be a bad thing, prosecuting orc chieftains who led and heavily participated in the fighting? Prosecuting and punishing high ranking officers and leaders of a defeated enemy is common. As it should be. Now if you think the IH should be treated nicely because it might cause bad feelings why should anyone give a flying fuck what the defeated Iron/Fel Horde thinks or feels? They've been stomped into the ground. Twice. Hard. Any peace negotiations should be along the lines of making sure the IH/FH orcs are no longer a threat to the Frostwolves and Draenei again. If that means stick the knife in and twist, then twist the thing until it snaps off. Peace negotiations, or this SHOULD be called the IH terms of surrender are as harsh as they need to be. It's not like the IH doesn't deserve hard surrender terms delivered to it, and its surviving officers (chieftains and their subordinates) prosecuted and executed.

Mercy should be given to defeated enemies, IF they deserve or have earned it. The IH and its surviving leadership haven't earned, nor do they deserve it.
The primary purpose of a peace negotiation is the creation of peace. As a result, the combined sum of the treaty must be considered preferable to continued fighting by both sides.

In orcish society, warriors swear personal allegiance to at least the warchief, and almost certainly their chieftain. They have vowed their honor to the service of their chieftain. Given the heavy emphasis on honor throughout all ranks of orcish society, you're not going to have the warriors hand over the chieftains without a fight. Hence, attempting a peace treaty with this as a requirement is entirely pointless. You could certainly choose to continue the war if you place a high enough value on justice (and justice alone, as there are no other gains to be made) compared to the lives that would be lost, but this thread is about negotiating a peace.

For a good real life equivalent, think of the Japanese Imperial family following World War II.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:13 PM

Banished

The United States crushed Japan and had it lose all seized territory. WoD's ending is not even close to Japan's situation post-WW2.

The ending is more like the Western Ally leadership ordering to buddy up with Stalin after he helped fend off an alien invasion instead of confronting him for his antics before and during the war. WoD has yet another "There must always be an X!" ending.

Last edited by Galdus; 08-04-2015 at 02:27 PM..
Old 08-06-2015, 07:23 PM

Treant

do nothing act surprised 6-10 years down the line when the orcs return for genocide part 2: electric boogaloo
Old 08-06-2015, 08:00 PM

Elune

Kill all Forsaken

Yes I know we aren't negotiating between the Alliance and Horde, that should be a clause anyway
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:01 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Kill everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:10 PM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Kill all Forsaken

Yes I know we aren't negotiating between the Alliance and Horde, that should be a clause anyway
Make your case. Convince Durotan, Yrel, and Grommash that it's in their best interest to go to our world and do this. The floor is yours, alliance advisor.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:11 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
Make your case. Convince Durotan, Yrel, and Grommash that it's in their best interest to go to our world and do this. The floor is yours, alliance advisor.
We'll fuck you up if you don't. Your forces are weak and broken. Do as we say or die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:23 PM

Druid of the Claw

Dalaran is Neutral, Khadgar seems to be leading the Kirin Tor, Neutrality wins!
Old 08-06-2015, 08:37 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
The Forsaken are assholes and since we came and took out their trash they need to come and take out ours.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.