Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 10-14-2011, 11:23 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
So... If I'm understanding what you're saying. Girls getting it on and a pretty sure chance of being able to join in is what deterred you? I can't think of a better religion.
No, not at all. I just don't get how that's a religion and not an orgy. To be honest, if that's how church services usually go, I'd attend every Sunday. And that's because I'm probably more perverted than a good Christian should be, but that's my problem.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:26 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orifiel Whitedeer View Post
Oh I'm not doubting you I'm just saying christians get in a good burning now and again.

Since, generally, pagans only congregate in small, tight-knit groups at a person's house or at UU churches or even just out in the woods, its harder to burn down a building.

Its a whole other matter to say, work with people who go from thinking you're christian to finding out your not. The tone of the interactions change and become "uncomfortable" and they tend to just stay away because they think you "worship Satan" or "will cast evil revenge spells" on them or something retarded.

They don't take the time to ask or have the open mind to accept the difference, and it usually just ends up badly.
Well, if you wouldn't go making creepy voodoo dolls of all your co-workers, you'd probably gain more acceptance...
Old 10-14-2011, 11:29 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
I went to a pagan moon ceremony once that turned out to be nothing more than college girls getting naked and fucking each other to please their goddess, while the guys they invited were allowed to watch and, if they converted, were allowed to participate.

I have trouble accepting paganism as a valid "religion." Perhaps you could explain it to me and clear up my confusion.
*face palm*

Those were not pagans, they were retards. they sound "Wiccan" which is a religion invented by a man in the 1920's so he could have massive orgies with submissive women. That being said, I don't have a lot of respect for Wiccans. Most see all paganism as Wicca, and most Wiccans think its an ancient religion, they're just misinformed and well, in most cases, dumb as posts in my experience.

Pagan is a catch all term from the roman phrase meaning "of the land" or "of the earth" It described people, depending on the system, who believe in many gods representing natural things like the forest, the sun, the moon etc.

There is paganism all over the place, with vastly different methods of worship...but given your lust for life, I'ma start with the Norse Tradition.

Norse paganism surrounds the idea of battle, glorious death in battle, and going to the great halls of Valhalla where big-breasted woman served you endless feasts.

This image varied based on who you were, of course, and you can even choose where you want to end up based on how you worshiped.

Some people chose Valhalla, others who were good people but did not die noble deaths ended up somewhere else, that was not as good but certainly nice and pleasent.

These pagans did sacrifice clean animals and offered their blood in return for favor with their chosen deities (blood for Odin anyone?) and usually ate the slaughtered animal afterwords.

In this tradition, women were the magicians and men were the warriors. Magic was considered women's work and if you were a male magician...people questioned your cahones. Why? Because some believed in order to be given magic power you had to go through a ritual, Via the goddess Freja, in which you are possessed by male spirits and given the power that way. (TLR - ewwww nigga you gay!)

Phew....ok that's enough for this post. Is there anything specific you want to know about Norse paganism or any other cultures? I look this stuff up for fun .

My fanfiction: Straydog Saga / Coldnose: COTFT / Imajin That! / Mortally Wounded
Old 10-14-2011, 11:30 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
I went to a pagan moon ceremony once that turned out to be nothing more than college girls getting naked and fucking each other to please their goddess, while the guys they invited were allowed to watch and, if they converted, were allowed to participate.

I have trouble accepting paganism as a valid "religion." Perhaps you could explain it to me and clear up my confusion.
I'm honestly intrigued, where was this and what pagan religion were they practicing? Otherwise all I can think of is that they're a bunch of uber-feminists who have their boys by the balls.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:31 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Well, if you wouldn't go making creepy voodoo dolls of all your co-workers, you'd probably gain more acceptance...
... Awww. So then I guess I shouldn't ask you to mail me a lock of your hair then?

My fanfiction: Straydog Saga / Coldnose: COTFT / Imajin That! / Mortally Wounded
Old 10-14-2011, 11:31 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Quote:
Hey, you only have to turn the other cheek once. Then it's clobberin' time.
"At the time of Jesus, striking someone deemed to be of a lower class with the back of the hand was used to assert authority and dominance. If the persecuted person "turned the other cheek," the discipliner was faced with a dilemma. The left hand was used for unclean purposes, so a back-hand strike on the opposite cheek would not be performed. The other alternative would be a slap with the open hand as a challenge or to punch the person, but this was seen as a statement of equality. Thus, by turning the other cheek the persecuted was in effect demanding equality. "
- Andrew Phule
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:33 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Quote:
Citation? I can google news search and find half a dozen church burnings recently.

You're quoting it out of context. Spend five minutes reading a commentary and linguistic analysis on the subject if you don't want to do a whole-Bible study on the matter, and you'll discover Jesus was more than happy to smack down evil when it was required.

The "slap in the face" is literally just that - a slap in the face; Jesus even specifies what cheek, because a backhanded slap (from a right-handed person) would hit your right cheek, and that was considered a great insult at the time.

It wasn't "get your ass kicked and do nothing about it." It was "don't return a cheap insult with one of your own."

Context matters.

Quote:
You quoted one verse, out on context, in attempt to make yourself look knowledgeable. So...yeah.
Out of context? Okay. Here's the full context then.

Quote:
38 You have heard that it was said, Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth. 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

43 You have heard that it was said, Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
I have no idea how you can possibly interpret "love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" and "do not resist an evil person" as "Let's kick their ass!". That is not Christ's teaching.

Jesus preached non-violence. Jesus was against revenge. Jesus did not want evil repaid with evil. I don't think He agrees with your interpretation of what He said.

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
... Awww. So then I guess I shouldn't ask you to mail me a lock of your hair then?
Don't do it Bolvar, one lock's all it takes and she forces you to do crazy things like meet professional blacksmiths and drink good beer. Satanism I tells you, satanism.

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
You know Cantus, I'm from Georgia and I live outside of Athens in a little town called Statham. It's just about as redneck, backwards, and uneducated as you can get without intentionally going into the mountains of North Carolina.
Fuck you.

I'm an agnostic secular humanist who subscribes to a naturalistic worldview. But I also happen to be a graduate student of Biblical Studies (Hebrew Bible/Old Testament), which makes for interesting situations and a carefully watched tongue.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:36 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Fuck you.
For the North Carolina thing? Dude, some of those mountain people are terrifyingly fucked up.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:37 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
meet professional blacksmiths and drink good beer.
True story.

And now he knows where that bald spot came from...

Old 10-14-2011, 11:38 AM

Elune

Christians are the majority. They are far from persecuted, and in fact most people assume you are Christian if youre not visibly ethnic or wearing something to give away your faith. Christian is the default, and yes people do react differently if they find out youre not Christian.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:39 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
For the North Carolina thing? Dude, some of those mountain people are terrifyingly fucked up.
Which is just as true for Georgia, my friend, especially outside of cultural centers such as Athens and Atlanta. But I am from the mountains of North Carolina.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:41 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

I'll just leave this here.

Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:41 AM

Banished

Quote:
Christians and atheists generally get along. Muslims are the only modern cult with a "JOIN US OR DIE" edict.
I've been living in the German city with the highest percentage of foreign inhabitants, most of them coming from the Middle East, for 27 years now and I have never experienced a Muslim trying to convert or kill me.

On topic: Not religious, I used to be but I found dogma to limit my imagination.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:43 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
I'm honestly intrigued, where was this and what pagan religion were they practicing? Otherwise all I can think of is that they're a bunch of uber-feminists who have their boys by the balls.
Sounds like a Dionysian ritual to me. Could also be a tribute to Freya, Balder, Cerridwen, Baal or whatever diety from whatever region they happen to be worshipping.

I haven't been to a ritual orgy since I was 16, so I really wouldn't know.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Elves are bad.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:44 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Halloween dates way back to the pagans, therefore they are awesome.

Honestly, you can tell I have no real problem with people and their religious beliefs, so long as it isn't at the level of spaghetti-monster worship I'm pretty fine with it. I think what's fascinating is how religious belief affects the mind and how it affects near death experiences. (Ergo, you see your supposed "god" if you've been very religious in your lifetime.)
Old 10-14-2011, 11:44 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

1. I keep my hair cut pretty short. The only "lock" would probably have to come from a place you'd rather not hear about.

2. Magistrix posted a pretty clear interpretation of what I was trying to get at with regards to context. You can't say Jesus was 100% non-violent when he literally beat the shit out of people for setting up a swap-meet in a synagogue. Context is more than the 2-3 verses around the verse in question - I mean a whole Bible, linguistic, and historical context.

3. Wicca is indeed pretty moronic. Yes, there are other pagan religions. Norse mythology is fascinating. Thor was an awesome movie. Bolvar is waiting for an appropriate scenario in which he may spike a coffee cup and demand a refill.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:45 AM

Elune

Five Things You Didn't Know You Wanted to Know About Exxile's Religious Beliefs (But Totally Did).

5: I do not believe that our current Bible is the 100% infallible word of God. It's a translation of a translation and contains quite a few errors.

4: I do not attend regular church services because I think the minute that Christ ascended, people began their plays for power and messed up a good thing. I keep my personal relationship personal and do my own study in private.

3: I am not satisfied with main-stream Christianity. I feel it's turned too far away from the message and is more focused on numbers and being accepted.

2: I do not proselytize. I live my life being as close to an example of Christ as I can, and I share His message, but I will not actively seek out and badger people about it. If God wants the seeds to grow after I've planted them, He will make it happen. If someone comes to me and asks questions, I will do my best to shepherd them, but I do not claim to be the greatest example to follow.

1: I do not, under any circumstances, allow my God or myself to be ridiculed, talked down to, or mocked. If you want to go there, motherfucker, I'll go there too.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:46 AM

Elune

Quote:
In this tradition, women were the magicians and men were the warriors. Magic was considered women's work and if you were a male magician...people questioned your cahones. Why? Because some believed in order to be given magic power you had to go through a ritual, Via the goddess Freja, in which you are possessed by male spirits and given the power that way. (TLR - ewwww nigga you gay!)
...You do realize that marriage between two men (don't know about two women, to be honest) was not shunned in Viking-scandinavia, right? The submissive man was "demoted" to the social status of a woman, and would probably lose any "man privelgies" he held, but that'd be as far as it'd go.

Elves are bad.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:47 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
You know Cantus, I'm from Georgia and I live outside of Athens in a little town called Statham. It's just about as redneck, backwards, and uneducated as you can get without intentionally going into the mountains of North Carolina. I have a ton of middle eastern friends. I've never EVER heard them mention times where they've encountered the amount of persecution you claim to have been subjected to so often.

I'm not saying you haven't or they haven't, but for real, unless you're gay, Muslim, dating a black guy, burning American flags all the time, and also voted for Obama, I really have trouble accepting that every instance of persecution you refer to is actually an account of a situation you were in personally.
Think about it this way, people don't say it directly to you, but when you sit down at a bar and listen to the conversations around you (especially if you can pass yourself off as white), they definitely mention it. I've been to several frat parties where I could hear people talking about how they'd treat "a-rabs" to a nice blanket party if they ever showed their face. Granted part of this is probably just posturing, but another part is understanding that there is a definite undercurrent of ignorant belief to their statements.

Another fun one is from my late night travels over the years. Especially in college, I'd be at a gas station in the wee hours of the morning and hear the attendants talking about how an Indian or Sikh had come in just to pay for their gas. "Man I knew the stink off'a that a-rab the minute he showed up," is actually one of the more common phrases that came out of their mouths. I'm not kidding when I say that this was a normal occurrence. They'd go on to remark how they hoped that individuals would just bomb the Mid-East into oblivion and get rid of all of its denizens (in stronger language of course). Always though they'd quiet down the minute I handed them my credit card and they saw the name printed on it.

So yes, I do, in-fact, keep my ancestry and political views quite hidden when I go to new areas. It's because I know the hate's out there and I know there's no reason to rile them up unnecessarily. Christians on the other hand, I doubt have to deal with quite so much repressed anger.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:49 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
...You do realize that marriage between two men (don't know about two women, to be honest) was not shunned in Viking-scandinavia, right? The submissive man was "demoted" to the social status of a woman, and would probably lose any "man privelgies" he held, but that'd be as far as it'd go.

It wasn't shunned, but you'd lose all your man-privileges...

Not trying to troll, that just sounds a tad contradictory.

"You can be gay, but you'd better be on top"
Old 10-14-2011, 11:50 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
It wasn't shunned, but you'd lose all your man-privileges...

Not trying to troll, that just sounds a tad contradictory.

"You can be gay, but you'd better be on top"
Welcome to Saudi Arabia, where you can stick it in, you just can't get stuck.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:50 AM

Banished

Quote:
In this tradition, women were the magicians and men were the warriors. Magic was considered women's work and if you were a male magician...people questioned your cahones. Why? Because some believed in order to be given magic power you had to go through a ritual, Via the goddess Freja, in which you are possessed by male spirits and given the power that way. (TLR - ewwww nigga you gay!
I remember reading about Vikings being terrible, terrible homophobes a man making a move on another or questioning anothers heterosexuality resulted in the offender dead and cold in the snow.
But at the same time they bleached their hair and beards.
Those crazy pillaging northmen!
Old 10-14-2011, 11:53 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Which is just as true for Georgia, my friend, especially outside of cultural centers such as Athens and Atlanta. But I am from the mountains of North Carolina.
Trust me, bro. I've got some stories from here too. I'm just saying that the only other place that you can go that's worse is located in the North Carolina mountains. Pig orgies, inbreeding, snake handling churches, and 60 year old men taking 13 year old girls as "brides" really chills my blood. I wish you luck.

Tags
i don't eat pork