Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 06-09-2010, 08:44 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Well, the Gronn story wasn't helped by the fact that Gruul himself was basically killed only for loot and attunement, and his defeat didn't factor at all into the story of liberating the ogres from their Gronn oppressors. While it was cool to defeat his sons and finish their part in the whole affair, the story kinda lacked closure without any specific relevance being attached to or even a mention made of the biggest, baddest Gronn of them all as players cull his offspring. There's not even any sort of "now that Gruul's dead, his sons must be defeated" feeling because his defeat (assuming it's even canonical) is completely isolated from the Gronn-related story in the outside world.

Gruul should have logically been the grand finale in the battle to free the ogres from the Gronn, but by the time we got to defeat his sons Gruul himself had already been accessible as a raid tier since release and was from the very start removed from the actual story going on in the zone surrounding his lair.
Some people said that the mountain gronn were different from Gruul and his sons. I thought they were all gronn. They should have had some ogre lords fighting some gronn since, I believe, lore says that the ogre lords helped overthrow the gronn.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:57 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
Some people said that the mountain gronn were different from Gruul and his sons. I thought they were all gronn.
Mountain Gronn are the only Gronn without names.

Quote:
They should have had some ogre lords fighting some gronn since, I believe, lore says that the ogre lords helped overthrow the gronn.
Cho'war displaced the Mountain Gronn. That is it.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:58 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
Is that a piece of trivia, or something to do with my post?
Old 06-10-2010, 12:16 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Quote:
Aww, That's sad Rev. They do have names. You just never bothered to ask which is why they're always so grumpy.

The Gruul's Lair raid featured another boss before Gruul himself. High King Maulgar (an ogre lord) and his ogre council clearly serve the gronn.

Also, the gronn were never wiped out by players in Outland. It was just Gruul and his seven sons who were explicitly targeted for extermination. I'd imagine there's still a rather robust population of gronn who aren't relatives of Gruul.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:22 AM

Arch-Druid
Send a message via Yahoo to Joshmaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
As for Cataclysm, I hope to see Scythe of Elune returned, and that's all.
I think the Scythe's location was hinted at - very, very subtly, but hinted nonetheless - in the Alliance quests in Grizzly Hills, returning the box to Silverbrook to cement an alliance with the trapping community, only later finding out "RUN FOR YOUR LIFE, THEY'RE FUCKING WORGEN!!!"

Horde: Eaglespear - Joshmaul - Sekhesmet - Malkus - Kitrik - Suzl
Alliance: Devaneaux - Jaedenlaek - Vendross - Zherron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornakk
…the ritual came to a close and a demon of untold power (but limited stature) was pulled through the void, kicking and biting and gnashing its teeth, forcibly bound to the mortal world. The warlock, a quizzical expression on his face, regarded his familiar, who was in fact now quite unfamiliar, and inquired, "Who in the hell are you?"
Old 06-10-2010, 12:27 AM

Chimaera

i hope blizzard doesnt shoehorn it into being in gilneas somehow.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:29 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabarax View Post
She wouldn't have been able to get in though since the gate was closed right?
Old 06-10-2010, 12:35 AM

Chimaera

Well the forsaken do in the early part of the cataclysm, that much was known back in blizzcon. but that was by sea. it isn't entirely impossible to get the scythe there, but it is very improbable.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:38 AM

Elune

Quote:
Well the forsaken do in the early part of the cataclysm, that much was known back in blizzcon. but that was by sea. it isn't entirely impossible to get the scythe there, but it is very improbable.
I guess if she threw it over the gate for no apparent reason. I am not sure how close she even got to her destination. Wasn't she last seen somewhere north of Duskwood, or Darkshire?
Old 06-10-2010, 01:14 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Unless the Scythe has other ways of moving.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:55 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Lol, I think you'll be disappointed xDDD.

Edit: Or perhaps not .

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 06-10-2010 at 09:27 AM..
Old 06-10-2010, 09:19 AM

Chimaera

You should probably delete that Lon-ami, that's breaking the NDA, even if not directly.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:28 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themiskan View Post
You should probably delete that Lon-ami, that's breaking the NDA, even if not directly.
Yeah, could be. Let's leave it with a small touch of "doubt".

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 06-10-2010, 03:09 PM

Faerie Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themiskan View Post
There's good reason to believe the AQ chain will be eliminated in Cataclysm. I don't know for sure, and I'm only going off of stuff I saw on mmo-c and here before they locked the stuff, but I inferred that if they were to keep it in the game, they'd have to make changes to the quests.
For one thing, it'll be hard to find the Chimaeroks, since their island will be underwater. (Could be clearly seen on maps that were on MMO for a week. If this is too NDA, my apologies.)
Old 06-10-2010, 03:41 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
I guess if she threw it over the gate for no apparent reason. I am not sure how close she even got to her destination. Wasn't she last seen somewhere north of Duskwood, or Darkshire?
South of it. In a cave almost directly south of Darkshire, to be precise. Scythe disappeared there and later popped up in Grizzly Hills where alliance players steal it from the Horde and get it to local trappers (later revealed to be Worgen) - btw., this is hardly "a hint", since Ivan practically spells it out for you.

Anyway, regardless of where it was, Grizzly or Darkshire, we have to remember another part - namely, that the Gilneans are going to have a contact with Night Elves from the outside (as shown in the original worgen reveal movie). Those could easily bring the Scythe with them, were it required for the purposes of the plot - that's hardly a stretch or shoehorning it.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:49 PM

Elune

Quote:
That doesn’t say they’ve stopped fighting Dimensius, just that they are there to become Void. Given that their very existence was premised on getting vengeance on Dimensius, it seems this is a fight fire with fire thing which isn’t uncommon in Warcraft (Demonhunters, Ebon Blade, etc.).

As for why they have all those things in their prisons:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Quest:Stasis_...s_of_Bash%27ir
It is worse than I thought... These chambers hold ferocious beasts and creatures from many, many different worlds. They hope to one day command the beasts to do their bidding. We must destroy them all!
Old 06-10-2010, 05:05 PM

Elune

I don't know what plots Blizzard will forget in Cataclysm, but I came across 2 interesting blue posts.

Quote:
Very little will change in Outland and Northrend. It would be nice to make more changes for continuity, but consider that Wrath of the Lich King shipped with roughly 1,000 new quests, and Cataclysm is scheduled to ship with upwards of 3,000 new quests.
Quote:
We're definitely not taking a simplistic inside-out approach and flipping the feel of every zone around. Some areas will change drastically as a result of Deathwing's cataclysmic return. These areas will change for better or worse. You'll also see a lot of what we refer to as political progression. For instance, the Forsaken are determined to really come into their own as a faction now that the Lich King is gone. They intend to continue to fight for their preservation with allegiance to the Horde, which requires that they find alternate means of sustaining their forces since they cannot reproduce. Politically, they're determined to expand their territory around Lordaeron and march into Greymane. It is in the Horde's interest to have a coastal stronghold on Eastern Kingdoms in the event that an attack on Stormwind becomes imminent.

So, beyond the physical changes of the world, you'll see a lot of storyline advancement, as the setting on Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms will now be post-Lich King.
So... hurray for Cataclysm lore?
Old 06-10-2010, 05:13 PM

Keeper of the Grove

NO MY FORSAKEN BABIES

Yeah I guess that solves that little arguement.

Last edited by Daiol; 06-10-2010 at 05:16 PM..
Old 06-10-2010, 05:22 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
That doesn’t say they’ve stopped fighting Dimensius, just that they are there to become Void. Given that their very existence was premised on getting vengeance on Dimensius, it seems this is a fight fire with fire thing which isn’t uncommon in Warcraft (Demonhunters, Ebon Blade, etc.).
The quest says "The Ethereum are not here to hunt Dimensius! They are here to become void!"

Quote:
As for why they have all those things in their prisons:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Quest:Stasis_...s_of_Bash%27ir
It is worse than I thought... These chambers hold ferocious beasts and creatures from many, many different worlds. They hope to one day command the beasts to do their bidding. We must destroy them all!
Yeah, but bidding doing what? Conquest of random stuff?

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:58 PM

Elune

Quote:
The quest says "The Ethereum are not here to hunt Dimensius! They are here to become void!"
That’s to correct the assumption he made earlier in the quest chain stating he thought the Ethereum were at the staging ground to assault Ultris. The Ethereal who said it was unaware of the plan to become void until he discovered it just then. Again, that does not mean they lost all interest in Dimensius or stopped fighting him. Given they have no other motivation than to avenge their planet and engage in general villainy, the Ethereum cannot be said to have lost their desire for vengeance simply because of that statement because fighting Dimensius and becoming void themselves are not mutually exclusive.

Quote:
Yeah, but bidding doing what? Conquest of random stuff?
Basically whatever they want. They enslave them because they can. They’re not nice guys.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:01 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
That’s to correct the assumption he made earlier in the quest chain stating he thought the Ethereum were at the staging ground to assault Ultris. The Ethereal who said it was unaware of the plan to become void until he discovered it just then. Again, that does not mean they lost all interest in Dimensius or stopped fighting him. Given they have no other motivation than to avenge their planet and engage in general villainy, the Ethereum cannot be said to have lost their desire for vengeance simply because of that statement because fighting Dimensius and becoming void themselves are not mutually exclusive.
But Dimensius is right over the hill... I think if they were going to hunt him at all they would do it then.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:19 PM

Elune

Quote:
But Dimensius is right over the hill... I think if they were going to hunt him at all they would do it then.
Obviously, like every group in WoW, they suck compared to the players. They mention they’ve been fighting for 1000 years without success until we came along with our awesomeness and saved the day.

Plus, Dimensius was immune to physical attacks at the time. The Etereum needed to power themselves up since they didn’t think of offering us quests instead.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:27 PM

Arch-Druid
Send a message via Yahoo to Joshmaul

Quote:
Obviously, like every group in WoW, they suck compared to the players. They mention they’ve been fighting for 1000 years without success until we came along with our awesomeness and saved the day.
Sounds like an episode of Star Trek, don't it?

Horde: Eaglespear - Joshmaul - Sekhesmet - Malkus - Kitrik - Suzl
Alliance: Devaneaux - Jaedenlaek - Vendross - Zherron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornakk
…the ritual came to a close and a demon of untold power (but limited stature) was pulled through the void, kicking and biting and gnashing its teeth, forcibly bound to the mortal world. The warlock, a quizzical expression on his face, regarded his familiar, who was in fact now quite unfamiliar, and inquired, "Who in the hell are you?"
Old 06-10-2010, 09:57 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Quote:
^^;;
Old 06-11-2010, 03:48 AM

Ranger

Quote:
For instance, the Forsaken are determined to really come into their own as a faction now that the Lich King is gone. They intend to continue to fight for their preservation with allegiance to the Horde, which requires that they find alternate means of sustaining their forces since they cannot reproduce.
Very interesting. I can't see how this is going to work though - the point of the forsaken is that they are free-willed, so anyone brought back to life through necromancy could easily refuse to join the forsaken (especially given that they would likely be pissed off at being reanimated in the first place).

Perhaps they will offer dying soldiers a choice, sort of like Davy Jones in pirates of the Caribbean - put off death and live forever.