Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 10-10-2010, 11:04 AM

Revenant - Moderator

Default Theories about mountain giants

Information about mountain giants from Warcraft III, including in-game dialogue, states that they were made to shape the mountains, and that they later were asleep, and then were awakened by the Third War.

This fits with one of the clearer revelations given by the Tribunal of Ages: that Loken initiated stasis of several seed races including the earthen, the giants, and the vrykul at various holding facilities.

The earthen were locked away within Uldaman, Ulduar, and Uldum (based on the ("Ironforge - the Awakening of the Dwarves" book, which gives different reasons for events, so maybe it is all suspect). The vrykul were locked away within Gjalerbron and the Halls of the Ancestors. But where were the mountain giants locked away?

Here is my theory: The entire continental crust (and part of the biosphere) of Azeroth is made up of interlocking mountain giants.

Sentient/sapient as they may be, the titans use them to build planets, and they can disconnect themselves if there is a problem (like antibodies, thought that role may be shared with the vrykul). This function would cause them to sacrifice their mobility and independence, but if that was their nature, they might not care (they seem nice and/or serious enough).

Mountain giants generally look like the area that they are around, and the flora growing on them has been said to be part of them. Importantly, in Howling Fjord and Grizzly Hills, the iron dwarves use runes to raise giants out of the ground and control them. This would not be possible if they were not already there.

For this theory, I am assuming that the models for mountain giants, colossi, and wood/stone giants are the same creature. The latter two may just be more rugged. Also, with the sharing of models between titanic giants and large earth elementals since vanilla, mountain giants may be altered or redeemed earth elementals. Or possibly, going with the vague two-visit timeline, earth elementals (or all elementals) are corrupted titanic creations.

Also, consider the Curse of Flesh. The details and full intent of it are unknown, but would it be easier: to curse-then-corrupt a normal rock into a lifeform, or an animate rock into a lifeform? If my theory is correct, then that would allow the Old Gods to corrupt the entire planet. Look at how the Old Gods and that guy in Twilight Highlands are embedded into the planet. Maybe they are made of fleshed-then-fused buried giants.

Seriously.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Slowpokeking

What about those giants that serve the elemental lords?
I guess the elemental lords were actually created by the Titans but later enslaved by the Old Gods.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:19 AM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
What about those giants that serve the elemental lords?
I assume you are talking about either the Stone Lords or the regular mountain giants classified as elementals. Either way, I mentioned them.

Quote:
I guess the elemental lords were actually created by the Titans but later enslaved by the Old Gods.
The exact role of the elemental lords (and their relation to this) is unknown, and it does not really matter for my theory.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
I assume you are talking about either the Stone Lords or the regular mountain giants classified as elementals. Either way, I mentioned them.

The exact role of the elemental lords (and their relation to this) is unknown, and it does not really matter for my theory.
Those giants in Maraudon.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:22 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Information about mountain giants from Warcraft III, including in-game dialogue, states that they were made to shape the mountains, and that they later were asleep, and then were awakened by the Third War.

This fits with one of the clearer revelations given by the Tribunal of Ages: that Loken initiated stasis of several seed races including the earthen, the giants, and the vrykul at various holding facilities.

The earthen were locked away within Uldaman, Ulduar, and Uldum (based on the ("Ironforge - the Awakening of the Dwarves" book, which gives different reasons for events, so maybe it is all suspect). The vrykul were locked away within Gjalerbron and the Halls of the Ancestors. But where were the mountain giants locked away?

Here is my theory: The entire continental crust (and part of the biosphere) of Azeroth is made up of interlocking mountain giants.

Sentient/sapient as they may be, the titans use them to build planets, and they can disconnect themselves if there is a problem (like antibodies, thought that role may be shared with the vrykul). This function would cause them to sacrifice their mobility and independence, but if that was their nature, they might not care (they seem nice and/or serious enough).

Mountain giants generally look like the area that they are around, and the flora growing on them has been said to be part of them. Importantly, in Howling Fjord and Grizzly Hills, the iron dwarves use runes to raise giants out of the ground and control them. This would not be possible if they were not already there.

For this theory, I am assuming that the models for mountain giants, colossi, and wood/stone giants are the same creature. The latter two may just be more rugged. Also, with the sharing of models between titanic giants and large earth elementals since vanilla, mountain giants may be altered or redeemed earth elementals. Or possibly, going with the vague two-visit timeline, earth elementals (or all elementals) are corrupted titanic creations.

Also, consider the Curse of Flesh. The details and full intent of it are unknown, but would it be easier: to curse-then-corrupt a normal rock into a lifeform, or an animate rock into a lifeform? If my theory is correct, then that would allow the Old Gods to corrupt the entire planet. Look at how the Old Gods and that guy in Twilight Highlands are embedded into the planet. Maybe they are made of fleshed-then-fused buried giants.

Seriously.
I suspect that their rugged and flora on them looks are due to them sleeping for long time due to their incredibly slow metabolisms like in that quest where trying for mountain giants to shit diamonds but it was attached with a impossibly long time
Old 10-10-2010, 11:24 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
ROFL.

I expected something like Terramok/Maraudon, so this simply shocked me xDDD.

I don't like the part of the theory that implies any mass of land could start walking, but I LOVE the idea that they used mountain giants to build the terrain. Once they're in position, they "die" and become part of the terrain.

Great idea, indeed. Thanks for sharing .

As for giant types, I think mountain giants are elementals. Maybe some titan is able to control them properly, and to create them from dead rock. Then, the other type, the ones at Northrend, and 100% titan created, just like earthen, tol'vir and vrykul, have nothing to do with them.

The doubt I have now is... wtf are troggs and earthen at Deepholm? a mission by some titan, or imprisonment for being "evil"?

Quote:
This remembers me of that "play-doh of the Old gods" picture from Cataclysm concepts gallery. I'm not speaking about giants in special, just pure earth. Would be weird if the entire planet could become a ball of space flesh "flash to Futurama episode of the planet-size tentacle monster of genitacles".

Weird, disturbing and dangerous.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 10-10-2010, 11:30 AM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
I suspect that their rugged and flora on them looks are due to them sleeping for long time due to their incredibly slow metabolisms like in that quest where trying for mountain giants to shit diamonds but it was attached with a impossibly long time
The ruggedness comment was just me dismissing the difference in looks between the smoother WC3-styled mountain giants and the spiky colossi. Maybe the colossi/wood giants are more attached to their roles as landmass, while the other ones are more detachable for whatever reason.

The flora on the WC3-styled giants is is a part of them. See here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
I don't like the part of the theory that implies any mass of land could start walking, but I LOVE the idea that they used mountain giants to build the terrain. Once they're in position, they "die" and become part of the terrain.
You don't like it, but can you find evidence to contradict it?

It might be dying or sleeping, but I doubt they would mind either way.

I also doubt that Blizzard is deep enough to explore the idea of a giant rejecting this arrangement and going crazy... unless they have already done that with the hostile ones? Besides the ones that are guarding things for the titans, or course.

Quote:
As for giant types, I think mountain giants are elementals. Maybe some titan is able to control them properly, and to create them from dead rock. Then, the other type, the ones at Northrend, and 100% titan created, just like earthen, tol'vir and vrykul, have nothing to do with them.
What? Which ones do you think are elementals, and which ones are titan-created?

Quote:
This remembers me of that "play-doh of the Old gods" picture from Cataclysm concepts gallery. I'm not speaking about giants in special, just pure earth. Would be weird if the entire planet could become a ball of space flesh "flash to Futurama episode of the planet-size tentacle monster of genitacles".

Weird, disturbing and dangerous.
That is entirely possible with this theory. Algalon is there to tell the Pantheon to blow Azeroth up before that happens.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Quote:
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 10-10-2010 at 11:41 AM..
Old 10-10-2010, 11:50 AM

Elune

Quote:
You don't like it, but can you find evidence to contradict it?

It might be dying or sleeping, but I doubt they would mind either way.

I also doubt that Blizzard is deep enough to explore the idea of a giant rejecting this arrangement and going crazy... unless they have already done that with the hostile ones? Besides the ones that are guarding things for the titans, or course.
What i mean is that I don't like the idea of it "being alive". I prefer to think it "can become alive in any moment if you empower it enough".

I'm Khaz'goroth, and I want a new mountain, so I animate this rocks and order them to climb each other until they're a big pile of rocks, and then I inanimate them or let the animation-energy vanish.

It's curious, but when you think about titans working this close with elements, it becomes harder to explain why the Elemental Lords got to work with the Old Gods... unless they felt they were being "enslaved" by the titans to give their desired shape to the world.

Quote:
What? Which ones do you think are elementals, and which ones are titan-created?
Mountain-giants (the ones at Maraudon, Molten Core, the originals from W3 and WoW, the ones from Outland) are elementals, and the titanic-giants (the Sea giants and the ones introduced with WotLK, that can suffer the Curse of Flesh) are creations of the titans.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 10-10-2010, 11:59 AM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
What i mean is that I don't like the idea of it "being alive". I prefer to think it "can become alive in any moment if you empower it enough".

I'm Khaz'goroth, and I want a new mountain, so I animate this rocks and order them to climb each other until they're a big pile of rocks, and then I inanimate them or let the animation-energy vanish.
Their status when they are 'submerged' can be debated, but the important thing is that they are all there in some form.

If your view is right, where does the titan-loyal intelligence come from when they disconnect from the ground (if they do)? Some giant central stone computer?

Quote:
It's curious, but when you think about titans working this close with elements, it becomes harder to explain why the Elemental Lords got to work with the Old Gods... unless they felt they were being "enslaved" by the titans to give their desired shape to the world.
Corruption, rebellion from the aforementioned arrangement... take your pick. It somewhat depends on if the elemental lords are a rogue titan system, or a direct creation of the Old Gods made to take control of the elements.

Quote:
Mountain-giants (the ones at Maraudon, Molten Core, the originals from W3 and WoW, the ones from Outland) are elementals, and the titanic-giants (the Sea giants and the ones introduced with WotLK, that can suffer the Curse of Flesh) are creations of the titans.
The mountain giants that you mention as elementals have been said to be creations of the titans in Warcraft III, the RPG, and WoW. How can you dismiss all of that? Do you mean that you think that they started as elementals, are were re-purposed by the titans? i could agree with that.

The other ones are, of course, titanic creations also.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Slowpokeking

I believe the elemental lord existed before the Titan and the Old Gods came, the Titan used their power to shape these giants.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:18 PM

Elune

Quote:
Their status when they are 'submerged' can be debated, but the important thing is that they are all there in some form.
Well, by my idea, the mountain giant disappears. What I meant by my example is that the titans, instead of taking rocks and building a mountain, give life to rocks and order them to build the mountain, using rocks and their own bodies.

So the mountain giants, or whatever elemental forms used for the labors, disappear from the very moment they stop being an elemental. Later, titans can give life to the same pile of rocks, but the old elemental construct wouldn't be back.

Quote:
If your view is right, where does the titan-loyal intelligence come from when they disconnect from the ground (if they do)? Some giant central stone computer?
You don't need to be forced to be loyal. They can be because they want, or simply because they like. After all, they are elementals, and they care about the environment. Working with others to improve it is pretty cool.

Quote:
Corruption, rebellion from the aforementioned arrangement... take your pick. It somewhat depends on if the elemental lords are a rogue titan system, or a direct creation of the Old Gods made to take control of the elements.
I would base it on the abuse of the titans on the elements to get their desired results. Some elementals could be unhappy for being utilized, or just angry that they have to lost part of their domains to other elements. No one likes to be forced to do something, and I don't think titans asked anyone when they reshaped Azeroth.

Quote:
The mountain giants that you mention as elementals have been said to be creations of the titans in Warcraft III, the RPG, and WoW. How can you dismiss all of that? Do you mean that you think that they started as elementals, are were re-purposed by the titans? i could agree with that.

The other ones are, of course, titanic creations also.
I think that it was retconned or something, or just got a new meaning. Maybe "some" were "generated or given life" by the titans, but other are natural and work with elementals.

By this I mean that they're not titan constructs, but that titans can animate elementals on their own.

The Northrend ones are 100% titan, and designed with specific purposes. Maybe mountain giants were fine for their labors, and titans didn't need to create a lot of their own giants. Of course, for work at facilities, they don't use elemental giants, because they're not as "controlled" as their own hand-made giants.

Last edited by Lon-ami; 10-12-2010 at 11:42 AM..
Old 10-10-2010, 01:54 PM

Elune

Quote:
But I LOVE the idea that they used mountain giants to build the terrain. Once they're in position, they "die" and become part of the terrain.
When I read this, somehow a picture of the Titans playing a game of Tetris formed in my head.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:54 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
When I read this, somehow a picture of the Titans playing a game of Tetris formed in my head.
... i tried

[IMG]
Old 10-10-2010, 03:08 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
... i tried

YOU WIN XDDD.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:29 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Any serious comments?

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:43 AM

Elune

Quote:
Any serious comments?
Give this a look: http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...2&postcount=11

Or simply scroll up .

Old 10-12-2010, 01:05 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Any counters to your theories that I can think of are also mostly speculation, but I may be a bit confused on what you are saying.

The stone giants in Howling Fjord and Grizzly Hills that I am using for evidence may have had their minds wiped, and they may have been elementals, sculpted by the titans, or both. I doubt they would anwser you either way (especially with the runes). Kurun, who is one of them, commands a group of Pantheon-loyal earthen. Does an elemental, who is either completely neutral or Old God-loyal really seem like the earthen-commanding sort?

A lot of mountain giants of various models are elementals, or working alongside elemental forces, but I highly doubt that they are all elementals. It is too big of a retcon, unless you allow for significant titan involvement.

This brings back my point about the question of the interrelatedness of elementals and titan creations. I do not know the anwser.

So do you think that the mountain giants from Warcraft III, and the ones in WoW in the same style, are all just peaceful earth elemental that can sometimes be used by the titans? That even the ones guarding Uldum, the ones fighting the iron dwarves, and Fozruk, who guards a minion of the Old Gods, are just doing things in the interests of elementals?

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:27 PM

Elune

Yeah, pretty much. The mountain giants are just that, elementals.

The point now is that titans can "spawn" elementals too, or just have a good relationship with them, making they cooperate with them and their creations, earthen, vrykul and "Northrend" giants.

Maybe, the relationship lies in the nature of the titan constructs, that could just be an advanced process of the natural earth elementals coming to life by themselves or other natural energies.

As for they elemental mountain giants can be affected by the Curse of Flesh... I've no idea.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:42 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Elemental or not, I think my theory is still correct. I can find no evidence to really contradict it, it explains why the giants are part plant, and it opens up interesting possibilities for future plots.

One other bit of data: In the Crystalline Quarry of the Halls of Stone, which shows the/a mountain giant construction process, the iron dwarves are carving out colossi from the walls of the city. That can go either way: the iron dwarves are carving the giants from the crystal and stone walls, or they are excavating existing giants. I choose to believe the latter, especially as it looks like the giants grew from the walls (or the walls grew from them!).

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:17 AM

Elune

I think that's more like the golems of BRD. They shape some stones as a giant, and then they give life to them.

Makes a lot of sense with my theory .

Old 10-27-2010, 01:36 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Makes a lot of sense with my theory .
Yes, yes. We both have theories. Theories that build on other theories.

Something that Sarahmoo posted caught my eye. Looky this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post

Mountain giants are connected to the land around them, and they (the Warcraft III-ish ones) can look like colossi when corrupted. The exact repercussions of this are unknown.

However, I feel that in order to get this thread back on the path of seeking understanding, we must first start at the basics. We must determine what the facts that we base our theories on are.

For starters, I ask the seemingly basic: "What is a mountain giant, and what are the properties of one?"

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Quote:
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 10-27-2010 at 01:41 PM..
Old 10-27-2010, 05:24 PM

Priestess of the Moon
BattleTag: Samael#1487

Quote:

For starters, I ask the seemingly basic: "What is a mountain giant, and what are the properties of one?"
How about "an extra-large Earthen for sculpting mountains?" After all, the Earthen are said to have been created from "magical living stone," and "a cross-section of this world's strata adapted to a standard subterranean being matrix." Sounds like the Titans could do it to me.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:27 AM

Elune

Quote:
Big elementals, imo.

The same way we classify the elementals in lesser, major, bound, unbound... mountain giants are their own category, but only inside earth, the same way Djinn are exclusive to the air category.

As for titans creating them, I'll presume titans can "empower" the creation of elementals, thus creating them, but in a shamanic way instead of a titan-engine one.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:55 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Big elementals, imo.
Nearly every written source about mountain giants says that they were made by the titans, out of stone, to shape the mountains of Azeroth.

In World of Warcraft, most of them work with, or are, earth (or fire) elementals. However, some of them do act like titanic constructs.

Both sides are reinforced if you factor in the other models of possible mountain giants.

There is no information that I can find that can reconcile this, at least without wild mass guessing... Are titans just badass shamans? Titans can be shamans, sure. But is that it?

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:07 PM

Hippogryph Rider

Would the Ice Giants in DB be considered the water version of the Mountain Giants (and correct me if i am wrong) as the Molten giants are the fire version? Or are they the same, but just covered in ice?