Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2013, 03:03 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
AoA Nightcrawler, or is regular Nightcrawler alive again?
Regular Nightcrawler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 07-21-2013, 03:34 PM

Elune

Well, I guess I'm strangely glad they're finally doing that rather than going ahead with introducing more alternate universe Nightcrawlers.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:41 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilgath View Post
Loeb ruins everything. I can't think of a single action of his within the past couple years that I liked.
At this point, I'm seriously wondering how the hell he's staying employed. Between Ultimatum (and his other ultimate books) and the animation department, Marvel must have lost serious amounts of cash and fans on his screw-ups. Even if I didn't hate pretty much everything he's written over the last few years, it's pretty obvious by this point he's a terrible investment.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
At this point, I'm seriously wondering how the hell he's staying employed. Between Ultimatum (and his other ultimate books) and the animation department, Marvel must have lost serious amounts of cash and fans on his screw-ups. Even if I didn't hate pretty much everything he's written over the last few years, it's pretty obvious by this point he's a terrible investment.
Well, I wouldn't say that. His stuff gets terrible reviews but it also tends to succeed, financially speaking. His run with Rulk was terrible, but it sold - and sales dropped as soon as he left. Ultimatum sold well, and the downsizing of the Ultimate line wasn't really because of his involvement. I don't know how Nova is doing, but Ultimate Spider-Man is doing well enough so that it just got renewed for a third season.

Quote:
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 07-21-2013, 09:16 PM

Elune

Quote:
Well, I guess I'm strangely glad they're finally doing that rather than going ahead with introducing more alternate universe Nightcrawlers.
They actually killed AoA Nightcrawler a few months ago, along with the X-Treme X-Men kid Nightcrawler.

If I’m being honest, I actually prefer the AoA Nightcrawler. He has all the swashbuckling awesomeness, the look, and the powers without the bible-thumping, which some writers take way too far for my liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
Well, I wouldn't say that. His stuff gets terrible reviews but it also tends to succeed, financially speaking. His run with Rulk was terrible, but it sold - and sales dropped as soon as he left.
Considering how unbelievably better Parker’s Rulk was, this is just mind-boggling.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:41 PM

Elune

I agree that some writers take it too far, but that's more a sign of a bad writer, since that's true of almost anything. Nightcrawler being religious has always been an effective counterpoint to his appearance and sort of the X-Men on a nutshell: even if other people in the congregation are uncomfortable with how he looks, he doesn't let that put him off his ideals, even though it would be easy for him to. AoA Nightcrawler was an interesting character for a while, and different enough to not be totally derivative, but I think that if you're introducing multiple AU versions of a dead character to get your fix, maybe bring him back?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:12 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
Wouldn’t that depend entirely on who was writing the characters’ books?

While that may be true, characters like Superboy tend to be lame.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:44 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call of duty 1 View Post
While that may be true, characters like Superboy tend to be lame.
Superboy was awesome in Young Justice, at the least.

Yeah, he sucks when Lobdell writes him. So does every character.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:26 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Superboy was awesome in Young Justice, at the least.

Yeah, he sucks when Lobdell writes him. So does every character.

I find Superboy as a character lame.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:10 AM

Elune

I'm going to miss Kate. Young Avengers just doesn't have a hook for me, but she was great in Hawkguy.

Also I'm sad that its the start of Gambit's final arc but MAN does it look like its gonna be exciting.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I'm going to miss Kate. Young Avengers just doesn't have a hook for me, but she was great in Hawkguy.
Kate is still going to be in Hawkguy. The plan is to alternate issues between Clint and Kate.

I love Young Avengers but I can see how it isn't for everyone.

Quote:
Old 07-28-2013, 08:58 PM

Elune

Thought I should note that Marvel's Spider-office is rocking. I loved Superior Spider-Man and Superior Spider-Man Team-Up this week.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:22 PM

Elune

Scarlet Spider remains really good. It there's one thing Kaine should take away from this it's not to get mixed up with women Gambit has banged.

I wanted there to be two panels where Kaine just walks up, punches him in the face, and walks off but you can't have everything.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:38 AM

Elune

Quote:
Scarlet Spider remains really good. It there's one thing Kaine should take away from this it's not to get mixed up with women Gambit has banged.

I wanted there to be two panels where Kaine just walks up, punches him in the face, and walks off but you can't have everything.
Yost is great. I really enjoyed the exchange between Wolverine and Kaine during the awkward plane ride down to New Orleans.

Wolverine: What are you, Spider-Man’s evil clone?
Kaine: Yeah.
Wolverine. Pfft. I got a clone too.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:03 AM

Eternal

Superior Spider-Man is starting to bore me more and more. Doc Oc just isn't that interesting as main character.
He's also not funny at all. I want my wisecracking Spidey back!
The fact that this entire arc feels more and more like Azrael's stint as Batman in Knightfall isn't exactly helping either.
Slott should wrap this up sooner rather than later.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 07-30-2013, 10:16 AM

Eternal

Spider-Man has always bored me. Superior Spider-Man is entertaining me. I hope Peter Parker is gone for as long as possible.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:19 PM

Elune

Since Batman Beyond had a few comic books released over the years I want ask you guys. Is it ever said in any of the comics what happened with the villains from Batman TAS? Except the Joker, since his fate is shown in the Return of the Joker movie.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:01 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Since Batman Beyond had a few comic books released over the years I want ask you guys. Is it ever said in any of the comics what happened with the villains from Batman TAS? Except the Joker, since his fate is shown in the Return of the Joker movie.
I never read the comics, but if I recall Mr. Freeze survived as a frozen head until Beyond time, Bane’s body became all withered and wheelchair bound due to venom addiction, and the Phantasm was hired to kill baby Terry but refused.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:01 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Hmm, been reading them myself, but the only one I can think of off-hand cited in the comics is Two-Face. It isn't specified when or under what circumstances, but Harvey apparently ended up being rehabilitated sometime between TAS and Beyond (presumably along with getting reconstructive surgery), and either got back into law or become a notable enough face in the public arena again to help pass some "costumed hero/villain"-type legislation including a law concerning for the interment super-criminals' remains to prevent public gravesites from becoming objects of martyrdom or otherwise tangible sources of inspiration for future costumed maniacs.

It does kind of make sense for Harvey to get a special mention though, since they were friends before and he's the only TAS villain who Batman literally blames himself for since he was right there and failed to prevent the events that turned Dent into Two-Face.

It's actually kind of a regular comic series now in the form of Batman Beyond: Unlimited. Each monthly contains installments of ongoing Batman Beyond, Superman Beyond, and Justice League Beyond stories.

Not exactly a follow-up on villain's fate from TAS, but it might be worth noting that an earlier 6-issue Batman Beyond limited series established Hush as part of the DCAU canon, even though unless I'm going completely senile he never actually appeared in any of the associated shows.

Last edited by ARM3481; 08-02-2013 at 11:04 PM..
Old 08-03-2013, 12:16 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
I never read the comics, but if I recall Mr. Freeze survived as a frozen head until Beyond time, Bane’s body became all withered and wheelchair bound due to venom addiction, and the Phantasm was hired to kill baby Terry but refused.
Phantasm was hired to kill Terry's parents, not Terry himself.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:40 AM

Elune

Quote:

I didn't know they were still making Scarlet Spider comics.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferlion View Post
They're surprisingly good.

I guess I'm not surprised anymore, but I was at first.

Quote:
Old 08-03-2013, 02:03 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferlion View Post
It's not Ben Reilly if that's what you're thinking.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:59 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
They're surprisingly good.

I guess I'm not surprised anymore, but I was at first.
I wouldn't have been surprised that it was good given that Yost was the writer. That guy is dynamite.

Quote:
It's not Ben Reilly if that's what you're thinking.
Solicitations do suggest Ben is returning in the next few months though.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:34 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Why Galactus got owned by so many characters in so many series? He is incredibly powerful and he's not a villain.

Tags
avengers, batman, bleedingcool, comic, comic book, comic books, comic con, comics, comix, dark horse, dc bashing, dc comics, graphic novels, image, justice league, marvel, rebirth, spider-man, summers family tree, superheroes, superman, valiant