Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 08-29-2017, 10:42 PM

Banished

Default It's time for Arthas to Return

After Illidan came back and got such a major role, I think it's time for probably the most popular character of the franchise to come back and do what he should have done in WotLK. That xpc didn't characterize him well other than the ending.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:20 PM

Banished

Wait until they need to revive interest in Warcraft again (which is what the Legion expansion is trying to do). When that happens, the king shall return.

To be frank, I wouldn't support Arthas coming back unless he was back as his TFT self with his WotLK antics with its novel retconned as Frostmourne overloading.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:25 PM

Eternal

Arthas's story is over, and the Lich King's continues through Bolvar, and it should stay that way.

However.

In a Shadowlands expansion, I could see Arthas being a character, and I'd support it, as long as he wasn't simply revived, and remained dead afterwards, even if he got some sort of redemption and went to a "better" place.

Last edited by Ethenil; 08-30-2017 at 09:15 PM..
Old 08-30-2017, 12:35 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

I'd rather see Ner'zhul. A being who is the core of the Lich King.

I do support meeting Ghost Arthas in a Shadowlands expansion. Probably coming from an expansion where Bolvar (or someone who has usurped Bolvar, or even Ner'zhul himself is the final boss).
Old 08-30-2017, 05:52 AM

Keeper of the Grove

This entire Arthas must be purged!

Old 08-30-2017, 08:07 AM

Elune

This is now an Arthas memes thread!

Old 08-30-2017, 08:55 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortrash View Post
this is now an arthas memes thread!
k.

Name:  arthas mem.png
Views: 600
Size:  82.8 KB

Previous avatars: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Old 08-30-2017, 09:31 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
Arthas's story is over, and the Lich King's continues to through Bolvar, and it should stay that way.

However.

In a Shadowlands expansion, I could see him being a character, and I'd support it, as long as he wasn't simply revived, and remained dead.
It was very poorly handled in WotLK, and seriously, Bolvar is nobody if we compare him to Arthas with popularity.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:13 AM

Demon Hunter

Sometimes I think about the (ilgynoth?) line - "The Boy King serves at the master's table" and I think about the Sylvanas short story after wrath where she finds arthas soul in the shadowlands, small and frightened, seeking comfort and protection. But then I remember that N'zoth is in the compass.

Arthas will come back whether its next expac or the one after. I just hope that when he does, he brings necromancers and Lich Queen Jaina with him.

I mean c'mon guys. This is Blizzard. They've been developing necromantic/deathknight content for diablo and hearthstone for the last 2 years. You really think they aren't dying to make an undeath expac again? They operate by one rule, the rule of cool. And right now, the rule of cool is necromancy and sexy powerful women.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:47 PM

Chimaera

Heck, no. If they do, they'll probably try to "redeem" him, and we know how well we can expect that to go.

"Arthas was just trying to do the right thing and take control of the Scourge in order to make them stop slaughtering the living, but arrogant, sel-righteous Uther, filled with hate, stood in his way".
Old 08-31-2017, 08:31 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_C View Post
Heck, no. If they do, they'll probably try to "redeem" him, and we know how well we can expect that to go.

"Arthas was just trying to do the right thing and take control of the Scourge in order to make them stop slaughtering the living, but arrogant, sel-righteous Uther, filled with hate, stood in his way".
Uh, their last redemption, Illidan, has gone extremely well? They've brought him back while still making him a huge asshole and not letting us forget of all the evil stuff he's done?
Old 08-31-2017, 10:02 PM

Trade Baroness - Admin

Given that he had lost his soul, I'm not sure whether he can actually be considered responsible for most of his actions.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:55 PM

Priestess of the Moon

He still willingly put Quel'thalas to the sword, desecrated the Sunwell, dumped his father's ashes (whom he murdered) onto the ground, slaughtered entire populations and damned countless to eternal servitude.

He possessed agency even if lacking a soul, Arthas was never forced to do any of the things he did.
"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."
Charles James Napier
Old 08-31-2017, 11:09 PM

Loremaster

There's nothing left to redeem; what little "good" remained of Arthas was destroyed along with his humanity when Tirion destroyed his heart. That was the good in Arthas.

The rest - the Lich King and later the condemned spirit Sylvanas saw in the darkness - was what remained after he deliberately removed everything about himself that was worth saving. The moment Tirion destroyed that heart was the moment that the only thing left of Arthas was the monster he had become.

One might speculate that the "good" of Arthas - "Matthias Lehner" as it were - may have passed on into the Light or some such thing, but the Arthas that won the internal struggle for control and went on to become Lich King was by definition irredeemable because in removing his humanity he'd knowingly isolated and gotten rid of everything about himself that was still redeemable.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:21 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Given that he had lost his soul, I'm not sure whether he can actually be considered responsible for most of his actions.
Ner'zhul was losing control of Arthas in TFT. He still served.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:02 PM

Trade Baroness - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almed View Post
Ner'zhul was losing control of Arthas in TFT. He still served.
Yes, he was technically free, but given that he had no soul and therefore lacked a moral compass, I would still say that he was not truly responsible for his actions.

That's the thing with tainted beings like demons or undead; you can only really blame those who willingly gave themselves to corruption. Is Baron Rivendare evil? Sure, but only the elder. His son my have committed atrocities (even after Bolvar became the Lich King), but he's as much a victim as those he killed.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:52 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Yes, he was technically free, but given that he had no soul and therefore lacked a moral compass, I would still say that he was not truly responsible for his actions.

That's the thing with tainted beings like demons or undead; you can only really blame those who willingly gave themselves to corruption. Is Baron Rivendare evil? Sure, but only the elder. His son my have committed atrocities (even after Bolvar became the Lich King), but he's as much a victim as those he killed.
Was Riverdare's son killed, or was he turned?

Arthas gave up his soul which led to him committing those acts. He's not Kerrigan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:55 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post

Arthas gave up his soul which led to him committing those acts. He's not Kerrigan.
He was trying to fight the Scourge, not to serve them when he picked up the sword.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:16 PM

Trade Baroness - Admin

Quote:

He died helping us kill his father and we didn't give him a proper burial.

Like Slow said, his intentions were somewhat noble and I doubt that he expect servitude to his enemy to be the price he paid to defeat the Scourge.

He certainly had flaws, but I would not call human Arthas evil.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:26 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

I don't understand people's obsession with wanting to save Arthas and Garrosh, but completely forget about Deathwing who was driven mad by the Old Gods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:21 PM

Banished

Quote:
I don't understand people's obsession with wanting to save Arthas and Garrosh, but completely forget about Deathwing who was driven mad by the Old Gods.
I would love to see Arthas a a menacing villain than being redeemed, unless in the end.

Deathwing's popularity is nowhere close to Arthas, you got to admit it.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:01 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Arthas is a prick. Ask how you may redeem an intestinal parasite.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:31 PM

Eternal
Location: England, Great Britain, Soon to be United States of Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
I would love to see Arthas a a menacing villain than being redeemed, unless in the end.

Deathwing's popularity is nowhere close to Arthas, you got to admit it.
You're right. Arthas is more popular. But Arthas shouldn't be redeemed that's for certain. I like him. But come on, what are you going to do, bring self-righteous Arthas back? If you make him more humble, it's not the same character. If it's the same character he's basically irredeemable because while I don't think he was an inherently bad person he sure wasn't the redeeming-himself person.
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
- Father Dennis Edward O'Brian, USMC
Old 09-01-2017, 04:42 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Instead of bringing the the old back, and rehashing it ad infinitum, it may be best for the developers to view their previous work as the foundations for a much larger setting. It's been said time and again that Blizzard always, always does better when they break away from the RTS backdrop and develop something new. Allow that to continue. Give the setting a chance to breathe, that it might produce a more abundant story.

Also, why does anyone have to be redeemed? Why can't villains be villains? Nuanced, by all means, but let a murderer be who he is. Let him fly, man.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:42 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomEvilGuy View Post
You're right. Arthas is more popular. But Arthas shouldn't be redeemed that's for certain. I like him. But come on, what are you going to do, bring self-righteous Arthas back? If you make him more humble, it's not the same character. If it's the same character he's basically irredeemable because while I don't think he was an inherently bad person he sure wasn't the redeeming-himself person.
As a villain or a dark ally you got to work with.

Tags
arthas, world of warcraft