Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 06-18-2020, 02:18 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Default Getting back into WoW... Maybe...

The Shadowlands stuff has piqued my interest, namely the revamped leveling, character customization, and some of the new zones. But I largely skipped BfA because of its early release issues and a story that seemed kinda overall meh. But I would like to level up some of my Legion characters to 120 and unlock some (but not all) of the allied races (e.g., Dark Iron Dwarves, Zandalari Trolls) as well as the heritage armor sets (e.g., Blood Elves, Worgen, etc.).

But I decided to start with my worgen druid main in Kul Tiras. I am in the middle of Drust now. Please tell me that this story gets better. Not just Drust but all of Kul Tiras.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:33 AM

Trade Baroness - Admin

Based on what other people have said, if you’re not enjoying Drustvar, you are unlikely to enjoy the other Kul Tiran zones.

That said, I did prefer Stormsong Valley to the other two zones, so outliers exist.

I would’ve told you to wait for the prepatch, since it will make leveling to 120 (50 by then) far quicker and allow you to choose any pre SL zone to level in.

Last edited by Nazja; 06-18-2020 at 04:37 AM..
Old 06-18-2020, 09:44 AM

Guru of Gilneas

When is the pre-patch?

Edit: Right now, I am leveling my main from 110 to 120, and there is 100% bonus XP for some reason, so I am 2/3 through Drustvar and 115.

I will probably wait with my other characters, though I may try to get my 110 human paladin to Zandalar as quickly as possible for rep grinding, questing, and Dark Iron Dwarves.

Last edited by Genesis; 06-18-2020 at 09:57 AM..
Old 06-19-2020, 01:18 PM

Trade Baroness - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
When is the pre-patch?

Edit: Right now, I am leveling my main from 110 to 120, and there is 100% bonus XP for some reason, so I am 2/3 through Drustvar and 115.

I will probably wait with my other characters, though I may try to get my 110 human paladin to Zandalar as quickly as possible for rep grinding, questing, and Dark Iron Dwarves.
We don’t have a date yet.

Come to think of it, if you’re not leveling a sub-100 character, it probably won’t make a huge difference if you level now instead of once the pre-patch hits, thanks to the Corona Exp event.

Probably not a bad idea to get it done now and unlock those allied races. Though I expect the main races to eclipse their popularity once we get all the new customization options.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:01 AM

Guru of Gilneas

So from what I gather playing the Kul Tiras storyline, here is the story so far:
* OMG! Plot twist! Lady Waycrest is a traitor!
* OMG! Plot twist! Lord Stormsong is a traitor!
* OMG! Plot twist! Lady Ashvane is a traitor!

Does that about sum the Kul Tiras experience? Or am I forgetting something?
Old 06-21-2020, 02:27 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
So from what I gather playing the Kul Tiras storyline, here is the story so far:

Those are indeed the primary leveling arcs, though Stormsong Valley dedicates a disproportionate amount of time and real estate to the Horde invading en masse as well, despite the factions supposedly wanting the infiltration of each others zones to remain incognito per their respective War Campaigns.

Not sure if you're avoiding spoilers, but...

There's later continuation of Tiragarde Sound's story with some Drustvar window dressing via the "rescue Jaina" questline, but overall the Kul Tiras concluding arc doesn't really tie its three zones' plots together into one coherent sequence as the Horde story does in Zandalar. In the end it seems like the betrayal of House Proudmoore by all three other ruling houses at roughly the same time was just coincidental rather than planned. Largely because there's no unifying antagonist in Kul Tiras like G'huun is for Zandalar to bring it all together during the finale.

I found the environments and visual themes of Kul Tiras more compelling that Zandalar's, but the actual story beats didn't really hold up past the initial leveling experience. Zandalar's story feels more organized and satisfying, but the road to reach it was kind of disjointed and overly spread out.

And sadly neither story felt like it flowed particularly smoothly into the subsequent raid patches. In no small part thanks to the faction war narrative needing to be addressed instead of devoting time to more organically tying prior events of the expansion into the antagonists of 8.2 and 8.3.

Last edited by ARM3481; 06-21-2020 at 02:57 PM..
Old 06-22-2020, 04:10 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: JulianPatel#1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Based on what other people have said, if you’re not enjoying Drustvar, you are unlikely to enjoy the other Kul Tiran zones.

That said, I did prefer Stormsong Valley to the other two zones, so outliers exist.

I would’ve told you to wait for the prepatch, since it will make leveling to 120 (50 by then) far quicker and allow you to choose any pre SL zone to level in.
I don't know that I'd agree with that. I personally though that Stormsong and Tirigarde were more similar to each other than to Drustvar both aesthetically and storywise. I enjoyed Drustvar's story more (because I like witchy stuff) but I liked the Stormsong aesthetics better. Also because I spent a lot of time there getting my Bee mount. But then I may be an outlier.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:15 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
I found the environments and visual themes of Kul Tiras more compelling that Zandalar's, but the actual story beats didn't really hold up past the initial leveling experience. Zandalar's story feels more organized and satisfying, but the road to reach it was kind of disjointed and overly spread out.
Kul Tiras barely seems like a nation. It also feels so different than I had imagined it, particularly the relative absence of the Church of the Holy Light. And we were never given any impression that Kul Tiras were larger or super skinnier than other humans. It feels more like a nation of recycled and leftover ideas: e.g., we screwed up with Gilneas and worgen, so here's the human shamans we were considering. Oh, and here is slightly more fleshed out human druid lore. Oh, and remember that cool concept art of an octopus island? Let's reuse that here. Oh, here are some more customization options for humans. And yeah, the stories seem disjointed.

In contrast, I have only don Nazmir so far in Zandalar, and I greatly prefer it over most of Kul Tiras. Nazmir felt like a solid exploration of troll lore and loas. My only gripe with Nazmir is that it seems to reflect how Blizzard seems to only know two troll stories: (1) trolls are killing their loas and (2) trolls are worshiping an evil blood god. But it really makes me want to play a Zandalari troll. Also it's pretty obvious that Princess/Queen Talanji is being set up as the new troll racial leader, which honestly seems like a good move.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:47 AM

Priestess of the Moon
BattleTag: Samael#1487

Quote:

Having watched many quest videos (Thank you, Medievaldragon!), I suspect that there WAS a planned overarching theme for Kul Tiras. It's just that, given the linear nature of Blizzard's development process, the downstream contributors got lost in the weeds and forgot to tie things together. By my reckoning, only a few tweaks to certain lines are needed to corral all three zones under a single plot hook: Katherine Proudmoore doesn't have an heir, the collapse of the Proudmoore dynasty is eminent, and the vultures are circling.

Thus, the zone-level stories are recast as:
  • Tiragarde Sound: Lady Ashvane has been engaged in a years-long scheme to insert herself as Kathrine's best-est friend. While she intends to get herself named as successor, destroy the balance of Kul Tiras' oligarchy, and rule as queen, Jaina's return throws a wrench in her plans. Now, she must seize power immediately, before there can be reconciliation.
  • Drustvar: Watching from his pocket universe, Gorak Tul decides this period of unprecedented weakness in the Kul Tiran state is the opportunity he's been waiting for. All he needs is a dupe (Lady Waycrest) to open the door, and the Drust will re-emerge to wipe the humans from the island once and for all.
  • Stormsong Valley: Old God corruption can happen at any time, but the necrophotic entities seem to operate by preying on fears and desires already present in the target. Therefore, if Lord Stormsong became convinced that power over the whole island was within his grasp -- or that ally-less Kul Tiras was about to be destroyed by its enemies (without and within) -- he'd be easily persuaded to embrace madness. Death by palantir, basically.

They could've tied it together. They just...didn't. Then, there was Blizzard's recurring problem of patch content seeming to be thought of more as a mini-expansion than a continuation. At least we got wrap-ups for Jaina and Talanji.

EDIT: I suspect the Horde invasion of Stormsong was a bone thrown to the "I'm Alliance! I'm supposed to be slaughtering orcs!" crowd. However, it's interesting to note that the reciprocal Alliance presence in Zandalar is lower intensity and widely-spread -- almost optional. It may be that teams in charge of each continent placed leadership focus at different levels, one too high and one too low.

Last edited by DarkAngel; 06-23-2020 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: clarified point
Old 06-25-2020, 01:08 AM

Trade Baroness - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
I don't know that I'd agree with that. I personally though that Stormsong and Tirigarde were more similar to each other than to Drustvar both aesthetically and storywise. I enjoyed Drustvar's story more (because I like witchy stuff) but I liked the Stormsong aesthetics better. Also because I spent a lot of time there getting my Bee mount. But then I may be an outlier.
Yeah, Stormsong and Tiragarde are more similar.

I meant that more in the sense that Drustvar is generally accepted as the superior zone questline.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:13 AM

Arch-Druid

At least Tiragarde and Stromsong have somehow a common story string.

Remember that Ashvane was in league with Azshara who is league with N'zoth. So at least two zones have an Old God Connection with the corruption of two houses.

Drustvar is another thing, though. Here we have the Gorak'tul being responsable for the corruption of House Waycrest. (It will be interesting to see him again in shadowlands, which is imo. already semi-confirmed with the Drust returning in the Ardenwald storyline.

@Drustvar:

The zone was amazing because of this gothic horror atmosphere and being creepy fun. (Plus, Waycrest Manor was one of the dungeons in BFA that I actually liked and I'm not that of a 5 man dungeon person...)
Old 07-21-2020, 11:11 PM

Guru of Gilneas

The reputation rewarded for world quests and the like seems substantially less in BfA than it was in Legion.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:24 AM

World Builder

Quote:
The reputation rewarded for world quests and the like seems substantially less in BfA than it was in Legion.
That's what that 'emissary' stuff is for.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 07-23-2020, 01:04 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
That's what that 'emissary' stuff is for.
"Emissary stuff" was the case in Legion too, but it is still comparably less overall.