Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 12-19-2014, 12:31 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
So does anyone on Draenor give a fuck about the Primals? Everyone seems to be dick-riding the Breakers based on what I've seen.
Rangari and the chucklers.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:16 PM

Eternal

Quote:
So does anyone on Draenor give a fuck about the Primals? Everyone seems to be dick-riding the Breakers based on what I've seen.
Well the Laughing Skull care about the Primals because their people keep getting dragged off and turned into plant zombies or mulch by them, man, woman or child.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:32 PM

Eternal

I think Breakers are more cared about because we're in their turf more. Primals are will probably be more prominent in Tanaan Jungle.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:44 PM

The Digger

Breakers also have the advantage of being both more established, and more distinctive.

Ogres have been a part of the lore for a long time now, and as such their extended family feels much more grounded in the lore of Draenor. Even if ogres aren't properly "breakers" anymore, their kin are still well-established as being part of the world.

Aside from that, the Breakers just have more personality than the Primals for the most part. The goren and the podlings both have a lot of character, but the former show up more in the context of their "side." Aside from the podlings, the only primals with any real identities are the Botani, who kinda suffer from "generic tree-hugger syndrome," where they really don't have much to them otherwise. The Breakers, on the other hand, have the extremely distinctive lineage of the ogres and their kin to call upon.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:24 PM

Hippogryph Rider

Quote:
Well, not ON Dreanor exactly but best-follower does want a corpse sample for best-leader. Something about an infection plant life that relentlessly reanimated all it touches into mindless soldiers being 'neat'.

But, yeah. Botani are weird in the way they're directly mirrored and opposed by the breakers, Creation vs Destruction, both attempting to terraform the planet at once. It's like the Titans accidentally activated two re-origination programs at once.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:32 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malrune View Post
But, yeah. Botani are weird in the way they're directly mirrored and opposed by the breakers, Creation vs Destruction, both attempting to terraform the planet at once. It's like the Titans accidentally activated two re-origination programs at once.
Well, not exactly - the Ulduar computer's description of re-origination sounds a lot more intensive than just terraforming the surface - it comes across more like shredding the planet's crust and mantle with cosmic fire until the whole thing's reverted back to a spinning ball of superheated gas and molten rock.

Which seems extreme, but then again, the titans are ageless and patient - in unfortunate the event that re-origination proves necessary, they probably don't mind having to wait a few eons for the atmosphere to reconstitute itself back into something livable so they can start all over again.

The presence of devices to outright control and direct the more powerful Breakers and Primals makes me think the titans didn't actually create them, but rather found them already there and organized them into a state of balanced conflict. If they'd fabricated the Breakers and Primals themselves, they wouldn't need such artifacts to direct them, because they could have just made them subject to the sort of behavioral "programming" that keeps their uncorrupted servants on Azeroth bound to their respective tasks.

Last edited by ARM3481; 12-20-2014 at 10:36 PM..
Old 12-20-2014, 10:36 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Well, not exactly - the Ulduar computer's description of re-origination sounds a lot more intensive than just terraforming the surface - it comes across more like shredding the planet's crust and mantle with cosmic fire until the whole thing's reverted back to a spinning ball of superheated gas and molten rock.

Which seems extreme, but then again, the titans are ageless and patient - in unfortunate the event that re-origination proves necessary, they probably don't mind having to wait a few eons for the atmosphere to reconstitute itself back into something livable so they can start all over again.

The presence of devices to outright control Breakers and Primals makes me think the titans didn't actually create them, but rather organized them into a state of balanced conflict. If they'd fabricated the Breakers and Primals themselves, they wouldn't need such artifacts to direct them, because they could have just made them subject to the sort of behavioral "programming" that keeps the uncorrupted earthen and mechagnomes of Azeroth bound to their respective tasks.
I believe Afrasiabi said in an interview the Uldum re-origination worked by sending out something like a EMP signal that just wiped out all organic life (to be replaced by new life via Ulduar and other facilities) but wouldn't affect the planet itself.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:39 PM

Hippogryph Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
I believe Afrasiabi said in an interview the Uldum re-origination worked by sending out something like a EMP signal that just wiped out all organic life (to be replaced by new life via Ulduar and other facilities) but wouldn't affect the planet itself.
Worlds 'bathed in the makers flame' and all that.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:42 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malrune View Post
Worlds 'bathed in the makers flame' and all that.
Well that was long before the Afrasiabi interview (that was during Cata) and could also refer to other actions.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:49 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Oh right, I forgot they couldn't even keep that consistent for longer than the span of a few patches.

But hey, it was totally worth retconning Ulduar for the sake of the waste of space called Uldum.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:51 PM

In Nagrand you help goblins unearth an artefact, but unless I am mistaken, they never tell you what it is. Said artifact looks like the Soul Grinder.

Is it the Soul Grinder, or is it a Soul Grinder?
Old 12-20-2014, 11:02 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
In Nagrand you help goblins unearth an artefact, but unless I am mistaken, they never tell you what it is. Said artifact looks like the Soul Grinder.

It could be both and neither.

I kind of get the feeling that the Soul Grinder is only even a Soul Grinder at all because Borgal (and in the main universe, Skulloc) happened to use the souls of slaves as a convenient medium for activating and empowering it.

Through their various creations and servants the titans have shown general mastery of all flavors of magic, so it wouldn't surprise me if their devices are highly adaptable when it comes to the sort of magical catalysts that can be used to activate and charge them.

Either way, the artifacts on Draenor thus far seem to frequently carry a similar theme of exerting control over things (as opposed to the myriad titanic data stores and defensive mechanisms that pop up on Azeroth) which is why I feel like any ordering they did on Draenor may have predominantly involved organizing and directing what was already there into a state where they where they would naturally tend toward a form of organic and balanced planetary development. Borgal and Skulloc charged the Soul Grinder with souls and used it to control those souls, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was created for that specific application beyond the exertion of control over something.

Last edited by ARM3481; 12-20-2014 at 11:04 PM..
Old 12-20-2014, 11:04 PM

Eternal

Quote:

No. The Soul Grinder is unearthed by the Bloodmaul Ogres in Frostfire. The Iron Horde hires the ogres to recover it because somehow Garrosh knew is was somewhere there. The ogres naturally turn on the orcs once they find it and its up to a certain heroic commander to recover it.

This expansion has a lot of souls of the dead being desecrated, consumed or destroyed.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:11 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Oh right, I forgot they couldn't even keep that consistent for longer than the span of a few patches.

But hey, it was totally worth retconning Ulduar for the sake of the waste of space called Uldum.
You know they could always have gotten Ulduar messed up instead of vice versa.
Quote:
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutinz View Post
No. The Soul Grinder is unearthed by the Bloodmaul Ogres in Frostfire. The Iron Horde hires the ogres to recover it because somehow Garrosh knew is was somewhere there. The ogres naturally turn on the orcs once they find it and its up to a certain heroic commander to recover it.

This expansion has a lot of souls of the dead being desecrated, consumed or destroyed.
I did the quests in Frostfire but saw now mention of the Iron Horde. Is that part of another garrison quest line?
Old 12-20-2014, 11:14 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
You know they could always have gotten Ulduar messed up instead of vice versa.
Perhaps, but then I guess that would make re-origination the only thing they got right in Uldum.

So in a way, I'm kind of giving them the benefit of the doubt.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:52 AM

Elune

if the titans reorginated the planet, what happened to theblack empire (klaaxi tauren trolls and bees?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:56 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshadow View Post
if the titans reorginated the planet, what happened to theblack empire (klaaxi tauren trolls and bees?)
They didn't. Players prevented the re-origination, and their defeat of the Old gods was part of the original re-ordering.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:16 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I did the quests in Frostfire but saw now mention of the Iron Horde. Is that part of another garrison quest line?
There is a dead Iron Horde delegate with a journal you can pick up and read.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=110536
Old 12-21-2014, 03:39 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: kam#1475

i dunno to me the primals are like the borg in that they want to assimilate all non plant things to be plant food or plant people whereas the breakers just want to beat everything up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Just remember, the Alliance is only ever allowed to passively defend itself against the Horde, and Taurajo was Azeroth's equivalent of the Holocaust.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:37 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirnheim View Post
i dunno to me the primals are like the borg in that they want to assimilate all non plant things to be plant food or plant people whereas the breakers just want to beat everything up
The Zangar seem to be more like the Borg, IMHO.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 12-21-2014, 03:34 PM

Eternal

The garrison campaign is really underwhelming. I don't know if they ran out of time doing it but it just feels lame. I did 'The fall of Shattrath' today and even the quests themselves were rather bland for a blizzard product and that's ignoring the story part.

I don't know if they ran out of time to develop it or what but they have completely missed capturing what made the 5.1 narrative work. WoD's development was troubled and frankly the more I play it the more it seems to show to me.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:03 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I can't even seem to find where they're supposed to be picked up. I ran into the one quest that gives that Sargerei disguise, which for some reason isn't a toy, and somehow that didn't count for the garrison campaign achievement.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:16 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I can't even seem to find where they're supposed to be picked up. I ran into the one quest that gives that Sargerei disguise, which for some reason isn't a toy, and somehow that didn't count for the garrison campaign achievement.
Once you finish a questline, the next part can be picked up in your garrison the next day, I think. Or week?

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:28 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia View Post
Once you finish a questline, the next part can be picked up in your garrison the next day, I think. Or week?
Never saw it.

Tags
lore, warlocks of draenor