This interests me.

Now if only I could paint.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:54 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
This interests me.

Now if only I could paint.
I've played Warhammer for about ten-eleven years and barely any of mine are painted to any great amount because I'm too much of a perfectionist.

Sigh.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:04 AM

Needs A Hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
I've played Warhammer for about ten-eleven years and barely any of mine are painted to any great amount because I'm too much of a perfectionist.

Sigh.
I've never played Warhammer and I'm not sure anyone in my town plays this game.

Could always ask around at the game store, I guess.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:11 AM

Eternal

It sure looks interesting. But from what I've heard, the factions are divided into two gamesets, so there are factions you can only play in Warmachine and some you can only play in Hordes?
Old 03-15-2015, 08:25 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
It sure looks interesting. But from what I've heard, the factions are divided into two gamesets, so there are factions you can only play in Warmachine and some you can only play in Hordes?
Nope.

Warmachine and Hordes are the same ruleset, the lore takes place at the same time/world. The only difference that in Warmachine you have Warcasters and Warjacks and in Hordes you have Warlocks and Warbeasts. In WH you generate Focus whilst in HO you generate Fury. That is the only difference in terms of rules as the games are designed to be played together. The Warmachine factions are more Steampunky/technologically advanced whilst the Hordes are more primitive as the names imply.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:27 AM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
Which Warcaster were you eyeing up playing?
Well.. None, since I really don't know the rules, and I don't even know with what I should begin. I guess a starter pack would be good, but I'm not sure the Khador starter pack is that great. I've been more interested in the unites than the leaders, really, possibly because I can't create my own warcaster, it seems. Truth been told, if I can pick a faction in Horde, maybe I won't play Khador.

Last edited by Korath; 03-15-2015 at 08:30 AM..
Old 03-15-2015, 08:37 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korath View Post
Well.. None, since I really don't know the rules, and I don't even know with what I should begin. I guess a starter pack would be good, but I'm not sure the Khador starter pack is that great. I've been more interested in the unites than the leaders, really, possibly because I can't create my own warcaster, it seems. Truth been told, if I can pick a faction in Horde, maybe I won't play Khador.
Enjoy. I can't say I know all that much about Hordes.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:38 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

WarmaHordes are two different games set in one, yes. They are compatible with each other and use very similar rulesets - and are also balanced to be played with/against each other.

I believe that Khador and Cygnar also allows sub-factions, since the game takes place in different timelines. The same Warcaster can possibly have several models / cards, which depict him/her/it during different time periods of their lives.

Lael, the WarmaHordes portrayal of France, can be played as a subgroup of Cygnar, with Lael-only warcasters leading mercenary/cygnar troops with a unique colouring scheme.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:42 AM

Hon hon hon

Damn. Playing the Lael would be too troublesome,since I would have to pick only some mercenaries.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:13 AM

Elune

Main difference between Hordes and Warmachine are Warcasters versus Warlocks.

In Warmachine, Warcasters are the generals of your army; they weave a certain kind of magitechcraft which allows them to possess and control "Warjacks" - immense (or not) feats of technology. Warjacks are dimwitted semi-sentient engines of war, who need a strong Warcasters to activate and direct them in combat. Warcasters use a resource called "Focus" to control their Warjacks; but they use the same resource to cast their spells. "Focus" also adds to the Warcasters durability when attacked, and will only be replenished at the start of your turn - so the Warmachine player must be wise in deciding how much Focus to spend on spells, Warjacks and how much to hold onto if he or she expects an attack.

In Hordes, Warlocks are the leaders of your armies. The Hordes are barbaric savages who haven't the technology of the Iron Kingdoms; instead resorting to older and darker magic. They employ warbeasts and monsters, and it is the Warlocks job to keep these animals enslaved. Warbeasts generate something called Fury, which is the main resource of Hordes. Where Warcasters need to place their Focus before acting, Warlocks operate the other way; they beat their beasts into submission by forcing them to commit certain acts (such as attacking an enemy, casting a spell or using an ability) which enrages the warbeast. The Warlock must then "leech" the Fury from all of his or her Warbeasts, and then uses that Fury to cast spells. Like Focus, Fury also adds a defensive factor to the Warlock; so the player must decide how much of it to spend. Warlocks can hold a finite amount of Fury, however, and it's very important that the Hordes player does not enrage his or her Warbeasts beyond the capacity of what the Warlock can leech; otherwise the Warbeast will go berserk, attacking whatever is closest to it. Some Horde armies may intentionally charge a Warbeast away from their main host, into the enemy, and whipping it into a rage overdrive; knowing that they won't have to suffer the consequences.

Thus, Warmachine is for those who wish to plan ahead and setup a strategy, whereas Hordes reap higher rewards but are also more of a gamble, requiring snap decisions and a change of tactics in the heat of battle. Warmachine is for the chess player, Hordes is for the poker player.

As for factions...

Warmachine:

Cygnar - The "good guys" (well, better guys, still highly corrupt). Reminiscent of the Alliance in Warcraft. Ranged combat, steam punk technology and Tesla coils.

Menoth - Sect of fire. Imagine Draenei + Ordon + KKK + ISIS + Scientology, and you've got the Protectorate of Menoth. They are a buff/debuff kind of army, with several special effects and ways to cheat.

Cryx - Necrons meet the Scourge + Amazons + Steam punk, and a healthy dose of pirates. Disposable swarms, sneaky tactics and worship of an undead dragon god who is not Zhaitan.

Khador - Soviet Russia. Imperialistic communists with no technology. They use ancient Warjacks from time long since passed, and seek to expand, putting them into conflict with Legion, Cygnar and Retribution. Focus on units and solos (who are very sturdy). Big, burly men and women wear parts of warjacks to become walking tanks.

Convergence of Cyriss - Underground sect of transhumans, worshipping the machine godess of logic and knowledge. Seek to transform the world into a machine-host for their godess. Supreme technology over the other races, recycles energy between their warjacks. Limited release. Won't get a steady rate of updates.

Retribution of Scyrah - Terrorist group who have recently gained political support by the majority of the dying Elven kingdoms. The Elven gods are dead or dying, which leads to Elven magic fading in the world - and more and more elves being born without souls. When it was revealed that the elven god Nessor is being kept hostage in a cryogenic cell by the Khador empire, the Elven kingdom rallied behind the Retribution on a crusade to wipe out humanity - whose magic they believe to be the source of the declining health of their gods. Uses shields and barriers on their Warjacks (think Protoss in Starcraft) and makes clever use of terrain to their advantage.

Warmachine Mercenaries - Stand-alone units which can be incorporated in certain armies (contracts) or played as stand-alone forces. The five current mercenary armies are:

The Four Star Syndicate - Organized crime army. Mercenaries in the literal sense.

The Highborne Covenant - The "French" aristocracy of the kingdom of Lael, resisting Khadorian invasion. Uses Cygnar troops and Laelian warcasters. Glass-cannons.

The Seaforge Comission - Steampunk dwarves with ogres thrown into the mix. Tanky. Slow. Quirky.

The Talion Charter - Pirates. Synergetic army; buffs and debuffs, and work better the more pirates you take, as the buffs accumulate and make every pirate better. Kinda like playing a tribal deck in magic (or Murlocs in Hearthstone, if you will).

Puppet Masters - Convergence of Cyriss devotees who deserted to the Cryx. Mind controls and enslaves lesser beings and builds armies of disposable fodder. Glass cannons.

Hordes:

Circle of Orboros - Druids and wildlings; all human. Are accused of worshipping elder gods; but the Circle themselves claim that they are merely appeasing their great hunger, to keep them from waking. Uses terrain to their advantage. Shapeshifters, werewolves, forest magic. Can teleport and use tricks.

Legion of Everblight - A dragon god who destroyed itself to infest the entirety of the Nyss (Dark Elf) kingdom with its' essence. Each Legion soldier carries within him or herself a part of the dragon gods soul, compelling them to do it's command. Legion has an angelic theme to it, but corrupted to foulness. Most of their warbeasts are named after biblical and kabbalistic angels, seraphs and what have you. They are cused with Illidanism - though blind, they can see all, and can see the enemy through forests, walls, buildings and so on. Considered by many to be the most powerful army currently in the game, alongside Khador and Cryx.

Skorne - The Persian Empire meets the Roman Empire meets the Mongol Horde. Former slave race who live in a culture of pain and strength. They were deceived by their gods and learned that the afterlife is a hellish nightmare; and so they fear nothing. Orc-like, their empress personally leads the Skorne swarm across the Iron Kingdoms. They make use of roman tactics and infantry as well as giant elephant-beasts. In my opinion, the most visually impressive army (think Brettonians, but Persian instead of Arthurian).

Trollbloods - Warcraft 3 Horde. Outcasts, mongrels and free folk, who wish to remain free. The "good guy" faction (even more so than Cygnar), yet lacking all the valour and shinyness of human knights. These guys are the Shreks, Quasiomodos, Dobby's and Hodors of the Iron Kingdom. Enduring and tough, they are hard to kill, and use brute strenght to make war and remain free folk in a world who seeks to destroy or enslave them.

Minions: Horde version of Mercenaries. Can be incorporated into various armies or played as standalone. The two current minion armies are:

The Blindwater Congregation - Anthromorphic crocodiles and lizardmen. Uses water to their advantage. Have a culture steeped in Voodoo, shamanism, tribalism and necromancy.

The Thornfall Alliance - Kobolds and pigmen, aided by insane scientists who were outcasts of the civilized world.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Elves are bad.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:29 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Nope.

Warmachine and Hordes are the same ruleset, the lore takes place at the same time/world. The only difference that in Warmachine you have Warcasters and Warjacks and in Hordes you have Warlocks and Warbeasts. In WH you generate Focus whilst in HO you generate Fury. That is the only difference in terms of rules as the games are designed to be played together. The Warmachine factions are more Steampunky/technologically advanced whilst the Hordes are more primitive as the names imply.
Good, so I misunderstood something. Would've been kinda weird if Warmachines and Hordes couldn't battle against eachother.

The factions that interest me the most are the Trollbloods and Skorne, though I'm leaning more to Trollbloods.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:07 AM

Hon hon hon

I think I'll play the Khador or Orboros. But I don't know what I should take to begin in this game...
Old 03-15-2015, 10:20 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

I'll wait and see how Fantasy comes out of the End Times before making any decisions, but it does look interesting. I like Warhammer F&40K models more, though.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:14 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

I don't play any miniatures game because I don't have room for all that god damn shit.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:43 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

So how fucked up is this universe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:57 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
It's not pleasant, but it's not 40k/Fantasy grimdark. Some of the Cryx stuff is pretty dark.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:02 PM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
It's not pleasant, but it's not 40k/Fantasy grimdark. Some of the Cryx stuff is pretty dark.
The Everblight seems disgusting. And incredibly dangerous, also.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:57 PM

World Builder

Quote:
There's a faction that uses tortured psychic baby elephant-thing pain as a weapon.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-15-2015, 02:58 PM

Elune

Quote:
It's not GrimDark, if that's what you're after.

Elves are bad.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:11 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

It seems interesting, though I am weary of the elves. The "elves dying with no hope" shit is getting old and boring. We've had it in Warhammer, especially in 40k with their extremely hopeless tumble into extinction. Is this any different?

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 03-15-2015, 03:23 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
It seems interesting, though I am weary of the elves. The "elves dying with no hope" shit is getting old and boring. We've had it in Warhammer, especially in 40k with their extremely hopeless tumble into extinction. Is this any different?
Yeah, starting on a downhill slope and going down further is boring.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-15-2015, 03:30 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
The Retribution of Scyrah wants to exterminate humanity. Some of them believe it will aid their gods recovery, but most just want to give humanity a big fuck you before dying out.

I think it's pretty different from the Warhammer/Craft-elves, personally. But that's just me.

Elves are bad.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:32 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
The Retribution of Scyrah wants to exterminate humanity. Some of them believe it will aid their gods recovery, but most just want to give humanity a big fuck you before dying out.

I think it's pretty different from the Warhammer/Craft-elves, personally. But that's just me.
They should join Everblight he will give them a new future.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-15-2015, 04:09 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

So there's no sadistic/slutty elf group that makes life miserable for everyone but still somehow lives on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:13 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
So there's no sadistic/slutty elf group that makes life miserable for everyone but still somehow lives on?
No, just elven extremists that hunts human magicians. They're as good as dead, without hope. I hope they prove me wrong.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Tags
eye of kilrog, warhammer