Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 07-04-2017, 07:10 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Darkmoon Card: Maelstrom Portals, FTL and a Thousand Years

What do all of these have in common? That they happen in or around the Twisting Nether and that time plays a role. Most of us know what portals are; hence, we rarely ask how they function. However, we know that portals (and other forms of FTL travel) necessarily have to make use of jumps through the TN, so shouldn't we ask ourselves what makes this realm so vital? What is its significance to portal travel? Is it what makes this form of travel instantaneous?

It is possible that the TN automatically folds space, but what if its chaotic nature leads to the creation of ever changing paths that can be used as shortcuts between two locations in the Great Dark Beyond that are actually very far from each other geographically? The caster would then simply have to find the (currently) shortest path via magic and use it to hook-up their portal.

But Nazja, shouldn't even the shortest path take some time? How come portal travel is instantaneous? Well, I'm glad you asked! If space is chaotic in the Twisting Nether, why should time be ordered and linear? What if portals not only take us somewhere but also somewhen? If this is the case, only the caster's ignorance and lack of imagination keeps mages and warlocks from invading not only your bedroom but also your bedroom at that time! You know what you were doing, so don't force me to spell it out!

What does this mean for Turalyon and his claims to have fought the Legion for one thousand years? He doesn't look that old, so maybe he didn't literally fight for one thousand years. Maybe that's just how far he has time-travelled through the TN! Alternatively, he could be talking about the AoL and not himself, or Blizzard will remove this part of his dialogue again.

Anyway, sorry for wasting your time, but I had too much fun to not post this silly theory.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:41 AM

Warden

Has it been stated anywhere the the Twisting Nether is integral to teleportation? I think it was, but I am not sure. I know Ner'zhul used it as a sort of metro station, but not if it was necessary for all travel.

That said, the chaotic nature of the Twisting Nether would probably cause all sorts of problems trying to use it for teleportation, time dilation being one of them. However, it would make technology and magic that create portals all the more unstable, necessitating a greater level of education and experience before utilizing them for travel, which would lend greater significance to mages and technicians who specialize in their construction and maintenance. All this to say that portals are not cheap or convenient for mass travel (though we've seen plenty of evidence to the contrary) without tremendous facilities, rituals, and power sources.

At least it would help avoid the question of why people bother with conventional modes of travel when teleportation exists.

Minor note: I miss portal/teleportation runes.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:58 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

I believe it has.

Although arcane is the magic of order, I believe that for most magicians, blue dragons excluded, intent plays a larger role than exact calculations and incantations. The caster imposes his will on the magic, and it takes care of imposing order on the Twisting Nether to get the intended results.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:30 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

In terms of something being "instantaneous," that's all relative to perspective. To the person passing through the portal, it may be instantaneous, but to those who interact with them it might be milliseconds or minutes between. Viceversa too. Going from the Warcraft Movie's depiction (which I rather like), it's not actually instantaneous, but there's a lag-time where individuals are free-floating in the Twisting Nether.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:06 AM

Critter
BattleTag: BlackLight#2960

It might be possible to be a difference between portals, depending on the type of magic you used to make it.

For example: Both Gul'dan and Ner'zhul (through the Scepter of Sargeras) used fel magic to open portals. And since fel is chaotic it passes through the Twisting Nether, while mages use arcane that simply draws on the power of the ley lines of Azeroth.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:57 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLight View Post
It might be possible to be a difference between portals, depending on the type of magic you used to make it.

For example: Both Gul'dan and Ner'zhul (through the Scepter of Sargeras) used fel magic to open portals. And since fel is chaotic it passes through the Twisting Nether, while mages use arcane that simply draws on the power of the ley lines of Azeroth.
Leylines are, classically, streams of power (condensed field lines of magic), so I don't think they're necessarily a place so much as a source. That said, you're right, there may be other dimensional planes that one could travel through. Shadowstep, for instance, seems like it could draw on Shadow (the Void plane).

Old 07-05-2017, 12:01 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Leylines are, classically, streams of power (condensed field lines of magic), so I don't think they're necessarily a place so much as a source. That said, you're right, there may be other dimensional planes that one could travel through. Shadowstep, for instance, seems like it could draw on Shadow (the Void plane).
I assumed that the shadow related abilities of Rogues were just normal actions subtly touched with magic; smoke and mirrors.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:49 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apep View Post
I assumed that the shadow related abilities of Rogues were just normal actions subtly touched with magic; smoke and mirrors.
Ditto, but it'd be interesting if it was more.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:24 PM

Druid of the Talon

Mage portals are both said to go through the ley lines and the Twisting Nether.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:47 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Maybe they're like subway lines. You can travel from one point to another along a leyline.

Isn't that how some of the teleportation beacons in Suramar work?
Old 07-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Echo of the Past

This thread is about Nightcrawler.

Tags
speculation, warcraft