Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2011, 03:25 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default [Doctor Who] - New series discussion thread

Doctor Who is awesome. You don't watch it? I pity you. Go watch it now and make me stop pitying you. Now! Also, stop reading this thread because spoilers will be the foundation of it, and the awesome plot twists of this series are partially ruined with the spoilers (you don't want to know who Luke's father is before watching the movie for the first time).

For those who watch it, let's talk about it!

My favorite episodes: Pandorica 1&2, Impossible Planet 1 (2 ruined it), Time of the Angels 1&2 (1 better than 2) and Utopia 1&2&3 (3 could have been better. Starship UK was awesome, too, and I especially loved the Madame Pompadour episode, it was just . And the nazi episodes? River Song FTW. And Gridlock, the highway one, was good at the beginning but then... wtf crabs.

Worst episodes: the one where a fat guy absorbed people from the skin and the spoiled little girl who trapped people in drawings. Donna and Rose were annoying as hell, too, lol.

And I don't remember more stuff right now .

If you want, we can discuss each episode, from the very first.

By the way, best track ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goeBFfW9NLA .

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 10-29-2011 at 05:23 AM..
Old 10-29-2011, 03:27 AM

Elune

I saw the episode with the angel statues.Thought its kinda lame.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:29 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumShadow843 View Post
I saw the episode with the angel statues.Thought its kinda lame.
Woot? it had a shitload of awesome plot-twist. River Song's call, Amy and the TV, the realization the statues weren't 2 headed... it was freaking awesome o_o.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 10-29-2011, 07:24 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Rufin#1220

never seen it once.
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Shut up your nipples are useless.
I'm a bit slow, but it's awesome.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:37 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufin View Post
never seen it once.
BAD. VERY BAD.

Start watching N-O-W: http://www.megavideo.com/?v=2K83WCK8 (sorry for subtitles, didn't find any decent video around ).

And once you realize how awesome it is, download it!

Edit: Better video.

Last edited by Lon-ami; 10-29-2011 at 07:48 AM..
Old 10-29-2011, 07:44 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Loved it since I was little . Went back and watched all of the classics from the 60s+ and my favourite Doctor moments where basically all of Tom Bakers episodes.

Run
Old 10-29-2011, 11:22 AM

Revenant - Moderator

I don't like the current Doctor.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:30 AM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I like Matt Smith. Not as much as I liked David Tennant, but I do like him.

Quote:
Thought its kinda lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 10-29-2011, 12:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
I don't like the current Doctor.
I didn't like him when I saw the first pics, but after seeing him in action, I think he's awesome. The huge improvement of the series' quality helps, too, but I think he's doing a great job (David was more mature, and Matt is it infantile sometimes, but it's fine anyway ).

Old 10-29-2011, 12:55 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
I didn't like him when I saw the first pics, but after seeing him in action, I think he's awesome. The huge improvement of the series' quality helps, too, but I think he's doing a great job (David was more mature, and Matt is it infantile sometimes, but it's fine anyway ).
I gave him a chance.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:27 PM

Eternal

I love the weeping angels, the silence and the creatures that hide in the shadows (they were in River Song's first appearance). Moffat has a way of coming up with simple but terrifying creatures straight out of nightmares. I love Matt Smith although I think David Tennant is just as brilliant. I would never be able to choose between them, personally. I do think that the writing since Moffat took over has been far, far superior to Davies run...although I did enjoy the newest Torchwood season. I love the current idea of the Doctor having unwittingly become a Batman-like figure that is either hated or revered. I am not a fan of Rose, but I think that Donna, Captain Jack, Amy and Rory show a lot of personality and are really enjoyable as companions. I think my favorite episode was the recent "A Good Man Goes to War". The most touching episode was the one with Vincent van Gogh.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:20 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
I love the weeping angels, the silence and the creatures that hide in the shadows (they were in River Song's first appearance). Moffat has a way of coming up with simple but terrifying creatures straight out of nightmares. I love Matt Smith although I think David Tennant is just as brilliant. I would never be able to choose between them, personally. I do think that the writing since Moffat took over has been far, far superior to Davies run...although I did enjoy the newest Torchwood season. I love the current idea of the Doctor having unwittingly become a Batman-like figure that is either hated or revered. I am not a fan of Rose, but I think that Donna, Captain Jack, Amy and Rory show a lot of personality and are really enjoyable as companions. I think my favorite episode was the recent "A Good Man Goes to War". The most touching episode was the one with Vincent van Gogh.
I wish The Master appeared around more, he's pretty awesome. And yes, the Weeping Angels and the "Shadow things that eat flesh" are one of the best creatures of the universe, imo.

By the way, Doomsday OST: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am7eHyJ8_1Y is freaking awesome (and sad ).

Old 11-01-2011, 11:09 AM

Warden

WOO DOCTOR WHO!

I adore David Tenant. It took a long time for Matt Smith to finally feel good. I would say the end of Season 5/beginning of Season 6.

I highly dislike Amy though. Two seasons and she still does not feel right. Admittedly, she is hot, but that shocked expression she gets ALL THE DAMN TIME makes me want to punch her in the face.

That face. Right there. PUNCH.

AND SHE BREATHES SO LOUD. URGH.

It took Rose a full season before I liked her.

Not quite sure how I feel about River. It seems like too much of a pigeon hole for her to be in the mix. Don't ask why.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:10 AM

Elune

Wow i might watch it just for her
Old 11-02-2011, 12:39 PM

Elune

Quote:
Wow i might watch it just for her
The first one, Rose, has more "content" that Amy, if that's what you're searching .

Old 11-03-2011, 05:02 AM

Eternal

Old 11-03-2011, 08:00 AM
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

I have a lot of problems with Stephen Moffats writing and stupid Amy Pond that I will rant about later.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:14 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
I have a lot of problems with Stephen Moffats writing and stupid Amy Pond that I will rant about later.
Porimlys dislikes something?
Old 11-03-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Porimlys dislikes something?
My defense of WoW is certainly not testament to a need for me to defend everything in the world. There are good things and there are bad things

Anyway, below is a copy pasta of something I posted on my tumblr the other day regarding Moffats Doctor Who.

---------------------
I judge Stephen Moffat’s writing abilities on the contents of the show that he is in charge of writing. And I find that his plots and characters fall short consistently. They become so contrived and convoluted that it is no wonder there are so many plot holes. His character development is weak and uninspired, and in that same vein he’s not terribly adept at making the driving relationships of the show believable. The guy has some cool concepts and rad ideas, that’s how he proved to people he was worth paying attention to in the first place, but now that he is in charge of the entire show he needs to learn that he can’t use those to drive the story forward.

The last episode came across (to me) as him sitting at his writing table thinking “Man, skulls that eat people would be cool. Oh! So would a giant chess match! And area 52 being in the pyramids! And all time will happen at once, and the girl who waited fhougfhough” so he shoves them all into the same episode without too much regard for the actual story that episode was supposed to tell. The characters just do stuff and we’re supposed to believe it because that’s what happened on the screen, but the whole time I watched the episode where Amy is trapped and becomes some mega warrior I was just thinking “Amy has never proven herself capable of this, she’s pretty much just stood around being dependent on everyone around her. All she does to the Doctor is make him somber and mopey without ever really doing a good job of establishing their relationship. The Doctor is important to her because she says so three times an episode, and Amy is important to him because… he keeps saving her?

He has this strange need to force things on his show, the greatest example for me is the “girl who waited” garbage. It comes across as a silly attempt to apply memes to his writing before anyone knows if they should actually give a shit. I’ve never heard it and been inspired to think more of Amy, nor have I ever thought that it was something that added to her character, so why is it a motif that keeps reoccuring? To be crass, whenever I hear someone say “The girl who waited” on the show I get an image of Moffat masturbating over his own writing. The guy has his talents, but they are wasted without interesting characters, believable relationships or cohesive and grounded plot lines.

I’ll keep watching Doctor Who, because I do still like it, but there are a lot of really glaring issues with the writing that got excessively worse in this past season.

Last edited by Porimlys; 11-03-2011 at 12:21 PM..
Old 11-03-2011, 02:58 PM

Eternal

The funny thing is that you would be freaking out and defending it if somebody wrote the same thing about World of Warcraft.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
The funny thing is that you would be freaking out and defending it if somebody wrote the same thing about World of Warcraft.
I hope I wouldn't be "freaking out", but I'd defend it if I thought it was worth defending. Either because I disagree with it or because I thought the opinion expressed wasn't taking into consideration a certain viewpoint.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:55 PM

Eternal

Doctor Who movie incoming

Hopefully not a reboot. I'd like to see the time war.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:57 PM

Here's to hoping Moffat's not the only head writer ;D
Old 12-21-2011, 02:08 PM

Arch-Druid

Ehhmm, afaik Moffat vetoed the movie. (Baiscly, because the guy who wanted to do it, wants a reboot..)
Old 12-21-2011, 03:26 PM

Sha of Disappointment

I was demanded to join this thread.
I hereby do so.

Tags
entertainment