Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 09-07-2013, 09:49 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Default World of Warcraft (Genesis)

This model represents not necessarily what I would have done, but an alternative way that World of Warcraft could have been done.

World of Warcraft (2004)
The Eastern Kingdoms are in disarray as a result of the Scourge and the demonic Burning Legion. You the player must explore, survive, and make your way through the exotic lands of new home: Kalimdor.

Factions: None. Although nations and political factions do exist, the Kalimdor nations are in the process of forging a peace treaty or truce between their respective nations. The peace between their nations is called the Pact of Hyjal. Players can play together with their friends as any race.

Starting Races: Dwarf, Human, Night Elf, Orc, Tauren, Troll
- Goal: Provide greater in-depth quality to a smaller initial set of races. More races will be added in subsequent expansions. Since there is not a two-faction system, races do not have to be added in pairs, but one-by-one as they are actually relevant to the narrative. Quality racial in-game integration!
Expansion Races: Blood/High Elves, Goblins, Gnomes

Capitals: Theramore (Human and Dwarf), Orgrimmar (Orc and Troll), Thunder Bluff (Tauren), and Nighthaven (Night Elf)

The Continent of Kalimdor
World of Warcraft would pick up where Warcraft 3 largely left off, focused primarily on the exploration and settlement of Kalimdor. Humans, orcs, trolls, dwarves, and tauren would be focused on settling and exploring Kalimdor, the Lands of Mystery. Though natives of Kalimdor, the tauren are switching to a sedentary lifestyle, which is part of their inclusion in the prior grouping. The night elves have already settled the northern lands of Kalimdor, but much of their land has been ravaged by the Burning Legion, Scourge remnants, as well as unintentional damage by the Horde and Alliance. Night elves are therefore trying to secure their lands, adjust to their mortality, and leave the shelter of their isolationism in favor of the new political landscape in which they find themselves.

The Eastern Kingdoms would not be featured in the first game. Kalimdor's in-game size would be greatly expanded, partially to compensate for the "loss" of the Eastern Kingdoms in the launched game. The continent would be made less blockier and closer to its Warcraft 3 configuration. Since the continent would be larger, there would be more zones in Kalimdor.

Raids and Dungeons
The raids and dungeons will include most of the dungeons and raids already present in Kalimdor or Eastern Kingdoms ones that have been appropriated for Kalimdor (e.g. Stormwind Stockade to Theramore Stockade).

Dungeons
* Alcaz Island
* Barrow Deeps
* Barrow Dens
* Blackfathom Deeps
* Ghastholme (Darkshore): In older maps, Darkshore was the northernmost region of Kalimdor, which makes it close to Northrend and the Scourge.
* Dire Maul
* Howling Vale
* Maraudon
* Northwatch Hold
* Ragefire Chasm
* Razorfen Downs
* Razorfen Kraul
* Sea Witch's Lair (Echo Isles)
* Silithian Hive (Silithus)
* Stonetalon Caverns
* Temple of Zin-Malor (Azshara)
* Theramore Stockade
* Timbermaw Hold (Winterspring)
* Uldawar (Un'goro Crater)
* Wailing Caverns
* Windshear Mines (aka Kalimdor Deadmines)
* Zul'Farrak

Raids
* Ahn'Qiraj (C'thun)
* Demonfall Canyon (Shadow Council and the Spawn of Mannoroth)
* Mount Hyjal (Dreadlord Mephistroth)
* Onyxia's Lair (Onyxia)
* Stonetalon Peak (Echo of Cenarius)

Threats, Adversaries, and Plots
The above dungeons and raids hint at several of the threats and adversaries that the heroes will encounter, which form the major plot lines for the initial game.

Black Dragonflight: The Black Dragonflight is led by Deathwing under the guise of Lord Prestor, a noble who lost his holdings to the Scourge, and an adviser to Jaina Proudmoore. He claims to work against the Sons of Daelin, but he secretly funds their efforts. Deathwing has secretly captured a secretive emissary from Stormwind who came requesting aid from Theramore. The quest chain mirrors the Defias quests, but with the Sons of Daelin. Deathwing, however, remains a court adviser, having led a false trail to his daughter Onyxia instead of him.

Centaur: Centaur are the racial enemy of the tauren. They are encountered primarily in Maraudon, with some presence in Razorfen Kraul.

Naga: The naga are the ancient foes of the night elves, but they have also engendered the hatred of the Darkspear trolls for the destruction of their homelands by the naga Sea Witch. While principally servants of the Old Gods, the naga also serve the Burning Legion and other agents of great power. Naga are encountered in Blackfathom Deeps, the Sea Witch's Lair, and the Temple of Zin-Malor.

The Nightmare: The Nightmare is the corruption plaguing the Emerald Dream and its inhabitants. The influence of the Nightmare is touched upon (in varying degrees) in Barrow Deeps, Barrow Dens, Howling Vale, Wailing Caverns, Maraudon, Stonetalon Peak, and Zul'Farrak.

Shadow Council: The Shadow Council are the orcs who wish to return to the dark path of the Orcish Horde of the First and Second Wars. Their spies have infiltrated the orcs, and they seek to break them from within and to sew discord between the orcs, their various allies, and even strengthen their other foes (i.e. harpies and quilboar). The Shadow Council is encountered in Ragefire Chasm, Razorfen Kraul, and Demonfall Canyon.

Scourge: Patches of the Scourge are encountered throughout northern Kalimdor, but their most significant presence is on Darkshore and their necropolis of Ghastholme, which was their Kalimdor staging point in the Third War.

Sons of Daelin: Composed primarily of the remnant Tirasian forces of Daelin Proudmoore, the Sons of Daelin are the rebel Alliance faction of humans, dwarves, and high elves who refused to enter into a treaty with either the Horde or night elves. They are unknowingly being manipulated by Deathwing and the Black Dragonflight. The Sons of Daelin are encountered in the Alcaz Island, Theramore Stockade, Northwatch Hold, and Windshear Mines dungeons.

The Titans: The dwarves desire to uncover their ancient titanic heritage in these unexplored lands of Kalimdor. Lore of the titans is explored in Stonetalon Caverns, Uldawar, and Ahn'Qiraj.

The Wardens: Once the guardians of the sleeping druids and jailers of Illidan, the wardens have now become a rogue faction within the night elves. They believe that Malfurion and Tyrande Whisperwind have betrayed the night elves, and the presence of lesser races (i.e. playable non-night elf races) dilutes the strength and purity of the mighty Kaldorei. These night elves seek to regain their immortality, purge Ashenvale of the lesser races, and to topple the present night elf regime. They are encountered in the Barrow Dens, Barrow Deeps, and Dire Maul.

EXPANSION 1: THE DARK PORTAL
The focus of the first expansion would be the reopening of the Dark Portal and the disparate forces (Illidari, Burning Legion, the Hyjal Pact) attempting to secure the Azerothian continent. It would include the southern Azerothian continent and the Tomb of Sargeras. This expansion builds upon where many of the previous racial storylines left off.

Premise: The Dark Portal has once again been opened. The Hyjal Pact, composed of the Kalimdor Alliance, Kaldorei, and Horde have been called upon to aid the Kingdom of Azeroth and Gurubashi Empire from the forces of the Burning Legion and Illidari pouring forth from the Dark Portal. The mortal races of the world of Azeroth are now stuck in a conflict between the Illidari and the Burning Legion, who are both looking for ancient dangerous relics across the southern lands of Azeroth and the Broken Isles.

Expansion Race: Goblins.

Why are the races involved?
* Humans: The humans of Theramore have saved the lost diplomat, King Varian Wrynn of Azeroth, who came to plea for assistance against the forces coming forth from the Dark Portal. Now the forces of Theramore must help secure the fragile Kingdom of Azeroth to ensure that another nation does not fall to the Burning Legion. But Theramore also hopes to use Azeroth as a staging point for a future northward campaign to reclaim Lordaeron.
* Night Elves: The presence of Illidari forces have attracted the attention of the rogue Warden faction as well as the Kaldorei. The wardens look for signs of their leader Maiev, while the night elves hope to also stop Illidan and to take a more proactive stance against the Burning Legion.
* Orcs: The orcs of the Horde received troubling reports of fel orcs coming through the Dark Portal, a portal to their homeworld once thought lost. The orcs seek to learn more about their shattered and distant homeland, and more importantly, learn the fate of their people beyond the portal. Nevertheless the orcs in Azeroth must also revisit their sins from their earliest days in the world of Azeroth during the times of the First War. The Bronze Dragonflight seems strangely cooperative in helping the orcs explore their past. How will the orcs be greeted by the kingdom it once destroyed? Heroes or monsters worse than the fel legions assaulting their gates?
* Trolls: The threat of the Burning Legion spells trouble for the once mighty Gurubashi Empire of Stranglethorn, and the Gurubashi trolls are desperate to stay alive. It's up to Vol'jin to muster up his courage and swallow his vengeance to save the trolls responsible for the exile of his people.
* Dwarves: What archaeological wonders await in the deepest recesses of the Stranglethorn Forest and the Broken Isles?
* Tauren: Let's be honest. The tauren are going because they don't want to be left out. They would probably act as the orcs conscience. Tauren discover that their kind became extinct on the Azerothian continent.
* Goblins: The once neutral goblins of the Steamwheedle Cartel have been thrust into the conflict between the Illidari and Burning Legion and their search for forgotten relics. The now homeless Steamwheedle Cartel goblins have been gathered to Ratchet under Gazlowe's leadership.

Raids and Dungeons

Dungeons
* Nethergarde Violet Hold
* The Dark Portal
* The Sunken Temple
* Zul'Kunda
* The Dead Mines
* Stonewatch Hold
* Balor (Stormweaver Clan)
* Library of Izal-Shurah (Lady Naz'jar): A co-effort by dwarves and night elves to secure the ancient highborne library.
* Northshire Abbey
* Uldateklan (Southern Stranglethorn)
* Opening of the Dark Portal (CoT)
* The Fall of Stormwind (CoT): players take part on both sides of the siege in two phases

Raids
* Zul'Gurub (Hakkar)
* Temple of the Damned (Teron Gorefiend)
* Karazhan (Medivh): The time flux around the area causes the investigating players to go back in time for the original death of Medivh. By defeating Medivh, you return to your original time and secure the artifact within. I would hope this raid would be just as whimsical and classic as the original.
* The Siege of Stormwind: secure Stormwind from the assaulting Illidari forces.
* Tomb of Sargeras (Eye of Sargeras): Fight the Illidari forces attempting to secure the artifact within the tomb and the maddened demons within, along with other echoes of the past.
- Sub-Bosses: "Zombie Naisha," the dreadlord Mullioch, Spirit of Gul'dan

EXPANSION 2: THE BURNING CRUSADE

Premise: Although the Illidari and Burning Legion were successfully defeated in Azeroth, Illidan still managed to steal away with a dangerous artifact that he hopes to use to transform himself into a living god so that he can rival the powers of Kil'jaeden or even Sargeras. Now the forces of the Hyjal Pact must venture forth through the Dark Portal and take the fight to Illidan.

Expansion Race: Blood Elves

Last edited by Genesis; 05-08-2014 at 02:00 PM..
Old 09-08-2013, 01:29 AM

The Sun King

I like it. Reconquering the EK from the Scourge would be an interesting expansion on its own, with the dwarves getting back their "new" old capital, and gnomes joining the fight. What about the elves, would you have them join in a EK expansion, or a Draenor one?
Old 09-08-2013, 02:35 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
I like it. Reconquering the EK from the Scourge would be an interesting expansion on its own, with the dwarves getting back their "new" old capital, and gnomes joining the fight. What about the elves, would you have them join in a EK expansion, or a Draenor one?
Gnomes would probably be the expansion race for Khaz Modan/Azeroth, though it could possibly be split up as Azeroth and then Khaz Modan. Blood elves would probably be an expansion race for the Lordaeron/Quel'thalas expansion. I would admittedly be undecided about the Forsaken. They could be a villainous race that have to be conquered or they could be a playable race kicked out by Varimathras and who are trying to reclaim their territory. I don't really care either way. The overarching point is that I may have expanded more lore and gameplay with less geographic space and races, and then gradually expand across the world of Azeroth one step at a time.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:02 AM

The Sun King

The Forsaken might as well be an NPC faction. If you are rewriting WoW from the scratch and there is no new Great Lordaeroning, all we have about them is a group of Elven undead under Sylvanas who conquered the Capital City while betraying and killing the Alliance Grand Marshal, and whose prime "characteristic" is the ability to posses and control whole tribes to do their bidding (perhaps tying together the living things like bandits, trolls and ogres with the undead in one faction? I dunno, such a lineup could work both for the NPC faction and a secondary Lordaeronian villain if there is no Scarlet Crusade to boot).

Some noted that the Forsaken were made playable due to the need of an "undead playable faction" after transitioning from WC3... But I personally disagree. And even if were to make the Scourge thematics playable, we can always come back to the fact that those were taken from the Nerubians - a perfect add up for the Northrend expansion together with the Death Knight.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:07 AM

Demon Hunter

Would there be a main end-game antagonist on Kalimdor (and if so, what?), or would it be similar to current Vanilla in that you just battled a bunch of miscenallaneous enemies, or would the end-game involve racial tension, or something completely different?

I do like the general idea so far. It always miffed me a bit that the Theramore-Orgrimmar relations were never really explored, but this seems like it would pull it off.
The gnome, for example, could be impressed by the technology of a conqueror, the goblin by his riches, the elf by his respect for the arcane, the draenei by his moral integrity, the tauren by his calm authoritative bearing. But the orc, who is impressed by none of these things, must always be struck to the dust, and struck down again as he rises, and struck again as he lies groaning. ‘While his wounds still pain him he will respect the hand that dealt them’.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:59 AM

Elune

Like it so far, keep it coming.

I especially like that it tries to stay true to WCIII, what with wrecked EK and negligible presence of high elves.

But seriously, you gotta give us more, much more
Old 09-08-2013, 04:03 AM

The Sun King

You know, thinking about it, the high elves were actually a pretty big presence among both Theramore and Kul Tiras forces...
Old 09-08-2013, 04:21 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
You know, thinking about it, the high elves were actually a pretty big presence among both Theramore and Kul Tiras forces...
Which is why I prefer our pink hat and his version.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 09-08-2013, 09:56 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I like it, can't wait to read more.

What classes would remain in tact and for which races would they be playable?
Old 09-08-2013, 10:23 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

I'm curious as to what will happen with Stromgarde, Gilneas, and Alterac.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:09 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandred View Post
Would there be a main end-game antagonist on Kalimdor (and if so, what?), or would it be similar to current Vanilla in that you just battled a bunch of miscenallaneous enemies, or would the end-game involve racial tension, or something completely different?
One of the problems I had with World of Warcraft was that the fighting of the demonic forces (Burning Legion, Scourge) that invaded Kalimdor basically happened all off-screen in between Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft. Cleansing most of Ashenvale, Felwood, and Mount Hyjal has already happened when we arrive.

So I would have liked to deal with remnant of those forces as the primary antagonists. Perhaps some powerful dreadlord lieutenants of Archimonde who stayed in the area. There would still be mostly "a bunch of miscellaneous enemies," which would include native hostiles races (centaur, quilboar, etc.) and rogue forces increasing racial tension (Kul Tirasian survivors, Shadow Council, etc.). And since we are in Kalimdor at first, then C'thun remains a viable option for a raid villain in subsequent Vanilla patches.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
Which is why I prefer our pink hat and his version.
They could still be playable, but blood/high elves would probably not be playable until a Lordaeron/Quel'thalas expansion. The major benefit of this schema is that since there is no longer a two-faction system, we could just create a single high elf race, which could be used to make both high and blood elves (if we even want to preserve this WoW-made distinction).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I like it, can't wait to read more.

What classes would remain in tact and for which races would they be playable?
I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
I'm curious as to what will happen with Stromgarde, Gilneas, and Alterac.
As am I, as I don't know either. This proposal is primarily focused on the World of Warcraft launch setup and how the game can be subsequently expanded. I do not have all the plot points for future games or regions in mind.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:22 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Theramore yes. But with Daelin's Kul Tiras forces, weren't the elven units replaced with humans (chaplain instead of priest, hydromancer instead of sorceress)?

And in Frozen Throne, was it only just Kael'thas's group that were Blood Elves? Or did it apply to all of the Day Elves in the world?

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 09-08-2013 at 02:40 PM..
Old 09-08-2013, 02:26 PM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Theramore yes. But with Daelin's Kul Tiras forces, weren't the elven units replaced with humans (chaplain instead of priest, hyromancer instead of sorceror).
His forces definitely had sorceresses.

And the chaplain/apprentice mage model has been used for elven characters too anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
And in Frozen Throne, was it only just Kael'thas's group that were Blood Elves? Or did it apply to all of the Day Elves in the world?
I'm not sure about Kul Tiras's sorceresses, but the elven group in the first Arthas mission, led by a Sylvanas lookalike ranger? Definitely blood elves. The Tirisfal paladin resistance apparently didn't get the memo about genocide, probably having little to no contact with Garithos.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:18 PM

Guru of Gilneas

I added information on raids, dungeons, and plot lines.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:47 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
I added information on raids, dungeons, and plot lines.
Great stuff.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:07 PM

Guru of Gilneas

The Kalimdor map would probably be a cross between these two older maps:

I would make some additional alterations from both. Foremost would be making Nighthaven the night elf capital. I may even turn Kalidar into a land of the Scourge.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:03 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
The Kalimdor map would probably be a cross between these two older maps:

I would make some additional alterations from both. Foremost would be making Nighthaven the night elf capital. I may even turn Kalidar into a land of the Scourge.
Hah, I was just looking for a map like that. Now all I need is a compilation of all the fudgy maps from the warcraft 3 loading screens for references.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 11-24-2013, 09:10 PM

Elune

I must request a savage beastman race that isn't the boring, nomadic Tauren.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:17 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I must request a savage beastman race that isn't the boring, nomadic Tauren.
There were worgen in Ashenvale. It would not be that hard to incorporate them.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:02 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Added Expansion 1: The Dark Portal.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:15 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Now I've begun work on the second expansion: The Burning Crusade.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:02 PM

Elune

While I sorta prefer a faction game that's done right, I still really like what you wrote here.

I can just imagine Theramore being a lot larger and better looking as a city. It could have different districts that represent the multiple human kingdoms that are still staunchly loyal to the Alliance cause.

And humans and orcs being able to pick what kingdom or clan they hail from like how Humans and Charr can do so in GW2? Sign me up if that's on the table.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:00 AM

Elune

I like it, it has a very WCIII vibe. The dungeons you propose in this latest bit remind me of the world as it was in Rexxar's campaign, a lot more mysterious and alive than now.

Tags
fanwank, genesisisation, stromgarde n shit, wololo, world of warcraft