Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 04-07-2014, 11:31 AM

World Builder

Runes Horde Hunch Analysis HQ

-Title says it all-

Topic of the day, why has the orc hunch been such a huge topic of discussion but tauren / Forsaken / orc posture less so?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-07-2014, 11:34 AM

Banished

Pointless thread is pointless.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:38 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
Pointless thread is pointless.
So... let it fall off the screen?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-07-2014, 11:54 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
So... let it fall off the screen?
Or...don't post it in the first place?

Or...delete it?
Old 04-07-2014, 11:58 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
Or...don't post it in the first place?

Or...delete it?
Nope.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-07-2014, 12:28 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Hunches are great.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:42 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
Hunches are great.
I do wonder how an Ogre with a hunch would look.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-07-2014, 12:44 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

I have a hunch that this thread could go places.
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 04-07-2014, 12:47 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
Not gonna lie, this made me laugh.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-07-2014, 01:28 PM

Sentinel Queen

Probably because

* Forsaken hunch is based off the ghouls.

* Darkspear posture has some basis in the Shadow Hunter.

* Tauren aren't hunched, thats just how they're neck is positioned. Though the size of their hump could certainly be reduced.

Basically, while too exaggerated in WoW, they at least somewhat believable.

Meanwhile, the Orc hunch came from practically nowhere at all, and was added solely for PVP silhouettes.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:54 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Hunchies vs Posture! The game!
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 04-07-2014, 02:12 PM

Elune

My theory is that the vanilla orc model was originally only going to be used for peons. Human peasants have their own model too, remember? Then it became the every orc model later on and now the hunch is iconic. Whether it being iconic is a good or bad thing is up to the individual, but the iconic-ness is definitely present.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:42 PM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

I always believed why they gave them a hunch was to make them more "Monstrous". Sides I like the hunch but having hunchless Orcs would be cool too.

Now if they want to bring back a monster, redo the Troll Female models to resemble their Alpha models. Just kidding I like the way did Troll Females, Beautiful and kept that #Savage touch.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:17 PM

Keeper of the Grove

I actually think the Forsaken hunch and the tauren neck should be changed, but the orc hunch is more of a problem because they never had it before in any of the games and artwork, and because artwork keeps on depicting the orcs as straight-backed. The Forsaken at least had a precedent via the ghouls, while the tauren were designed as they are now, as little as I agree with that cursed "neck"...
Old 04-07-2014, 03:56 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
You will be among the first against the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
My theory is that the vanilla orc model was originally only going to be used for peons. Human peasants have their own model too, remember?
Not just the peasants. Human NPCs have about 30 different models, though only a few are seen in-game, and even then only rarely. The kids are obvious. After that, I think the pirate captain model gets the most use, I remember seeing the female thin merchant once (oddly, the thin female merchant is still kinda fat. Just not as fat as the fat one) and it looks like the female light warrior was the basis for the female vrykul. You can see the rest in the model viewer, though not all are complete (a lot are missing their left arm for some reason. they're still animated though).
My guess is that the original idea was to do the races more warcraft III/Redguard style, with a few standard models for each race which used standard skins rather than personalized armor. Basically, what they did for the quilboar and centaur. Unfortunately, that's a damn lot of work (even if you recycle the skeletons a lot, which they did), though the result'd be neat. I still find it a shame they don't use the human alternatives more often.
There's some cool ones I wish they'd use in-game though. Fat people, female peasant, lanky thieves and casters, the awesome female light warrior which just begs to be given a bow and turned into an army of rangers, sailors with 3d clothing and a fat wizard. The female blacksmith can go die in a fire though. Blacksmithing in a miniskirt with open belly? That's just silly.

Anyway, you can see that they did indeed get started on doing this for other races as well, just never got far. However, the orc peon is not among those. You've got a blackrock merchant, a blackrock light warrior, a green-skinned blademaster (which doesn't seem to be finished) and the two kids. Unlike the humans, the adult orcs all have the same stature, which is the hunch. So the hunch doesn't seem to come from us being peons. Going by the finished models (and no hunch on the kid), it's possible the hunch comes from us being blackrocks though.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:16 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
There's some cool ones I wish they'd use in-game though. Fat people, female peasant, lanky thieves and casters, the awesome female light warrior which just begs to be given a bow and turned into an army of rangers, sailors with 3d clothing and a fat wizard. The female blacksmith can go die in a fire though. Blacksmithing in a miniskirt with open belly? That's just silly.
They used a lot of these in Old Hillsbrad (CoT), for some reason. Southshore has the fat guys, girls and thin lanky farmer types. There is a traveling Dalaran mage with the caster model, too.

They add a lot of flavour, though I understand why the concept was scrapped.

I've never seen any of the Orc ones, though.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:33 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagan View Post
They used a lot of these in Old Hillsbrad (CoT), for some reason. Southshore has the fat guys, girls and thin lanky farmer types. There is a traveling Dalaran mage with the caster model, too.

They add a lot of flavour, though I understand why the concept was scrapped.
Sadness, but understandable. I wish they used the existing ones more though.

And I completely forgot about the CoT!

Quote:
I've never seen any of the Orc ones, though.
You wouldn't recognize any of the orc ones. They really are just the player model with slightly (and I do mean slightly. I'm not even sure, so slight.) less bulky shoulders, and integrated armor pieces that are normally available.

Tags
derp, horde bias