Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which (if any) would you identify as personally?
Anarchist 5 15.15%
Conservative 12 36.36%
Environmentalist 16 48.48%
Feminist 11 33.33%
Humanist 18 54.55%
Internationalist 8 24.24%
Liberal 14 42.42%
Monarchist 7 21.21%
Nationalist 12 36.36%
Pacifist 4 12.12%
Radical 4 12.12%
Theist 6 18.18%
Transhumanist (Omacron ) 9 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 09-15-2015, 09:45 AM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Not Sure If Trolling...
Slowpokeking's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,002

Default

Beauty, Power, Peace and Order.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 09-15-2015, 09:52 AM
Commander Rotal Commander Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Commander Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,095

Default

This thread is going places. And they're all awful.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 09-15-2015, 09:52 AM
HlaaluStyle HlaaluStyle is offline

Elune
HlaaluStyle's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tradegate, the Outlands
Posts: 12,465
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Aren't you Japanese/European (American)?
Yeah.

I don't even have that much awareness of Japanese culture (I don't speak the language, I don't do martial arts, and I watch less anime than most people on this board).

Ethnic nationalism strikes me as extremely questionable, since it assumes that all individuals within a group will be fundamentally similar. This is obviously untrue, and it gets on even shakier ground when groups mingle (as groups tend to do).

The sort of nationalism for which I advocate basically involves dedication to the ideals of the United States, as outlined in the US Constitution. Ethnic nationalism is antithetical to this concept. Now, I know TaintedMage is Canadian, but he didn't specify whether or not he was referring to just Canada, or to the rest of the world. Even so, Canada's pretty similar to the US in that it's not as ethnically based as is, say, South Korea or Sweden.
__________________
See WoW in a way you've never imagined it.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 09-15-2015, 09:53 AM
miffy23 miffy23 is offline

Elune
miffy23's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 10,096
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
This thread is going places. And they're all awful.
I see you picked up a chick, finally.
__________________
El. Psy. Congroo.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 09-15-2015, 09:53 AM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,686
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Self hating liberal centralist who hates everyone but wants equality.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 09-15-2015, 09:56 AM
Commander Rotal Commander Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Commander Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,095

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
I see you picked up a chick, finally.
His name is His Grace His Excellency, The Duke of Bird, Lord Sir Scott Mirdalan Vogel von Wayne. Or Lord Mirdalan for short.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 09-15-2015, 10:02 AM
Mertico Mertico is offline

Elune
Mertico's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 7,261

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
Yeah.

I don't even have that much awareness of Japanese culture (I don't speak the language, I don't do martial arts, and I watch less anime than most people on this board).

Ethnic nationalism strikes me as extremely questionable, since it assumes that all individuals within a group will be fundamentally similar. This is obviously untrue, and it gets on even shakier ground when groups mingle (as groups tend to do).

The sort of nationalism for which I advocate basically involves dedication to the ideals of the United States, as outlined in the US Constitution. Ethnic nationalism is antithetical to this concept. Now, I know TaintedMage is Canadian, but he didn't specify whether or not he was referring to just Canada, or to the rest of the world. Even so, Canada's pretty similar to the US in that it's not as ethnically based as is, say, South Korea or Sweden.
Ethnic nationalism muddies the water and makes expanding your country harder. If all ethnic Mongols invade Siberia to expand they either have to assimilate or kill off the ethnic Siberians.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 09-15-2015, 10:18 AM
Ragnahar Ragnahar is offline

Poor Soldier
Ragnahar's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 12,430
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
What is a world citizen anyways? What do they do for humanity that different than your average person?
Something like this. I'll never get tired of posting it.

__________________
Game over, man. Game over.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 09-15-2015, 10:19 AM
HlaaluStyle HlaaluStyle is offline

Elune
HlaaluStyle's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tradegate, the Outlands
Posts: 12,465
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Ethnic nationalism muddies the water and makes expanding your country harder. If all ethnic Mongols invade Siberia to expand they either have to assimilate or kill off the ethnic Siberians.
Yeah, and populations tend to be more mingled than most people would like to admit. Ethnic exclusion tends to bubble up over time, as can be seen in Turkey and Mali (with the Tuareg rebellion that got co-opted by Islamists).

It is pretty telling that there are major disagreements and rifts within the categories posted.
__________________
See WoW in a way you've never imagined it.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 09-15-2015, 10:59 AM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
Something like this. I'll never get tired of posting it.
Humanity is very varied. I want to help the victims of ISIS, Assad, and Putin but those perpetraters are part of humanity and the globe.

My knee jerk assumption is that people say that because think any sort of patriotism is evil.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 09-15-2015, 11:56 AM
Gurzog Gurzog is offline

Banished
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14,056
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Default

the swedish king is the only reason for me to be proud to be from sweden..

he also looks like my dads father.

Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 09-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Taintedmage Taintedmage is offline

Eternal
Taintedmage's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,808

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
I missed this the first time around.

You say "shared culture and ancestry", and I'm pretty well-integrated into American culture. Ancestry isn't really relevant, and I'm frankly suspicious of people who think that it matters.
Oh I don't blame you.
That's my more skeptical and "far right" side and sometimes I do sit down and seriously debate whether some of my views are racist or not. As I've said, I've pretty much given up on most ideas about integration beyond limited immigration and perhaps similar cultures.

The thing you have to remember about America, Canada, and Australia however is that their native inhabitants are now a tiny minority reduced to basically living on reservations, a rather sad state.

Countries such as these don't really work for any type of ethnic nationalism at all what with everyone but the natives being an immigrant (Yes I know they crossed over during the Ice Age).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle

Yeah.

I don't even have that much awareness of Japanese culture (I don't speak the language, I don't do martial arts, and I watch less anime than most people on this board).

Ethnic nationalism strikes me as extremely questionable, since it assumes that all individuals within a group will be fundamentally similar. This is obviously untrue, and it gets on even shakier ground when groups mingle (as groups tend to do).

The sort of nationalism for which I advocate basically involves dedication to the ideals of the United States, as outlined in the US Constitution. Ethnic nationalism is antithetical to this concept. Now, I know TaintedMage is Canadian, but he didn't specify whether or not he was referring to just Canada, or to the rest of the world. Even so, Canada's pretty similar to the US in that it's not as ethnically based as is, say, South Korea or Sweden.
I usually take the argument that people will be socialized differently or experience different phenomena depending on the group which they are born into. A black kid from the US will have different experiences and be socialized in a different way than someone who is South Korean in Seoul. Depending on how well preserved their traditions are and their socialization is a South Korean who grows up in Canada may be similar or completely different from a South Korean from Korea. Since I've grown highly skeptical of integration period I usually lean toward the belief that, when given the opportunity people will segregate themselves. The only way of really being able to avoid that is to make it socially impossible to segregate themselves by heavily restricting immigration so that it gets rid of the opportunity.

Despite being Canadian, I'm not even referring to Canada believe it or not.
I care not for Canada, America, Australia, or New Zealand as they aren't Europe.

I tend to hold the idea of Europe for Europeans and that Europe is and should remain the cultural, historical, and traditional homeland of Europeans.

That's about as far as my nationalism really extends and it's why I tend to be more concerned about European issues (especially UK ones though) then any type of Canadian issue (unless it directly affects my livelihood).
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 09-15-2015, 12:10 PM
HlaaluStyle HlaaluStyle is offline

Elune
HlaaluStyle's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tradegate, the Outlands
Posts: 12,465
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taintedmage View Post

I usually take the argument that people will be socialized differently or experience different phenomena depending on the group which they are born into. A black kid from the US will have different experiences and be socialized in a different way than someone who is South Korean in Seoul. Depending on how well preserved their traditions are and their socialization is a South Korean who grows up in Canada may be similar or completely different from a South Korean from Korea. Since I've grown highly skeptical of integration period I usually lean toward the belief that, when given the opportunity people will segregate themselves. The only way of really being able to avoid that is to make it socially impossible to segregate themselves by heavily restricting immigration so that it gets rid of the opportunity.
Growing up in an immigrant community is quite different from growing up in the country of one's parents' origin. As an immigrant, you're surrounded by different influences. Even the original cultural influences get filtered and changed.

As you go through life, you'll inevitably meet and interact with people from other groups. This becomes more pronounced in future generations. The US' institutions gradually wear down distinct cultural identity, provided they are given time to do so. Mingling is pretty common. There are a lot of part-Hispanics in my area.
__________________
See WoW in a way you've never imagined it.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 09-15-2015, 12:30 PM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,123

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taintedmage View Post
The thing you have to remember about America, Canada, and Australia however is that their native inhabitants are now a tiny minority reduced to basically living on reservations, a rather sad state.
Living on a reservation is optional, of course.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 09-15-2015, 01:03 PM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,903

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
What does 'conservatism' mean to you? And wouldn't radicalism be at odds with that conservatism?

And do you agree that a secular government -where the state has no say in matters or religion and vice-verse- is the best protection of the freedom of religion?
Conservatism means the opposite of progressivism - the lewd march toward complete moral decay and destruction of the establishments that America was founded upon and made the country great for 200 years. I would conserve the ideals of a constitutional, small-government society that embraced Judeo-Christian values, and I would employ radical means to that end.

Government getting more secular is not protecting my religion at all - it's destroying it. I cannot practice my religion now without government telling me it is wrong to do so. If I deny service to sodomites, my private business is sued out of existence with the government's blessing. Tell me how that protects my religious freedom.

Christianity is openly derided and in some cases outright persecuted in America today, and, yes, I think we are approaching the tipping point where a truly radical response will be necessary.
__________________
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 09-15-2015, 01:07 PM
Ragnahar Ragnahar is offline

Poor Soldier
Ragnahar's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 12,430
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Living on a reservation is optional, of course.
I mean, its not like they are forced to stay there or anything. A better way of saying it is reduced in number but with even more privilege than every other citizen. At least in the U.S. anyway.
__________________
Game over, man. Game over.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 09-15-2015, 01:47 PM
Mertico Mertico is offline

Elune
Mertico's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 7,261

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
Yeah, and populations tend to be more mingled than most people would like to admit. Ethnic exclusion tends to bubble up over time, as can be seen in Turkey and Mali (with the Tuareg rebellion that got co-opted by Islamists).

It is pretty telling that there are major disagreements and rifts within the categories posted.
I'm a Western Nationalist so Islam is a major no-no for me.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 09-15-2015, 02:00 PM
miffy23 miffy23 is offline

Elune
miffy23's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 10,096
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Conservatism means the opposite of progressivism - the lewd march toward complete moral decay and destruction of the establishments that America was founded upon and made the country great for 200 years. I would conserve the ideals of a constitutional, small-government society that embraced Judeo-Christian values, and I would employ radical means to that end.

Government getting more secular is not protecting my religion at all - it's destroying it. I cannot practice my religion now without government telling me it is wrong to do so. If I deny service to sodomites, my private business is sued out of existence with the government's blessing. Tell me how that protects my religious freedom.

Christianity is openly derided and in some cases outright persecuted in America today, and, yes, I think we are approaching the tipping point where a truly radical response will be necessary.
You're like my personal trigger, made specifically just for me.
__________________
El. Psy. Congroo.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 09-15-2015, 02:03 PM
Ma Caque Attaque Ma Caque Attaque is offline

Elune
Ma Caque Attaque's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In your mind
Posts: 12,687

Default

Oh Shaman, you sweet, sweet summer child.

What have you unleashed?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 09-15-2015, 02:06 PM
Shroombie Shroombie is offline

Eternal
Shroombie's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,262

Default

People just shouldn't be dicks, that's all. If everyone got laid regularly and had easy access to the essentials of life, there'd be world peace.
__________________
...Place loses all significance...
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 09-15-2015, 02:06 PM
Frostwolf Frostwolf is offline

Elune
Frostwolf's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,433

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Conservatism means the opposite of progressivism - the lewd march toward complete moral decay and destruction of the establishments that America was founded upon and made the country great for 200 years. I would conserve the ideals of a constitutional, small-government society that embraced Judeo-Christian values, and I would employ radical means to that end.

Government getting more secular is not protecting my religion at all - it's destroying it. I cannot practice my religion now without government telling me it is wrong to do so. If I deny service to sodomites, my private business is sued out of existence with the government's blessing. Tell me how that protects my religious freedom.

Christianity is openly derided and in some cases outright persecuted in America today, and, yes, I think we are approaching the tipping point where a truly radical response will be necessary.
Agreed 100%
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 09-15-2015, 02:19 PM
Taintedmage Taintedmage is offline

Eternal
Taintedmage's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,808

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
I'm a Western Nationalist so Islam is a major no-no for me.
Speaking of which, I never quite cared for "Religious Nationalism" (yet another form of Nationalism to add to the list).

It's too heavily reliant upon assumptions of truth.

I prefer to argue on logic and rationale as opposed to faith. I might be an ethnic nationalist to an extent but I don't create laws because of some "holy" book, it's to be done on reason.

I'm also not really the bloody type and have never really liked war.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 09-15-2015, 02:23 PM
Commander Rotal Commander Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Commander Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,095

Default Sunlight found him squatting in the gym...

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
You're like my personal trigger, made specifically just for me.
I think SoL as a whole has broken my trigger. I just... blend the offensiveness out and enjoy the squatting puns.

Which reminds me of how disturbingly full of black bars my way to home is because of all the Strache posters i need to ignore. FFS just let them win next time so that these viennese idiots get a reminder of why you don't vote FP?; Re-election within a year guaranteed. Apparently they need that every other election. Goddamn idiots. I hate this country so much.


Daddy Bolvar, you need a farmhand?
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 09-15-2015, 02:32 PM
Mertico Mertico is offline

Elune
Mertico's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 7,261

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Conservatism means the opposite of progressivism - the lewd march toward complete moral decay and destruction of the establishments that America was founded upon and made the country great for 200 years. I would conserve the ideals of a constitutional, small-government society that embraced Judeo-Christian values, and I would employ radical means to that end.
I hold issue with the phrase "Judeo-Christian" which didn't come into being until the early 1800s. While Jews and Christians share the Old Testament or the Torah as the basis for their religions there is a major difference. Modern Judaism is Rabbinic Judaism where the primary book is the Talmud and the primary leaders are the rabbi. Jesus himself was from Galilee. The United Kingdom of Israel was broken into two parts, it was the southern half, the Kingdom of Judah is where the word Jew (Judeo) comes form. Galilee was in the northern part of the Kingdom and it remained in the Kingdom of Israel/Samaria (with its capital being in Samaria). Both were eventually conquered by the Assyrians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taintedmage View Post
Speaking of which, I never quite cared for "Religious Nationalism" (yet another form of Nationalism to add to the list).

It's too heavily reliant upon assumptions of truth.

I prefer to argue on logic and rationale as opposed to faith. I might be an ethnic nationalist to an extent but I don't create laws because of some "holy" book, it's to be done on reason.

I'm also not really the bloody type and have never really liked war.
By Western Nationalist, I mean the idea that the only way forward is for the US and Europe to form one country (with a few others thrown in, but I'm keeping it short).
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 09-15-2015, 02:51 PM
miffy23 miffy23 is offline

Elune
miffy23's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 10,096
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
I think SoL as a whole has broken my trigger. I just... blend the offensiveness out and enjoy the squatting puns.

Which reminds me of how disturbingly full of black bars my way to home is because of all the Strache posters i need to ignore. FFS just let them win next time so that these viennese idiots get a reminder of why you don't vote FP?; Re-election within a year guaranteed. Apparently they need that every other election. Goddamn idiots. I hate this country so much.


Daddy Bolvar, you need a farmhand?
On the plus side we have the surge of helpful people involved in the relief efforts for the refugees. Those people are, thankfully, the majority.
__________________
El. Psy. Congroo.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
damnit nazja, don't label me bro, eye of kilrog, labels, politics, survey

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.