Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which (if any) would you identify as personally?
Anarchist 5 15.15%
Conservative 12 36.36%
Environmentalist 16 48.48%
Feminist 11 33.33%
Humanist 18 54.55%
Internationalist 8 24.24%
Liberal 14 42.42%
Monarchist 7 21.21%
Nationalist 12 36.36%
Pacifist 4 12.12%
Radical 4 12.12%
Theist 6 18.18%
Transhumanist (Omacron ) 9 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2015, 09:45 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Beauty, Power, Peace and Order.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:52 AM

Sha of Disappointment

This thread is going places. And they're all awful.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:52 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Aren't you Japanese/European (American)?
Yeah.

I don't even have that much awareness of Japanese culture (I don't speak the language, I don't do martial arts, and I watch less anime than most people on this board).

Ethnic nationalism strikes me as extremely questionable, since it assumes that all individuals within a group will be fundamentally similar. This is obviously untrue, and it gets on even shakier ground when groups mingle (as groups tend to do).

The sort of nationalism for which I advocate basically involves dedication to the ideals of the United States, as outlined in the US Constitution. Ethnic nationalism is antithetical to this concept. Now, I know TaintedMage is Canadian, but he didn't specify whether or not he was referring to just Canada, or to the rest of the world. Even so, Canada's pretty similar to the US in that it's not as ethnically based as is, say, South Korea or Sweden.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 09-15-2015, 09:53 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
This thread is going places. And they're all awful.
I see you picked up a chick, finally.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:53 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Self hating liberal centralist who hates everyone but wants equality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:56 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
I see you picked up a chick, finally.
His name is His Grace His Excellency, The Duke of Bird, Lord Sir Scott Mirdalan Vogel von Wayne. Or Lord Mirdalan for short.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:02 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
Yeah.

I don't even have that much awareness of Japanese culture (I don't speak the language, I don't do martial arts, and I watch less anime than most people on this board).

Ethnic nationalism strikes me as extremely questionable, since it assumes that all individuals within a group will be fundamentally similar. This is obviously untrue, and it gets on even shakier ground when groups mingle (as groups tend to do).

The sort of nationalism for which I advocate basically involves dedication to the ideals of the United States, as outlined in the US Constitution. Ethnic nationalism is antithetical to this concept. Now, I know TaintedMage is Canadian, but he didn't specify whether or not he was referring to just Canada, or to the rest of the world. Even so, Canada's pretty similar to the US in that it's not as ethnically based as is, say, South Korea or Sweden.
Ethnic nationalism muddies the water and makes expanding your country harder. If all ethnic Mongols invade Siberia to expand they either have to assimilate or kill off the ethnic Siberians.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:18 AM

Poor Soldier
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
What is a world citizen anyways? What do they do for humanity that different than your average person?
Something like this. I'll never get tired of posting it.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:19 AM

Elune

Quote:
Ethnic nationalism muddies the water and makes expanding your country harder. If all ethnic Mongols invade Siberia to expand they either have to assimilate or kill off the ethnic Siberians.
Yeah, and populations tend to be more mingled than most people would like to admit. Ethnic exclusion tends to bubble up over time, as can be seen in Turkey and Mali (with the Tuareg rebellion that got co-opted by Islamists).

It is pretty telling that there are major disagreements and rifts within the categories posted.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 09-15-2015, 10:59 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
Something like this. I'll never get tired of posting it.
Humanity is very varied. I want to help the victims of ISIS, Assad, and Putin but those perpetraters are part of humanity and the globe.

My knee jerk assumption is that people say that because think any sort of patriotism is evil.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:56 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

the swedish king is the only reason for me to be proud to be from sweden..

he also looks like my dads father.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:58 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I missed this the first time around.

You say "shared culture and ancestry", and I'm pretty well-integrated into American culture. Ancestry isn't really relevant, and I'm frankly suspicious of people who think that it matters.
Oh I don't blame you.
That's my more skeptical and "far right" side and sometimes I do sit down and seriously debate whether some of my views are racist or not. As I've said, I've pretty much given up on most ideas about integration beyond limited immigration and perhaps similar cultures.

The thing you have to remember about America, Canada, and Australia however is that their native inhabitants are now a tiny minority reduced to basically living on reservations, a rather sad state.

Countries such as these don't really work for any type of ethnic nationalism at all what with everyone but the natives being an immigrant (Yes I know they crossed over during the Ice Age).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle

Yeah.

I usually take the argument that people will be socialized differently or experience different phenomena depending on the group which they are born into. A black kid from the US will have different experiences and be socialized in a different way than someone who is South Korean in Seoul. Depending on how well preserved their traditions are and their socialization is a South Korean who grows up in Canada may be similar or completely different from a South Korean from Korea. Since I've grown highly skeptical of integration period I usually lean toward the belief that, when given the opportunity people will segregate themselves. The only way of really being able to avoid that is to make it socially impossible to segregate themselves by heavily restricting immigration so that it gets rid of the opportunity.

Despite being Canadian, I'm not even referring to Canada believe it or not.
I care not for Canada, America, Australia, or New Zealand as they aren't Europe.

I tend to hold the idea of Europe for Europeans and that Europe is and should remain the cultural, historical, and traditional homeland of Europeans.

That's about as far as my nationalism really extends and it's why I tend to be more concerned about European issues (especially UK ones though) then any type of Canadian issue (unless it directly affects my livelihood).
Old 09-15-2015, 12:10 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taintedmage View Post

I usually take the argument that people will be socialized differently or experience different phenomena depending on the group which they are born into. A black kid from the US will have different experiences and be socialized in a different way than someone who is South Korean in Seoul. Depending on how well preserved their traditions are and their socialization is a South Korean who grows up in Canada may be similar or completely different from a South Korean from Korea. Since I've grown highly skeptical of integration period I usually lean toward the belief that, when given the opportunity people will segregate themselves. The only way of really being able to avoid that is to make it socially impossible to segregate themselves by heavily restricting immigration so that it gets rid of the opportunity.
Growing up in an immigrant community is quite different from growing up in the country of one's parents' origin. As an immigrant, you're surrounded by different influences. Even the original cultural influences get filtered and changed.

As you go through life, you'll inevitably meet and interact with people from other groups. This becomes more pronounced in future generations. The US' institutions gradually wear down distinct cultural identity, provided they are given time to do so. Mingling is pretty common. There are a lot of part-Hispanics in my area.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:30 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
The thing you have to remember about America, Canada, and Australia however is that their native inhabitants are now a tiny minority reduced to basically living on reservations, a rather sad state.
Living on a reservation is optional, of course.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:03 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
What does 'conservatism' mean to you? And wouldn't radicalism be at odds with that conservatism?

And do you agree that a secular government -where the state has no say in matters or religion and vice-verse- is the best protection of the freedom of religion?
Conservatism means the opposite of progressivism - the lewd march toward complete moral decay and destruction of the establishments that America was founded upon and made the country great for 200 years. I would conserve the ideals of a constitutional, small-government society that embraced Judeo-Christian values, and I would employ radical means to that end.

Government getting more secular is not protecting my religion at all - it's destroying it. I cannot practice my religion now without government telling me it is wrong to do so. If I deny service to sodomites, my private business is sued out of existence with the government's blessing. Tell me how that protects my religious freedom.

Christianity is openly derided and in some cases outright persecuted in America today, and, yes, I think we are approaching the tipping point where a truly radical response will be necessary.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:07 PM

Poor Soldier
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Living on a reservation is optional, of course.
I mean, its not like they are forced to stay there or anything. A better way of saying it is reduced in number but with even more privilege than every other citizen. At least in the U.S. anyway.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:47 PM

Elune

Quote:
Yeah, and populations tend to be more mingled than most people would like to admit. Ethnic exclusion tends to bubble up over time, as can be seen in Turkey and Mali (with the Tuareg rebellion that got co-opted by Islamists).

It is pretty telling that there are major disagreements and rifts within the categories posted.
I'm a Western Nationalist so Islam is a major no-no for me.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:00 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Conservatism means the opposite of progressivism - the lewd march toward complete moral decay and destruction of the establishments that America was founded upon and made the country great for 200 years. I would conserve the ideals of a constitutional, small-government society that embraced Judeo-Christian values, and I would employ radical means to that end.

Government getting more secular is not protecting my religion at all - it's destroying it. I cannot practice my religion now without government telling me it is wrong to do so. If I deny service to sodomites, my private business is sued out of existence with the government's blessing. Tell me how that protects my religious freedom.

Christianity is openly derided and in some cases outright persecuted in America today, and, yes, I think we are approaching the tipping point where a truly radical response will be necessary.
You're like my personal trigger, made specifically just for me.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:03 PM

Elune

Oh Shaman, you sweet, sweet summer child.

What have you unleashed?
Old 09-15-2015, 02:06 PM

Eternal

People just shouldn't be dicks, that's all. If everyone got laid regularly and had easy access to the essentials of life, there'd be world peace.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:06 PM

Elune

Quote:

Agreed 100%
Old 09-15-2015, 02:19 PM

Eternal

Quote:
I'm a Western Nationalist so Islam is a major no-no for me.
Speaking of which, I never quite cared for "Religious Nationalism" (yet another form of Nationalism to add to the list).

It's too heavily reliant upon assumptions of truth.

I prefer to argue on logic and rationale as opposed to faith. I might be an ethnic nationalist to an extent but I don't create laws because of some "holy" book, it's to be done on reason.

I'm also not really the bloody type and have never really liked war.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:23 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Default Sunlight found him squatting in the gym...

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
You're like my personal trigger, made specifically just for me.
I think SoL as a whole has broken my trigger. I just... blend the offensiveness out and enjoy the squatting puns.

Which reminds me of how disturbingly full of black bars my way to home is because of all the Strache posters i need to ignore. FFS just let them win next time so that these viennese idiots get a reminder of why you don't vote FP?; Re-election within a year guaranteed. Apparently they need that every other election. Goddamn idiots. I hate this country so much.

Daddy Bolvar, you need a farmhand?
Old 09-15-2015, 02:32 PM

Elune

Quote:
I hold issue with the phrase "Judeo-Christian" which didn't come into being until the early 1800s. While Jews and Christians share the Old Testament or the Torah as the basis for their religions there is a major difference. Modern Judaism is Rabbinic Judaism where the primary book is the Talmud and the primary leaders are the rabbi. Jesus himself was from Galilee. The United Kingdom of Israel was broken into two parts, it was the southern half, the Kingdom of Judah is where the word Jew (Judeo) comes form. Galilee was in the northern part of the Kingdom and it remained in the Kingdom of Israel/Samaria (with its capital being in Samaria). Both were eventually conquered by the Assyrians.

Quote:
Speaking of which, I never quite cared for "Religious Nationalism" (yet another form of Nationalism to add to the list).

It's too heavily reliant upon assumptions of truth.

I prefer to argue on logic and rationale as opposed to faith. I might be an ethnic nationalist to an extent but I don't create laws because of some "holy" book, it's to be done on reason.

I'm also not really the bloody type and have never really liked war.
By Western Nationalist, I mean the idea that the only way forward is for the US and Europe to form one country (with a few others thrown in, but I'm keeping it short).
Old 09-15-2015, 02:51 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
I think SoL as a whole has broken my trigger. I just... blend the offensiveness out and enjoy the squatting puns.

Which reminds me of how disturbingly full of black bars my way to home is because of all the Strache posters i need to ignore. FFS just let them win next time so that these viennese idiots get a reminder of why you don't vote FP?; Re-election within a year guaranteed. Apparently they need that every other election. Goddamn idiots. I hate this country so much.

Daddy Bolvar, you need a farmhand?
On the plus side we have the surge of helpful people involved in the relief efforts for the refugees. Those people are, thankfully, the majority.

Tags
damnit nazja, don't label me bro, eye of kilrog, labels, politics, survey