Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2016, 09:11 AM

Elune

Orb of Slow Obsidian's Tyranny

Quote:
Sometimes, Evil wins.

Tyranny is a Dark Fantasy Role-Playing Game, developed by Obsidian Entertainment and published by Paradox Interactive. It uses the same engine as Pillars of Eternity. It was released on November 10, 2016.

The game is set in a world where a grand conflict between good and evil resulted in victory for evil. The world is now ruled by the overlord Kyros, and the player takes the role of an enforcer of this regime's "justice" — a Fatebinder, to be specific. It's up to players what they do with the power given to them.
So I've noticed pretty much zero hype and little in the way of any real marketing for this game. With that said, i was the second most purchased game on Steam (behind Dishonoured 2 obviously) so they must be doing something right I suppose. One thing that I think is going to turn a lot of people off is the timed mechanic. It's a lot like Dead Rising 1's where time is gradually ticking down as your characters move between regions and if you've not completed Kyros (the Overlord's) orders by then, it ends. I noticed they didn't really advertise this, despite it being a key mechanic and probably for that reason as well. I like it, but I foresee a lot of complaints (like with Dead Rising). It's really, really obvious they have replayability in mind for this game given how vastly different the world is depending on your actions in the prologue.

One thing that immediately made me smile was the set-up that you're sent in to deal with the plucky, (seemingly) lawful good, righteous rebels who are trying to unite and overthrow the shackles of the evil empire.

To start off with, I went Soldier -> Sword/Shield -> War Mace -> Pro-Disfavoured. I've only just read Kyros' Edict but thus far I'm easily finding myself siding with the Disfavoured. There's something about the Scarlet Chorus' LOLSORANDUM MUH SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST demeanour that comes across as obnoxious at best, or utterly moronic at worst but then I guess they were the stand-in for the Chaotic Evil Monster Horde trope. Plus I like how the Disfavoured Archon genuinely gives a damn about his troops beyond just pragmatism.

Last edited by Drusus; 11-11-2016 at 02:46 PM..
Old 11-11-2016, 10:23 AM

Elune

Excellent.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:51 AM

Arch-Druid

How's magic?
Am I fucked till I get a high level?
Should I just build a cleric and be an OP piece of shit for the entire game?
Old 11-11-2016, 02:45 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltongue View Post
How's magic?
Am I fucked till I get a high level?
Should I just build a cleric and be an OP piece of shit for the entire game?
I've not tried magic much, but glancing at a few forum threads people do seem to be complaining that it's pretty 'meh'. You get a healing companion pretty early on at least.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:01 PM

Elune

To be honest, I don't think ive ever played a CRPG.. I should do that
Old 11-11-2016, 03:12 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
I've not tried magic much, but glancing at a few forum threads people do seem to be complaining that it's pretty 'meh'. You get a healing companion pretty early on at least.
It's Obsidian and they're faithful to systems hating magic :I
Will give it a look anyway, thanks for the bump.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:47 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Not even Planescape: Torment? You haven't lived, my friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:20 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Not even Planescape: Torment? You haven't lived, my friend.
Nope.. I'm told I need to..
Old 11-11-2016, 04:28 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
You ought to.

@Drusus How combat-heavy is this game? Combat in Infinity Engine-style games just drives me up the wall. The only reason I got through Planescape: Torment was because there was so little combat. It's why I couldn't get into Pillars of Eternity, which otherwise seemed like a good game.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 11-11-2016, 07:16 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
If you ever read a Neil Gaiman book and you liked it, Planescape Torment will be your How to kill a Mockingbird /The Unbearable Lightness of Being. I for once agree with the idiot god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
@Drusus How combat-heavy is this game? Combat in Infinity Engine-style games just drives me up the wall. The only reason I got through Planescape: Torment was because there was so little combat. It's why I couldn't get into Pillars of Eternity, which otherwise seemed like a good game.
This is exactly what lead me to my previous questions.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:17 PM

Elune

Quote:
Wait, you've played Morrowind. We were making fun of n'wahs a while ago, remember?

Or do you not consider that a CRPG?

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 11-11-2016, 09:47 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Wait, you've played Morrowind. We were making fun of n'wahs a while ago, remember?

It had an xbox port.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:11 AM

Elune

Quote:
I'm only half way through Act 1 so I don't know how much this will stand up. Right now, there's a fair bit of combat but there's a fair few places you can opt to diplomatically avoid it. All of the factions - including the enemies - have a Favour/Wrath reputation you can raise (or worsen) and if you're consistently diplomatic they'll even stop attacking you, since you've made an effort to broker peace and such and you're fighting against the Good Guys.

There's also a Story Mode difficulty that makes combat a cake walk of setting your Companion's AI loose and just streamrolling every encounter so you can get to the good bits.

Last edited by Drusus; 11-12-2016 at 07:18 AM..
Old 11-12-2016, 10:25 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
I'm only half way through Act 1 so I don't know how much this will stand up. Right now, there's a fair bit of combat but there's a fair few places you can opt to diplomatically avoid it. All of the factions - including the enemies - have a Favour/Wrath reputation you can raise (or worsen) and if you're consistently diplomatic they'll even stop attacking you, since you've made an effort to broker peace and such and you're fighting against the Good Guys.

There's also a Story Mode difficulty that makes combat a cake walk of setting your Companion's AI loose and just streamrolling every encounter so you can get to the good bits.
Thank you.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:53 PM

Elune

Quote:

Top down, ala baldurs gate.

Also who the fuck plays morrowind on xbox?
Old 11-12-2016, 01:25 PM

Elune

Quote:
Top down, ala baldurs gate.

Also who the fuck plays morrowind on xbox?
N'wahs.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:58 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

I totally called Ashe's daughter having sexy times with her captors, all the way back when we heard about how she was trapped inside the storm with them.

I'm not sure why everyone keeps expecting me to feel bad about killing their friends. I'm a goddamn executioner, for Kyros' sake. If you don't want to be executed for treason, don't commit treason! Come on, people!

Re: Archons on Trial: I mean... Even as early as Act 1 it was clear who the traitor was, right? Nerat was clearly feeding Ashe misinformation and allowing traitors to run free. Hell, one of his green texts even admitted to helping the Vendrien Guard back when you're debating which Archon to help.

So I can't help raising an eyebrow when all the evidence gathered against Ashe and Nerat amounts, respectively, to "this guy is obviously losing his touch and should be replaced with a more capable commander" and "this guy is blatantly betraying the peace of Kyros and sabotaging the war effort at every turn." Is there even supposed to be a question here?

For any dumbasses who chose the verminous Chorus over the mighty Disfavored, does this play out differently if you decide to trust Nerat from the start?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-29-2017, 07:45 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Now I'm peeved.

All I want to do is be a righteous, incorruptible arbitrator of our glorious Overlord's justice, bringing peace to the land as the firm but fair hand of Tunon the Adjudicator, but apparently Obsidian doesn't want me playing their game that way. It was bad enough that in spite of all my talks and reconciliations with the two armies, they both end up hating me with a passion if I stick with Tunon and refuse to take a side in their stupid partisan civil war. It's one thing when people lash out at me because their stupid boss told them I was evil for hogging the 'glory' in Act 1, or when some rebel scum refuses to negotiate, but when I walk up to someone and THE ONLY OPTION I, THE PLAYER CHARACTER, AM GIVEN is to be a violent asshole and antagonize them for no reason whatsoever, then THAT, my friends, is TOO MUCH.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-29-2017, 08:09 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Now I'm peeved.

All I want to do is be a righteous, incorruptible arbitrator of our glorious Overlord's justice, bringing peace to the land as the firm but fair hand of Tunon the Adjudicator, but apparently Obsidian doesn't want me playing their game that way. It was bad enough that in spite of all my talks and reconciliations with the two armies, they both end up hating me with a passion if I stick with Tunon and refuse to take a side in their stupid partisan civil war. It's one thing when people lash out at me because their stupid boss told them I was evil for hogging the 'glory' in Act 1, or when some rebel scum refuses to negotiate, but when I walk up to someone and THE ONLY OPTION I, THE PLAYER CHARACTER, AM GIVEN is to be a violent asshole and antagonize them for no reason whatsoever, then THAT, my friends, is TOO MUCH.
Isn't "You're an evil asshole working for an even assholier evil asshole." the entire premise of the game?
Old 06-29-2017, 08:21 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
Isn't "You're an evil asshole working for an even assholier evil asshole." the entire premise of the game?
A game which sets you up as an evil asshole working for an even assholier evil asshole, but quickly gives you the chance to become a rebellious freedom fighter defending the national sovereignty of a bunch of hicks, should have the decency to give you a chance to be a well-meaning and reasonable agent of law and order.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-12-2017, 01:50 AM

Banished

Playing the game, I too found the game makes too many assumptions on your character.

I helped the Tiersmen, but said I did it since it was the best way to end the Edict. I showed no wish to let the Tiersmen rule themselves or rebel against Kyros.

Later, dialogue is acting like I'm some rebel against Kyros even though that's not what I said or how I was playing the character. At least, it'd be dandy to let the player have the option to stay loyal to Kyros instead of pulling a Deus Ex and railroading you.

Last edited by Almed; 07-12-2017 at 01:58 AM..
Old 07-12-2017, 07:24 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almed View Post
Playing the game, I too found the game makes too many assumptions on your character.

I helped the Tiersmen, but said I did it since it was the best way to end the Edict. I showed no wish to let the Tiersmen rule themselves or rebel against Kyros.

Later, dialogue is acting like I'm some rebel against Kyros even though that's not what I said or how I was playing the character. At least, it'd be dandy to let the player have the option to stay loyal to Kyros instead of pulling a Deus Ex and railroading you.
I know, right?

And even if you stick with the Legion, probably the most stable option of Kyros' forces, it makes it impossible to do anything remotely diplomatic with anyone else. Or if you do, suddenly they all hate you and Barik is talking about your 'irrational hatred of northern soldiers,' and you're not allowed to do anything remotely diplomatic with them.
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
rpg, video games