Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2017, 10:34 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
Question about Skyrim: do the dragons ever become fun?
When they attack things other than you.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:51 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Not really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:51 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
When they attack things other than you.
Thing is, when they attack something else, you often get caught up in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Not really.
Can't say I'm surprised. The whole dragonborn thing was really poorly implemented, IMO. It might have been better if they'd had the dragons lurking in their lairs. That way, you could go and hunt them down when you needed dragon souls.

As it is, the attacks are annoying. They aren't really that challenging. The dragons themselves seem almost trivial, as it takes them a fair amount of time to kill guards (and if you're helping the guard, the guard will likely survive). If the only thing a dragon can provoke from a player is an eye-roll, the game's doing something wrong.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 09-02-2017, 02:54 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

There's probably a mod for that.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-02-2017, 03:01 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
There's probably a mod for that.
Indeed there is.

The more I play Skyrim, the more I feel like I'm playing Borderlands with swords. I am, at best, a lukewarm fan of Borderlands so this isn't really a good thing. I mean, there's tremendous potential in the game—you see it all over the place. But something just didn't quite gel in the execution.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 09-03-2017, 08:02 AM

Eternal
Location: England, Great Britain, Soon to be United States of Europe

Quote:
Alternatively, Deadly Dragons. Disappointing dragons become a real fight. Although the randomness can still be frustrating.
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
- Father Dennis Edward O'Brian, USMC
Old 09-05-2017, 11:51 AM

Elune

I finished the civil war quest line in Skyrim the other night.

I liked it well-enough, though there were a lot of details that felt off. The game almost seems to go out of its way to get you to side with the Stormcloaks (after all, it starts with you being arrested and prepared for execution by the Imperials). I ended up siding with the Imperials, in part because I generally like the Tamrielic Empire (also, I'm RPing a Hlaalu descendent, so you know, old friendships).

But it's also because the Stormcloaks just rubbed me the wrong way, even though they're cause is actually pretty sympathetic. Ulfric didn't seem like a bad guy, but for all the talk of freedom, it doesn't really change the fact that the Nords have been pretty awful toward the Reachmen and don't treat the Dunmer or Argonians particularly well, either.

I don't expect that the Empire would do a whole lot for these groups (plus, the rebel Reachmen are pretty terrible). But that's more consistent with the Empire's MO. The Stormcloaks come off as hypocrites in a way that the Empire does not. The Stormcloak posturing also got old pretty quickly.

Other weird details are that during the war, as an Imperial, you can freely roam around Windhelm in uniform with no one batting an eye. I'm assuming it's the same for Stormcloak players in Solitude. It goes to a deeper issue in Skyrim in that your choices don't seem to have much consequence.

The battles were fun and hectic, though it was a little disorienting to learn that the battle only really progresses around you. All it really boils down to (as far as I can tell) is to keep killing opponents until it stops. No matter where you go on the map, enemies will spawn to attack. I don't like this sort of player-oriented gameplay; a battle is bigger than any one person, and should feel like it.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:25 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Other weird details are that during the war, as an Imperial, you can freely roam around Windhelm in uniform with no one batting an eye. I'm assuming it's the same for Stormcloak players in Solitude.
Just don't talk to Captain Aldris wearing Stromcloak armor or Stormcloak Officer's Armor. Also guards randomly react to Imperial or Stormcloak armor depending on which side they're sympathetic with. Not just Imperial and Stormcloak guards but Hold guards as well.

As for the Stormcloaks, I always assumed I would side with them, until I actually started playing the game. Then I realized it wasn't as cut and dried as I expected. Especially the Talos worship bit. Apparently the Empire never enfirced the ban and allowed people to worship him quietly, while bidding their time and building up their strength to face the Aldmeri Dominion. Until the Stormcloaks made a big deal about it and drew attention to the issue.

And the way Ulfric treated the Reachmen seems extremely similar to the way he complains the Empire treated him and his.

Besides I have a soft spot for the Empire. I had a lot of trouble getting into Morrowind. I had installed, re-tried the game, given up, uninstalled and re-installed again about four or five times until I took the Silt Strider to Gnisis (which was the last option on the Seyda Neen strider travel menu) and joined the Legion. Then I got into the game.

On another note, I've been experimenting with the resto-loop glitch and trying to see many skills I can insta-level using it. So far I'm up to 7 skills out of 18.

Last edited by Jon Targaryen; 09-05-2017 at 01:29 PM..
Old 09-05-2017, 01:46 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
Just don't talk to Captain Aldris wearing Stromcloak armor or Stormcloak Officer's Armor. Also guards randomly react to Imperial or Stormcloak armor depending on which side they're sympathetic with. Not just Imperial and Stormcloak guards but Hold guards as well.

As for the Stormcloaks, I always assumed I would side with them, until I actually started playing the game. Then I realized it wasn't as cut and dried as I expected. Especially the Talos worship bit. Apparently the Empire never enfirced the ban and allowed people to worship him quietly, while bidding their time and building up their strength to face the Aldmeri Dominion. Until the Stormcloaks made a big deal about it and drew attention to the issue.

And the way Ulfric treated the Reachmen seems extremely similar to the way he complains the Empire treated him and his.

Besides I have a soft spot for the Empire. I had a lot of trouble getting into Morrowind. I had installed, re-tried the game, given up, uninstalled and re-installed again about four or five times until I took the Silt Strider to Gnisis (which was the last option on the Seyda Neen strider travel menu) and joined the Legion. Then I got into the game.

On another note, I've been experimenting with the resto-loop glitch and trying to see many skills I can insta-level using it. So far I'm up to 7 skills out of 18.
Ah, okay. I guess I got lucky.

Morrowind can be tough to get into. What a lot of people find daunting is the fact that at low skill levels, you'll miss a lot of attacks. Once you start gaining levels this stop fairly quickly, but it does feel weird to swing and not have anything happen.

The Legion quests are fun. Gnisis has a fair number of quests for a town its size. I never fiddled around with the resto-loop glitch.

One character I made in Morrowind is Dunmer Nightblade. I maxed out the short blade skill. So when I attack, I never miss, and I attack quickly and harshly enough to keep staggering the opponent. Sometimes they never even get a chance to strike back.

Which is good, because that character's still pretty delicate and can't take much damage.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:16 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

Quote:

As it is, the attacks are annoying. They aren't really that challenging. The dragons themselves seem almost trivial, as it takes them a fair amount of time to kill guards (and if you're helping the guard, the guard will likely survive). If the only thing a dragon can provoke from a player is an eye-roll, the game's doing something wrong.
Yea but that's just a Bethesda game thing. They're all easy by default to make it more accessible.

I don't know what's out there for the special edition because I'm not touching it till SKSE is out for it but classic Skyrim has a couple of mods that make you actually try to avoid or run from them. Requiem alone makes them terrifying to deal with at early levels. Throw in something like Mighty Dragons and have fun spending 20+ min killing one and most NPC's that try to help getting two shotted.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:26 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
No. It's one of the biggest flaws of the game, that the dragons, ostensibly the biggest, shiniest part of the game are pretty uninteresting.

They're bags of hit points with sharp teeth and a flamethrower. Even Alduin is ultimately just that. Skyrim doesn't do much to capitalize on an race of intelligent creatures which once roamed the world and were worshipped as gods. In the end, as far as the player is concerned, they may as well be dumb brutes with wings.

There is one exception, of course.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:55 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

It would have been pretty rad if all that talk of 'dragon fights are basically magic arguments' actually amounted to anything, but I guess that would have been tricky to implement.
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
a lordaeron in cyrodil, best game ever, elder scrolls, elsweyr is lordaeron, n'wahs everywhere, video games