Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2012, 01:34 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

A weird thing just happened, Tali got drunk and talked about Miranda like she was dead. Miranda didn't die...
Old 03-10-2012, 01:41 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
A weird thing just happened, Tali got drunk and talked about Miranda like she was dead. Miranda didn't die...
QUALITY BIOWARE CODING

EDIT: Also, lemme know what you think about this video

Last edited by Omacron; 03-10-2012 at 01:48 PM..
Old 03-10-2012, 01:59 PM

Needs A Hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
QUALITY BIOWARE CODING

...Hearing Hepler say "Crazy up against the wall, let's have it on right here." was a horrible, horrible experience.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:00 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
QUALITY BIOWARE CODING

The strangest part was all the other crewmembers were talking about how relived they were that Miranda made it out okay.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:14 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
We don't see him, but he does get a mention. After you recruit the quarians, you get an e-mail forwarded to you. It's about Primarch Victus posthumously awarding him the Turian Heirarchy's highest honor for his defense of a turian base. Dude apparently went down like a boss.
I must have missed that one. Did good, Kal. Keelah se'lai.

edit: In that video, what on earth is wrong with Zash at 3:30? I don't remember her suddenly busting a move at that point.

Last edited by Arakiba; 03-10-2012 at 02:18 PM..
Old 03-10-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
I must have missed that one. Did good, Kal. Keelah se'lai.

edit: In that video, what on earth is wrong with Zash at 3:30? I don't remember her suddenly busting a move at that point.
Looks like a QUALITY animation error.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:16 PM

Demon Hunter

The ending...my god

SPOILER(sorta not really)

They butchered it so bad I just don't know how to say it better than the people in my link
If you want to try to help change it here are some links
polls
http://social.bioware.com/633606/polls/28989
http://social.bioware.com/1183972/polls/29101/
http://social.bioware.com/1183972/polls/29101/

here is a petition
http://www.change.org/petitions/mass...es-of-the-game
Old 03-10-2012, 04:51 PM

Eternal

We should start a Gaming Spring from this. SOPA and ACTA protests were considered an "Internet Spring" and proves the power of the social media not only changes the Arab World but also the internet that created it. We need to rise up and have our own spring.

If enough people complain, change happens. That's the way it always has been.

This ending change may send ripple effects throughout many player bases in other games ruined by EA, Activision, whatever,and change things to the way it should be! WE ARE THE 99%!

Plus, the publishing companies all support SOPA and ACTA. They deserve what may come to them.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson

So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul

Last edited by xie323; 03-10-2012 at 04:56 PM..
Old 03-10-2012, 06:19 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

You're all fucking crazy if you think FORCING or petitioning Bioware to change the ending of their game is going to result in anything positive...

Like... wow.

Can you imagine if someone petitioned Steven Spielburg to change the ending of "The Last Crusade"? It'd be ludicrous. An artist (or team of artists in this case) needs to be true to their own vision. I don't mean that as pretentiously as it sounds. Sharing your own ideas for where the story could have gone is one thing, expressing your opinion is one thing.

Telling a creative team HOW they should have done their jobs or asking them to change what's already been done is just downright insulting, annoyingly entitled, ridiculous...
Old 03-10-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
Telling a creative team HOW they should have done their jobs or asking them to change what's already been done is just downright insulting, annoyingly entitled, ridiculous...
I do that all the time at work though.

Damn it's good to be an editor.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:22 PM

Eternal

We aren't forcing them, just telling them to add new endings! An option to refuse the fate they offer! We deserve idealism! And we WANT A HAPPIER ENDING!

Also no one was pissed with Spielburg. Go figure. We are not in control of that ending, but we are in control of Shepard's fate. We have gotten too attached to our character, and we want to see him sent off in glory!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson

So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul
Old 03-10-2012, 06:23 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Map

Quote:
I do that all the time at work though.

Damn it's good to be an editor.
If you're an editor then you're part of the process, you're not an audience member.

Quote:
We aren't forcing them, just telling them to add new endings! An option to refuse the fate they offer! We deserve idealism! And we WANT A HAPPIER ENDING!
I dunno, I actually found the ending far too vague to get mad at it. Like yeah, sure, they're all the same, because we don't see any follow-up to any of them. There probably should have been an epilogue.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
If you're an editor then you're part of the process, you're not an audience member.
My process is demanding pictures of Spider-Man.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:25 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
My process is demanding pictures of Spider-Man.
Omacron, this is a Warcraft forum...
Old 03-10-2012, 06:28 PM

Eternal

Mass Effect is not meant to be a fully cynical series. It is where your choices matter and can immerse you in a story. You want a happy ending? You earn it! You want a sad ending? You earn it! This ending destroys THIS VALUE! You have to base the ending on your choices, not what has to be done!

I wanna see Shepard sent off in style. I wanna see closure, I wanna see the beautiful story that began end epically. I wanna see what happens to the galaxy we tried to save or frak. I don't want what could possibly connect with Warhammer 40K AKA the realm of utter cynicism, I want idealism! I wanna see how the crew, the LI ends up in the end. I want to see if we made a difference! I WANT TO SEE IF THE UNIVERSE WILL CHANGE!! I wanna see hope, not despair. Despair has to be earned, so has to be hope, so has a bittersweet ending, so has a happy ending. It can't all come down to a choice at the end! We played for 100 hours since 2007, and we...deserve...our...reward!

The ending should be happy, sad, despairing, bittersweet depending on your actions.......NOT just the END!

I DON'T WANT THIS ENDING!! I DON'T WANT TO SUBMIT TO EA! I DON'T WANT TO SUBMIT TO A FUTURE OF FPS clones and wholly cynical endings that you have no control despite the deception of control! I'm protesting not for myself, but for Bioware! I am not protesting against Games Workshop, but I want control, control in RPGs to decide my character's fate....not be part of the Grim future of the 40th Millennium! Keep WH40K cynicism in WH40K!

If I hear "Who cares, it's just a game" one more time....Gaming is not a bland form of entertainment, it can be ART! It can be a form of beauty. But EA only sees quick bucks.

WE ARE THE 99%! WE ARE LEGION! WE DO NOT FORGET!

Last edited by xie323; 03-10-2012 at 06:43 PM..
Old 03-10-2012, 06:41 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by xie323 View Post
Mass Effect is not meant to be a fully cynical series. It is where your choices matter and can immerse you in a story. This ending destroys THIS VALUE!

I wanna see Shepard sent off in style. I wanna see closure, I wanna see the beautiful story that began end epically. I wanna see what happens to the galaxy we tried to save or destroy. I don't want what could possibly connect with Warhammer 40K AKA the realm of utter cynicism, I want idealism! I wanna see how the crew, the LI ends up in the end. I want to see if we made a difference! I WANT TO SEE IF THE UNIVERSE WILL CHANGE!! I wanna see hope, not despair. Despair has to be earned, so has to be hope, so has a bittersweet ending, so has a happy ending. It can't all come down to a choice at the end! We played for 100 hours since 2007, and we...deserve...our...reward!

The ending should be happy, sad, despairing, bittersweet depending on your actions.......NOT just the END!

I DON'T WANT THIS ENDING!! I DON'T WANT TO SUBMIT TO EA! I DON'T WANT TO SUBMIT TO A FUTURE OF FPS clones and wholly cynical endings that you have no control! I'm protesting not for myself, but for Bioware! I am not protesting against Games Workshop, but I want control, control in RPGs to decide my character's fate. Keep WH40K cynicism in WH40K!

WE ARE THE 99%! WE ARE LEGION! WE DO NOT FORGET!
Really, bringing the 99% into this?

I agree the ending is garbage, but bringing the shit that happened on Wall Street into this is stupid.

I chose to merge with the synthetics, making EDI, the Geth, etc, all 'Alive' (Joker and her could be together for reals) and ensure peace throughout the galaxy. The Reapers won't come back because their purpose is removed, and Synthetics and Organics are one and the same.

My Shepard could go out to ensure Galactic Peace for the rest of forever.

The only part that was really dumb about the ending was how the Normandy was running for it like that. I was like... "Why? and Why is he the only one running away? How did he have time to get away, when he was near earth helping fight..?"
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 03-10-2012, 06:41 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xie323 View Post
Mass Effect is not meant to be a fully cynical series. It is where your choices matter and can immerse you in a story. This ending destroys THIS VALUE!
Uh, Mass Effect can be pretty bleak at times. The Ashley/Kaiden thing on Virmire was pretty sadistic. The ending wasn't out of place for the series at all.

I thought the issue with it, was that it was just far too new-agey for what they were doing. They're trying to make you think, make the Reapers complex and it's a mistake. The reapers were far more compelling as giant planet-eating monsters as far as I'm concerned.

That whole 'organics will make robots and they will fight eachother!' thing was just... ridiculous. I didn't even mind the dream sequences that everybody seemed to hate. I just thought that their explanations for what was happening weren't satisfying in light of the AMAZING conclusions to 1 and 2.

Much like 2 this game just didn't have a good antagonist for us to hate. So the conclusion is unsatisfying because nobody winds up getting beaten.

Also the pieces of the puzzle just weren't very solid. Making the Citadel the catalyst made sense. Having the Illusive Man tell the Reapers the Council races' plan and then having the Reapers MOVE the Citadel... OFF SCREEN was pathetic.

That just makes things confusing and harder to follow. Like ME1's ending, it takes place on the Citadel, but they've set it up properly. They've hinted at it, it makes sense as a good location for the conclusion, they spend A LOT of time setting it up. (Rather than ME3 where it's just kinda like "Oh yeah, they moved the Citadel so you might wanna stop there while you're retaking Earth.")

The final fight with Saren is effective because you've seen that location before. The Citadel Council chambers are probably the most recognizable location in the game at that point. Like... people need time to take things in and reflect on them, and while it wasn't as bad as 2 was at this, ME3 is still just a little too fast-paced and loose for it's own good.

And that's the one area where 1 will always win. Is just the gravity and the pacing. Not the scope, but the actual weight of what's going on. ME1 is a very heavy, solid game. ME2 and to a lesser extent 3 are just so... light in retrospect.

Quote:

I DON'T WANT THIS ENDING!! I DON'T WANT TO SUBMIT TO EA! I DON'T WANT TO SUBMIT TO A FUTURE OF FPS clones and wholly cynical endings that you have no control!
Just because you didn't like the ending doesn't make ME3 an FPS clone or a byproduct of EA's meddling or whatever else you want to believe.

Last edited by Aldrius; 03-10-2012 at 06:44 PM..
Old 03-10-2012, 06:43 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Uh, Mass Effect can be pretty bleak at times. The Ashley/Kaiden thing on Virmire was pretty sadistic. The ending wasn't out of place for the series at all.

I thought the issue with it, was that it was just far too new-agey for what they were doing. They're trying to make you think, make the Reapers complex and it's a mistake. The reapers were far more compelling as giant planet-eating monsters as far as I'm concerned.

That whole 'organics will make robots and they will fight eachother!' thing was just... ridiculous. I didn't even mind the dream sequences that everybody seemed to hate. I just thought that their explanations for what was happening weren't satisfying in light of the AMAZING conclusions to 1 and 2.

Much like 2 this game just didn't have a good antagonist for us to hate. So the conclusion is unsatisfying because nobody winds up getting beaten.

Also the pieces of the puzzle just weren't very solid. Making the Citadel the catalyst made sense. Having the Illusive Man tell the Reapers the Council races' plan and then having the Reapers MOVE the Citadel... OFF SCREEN was pathetic.

That just makes things confusing and harder to follow. Like ME1's ending, it takes place on the Citadel, but they've set it up properly. They've hinted at it, it makes sense as a good location for the conclusion, they spend A LOT of time setting it up. (Rather than ME3 where it's just kinda like "Oh yeah, they moved the Citadel so you might wanna stop there while you're retaking Earth.")

The final fight with Saren is effective because you've seen that location before. The Citadel Council chambers are probably the most recognizable location in the game at that point. Like... people need time to take things in and reflect on them, and while it wasn't as bad as 2 was at this, ME3 is still just a little too fast-paced and loose for it's own good.

And that's the one area where 1 will always win. Is just the gravity and the pacing. Not the scope, but the actual weight of what's going on. ME1 is a very heavy, solid game. ME2 and to a lesser extent 3 are just so... light in retrospect.
It wasn't out of please, and ME3 had a lot of sadistic choices. But it felt........anticlimactic. We deserve at least an epilogue. The fact that the game sets itself up as a foundation for many variables, but only left us with 3.

The whole "ignore the catalyst" ending suggested was far better.

And even if we make tough choices. We want to see, sadistic choice or not. Something good come out of it, something good come out of sacrifice. We want to see an epilogue on the fate of the world.......not some abrupt ending!

Last edited by xie323; 03-10-2012 at 06:47 PM..
Old 03-10-2012, 06:46 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtide View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT-43
Go to Therians

I also think the original ending was kinda like that but with dark matter (see ME 2 and Haestrom) and the Reapers needing organic minds as a computing platform? Heard something like that.

But yeah I would have loved for Harbinger to actually recognize and talk to you considering he seems to have a massive hate boner for you. You know, something, a single SHEPARD droning across the massive distance should have been the minimum.

Did you get specific cutscences for that? I went control and just got Reapers leaving earth with cheering soldiers in the front, Joker racing the relay explosion and Joker, Tali, Javik leaving the Normandy (however the hell Tali got from London's ground zero to the Normandy remains a mystery to me).
Oh at 50% readiness and 7k total strength.
And I was triple pissed at the ending since the Rannoch Reaper goes "you cannot comprehend it" ... again. For something so impossible to comprehend, the god child explained it pretty well in ... 2 sentences?
Edit: Also why the fuck didn't the Catalyst tell Sovereign the Protheans fucked with the Citadel and let him dick around trying to subjugate the Geth? My head is full of fuck
The cutscene was the one where the Infantry was attacking the destroyer. The Krogan in the building looked exactly like Wrex.
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"

Last edited by Crazyterran; 03-10-2012 at 07:04 PM..
Old 03-10-2012, 06:51 PM

Eternal

Best ending:

Quote:
There should be a fourth option available at the end - and the beauty of it is that it would naturally branch in a way that satisfies both of the outcomes people are asking for.

Right now, the Guardian presents us with three options - destroy, control, and merge. Each are depressingly self-destructive in their own ways, and as we all know, we have no choice but to pick one. DLC could add a fourth option: REFUSE.

Shepard stabs a defiant finger in the Guardian's chest and declares it is not their right to "protect" us from the consequences of our own actions. If peace was forged between the Quarians and the Geth, Shepard cites that as proof that the Guardian's premise of inevitable conflict between synthetics and organics is wrong. If not, Shepard can simply deny the Guardian's conclusion and declare that we're going to go down fighting. Shepard delivers an ultimatum: take your abominations and go. Whether we live as a civilization or die by our own hand is a choice to be left to every one of us. So, f*** you very much, but thanks for thinking of us.

The Guardian blows off Shepard's ultimatum, and the Reapers continue to fight. At this point, the outcome is out of your hands. Shepard watches, unable to intervene, as the fleets continue to engage, the forces of the galaxy attempting to defeat the Reapers once and for all in conventional combat. The Guardian taunts you, trying to goad you into choosing one of the three options it offered, while assuming the forms of different people you've lost along the way: Virmire casualty, Anderson, and your love interest, dead or alive, just to screw with you. You can change your mind, or continue to stand and watch. If you gathered enough war assets (as in, much higher than the required amount for the "perfect" ending we're given now), the Reapers are defeated at horrific cost, but the Relay network remains intact, and Shepard gets to reunite with his/her LI and squad provided the Normandy survived the fight (itself dependent on other criteria). This would be the hardest ending to achieve, requiring the greatest effort and providing the most reward. You would really have to work your ass off to do this, but as evidenced by this poll, most of the people here would be willing to try.

If you didn't have enough resources, the Reapers emerge victorious, and, having defeated the combined military might of the galaxy, they are free to harvest everyone else. The cycle continues. They win. Either way, you get to spit in the devil's face once more instead of bowing to the invariably self-destructive choice he offers you.

Me: I personally think this solution would be profound. Furthermore, it really gives five endings for the game. If you we're not fully prepared for the war, then Shepherd allows the Reapers to win without sacrificing his integrity (which would be a major win in my book). Finally, if you were fully prepared then you receive the most rewarding ending possible with what I think could potentially be one of the most creative boss fights in gaming history...a battle of wills alone.

Read the paragraph pic I show you. Sometimes, the best ending has to be a Gordian Knot.

We win or lose not by one choice or two, but by many variables leading up to this point!

What's the point in allowing us to make all the choices we did just to have it be this: choose one of these three paths...also we are going to give you as little information as possible as to what this outcome will really do. Not to mention you have no closure from the game. What happened to the people who were with you on Earth when Harbinger attacked? Why was Joker and the Normandy traveling through a mass relay? What's the point in curing the Genophage and stopping the Quarian-Geth war when no matter what you do, the Mass Relays are gone and everyone is stranded? Turians and Quarians can't eat Earth food. The combined fleets of the galaxy are stuck in the Sol relay. Also with all mass relays blowing up, doesn't that entail that they all simulate a supernova ala the ME:2 DLC Arrival?

I would have wished for some closure at least with what happens to the galaxy and the characters I've grown to love(or despise!).

Last edited by xie323; 03-10-2012 at 07:03 PM..
Old 03-10-2012, 08:36 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

I just beat it, and chose the "merge" ending. I don't see what was so bad it. All life in the galaxy survives and gets to live in peace forever. Shepard becomes some sort of physical god in that "everything he is" is used to transform the galaxy, and the fact that there are humans living on some obviously alien planet means they fixed the relays/found another form of FTL travel.

Also:

Little Girl: Tell me another story about the The Shepard Man, Grandpa.
Grandfather: Alright, one more story...

I'm calling it now, either BioWare went back on their word for a Mass Effect 4, or we're getting an 'After the End' DLC/expansion.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I just beat it, and chose the "merge" ending. I don't see what was so bad it. All life in the galaxy survives and gets to live in peace forever. Shepard becomes some sort of physical god in that "everything he is" is used to transform the galaxy, and the fact that there are humans living on some obviously alien planet means they fixed the relays/found another form of FTL travel.[/COLOR]
Not necessarily. It could be the same planet the Normandy crash landed on. Also I'm not sure if Shep maintained his consciousness after faceplanting into the beam.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:06 AM

Banished

Quote:
I just beat it, and chose the "merge" ending. I don't see what was so bad it. All life in the galaxy survives and gets to live in peace forever. Shepard becomes some sort of physical god in that "everything he is" is used to transform the galaxy, and the fact that there are humans living on some obviously alien planet means they fixed the relays/found another form of FTL travel.

Also:

I'm calling it now, either BioWare went back on their word for a Mass Effect 4, or we're getting an 'After the End' DLC/expansion.
SPACE MAGIC! I thought about the poor races who just discovered fire and now need batteries to run
And pretty sure it's the same planet, look at the moons etc
Oh and did notice the vegetation that gives way in the crash scene have an electric circuit glow on them when you picked Synthesis?
Old 03-11-2012, 06:07 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Quote:

Also:

It doesn't necessarily mean they fixed the relays. They could just be the descendants of some stranded human colony out in the galaxy.

And I thought the kid was a boy, no?
Old 03-11-2012, 06:28 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
It doesn't necessarily mean they fixed the relays. They could just be the descendants of some stranded human colony out in the galaxy.

And I thought the kid was a boy, no?
It sounded like a girl to me.

Tags
andromeda, bioware, ea games, mass effect, rpg, scifi, video game cutscene, video games