Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

View Poll Results: Which of these allied race combos would you prefer?
Vrykul (A)/MU Clans (H) 11 28.21%
Kul Tirans (A)/MU Clans (H) 16 41.03%
Kul Tirans (A)/AU Clans (H) 9 23.08%
Vrykul (A)/AU Clans (H) 3 7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2018, 03:50 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Actually, people did want Lightforged.

True, not as a race of its own, but claiming that Dark Irons are the only Alliance allied race people have asked for isn't correct. Draenei fans have been asking for Yrel and the Lightforged's horns since they first saw 'em.

Lightforged are Blizzard's answer to those wishes, not the answer to playable krokul.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:38 PM

Chimaera

People wanted them as cosmetic options for the already-existing race. It's not correct to say they wanted Lightforged. Lightforged didn't even exist a couple of years ago.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:03 AM

We can argue about the implementation (or maybe not, since I would also have preferred the Lightforged to just be cosmetic options,) but fact is that there was a demand for the things playable Lightforged delivered and that it had nothing to do with the completely separate demand for Krokul.

I for one would have abhorred playable Krokul, no matter how interesting others claim them to be, and have thought them to be a waste of resources, given that I am of the belief that their appearance would lead them to be an unpopular race choice. However, had they been added, I would have to admit that, although they were not something I personally asked for, there was a demand for Krokul.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:00 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

The thing that bothers about the "nobody asked for X race/everybody wanted this race" argument is that it makes whomever says that look like they speak for everybody and don't actually look into what individual people want. For example, with Void Elves, I admit I never asked for them specifically, but at the same time I and several other Alliance players definitely wanted a race that wasn't just another Light or Druid-themed race. Interestingly enough, while I didn't ask for voidcursed elves specifically because I never expected Blizzard would add something like that, I still brainstormed a bunch of different ideas for a race with Shadow/Void themes that still fit in the Alliance's overall theme and Void Elves have come about to be the closest thing I envisioned.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:19 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
The thing that bothers about the "nobody asked for X race/everybody wanted this race" argument is that it makes whomever says that look like they speak for everybody and don't actually look into what individual people want. For example, with Void Elves, I admit I never asked for them specifically, but at the same time I and several other Alliance players definitely wanted a race that wasn't just another Light or Druid-themed race. Interestingly enough, while I didn't ask for voidcursed elves specifically because I never expected Blizzard would add something like that, I still brainstormed a bunch of different ideas for a race with Shadow/Void themes that still fit in the Alliance's overall theme and Void Elves have come about to be the closest thing I envisioned.
I don't usually use the "nobody asked for X" arguments, but I do think it's a true one against void elves. First, because people were asking for something else that was (seemly) made impossible by being replaced by the void elves. And second, because void elves never existed in lore before and were created just so there would be an allied race.

Yeah, I know some people hope for a new race or a void race, but they'd be just as happy by something else like ethereals.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 03-25-2018, 04:43 AM

Well, it really depends on how you define "Alliance high elves".
  • Do you mean the race, which includes blood elves and void elves too?
  • Do you mean the political group, in which case you would be right about void elves not being high elves?
  • Do you mean members of the race which have blue eyes only and human-coloured skin, which would also exclude void elves?
  • Do you mean all of the above?

I, for example, am completely satisfied with only the first criteria being met, although I would not have said no to the others too. For me, void elves (as a subrace/allied race and not a full race) are indeed something I wanted.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:11 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Well, it really depends on how you define "Alliance high elves".
  • Do you mean the race, which includes blood elves and void elves too?
  • Do you mean the political group, in which case you would be right about void elves not being high elves?
  • Do you mean members of the race which have blue eyes only and human-coloured skin, which would also exclude void elves?
  • Do you mean all of the above?

I, for example, am completely satisfied with only the first criteria being met, although I would not have said no to the others too. For me, void elves (as a subrace/allied race and not a full race) are indeed something I wanted.
It's a combo of all that. Different players may feel betrayed by different reasons, be it lore, appearance or whatever. Some (not me) will only be satisfied with "pure" blue eyed high elves. Others, not so much.

To be frank, void elves' main flaw is the lack of lore, exposure and proper introduction. We have a vague idea of what a void elf is due to Alleria's recent exposure, but we have no idea of exactly what their state means and how they are forming as a society. Right now they are empty husks, and I feel detached from my character, as there's nothing in the void elf lore that I feel draw into.

The other big flaw is that void elves are not a continuation of the high elf storyline. They are an entirely new group of blood elves that appeared suddenly and then were transformed. I feel that making the void elves a natural evolution of the high elves would have appeased (some) people. The problem is that it would be hard to make such a transition feel "natural", as high elf lore was about rejecting dangerous magics and practices.

The third flaw lies in the visuals. Some people may like the blue-skinned void elves, but most people who wanted high elves do not. Plus, Alliance already has two other blue-skinned race options, so it does not feel very original.

IMO, void elves are salvageable. Visually, they'd need more customization options. Lorewise, I'd like to see them develop some kind of close relationship with the high elves, akin to worgen/gilneans. The high elves could remain unplayable, just like you can't make a "pure" gilnean character, but void elves would be often seen with them, and their lore would evolve together from now on.

There's two problems with that approach: one, that we will probably not see any lore for void elves for at least nine months or so. And the second one is that you can't change a first impression. A lot of people (that wanted high elves) will be unwilling to give void elves a second chance.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 03-30-2018, 05:55 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Hobgoblins for the Alliance, Leper Gnomes for the Horde.

Leper Gnomes hate their non-leper brothers and sisters, and already have folks working for Sylvanas. I imagine racial traits and abilities based on how toxic they are. Maybe the ability to turn into an ooze and split off a decoy for a quick getaway.

I’m not necessarily sold on it being Hobgoblins per se, but I truly feel some variation of Goblin selling it’s services to the Alliance is in order. They’re a financially motivated race. Surely Gallywix has a competitor who might try to get similar faction oriented backing. Maybe a race of deep goblins or spider goblins who stayed in the Undermine when Kezan blew.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:24 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
Hobgoblins for the Alliance, Leper Gnomes for the Horde.

Leper Gnomes hate their non-leper brothers and sisters, and already have folks working for Sylvanas. I imagine racial traits and abilities based on how toxic they are. Maybe the ability to turn into an ooze and split off a decoy for a quick getaway.

I’m not necessarily sold on it being Hobgoblins per se, but I truly feel some variation of Goblin selling it’s services to the Alliance is in order. They’re a financially motivated race. Surely Gallywix has a competitor who might try to get similar faction oriented backing. Maybe a race of deep goblins or spider goblins who stayed in the Undermine when Kezan blew.
What about gilgoblins?

Previous avatars: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Old 03-30-2018, 08:05 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

You people should try broadening your thinking to races people would actually play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
You people should try broadening your thinking to races people would actually play.
Like gnolls. Am I right, Tora-chan?
Old 03-30-2018, 12:10 PM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Stormstout View Post
What about gilgoblins?
Never saw the appeal. But hey, if you like them...

Quote:
What variant of Goblins or Gnomes tickles your fancy?

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 03-31-2018 at 06:51 AM..
Old 03-31-2018, 07:46 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
I don't either, particularly, but it seemed odd to leave them out considering that they're more of an equivalent to leper gnomes than hobgoblins are - that is, gilgoblins have the same overall body shape as goblins but with different skin colors and some altered features, as opposed to hobgoblins who look drastically different from regular goblins in pretty much every aspect, from size and body shape to the shape of their ears and the number of toes on each foot.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:18 AM

Elune

Quote:

What variant of Goblins or Gnomes tickles your fancy?
Well, it's not that the idea is bad, but why push for goblins/gnomes on the opposite faction? I'd rather the Gnomes unite and finally retake their city.
Quote:
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:56 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Stormstout View Post
I don't either, particularly, but it seemed odd to leave them out considering that they're more of an equivalent to leper gnomes than hobgoblins are - that is, gilgoblins have the same overall body shape as goblins but with different skin colors and some altered features, as opposed to hobgoblins who look drastically different from regular goblins in pretty much every aspect, from size and body shape to the shape of their ears and the number of toes on each foot.
But what do they actually contribute to the race as a whole? To the narrative? Leper Gnomes are a major plot point for actual Gnomes. Gilgoblins are hardly relevant to the Goblin race as a whole. Noitora has a point: a new allied race should have some sort of appeal. They should bring something desirable to the table. A new look at the old race. It can be a new evolution if said evolution also develops the plot. A different branch. Competitors of Gallywix is a start, but they need more. An inversion of the Cunning Goblin to the brutish Hobgoblin might do the trick, but I’m not married to the idea.

Quote:
Well, it's not that the idea is bad, but why push for goblins/gnomes on the opposite faction? I'd rather the Gnomes unite and finally retake their city.
I like the faction twisting, similar to Nightborne and Void Elves being a foil to the night Elves and Blood Elves they’ve branched from. Goblins seem a natural fit for this, given their greedy motivations and history of neutrality. I put my reasons why leper Gnomes would switch in my post (links to Sylvanas, hatred of normal Gnomes). For a bit I toyed with the idea of Frost Worgen, Frostwolf Orcs who develop such a strong relationship with Frost Wolves that they start becoming them, and I’d play the hell out of that, but it messes with Druid faction balance. Besides, there’s still Night Elf Worgen to use instead.

And you’re right, faction jumping isn’t a requirement. I just like the twist.

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 03-31-2018 at 11:07 AM..
Old 03-31-2018, 12:13 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
So more elves?
Old 04-01-2018, 03:33 PM

Elune

First off, was a bit of a nostalgia trip checking out the first page and seeing all the old faces.

Anyway for what I want to see, for the Horde: vrykul, worgen (that Forstwolf idea is neat, Ralaar's followers be they night elf or some group of feral worgen that did not join Alliance), more kinds of undead (a very cheap yet plentiful option), ogres, forest trolls, yaungol, saberon, centaur or tolvir, gnoll (reimaged and made cooler), maybe satyr and eredar for the insane pick. Also I'd say that I want Horde night elves since nightborne are nothing like them and their models are exceedingly ugly. Horde humans are also a favorite of mine, either Defias humasn or Alterac ones with the Alliance getting some treacherous orc clan as compensation. I don't want any cutsey or shortstack races for the Horde, I still dislike the addition of goblins despite being legacy Horde but if one has to be added then wolvar.

For Alliance: frost dwarves, maybe iron, high elves (they are part of the Alliance story and the whiners will shut up finally), undead who reject the Forsaken, maaaybe Grimtotem tauren (play them up as the civilized tauren tribe but keep them devious on the sly, quite refreshing for the Alliance), quilboar (if reimaged to look cool), furbolg, centaur, mechagnomes, maybe satyr and night elf worgen. Obviously races that are on both sides can go either way.

I mainly based my picks on looks and what I want so some are dubious lorewise but hey who still cares for the lore, certainly not Blizz.

PS. I should bring back my cross-factional traitor bastards thread in light of allied races being added.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:42 PM

Chimaera

Quote:
What variant of [s]Goblins[/s] or Gnomes tickles your fancy?
GRUMMLES! With bonus bag space, special discounts and more powerful trinkets as racials.

Seriously, I'd play a Grummle.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:45 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_C View Post
GRUMMLES! With bonus bag space, special discounts and more powerful trinkets as racials.

Seriously, I'd play a Grummle.
/flirt: wanna see my luckydoo?
Old 04-02-2018, 01:55 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Leper gnomes as they are now are pretty boring but I like the idea of them having cybernetic implants (to replace parts of their bodies that fell off due to leprosy) as a kind of compromise way of also getting mechagnomes, in the same way that Kul'tirans are "kinda" vrykul.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:40 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Leper gnomes as they are now are pretty boring but I like the idea of them having cybernetic implants (to replace parts of their bodies that fell off due to leprosy) as a kind of compromise way of also getting mechagnomes, in the same way that Kul'tirans are "kinda" vrykul.
I'm going to say no to spite you for wanting cyborgs.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-03-2018, 03:23 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
For what it's worth, there's already an example of a leper gnome replacing his limbs with mechanical ones in the form of Gerenzo Wrenchwhistle (though of course the implants can't be seen on his in-game model), so there's some canonical support for the idea already.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:26 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

The only cyborg race we can have are obviously mo'arg.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:07 PM

Eternal

I really like the cybernetic leper gnome idea. That’s good stuff.

An alternate take on my Frost-Worgen (Frostwolf Orcs turned Worgen) idea.

While never particularly friendly with the Forsaken, the Frostwolfclan of Orcsnow finds itself isolated and surrounded following the the fall of the Undercity. And then attacks by Worgen from Hillsbrad and Silverpine start. The Frostwolf clan fought valiantly, and the Alterac Mountains are quite defensible, but they weren’t without injuries, including Worgen bites. What they did lack was Night Elven Druids to help them with the necessary rituals to control their transformation. Instead they turn to Shamanism, being well acquainted with the Spirit of the Frost Wolf. Instead of being returning to their original orcish forms, they dive deeper, transforming between the form of a savage Worgen and the form of a Wolf. This new pack is incompatible with the rival Gilnean Worgen.

Racials:
Wolf Form: built in travel form. Not quite as fast as a ground mount, but stealthy.
Howl: buffs allies haste for 10 seconds
Pack Synergy: Passive buff to group movement speed
Rabid: passive chance to infect enemies whenever you inflict melee damage.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:48 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

If we are using the eight present allied races as examples of the criteria for them (being, variants of existing races), then the only suitable options for gnomes are leper gnomes, and for goblins, gilgoblins. (This is without going into the realm of fan fiction to create a new variant race like they did with void elves).

Worgen would be night elf worgen. Undead are a bit trickier. Probably would be Intact Undead a la Nathanos. But that's bland even by Allied Race standards. Undead elves are the better choice there's so many elves already. Could you with Banshees that work a la Sylvanas (i.e. Zombie elf out of combat with a transform) to give the Horde a morphing race to match the worgen.

Granted, I fully expect Blizzard to just not give a shit about design consistency and throw in something unrelated like those fox things. If they're not willing to do broken I don't see leper gnomes happening.

If we are going to put there wishes, I'd go for dark trolls on the Alliance.

Not playing this shit either way so I dunno why I care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed

Tags
brace yourselves, drunk thread, eredar attaque, lordaeron is coming, races, warcraft, world of warcraft