Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 08-20-2017, 07:56 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Six Flags theme parks will only fly American flags now.

Dear Six Flags,

No. That is only one flag. It would make you One Flags Over Texas. I understand that the Confederate flag, the Mexican Eagle-eating-snake-on-cactus, the Fleur de Lis, and the Castilla and Aragon union banner are offensive emblems of hate. But we're Texas. We do not lack flag options!

Here, have a few: http://www.lsjunction.com/facts/flags.htm

Pick four. Add modern Texas and U.S. flags. Call it a win.

I swear. Boring-ass, lazy SJWs . . .

EDIT: Or just sub in the Burnett lone star flag (first national flag of Texas) instead of the CSA. Nobody needs to know the Bonnie Blue was later adopted by Confederates.
I never knew why they were called Six Flags or that they were based in Texas.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:19 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I'm glad they're getting rid of the confederate flag but I agree, they don't need to trim it down just to the American flag, they've got plenty of options still.
The 1824 "Alamo" flag is a good choice. It looks pretty Mexican.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:01 AM

Elune

Quote:
That should probably stop, yeah.
When you have people like Dan Harmon say that 29% of people in the united states are Nazi's. A literal third of the country, in his own words.

That's ~107 million people. There are, according to someone not "culturally insignificant" like Dan Harmon, 21 times more Nazi's than actual WW2.

So yeah. I wasn't trying to shut down or dodge the question. Sorry if you thought I was.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:42 AM

Arch-Druid

So, um.

I kinda need this to be satire. Because if it isn't... oh my god, what the actual fuck.

http://archive.is/M5ktG
Old 08-21-2017, 03:21 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
When you have people like Dan Harmon say that 29% of people in the united states are Nazi's. A literal third of the country, in his own words.
I hate to be pedantic, as I find this entire line of back-and-forth discussion kind of stupid, but that would not be a literal third. You may continue.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:04 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakitori View Post
So, um.

I kinda need this to be satire. Because if it isn't... oh my god, what the actual fuck.

http://archive.is/M5ktG
Nope, seems she's an actual community leader of some kind, that stuff is pretty crazy though. The core concept of helping families in generational poverty is nice but the extremes and way its worded don't help at all.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 08-21-2017, 11:34 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
I'm going for the "Canada accepted a hell of a lot of Nazis into their country and refuse to this day any effort to hold them accountable for their shit" of factuality.
Only that can be characterized as a half-truth, at best.

Yes, a lot of Nazis fled to Canada and obtained Canadian citizenship. Yes, Canada has a poor track record when it comes to convicting former Nazis of war crimes.

But then, Canada's official policy on Nazis isn't "Convict them of war crimes", because Canadian courts aren't very good at that (you'll want to talk to actual lawyers about why that is, I've never understood it myself). Rather, the federal government prefers to extradite them to the countries in which said crimes were committed so their courts, which are better equipped to deal with such cases, can deal with them. and they've been pretty successful at that.

So to reiterate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
So just straight up non-sequitur, eh?
Don't pin the US's neo-nazi problem on Canada.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:41 AM

Poor Soldier
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post

Yes, a lot of Nazis fled to Canada and obtained Canadian citizenship. Yes, Canada has a poor track record when it comes to convicting former Nazis of war crimes.

But then, Canada's official policy on Nazis isn't "Convict them of war crimes", because Canadian courts aren't very good at that (you'll want to talk to actual lawyers about why that is, I've never understood it myself). Rather, the federal government prefers to extradite them to the countries in which said crimes were committed so their courts, which are better equipped to deal with such cases, can deal with them. and they've been pretty successful at that.

So to reiterate:

I feel like someone once invented a song that explicitly tells us to blame Canada in every circumstance.

I also think it's more fair to say that that America has problematic Neo-Nazis, than America had a Neo-Nazi problem.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:15 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
I feel like someone once invented a song that explicitly tells us to blame Canada in every circumstance.

I also think it's more fair to say that that America has problematic Neo-Nazis, than America had a Neo-Nazi problem.
I feel like South Park isn't a good place for anyone to get their politics, what with their tendency to be a comedy show.

Eh, if the mice in your building are causing problems, your house has got a mouse problem, so I'm not sure that distinction is particularly meaningful. That said, I will amend my post by saying that it's a bit unfair of me to call it the US's neo-nazi problem, since it's not as though they're the only western country in which neo-nazis are active (to say nothing of the neo-nazi movements active in various asian countries).

Certainly, despite what some might claim, neither of the US's major political parties denies the Holocaust, or outright praises Hitler and/or the Nazis.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:17 PM

Poor Soldier

Quote:
I feel like South Park isn't a good place for anyone to get their politics, what with their tendency to be a comedy show.

Eh, if the mice in your building are causing problems, your house has got a mouse problem, so I'm not sure that distinction is particularly meaningful. That said, I will amend my post by saying that it's a bit unfair of me to call it the US's neo-nazi problem, since it's not as though they're the only western country in which neo-nazis are active (to say nothing of the neo-nazi movements active in various asian countries).

Certainly, despite what some might claim, neither of the US's major political parties denies the Holocaust, or outright praises Hitler and/or the Nazis.
You watch your dirty mouth. South Park is as good a show as any news program to base your opinions on in the US these days.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:02 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
I hate to be pedantic, as I find this entire line of back-and-forth discussion kind of stupid, but that would not be a literal third. You may continue.
His numbers, not mine. Well the third and 29% are.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:42 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:

So to reiterate:

Apparently the Confederate flag is a Canadian icon of cool kids being rebellious?

https://www.google.com/amp/nationalp...7628f3e672/amp

Sigh. Boring-ass, lazy Canadian teen rebels. If you see any Canadians flying the Stars and Bars (but not meaning to be racist), please redirect them to Mackenzie's flag:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Canada

Conservatives, liberals, everyone... there are a LOT of flags to choose from!
Old 08-21-2017, 02:12 PM

Poor Soldier

I'm gonna start flying it because it's used in Starcraft.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
I'm gonna start flying it because it's used in Starcraft.
Someone should compile a list of beloved classic games and movies that if made today would be "literally worse than Hitler."

Should make for a pretty lulzy vid or article.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:36 PM

Poor Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Someone should compile a list of beloved classic games and movies that if made today would be "literally worse than Hitler."

Should make for a pretty lulzy vid or article.
Indeed.

This Confederate statue stuff is a whole different, stupid animal though. It's pretty crazy that in their zealotry, people calling for unity are tearing down monuments that were meant to encourage and foster reconciliation in the South alongside the dumber, less meaningful statues. There's a reason we have Confederate soldiers buried in Arlington.

The flag doesn't carry any of those attributes though, looks dope in Starcraft though.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:44 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
You watch your dirty mouth. South Park is as good a show as any news program to base your opinions on in the US these days.
But the blame Canada episode was almost 20 years ago, wasn't it? Surely you don't mean to say Canada hasn't learned its lesson and is still the source of all that's wrong in the world?
Old 08-21-2017, 03:57 PM

Poor Soldier

Quote:
But the blame Canada episode was almost 20 years ago, wasn't it? Surely you don't mean to say Canada hasn't learned its lesson and is still the source of all that's wrong in the world?
All i know is nobody is that nice without something to hide.

All of that politeness and reason has gained you a position of authority, but what's your goal? I'm watchin you.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:00 PM

Elune

Quote:
Indeed.

This Confederate statue stuff is a whole different, stupid animal though. It's pretty crazy that in their zealotry, people calling for unity are tearing down monuments that were meant to encourage and foster reconciliation in the South alongside the dumber, less meaningful statues. There's a reason we have Confederate soldiers buried in Arlington.

The flag doesn't carry any of those attributes though, looks dope in Starcraft though.
There are graves for German soldiers from WWII. I always thought we had Confederate Soldier monuments for similar reasons.

These monuments don't say anything endorsing slavery or white supremacy do they?
Old 08-21-2017, 04:06 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Member #14
Old 08-21-2017, 04:33 PM

Poor Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
There are graves for German soldiers from WWII. I always thought we had Confederate Soldier monuments for similar reasons.

These monuments don't say anything endorsing slavery or white supremacy do they?
There are some that were put up for more nefarious reasons, but many of them were just recognition of the soldiers, of the duty they felt at the time. We had to do a lot back then to reconcile and become one nation again, a lot of these statues that were raised in the very early 1900s, after the Spanish-American War, a major healing point.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:45 PM

Elune

Quote:
There are some that were put up for more nefarious reasons, but many of them were just recognition of the soldiers, of the duty they felt at the time. We had to do a lot back then to reconcile and become one nation again, a lot of these statues that were raised in the very early 1900s, after the Spanish-American War, a major healing point.
Here's the timeline of when they were built:
https://www.splcenter.org/sites/defa...conography.jpg
Member #14
Old 08-21-2017, 04:53 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Movie. "Blame Canada!" is from the movie.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
Maybe we should ban the Democratic party for fighting for slavery, segregation, the KKK, and against giving women the right to vote. We could tear down their statues
Old 08-21-2017, 05:08 PM

Poor Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Maybe we should ban the Democratic party for fighting for slavery, segregation, the KKK, and against giving women the right to vote. We could tear down their statues
I like the way you think.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:13 PM

Elune

Might as well get rid of that statue in Seattle dedicated to that Republican guy Lenin. Those Republicans really did a number on the USSR and DPRK.
Member #14

Tags
realspace, serious business