Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2014, 03:53 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 03-14-2014, 03:07 PM

Eternal

^Pretty nice, I like her voice, but I don't like that guy there, kills the mood a bit for me. Though this reminds me that I've been meaning to give Wonder Girls a shot, any personal recommendations?

In the meantime, this is pretty awesome:

This is one of the songs that make me listen to it all day, the cool performance is a significant factor that makes this a very fun song. Didn't think CCM would give it's least favorite child something nice though it seems that their leader, Taewoon, had a hand in producing so that may have had something to do with it. I also found out he's Block B's Zico brother, which is something I kind of suspected the moment I heard this, since I knew Zico had a brother in CCM and Taewoon's voice is very, very similar to Zico's. It actually bugs me a little bit, I like Zico a lot but having what looks to be like something of a copy of his(and after reading a bit on it they're very similar to each other as far as their idol activities go) in CCM is a bit weird to me. Feels like Zico joined a new group <_<

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:20 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

How's the heavy metal scene in Korea? Did the power metal explosion in Japan of the 80s ever make it over there? I've never heard of any Korean metal bands and I can only count one Korean-American metal musician off the top of my head (three guesses as to who it is).
Old 03-20-2014, 06:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
^Pretty nice, I like her voice, but I don't like that guy there, kills the mood a bit for me. Though this reminds me that I've been meaning to give Wonder Girls a shot, any personal recommendations?
I'm not really the guy to go for about Wonder Girls. I guess the main thing to know is that they're basically a dead group now, despite being top tier for a while. JYP tried really, really hard to push them in USA and failed horribly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
How's the heavy metal scene in Korea? Did the power metal explosion in Japan of the 80s ever make it over there? I've never heard of any Korean metal bands and I can only count one Korean-American metal musician off the top of my head (three guesses as to who it is).
You know, I've honestly not looked into it.
http://seoulbeats.com/2012/06/discov...-a-rocky-road/
http://noisecreep.com/korean-heavy-metal-bands/

Quote:
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 03-29-2014, 04:23 PM

Eternal

It's cheap and horribly edited(another sign of CCM not giving much of a fuck about Speed) but I love this song, these guys are really growing on me. It's a pity they're in CCM, and thus badly managed, but at least they have Taewoon as their leader. This guy has his bro's knack for making addictive songs if this album is any indication.
Can't wait to see more from them.

Quote:
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:19 PM

Eternal

Pretty nice. Zico is probably my favorite male k-pop rapper and Hyuna's cool in her own way.

A bit try hard but it's working for me, kinda. Really like the dance at the end.

Quote:
Old 04-16-2014, 04:23 PM

Eternal

Not exactly k-pop but I really like these. E.via, now Tymee, is pretty awesome, I can see why she's called Korea's fastest rapper.

Quote:
Old 08-18-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Old 08-18-2014, 04:18 PM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

It's so reassuring to know that commercial music has turned to absolute crap and a parody of itself all over the world, regardless of regional culture.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
It's so reassuring to know that commercial music has turned to absolute crap and a parody of itself all over the world, regardless of regional culture.
I don't remember you but I do probably still have the power to ban you.

Quote:
Old 12-01-2015, 10:15 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE....

this one is catchy... video is kinda WTF tho...

Old 12-01-2015, 10:19 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

The rates of plastic surgery in south Korea creep me out
Old 12-01-2015, 10:56 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
The rates of plastic surgery in south Korea creep me out
Probably not any higher than it is in California, and it's not that much more populous, so...
Old 12-02-2015, 09:17 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Probably not any higher than it is in California, and it's not that much more populous, so...
I don't think that contradicts his point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:17 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I don't think that contradicts his point.
... you're not wrong.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:31 AM

Second Generation K-Pop is basically falling apart. KARA and 4Minute have both disbanded. Both Girls Generation and 2NE1 have lost a member.

So, instead a girl group, here's something that just could be mistaken for one.

Quote:
Old 06-27-2016, 02:46 AM

Eternal

Yeah, second generation is on it's last legs. SNSD will probably still stay for a while but we'll probably get more solos than group comebacks, which I don't care for(SM solos are amazingly disappointing). The rest? Meh. Once T-ara disbands I don't think I'll care much for k-pop anymore, except maybe to check out Twice in JYP doesn't fuck them over. Everything else from this new generation is just too meh to me.
Then again I still have some hope for boy groups, mostly because of BTS/BAP/EXO(maybe) but honestly I'm not a big fan of how competitive k-pop has become. Not as much experimentation with different sounds as before because everyone's too afraid to try out something that the public might not like, and it's just such a pain interracting with other fans because everyone's obsessed with fucking charts, vocal talent(in pop music <_<) and generally rabid fandom competition. Anywho, here's some Hyo:

@Plastic surgery thing: Most plastic surgery procedures are pretty minimal from what I gather. Like double eyelid surgery and maybe a nose job. Most don't go that far with it overall, I think.

Quote:
Old 07-08-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
Yeah, second generation is on it's last legs. SNSD will probably still stay for a while but we'll probably get more solos than group comebacks, which I don't care for(SM solos are amazingly disappointing). The rest? Meh. Once T-ara disbands I don't think I'll care much for k-pop anymore, except maybe to check out Twice in JYP doesn't fuck them over. Everything else from this new generation is just too meh to me.
Then again I still have some hope for boy groups, mostly because of BTS/BAP/EXO(maybe) but honestly I'm not a big fan of how competitive k-pop has become. Not as much experimentation with different sounds as before because everyone's too afraid to try out something that the public might not like, and it's just such a pain interracting with other fans because everyone's obsessed with fucking charts, vocal talent(in pop music <_<) and generally rabid fandom competition. Anywho, here's some Hyo:
Eh, I haven't liked any of Twice's songs. I know that Black Eyed Pilseung (their producer) is successful, but every song by them I've heard has been somewhat mediocre. Nothing against the girls themselves – if JYP himself was producing tracks for them I'd probably like them.

Right now, the trend I don't like in K-Pop is SM going with a house style (both in terms of it dominating all their releases and, you know, being House music) for both sound and MV aesthetic. Visually, everything is late 80s throwback, and all their songs are this weird House style. I liked it with SHINee's View and f(x)'s 4walls, but since then its really been driving me away from their releases.

I agree that K-Pop fan communities are pretty obnoxious. I go to r/kpop just so I find new releases while avoiding most of the bullshit, but the rare times I make the mistake of going in the comments I regret it.

As far as modern girl groups... Yezi gives me an interest in Fiestar which so far hasn't quite paid off. (All their voices are too similar for any to catch my attention). I liked Apple Pie, but it isn't anything to inspire dedicated fandom.

I do really like EXID, though. Not too many members, so its not hard to keep track of things. All of their voices are really distinctive, too. And they're produced by Shinsadong Tiger – the producer that made some of T-ARA's biggest hits (Roly-Poly).

There was a time when I really thought that AOA was going to be my new favorites – but it terns out that was just AOA Black. Brave Bros produced them for a while, and I hate almost everything they do. ChoA and Yuna have great voices, but Heart Attack was the first song from them I'd liked in years. Good Luck (https://youtu be/sno_genwMz8) is okay, but I feel like FNC started phoning in all their AOA stuff once they realized the League of Legends players would eat up anything they did because they're hot. (Incidentally, AOA has the most obnoxious fanbase). Their newest Japanese song is miles ahead of their Korean stuff.

Wonder Girls are alive again, and... they're a band now. So, they're basically what I hoped AOA would be. Well, not really, but its interesting. Their first comeback was produced by JYP (https://youtu be/V9QXQz6uE0M), but apparently one of their members produced their newest song. Which is cool.

Brown Eyed Girls released music last year (https://youtu be/8fMnBrts2cg), which means it'll probably be another year until we get anything new from them. Unless they retire, which is plausible. Miryo is going to be in Unpretty Rapstar 3, which hopefully won't be a train wreck for her.

T-ARA is apparently massive in China now, so hopefully that keeps them around for a while.

Quote:
Old 07-08-2016, 04:35 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Now that you are back, Ive always wondered who was the girl in you avatars.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:25 PM

Eternal

To be honest I only really listened to one EXID song and while I did like it a bit(can't remember the name now) it wasn't as great as T-ara's hits, so I stopped checking them out. I planned on checking their progress but their rapper's voice(L.E?) is a bit annoying to me and I assumed Hani, their popular member, would have more and more of a role in their songs, and I'm not fond of popular members hogging the spotlight. But I suppose I should give them another chance; there's not much else to do besides quit k-pop =(.

And I had high hopes for AOA too, I really got hooked on them despite the Brave brother production, but outside of Choa and Jimin, their voices just lack character imo. Tt least that's how it feels after listening to their songs for a longer period of time(used to love Yuna), and they are so fan service-y that it gets annoying. I don't mind fan service at all, and they are really hot, but at some point it just makes them look like a cheap group that can only go by being sexy, and I think they deserve more. It also doesn't help that FNC are giving Seolhyun all the spotlight because of her popularity, even though she's probably the laziest and blandest member, though not in terms of looks. In my experience it's her fans that tend to make the whole fandom an annoying piece of work. I probably will still check on them for Choa and Jimin though.

And T-ara's popularity in China is way overblown. They're doing well so far because of a lack of proper competition, and have a fairly steady fandom there, which has also helped Hyomin's sales in Korea a bit, but they're nowhere near as big as some international fans like to brag. Their concert sales say it all, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
Now that you are back, Ive always wondered who was the girl in you avatars.
You didn't ask me but I figured I'd answer. That's Park Gyuri from Kara; formerly anyway.

Quote:

Last edited by Royalpimp; 07-08-2016 at 06:30 PM..
Old 08-13-2016, 03:11 AM

Eternal

I didn't like this much at first because it reminds me a lot of Big Bang's ''Bang bang bang'', and I'm a bit tired of YG's sound in general, but this grew on me pretty quick. Really nice voices, visuals, and it's just has that energetic, high quality sound that made me fall in love with k-pop. That the girls also seem to be enjoying themselves is a big plus too.
Honestly they remind me of 2NE1 quite a bit, more than I expected.
Main rapper leader with an attitude like CL? Check.
Second rapper that is also main dancer, who moves around when doing her parts like Minzy? Check.
Main vocalist sounds similar to Bom? I'd say so, though it's a bit of a stretch.
Visual looks like Dara? Check.

Now if only they'd get some songs that sound more like classic 2NE1 and less like modern Big Bang.

Quote:

Last edited by Royalpimp; 08-13-2016 at 03:13 AM..
Old 08-13-2016, 08:21 PM

Eh, there's something I really don't like about BlackPink.
They're basically just a replacement 2NE1 with SM-style visuals and voices. Boombayah, especially viewing the video, seems to me like what 2NE1 would have released if they'd jumped on the copycat parade that followed I Got A Boy.
Neither Boombayah nor Whistle inspired repeat listens for me. But then again, I never got into debut 2NE1 material (or much any beside IATB), so I figure I'll give them a shot whenever they comeback next.

Quote:
Old 06-06-2019, 06:14 PM

Slow

I'm raising this from the dead for the good of mankind.

Aside from that, it's been a rough time for K-Pop since this thread last lived. Jonghyun, a member of SHINee, committed suicide, and recently KARA's Koo Hara attempted suicide. Outside of a few stragglers, pretty much all Second Generation K-Pop groups have either disbanded in actuality (2NE1, KARA, Wonder Girls. 4Minute), or in practice (SNSD, T-ARA, f(x), EXID soon). HyunA got kicked out of her agency for having a boyfriend.

Most of all, there's the Burning Sun scandal. Amongst a lot of stuff like tax evasion and embezzlement, an assortment of male celebrities were caught sharing nonconsensual pornography. Several have been brought to court already. Seungri of BigBang has been credibly accused of many different things, including the procurement of prostitutes, and has left the group and the industry. It's not threatening to bring down the founder and CEO of YG Entertainment himself.

Twice, Blackpink and Red Velvet are now the big three girl groups. As for boy groups, BTS has seen a meteoric rise in popularity. They've even managed to get a fairly stead stream of promotions in the USA.

Quote:
Old 06-06-2019, 08:52 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

I'm never a fan of Korean actors or drama, even when the most famous one has come to my city when I was little.

But I found Claudia Kim very pretty and intelligent on screen since Avengers 2.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:39 PM

Twice had a comeback. They're still very successful.

Dreamcatcher is cool.

SM made a crossover group of SHINee, EXO, and NCT to distract from their CEO embezzling profits.

Quote:

Tags
cute, korea, music, south korea is best korea