Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > General Blizzard Discussion

Old 10-08-2019, 11:06 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Default This is a bad look, Blizzard...

Old 10-08-2019, 01:28 PM

Guru of Gilneas

I was wondering if anyone was talking about it on the forums, and definitely not good press to get before BlizzCon.

I uninstalled my Blizzard games.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:06 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Old 10-08-2019, 02:53 PM

Arch-Druid

I don't know what the hell they were thinking.
I understand the fact that as a business they don't want to get banned in China.
But they went full Mao and badly burned their brand.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:01 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

I am a liberal and American.

But I don't think you can judge something without hearing from both sides. It's not like you can say anything in the US as well. I remember H&M got attacked for racism when they put a "coolest monkey in the jungle" shirt on a kid, even his mom said it's not racism.

As for this, I think the problem is that you can have political opinion, but it's not good to express it in your workplace. Ppl came here to watch games, not to hear this.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:44 PM

Elune

Blizzard is a company that often broke new ground.

This time they have broken the record in corporate whoring out to Chinese money.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:59 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

As I've said elsewhere...
They don't care. For every one of you nerds who why and cry about this, 10 more will line up to buy more lootboxes from Activision-Blizzard. I doubt many of you are cancelling your WoW subs over this.
Even if a few do, who cares? You're not their primary market. There's far, far more money in appealing to the Chinese. This is what they have to do to play ball there.

They would be absolutely stupid not to do this.
Member #14
Old 10-08-2019, 10:08 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Ugh, fuck off Blizzard.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:20 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
I don't know what the hell they were thinking.
I understand the fact that as a business they don't want to get banned in China.
But they went full Mao and badly burned their brand.
Tencent owns 5 percent of Blizzard-Activision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
As for this, I think the problem is that you can have political opinion, but it's not good to express it in your workplace. Ppl came here to watch games, not to hear this.
Some of the most powerful moments in sports in history that we remember are when people stood and made a political message despite the fact that "people came here to watch games, not to hear this."
Old 10-09-2019, 09:12 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Some of the most powerful moments in sports in history that we remember are when people stood and made a political message despite the fact that "people came here to watch games, not to hear this."
I disagree, the most powerful moments are mostly just sports. Even when I agree with some athlete/actor's opinion, I don't think they should use the sporting field/movie to show it. It's simply not a place to do it.

I feel very sad these days since I stood between China and US, the two very different group of ppl who both attack each other due to different value and understanding.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:16 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
I disagree, the most powerful moments are mostly just sports. Even when I agree with some athlete/actor's opinion, I don't think they should use the sporting field/movie to show it. It's simply not a place to do it.
You're wrong and a stooge.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:20 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
You're wrong and a stooge.
How? Many sports organization has rules for it. It's just not a place to do it.

Your political opinion might hurt those who have different opinions or those who simply want to enjoy sports and get away with dirty politics. Athletes/Actors are not politicians as well, they are not more professional than others.

I'm not simply talking about this incident, it's my overall stance against such things. I don't like Trump but I don't think the athletes should express their anti Trump opinion on the field.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:46 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
How? Many sports organization has rules for it. It's just not a place to do it.

Your political opinion might hurt those who have different opinions or those who simply want to enjoy sports and get away with dirty politics. Athletes/Actors are not politicians as well, they are not more professional than others.
"Will no one think about poor China and their hurt feelings?"

Quote:
I'm not simply talking about this incident, it's my overall stance against such things. I don't like Trump but I don't think the athletes should express their anti Trump opinion on the field.
Your stance is abhorrently illiberal, whether that is classic liberalism or progressive liberalism.

The NBA was all about supporting their players taking political stands until a GM for the Houston Rockets made a pro-Hong Kong tweet. So clearly it's about appeasing Chinese autocrats just as it is here too.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:48 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
"Will no one think about poor China and their hurt feelings?"
Different groups have different opinions, many Chinese fans like Blizzard, they came to see the gameplay, not to be offended by opposite political opinions.

Quote:
Your stance is abhorrently illiberal, whether that is classic liberalism or progressive liberalism.

The NBA was all about supporting their players taking political stands until a GM for the Houston Rockets made a pro-Hong Kong tweet. So clearly it's about appeasing Chinese autocrats just as it is here too.
Why is it illiberal? Liberal is never about say whatever you want to say whenever you want to say.

Many of the NBA players or ESPN reporters also said they shouldn't talk about politics and need to think of consequences of it, and they should focus on basketball.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:33 PM

Arch-Druid

"You should only protest where no one can hear or see you."
Old 10-10-2019, 04:56 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

I’m gonna own that I’m not informed enough to comment on the situation in Hong Kong. There are other issues that press my mind more.

I’m going to say that as a private company, if Blizzard doesn’t want to associate themselves with a political movement, that’s their business.

On the other hand, if we as consumers dislike how they conduct their business, we don’t have to do business with them.

After last year’s BlizzCon, I’m betting they really want a good BlizzCon this year. So, how many people will boycott Blizzcon, or specific events at Blizzcon? How many of those going to BlizzCon will now go as protesters, and would that cause more damage than lost subscribers or uninstalled games on a home computer? I wonder if other pro-Hearthstone players will show solidarity with Blitzchung? Will they be cowed by his example, or moved by it?
Old 10-10-2019, 09:14 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
I’m gonna own that I’m not informed enough to comment on the situation in Hong Kong. There are other issues that press my mind more.

I’m going to say that as a private company, if Blizzard doesn’t want to associate themselves with a political movement, that’s their business.

On the other hand, if we as consumers dislike how they conduct their business, we don’t have to do business with them.

After last year’s BlizzCon, I’m betting they really want a good BlizzCon this year. So, how many people will boycott Blizzcon, or specific events at Blizzcon? How many of those going to BlizzCon will now go as protesters, and would that cause more damage than lost subscribers or uninstalled games on a home computer? I wonder if other pro-Hearthstone players will show solidarity with Blitzchung? Will they be cowed by his example, or moved by it?
I really appreciate your stance and comment, thanks.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:35 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:19 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

There is a difference between a slap on the wrist for making a political statement, and utterly destroying the young man's career over it.

This, combined with the NBA's ass-kissing of late, makes me wish Trump would pound China into dust with tariffs now.

Fuck this rule that companies can't do business with China without them having ownership. That's horse shit, and we never should have agreed to it.

Thanks, Clinton...
Old 10-11-2019, 09:06 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Hello Blizzard Community . . .

I want to take a few minutes to talk to all of you about the Hearthstone Grandmasters tournament this past weekend. On Monday, we made the decision to take action against a player named blitzchung and two shoutcasters after the player shared his views on what’s happening in Hong Kong on our official broadcast channel.

At Blizzard, our vision is “to bring the world together through epic entertainment.” And we have core values that apply here: Think Globally; Lead Responsibly; and importantly, Every Voice Matters, encouraging everybody to share their point of view. The actions that we took over the weekend are causing people to question if we are still committed to these values. We absolutely are and I will explain.

Our esports programs are an expression of our vision and our values. Esports exist to create opportunities for players from around the world, from different cultures, and from different backgrounds, to come together to compete and share their passion for gaming. It is extremely important to us to protect these channels and the purpose they serve: to bring the world together through epic entertainment, celebrate our players, and build diverse and inclusive communities.

As to how those values apply in this case:

First, our official esports tournament broadcast was used as a platform for a winner of this event to share his views with the world.

We interview competitors who are at the top of their craft to share how they feel. We want to experience that moment with them. Hearing their excitement is a powerful way to bring us together.

Over the weekend, blitzchung used his segment to make a statement about the situation in Hong Kong—in violation of rules he acknowledged and understood, and this is why we took action.

Every Voice Matters, and we strongly encourage everyone in our community to share their viewpoints in the many places available to express themselves. However, the official broadcast needs to be about the tournament and to be a place where all are welcome. In support of that, we want to keep the official channels focused on the game.

Second, what is the role of shoutcasters for these broadcasts?

We hire shoutcasters to amplify the excitement of the game. They elevate the watchability and help the esports viewing experience stay focused on the tournament and our amazing players.

Third, were our actions based on the content of the message?

Part of Thinking Globally, Leading Responsibly, and Every Voice Matters is recognizing that we have players and fans in almost every country in the world. Our goal is to help players connect in areas of commonality, like their passion for our games, and create a sense of shared community.

The specific views expressed by blitzchung were NOT a factor in the decision we made. I want to be clear: our relationships in China had no influence on our decision.

We have these rules to keep the focus on the game and on the tournament to the benefit of a global audience, and that was the only consideration in the actions we took.

If this had been the opposing viewpoint delivered in the same divisive and deliberate way, we would have felt and acted the same.

OK, what could Blizzard have done better, and where do we go from here?

Over the past few days, many players, casters, esports fans, and employees have expressed concerns about how we determined the penalties. We’ve had a chance to pause, to listen to our community, and to reflect on what we could have done better. In hindsight, our process wasn’t adequate, and we reacted too quickly.

We want to ensure that we maintain a safe and inclusive environment for all our players, and that our rules and processes are clear. All of this is in service of another important Blizzard value—Play Nice; Play Fair.

In the tournament itself blitzchung *played* fair. We now believe he should receive his prizing. We understand that for some this is not about the prize, and perhaps for others it is disrespectful to even discuss it. That is not our intention.

But playing fair also includes appropriate pre-and post-match conduct, especially when a player accepts recognition for winning in a broadcast. When we think about the suspension, six months for blitzchung is more appropriate, after which time he can compete in the Hearthstone pro circuit again if he so chooses. There is a consequence for taking the conversation away from the purpose of the event and disrupting or derailing the broadcast.

With regard to the casters, remember their purpose is to keep the event focused on the tournament. That didn’t happen here, and we are setting their suspension to six months as well.

Moving forward, we will continue to apply tournament rules to ensure our official broadcasts remain focused on the game and are not a platform for divisive social or political views.

One of our goals at Blizzard is to make sure that every player, everywhere in the world, regardless of political views, religious beliefs, race, gender, or any other consideration always feels safe and welcome both competing in and playing our games.

At Blizzard, we are always listening and finding ways to improve—it is part of our culture. Thank you for your patience with us as we continue to learn.

Sincerely,

J. Allen Brack
President of Blizzard Entertainment
Old 10-12-2019, 01:39 AM

Elune

Just milquetoast damage control. They haven't learned their lesson at all. Not that I would expect that, Blizz like Google before it gave in to corporate greed following a promising start. They are just like any other company now, whatever magic or energy old Blizz had is long gone now.

Last edited by C9H20; 10-12-2019 at 01:42 AM..
Old 10-12-2019, 03:32 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Just milquetoast damage control. They haven't learned their lesson at all. Not that I would expect that, Blizz like Google before it gave in to corporate greed following a promising start. They are just like any other company now, whatever magic or energy old Blizz had is long gone now.
Yep. Too little, too late.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:30 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I want to be clear: our relationships in China had no influence on our decision
We've always been at war with eastasia
Old 10-12-2019, 08:04 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Hello Blizzard Community . . .

I want to take a few minutes to talk to all of you about the Hearthstone Grandmasters tournament this past weekend. On Monday, we made the decision to take action against a player named blitzchung and two shoutcasters after the player shared his views on what’s happening in Hong Kong on our official broadcast channel.

At Blizzard, our vision is “to bring the world together through epic entertainment.” And we have core values that apply here: Think Globally; Lead Responsibly; and importantly, Every Voice Matters, encouraging everybody to share their point of view. The actions that we took over the weekend are causing people to question if we are still committed to these values. We absolutely are and I will explain.

Our esports programs are an expression of our vision and our values. Esports exist to create opportunities for players from around the world, from different cultures, and from different backgrounds, to come together to compete and share their passion for gaming. It is extremely important to us to protect these channels and the purpose they serve: to bring the world together through epic entertainment, celebrate our players, and build diverse and inclusive communities.

As to how those values apply in this case:

First, our official esports tournament broadcast was used as a platform for a winner of this event to share his views with the world.

We interview competitors who are at the top of their craft to share how they feel. We want to experience that moment with them. Hearing their excitement is a powerful way to bring us together.

Over the weekend, blitzchung used his segment to make a statement about the situation in Hong Kong—in violation of rules he acknowledged and understood, and this is why we took action.

Every Voice Matters, and we strongly encourage everyone in our community to share their viewpoints in the many places available to express themselves. However, the official broadcast needs to be about the tournament and to be a place where all are welcome. In support of that, we want to keep the official channels focused on the game.

Second, what is the role of shoutcasters for these broadcasts?

We hire shoutcasters to amplify the excitement of the game. They elevate the watchability and help the esports viewing experience stay focused on the tournament and our amazing players.

Third, were our actions based on the content of the message?

Part of Thinking Globally, Leading Responsibly, and Every Voice Matters is recognizing that we have players and fans in almost every country in the world. Our goal is to help players connect in areas of commonality, like their passion for our games, and create a sense of shared community.

The specific views expressed by blitzchung were NOT a factor in the decision we made. I want to be clear: our relationships in China had no influence on our decision.

We have these rules to keep the focus on the game and on the tournament to the benefit of a global audience, and that was the only consideration in the actions we took.

If this had been the opposing viewpoint delivered in the same divisive and deliberate way, we would have felt and acted the same.

OK, what could Blizzard have done better, and where do we go from here?

Over the past few days, many players, casters, esports fans, and employees have expressed concerns about how we determined the penalties. We’ve had a chance to pause, to listen to our community, and to reflect on what we could have done better. In hindsight, our process wasn’t adequate, and we reacted too quickly.

We want to ensure that we maintain a safe and inclusive environment for all our players, and that our rules and processes are clear. All of this is in service of another important Blizzard value—Play Nice; Play Fair.

In the tournament itself blitzchung *played* fair. We now believe he should receive his prizing. We understand that for some this is not about the prize, and perhaps for others it is disrespectful to even discuss it. That is not our intention.

But playing fair also includes appropriate pre-and post-match conduct, especially when a player accepts recognition for winning in a broadcast. When we think about the suspension, six months for blitzchung is more appropriate, after which time he can compete in the Hearthstone pro circuit again if he so chooses. There is a consequence for taking the conversation away from the purpose of the event and disrupting or derailing the broadcast.

With regard to the casters, remember their purpose is to keep the event focused on the tournament. That didn’t happen here, and we are setting their suspension to six months as well.

Moving forward, we will continue to apply tournament rules to ensure our official broadcasts remain focused on the game and are not a platform for divisive social or political views.

One of our goals at Blizzard is to make sure that every player, everywhere in the world, regardless of political views, religious beliefs, race, gender, or any other consideration always feels safe and welcome both competing in and playing our games.

At Blizzard, we are always listening and finding ways to improve—it is part of our culture. Thank you for your patience with us as we continue to learn.

Sincerely,

J. Allen Brack
President of Blizzard Entertainment

Last edited by Nazja; 10-12-2019 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: Edited to allow embedding.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:46 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
There is a difference between a slap on the wrist for making a political statement, and utterly destroying the young man's career over it.

This, combined with the NBA's ass-kissing of late, makes me wish Trump would pound China into dust with tariffs now.

Fuck this rule that companies can't do business with China without them having ownership. That's horse shit, and we never should have agreed to it.

Thanks, Clinton...
So they have toned down the punishment, I think it's not destroying someone's career now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post

NBA didn't punish such statement so now Catalonia flag(with the blue triangle) has been shown in the Spain preseason game and many Spain fans were angry. That's what you want to see? More and more political shit showing in sports and game?