Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 11-01-2019, 06:05 PM

Banished

Default Do you prefer Metzen or Furor's characterization?

I think Metzen went too black/white, he simply smashes the opposite side completely left nothing.

Furor is different, his characterization was based on fan's popularity
and to create drama between the 2 factions.

I think neither was a good way of characterization or storytelling.

For example, Illidan was totally wasted in BC, and overwhitewashed in Legion.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:21 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

As far as I understand it: outside of classic WoW and a few quest lines here and there in some of the expansions, Metzen didn't do much directly when it came to working on World of WarCraft's story. he had a much more indirect managerial role.

So... this is kind of a misguided question to be honest. And to be honest, Metzen is a lot of things, but he definitely does not write things in a black & white fashion. StarCraft & WarCraft 3 (both of which he wrote almost entirely by himself) present incredibly morally ambiguous and often amoral world views.

Like I don't think Metzen had much of anything to do with how Illidan was portrayed in The Burning Crusade.

I think the best era of World of WarCraft's storytelling was probably Cataclysm & Mists of Pandaria, there were flaws and cracks but I think that's when the game series sort of game into it's own and I chalk a lot of that up to Dave Kosak.

Last edited by Aldrius; 11-01-2019 at 11:25 PM..
Old 11-02-2019, 09:23 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
As far as I understand it: outside of classic WoW and a few quest lines here and there in some of the expansions, Metzen didn't do much directly when it came to working on World of WarCraft's story. he had a much more indirect managerial role.

So... this is kind of a misguided question to be honest. And to be honest, Metzen is a lot of things, but he definitely does not write things in a black & white fashion. StarCraft & WarCraft 3 (both of which he wrote almost entirely by himself) present incredibly morally ambiguous and often amoral world views.

Like I don't think Metzen had much of anything to do with how Illidan was portrayed in The Burning Crusade.

I think the best era of World of WarCraft's storytelling was probably Cataclysm & Mists of Pandaria, there were flaws and cracks but I think that's when the game series sort of game into it's own and I chalk a lot of that up to Dave Kosak.
WOW lore under Metzen era is pretty much black/white.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:57 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
WOW lore under Metzen era is pretty much black/white.
I don't think that's true, besides that... isn't necessarily something you can attribute to Metzen when the game had two game directors who didn't give a damn about story or lore and in fact one of which ACTIVELY HATED the story.

So in the end you have a really simple narrative. You are a good guy, the stuff you are killing is a bad guy.

By Cataclysm and MoP (which is still part of the "Metzen era" I guess) everything was FAR more morally ambiguous.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:55 AM

Banished

Quote:
I don't think that's true, besides that... isn't necessarily something you can attribute to Metzen when the game had two game directors who didn't give a damn about story or lore and in fact one of which ACTIVELY HATED the story.

So in the end you have a really simple narrative. You are a good guy, the stuff you are killing is a bad guy.

By Cataclysm and MoP (which is still part of the "Metzen era" I guess) everything was FAR more morally ambiguous.
He is the story director, he's gonna be responsible, sure there are difficulties, but some of it can't be blamed for gameplay.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:55 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
He is the story director, he's gonna be responsible, sure there are difficulties, but some of it can't be blamed for gameplay.
Ultimately, maybe, but fundamentally there're dozens of people working on each expansions storyline. And Metzen hasn't actually written a script since the Frozen Throne. (I think MAYBE he co-wrote Wings of Liberty?)

So I think all we can maybe attribute to them is the overall premise of an expansion. But even then, the Game Director has a lot of input.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:34 AM

Banished

Quote:
Ultimately, maybe, but fundamentally there're dozens of people working on each expansions storyline. And Metzen hasn't actually written a script since the Frozen Throne. (I think MAYBE he co-wrote Wings of Liberty?)

So I think all we can maybe attribute to them is the overall premise of an expansion. But even then, the Game Director has a lot of input.
He also openly admitted some of ideas came from himself and proud of it. Especially the shit from BC.