Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 09-04-2014, 07:22 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Those suck too but you're kidding yourself if you think you can compare the power girl boob window to Captain America having a fit body.

Another big difference is that people generally want to -be- the male superheroes, they're Idealized, rather than objectified.
But even women like the looks of boobs! Or something. I dunno.

PG is boring.

The character, not the rating.

Quote:
Assault on Arkham features The Wall. In all her badass glory.
I know.. T'was awesome. Though..I do have to say..

The whole sex nudity hot levels of that movie was really kinda unexpected. But go frosty and manshark. Cutest couple evar.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Those suck too but you're kidding yourself if you think you can compare the power girl boob window to Captain America having a fit body. Another big difference is that people generally want to -be- the male superheroes, they're Idealized, rather than objectified.
Then why aren't lonely male nerds allowed to have sexy women on their comics?
Old 09-04-2014, 07:25 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Quote:
Those suck too but you're kidding yourself if you think you can compare the power girl boob window to Captain America having a fit body.

Another big difference is that people generally want to -be- the male superheroes, they're Idealized, rather than objectified.
You're bullshitting pretty hard if you don't think Thor/Captain Amercia(movies) weren't used as eyecandy for women.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:28 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
That was a good movie.
Why are these men angry Anansi?
Old 09-04-2014, 07:30 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Why are these men angry Anansi?
Because they're stumbling blindly in a dark and frightening world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:38 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Because they're stumbling blindly in a dark and frightening world.
Are you guys really offended by Thor and Captain America?
Old 09-04-2014, 07:38 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

What is wrong with people?

Seriously dude...

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:40 PM

Elune

I like how her response to being told dude came in her coffee was "I knew it" and not "Ohh god drink acid"
Old 09-04-2014, 07:41 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
You're bullshitting pretty hard if you don't think Thor/Captain Amercia(movies) weren't used as eyecandy for women.
They absolutely were. I never said they weren't, and I'm pretty tired of you putting words in my mouth literally every time you post regarding me.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 09-04-2014, 07:43 PM

Elune

Are shirtless men comparable to shirtless woman when it comes to ladies?

If not, why not?

Exism, imho.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:45 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Are shirtless men comparable to shirtless woman when it comes to ladies?

If not, why not?

Exism, imho.
Idealization =/= Objectification.

Being an unrealistic goalpost is not the same as being an unhealthy one.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-04-2014, 07:49 PM

Elune

Quote:
Idealization =/= Objectification.

Being an unrealistic goalpost is not the same as being an unhealthy one.
So woman see a shirtless guy and want to be him, but men see a shirtless woman and want to own her?
Old 09-04-2014, 07:49 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Are you guys really offended by Thor and Captain America?
People will be offended by just about anything if it suits their purposes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:52 PM

Elune

Quote:
So woman see a shirtless guy and want to be him, but men see a shirtless woman and want to own her?
By own do you mean adore?
Old 09-04-2014, 07:54 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Shirtless guys are fanservice for women, just like scantily clad women are fanservice for men.

But Shirtless Guys still get to have character beyond that, whereas generally the women don't have much personality beyond the fanservice, if they're even main characters, except to fawn over the male characters.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...cation-And-Men

http://dbzer0.com/blog/but-men-are-s...jectified-too/

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-04-2014, 07:56 PM

Elune

Quote:
By own do you mean adore?
Own is perhaps the wrong word, but I mean "stops seeing the woman as a person, and just sees her tits, like it somehow makes her less human"

Why can't men appreciate a womans breasts and still respect her as a person every bit as much? Why are the two treated as mutually exclusive?

Why is it ok in a PG world to show shirtless men but not shirtless woman?

Do woman not get excited at a well formed torso? Are they not attracted to a pair of nice shoulders when a man has been blessed with a good form?

Why is it different when men do it, compared to women?

Shirtless guys are fanservice for women, just like scantily clad women are fanservice for men.

Quote:
But Shirtless Guys still get to have character beyond that, whereas generally the women don't have much personality beyond the fanservice, if they're even main characters, except to fawn over the male characters.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...cation-And-Men

http://dbzer0.com/blog/but-men-are-s...jectified-too/
Generally the men don't have much of a personality either, so let's not act like they do.

Why isn't THAT part of it ever pointed out? Do you think Spiderman's core personality is any less developed than say, Powergirls?

She's her own character, with her own desires.. Or is it more than Spiderman was just a better idea, and he happened to be male, so in comparison, everyone just says PG has no personality because she's nothing but a pair of tits?

Last edited by Ruinshin; 09-04-2014 at 07:59 PM..
Old 09-04-2014, 07:57 PM

Elune

Showing skin is bad guys. But we have the solution.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:03 PM

World Builder

Quote:

Generally the men don't have much of a personality either, so let's not act like they do.

Why isn't THAT part of it ever pointed out? Do you think Spiderman's core personality is any less developed than say, Powergirls?

She's her own character, with her own desires.. Or is it more than Spiderman was just a better idea, and he happened to be male, so in comparison, everyone just says PG has no personality because she's nothing but a pair of tits?
I've never read any powergirl comics so I can't say but I think it's wrong to say male characters don't have much personality, shitting on every guy comic character's writing ever just to say they aren't sexist is kinda dumb.

And honestly, how many guys have given a damn about the physical standards in media except to use them as an example to make women shut up about objectification in media?

It's just flat out not the same.

Yeah action/adventure media characters are ripped or handsome but look at shit like family guy and king of queens and other nonsense, the standards are much more relaxed for men than for women.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-04-2014, 08:09 PM

Elune

Quote:
Own is perhaps the wrong word, but I mean "stops seeing the woman as a person, and just sees her tits, like it somehow makes her less human"

Why can't men appreciate a womans breasts and still respect her as a person every bit as much? Why are the two treated as mutually exclusive?

Why is it ok in a PG world to show shirtless men but not shirtless woman?

Do woman not get excited at a well formed torso? Are they not attracted to a pair of nice shoulders when a man has been blessed with a good form?

Why is it different when men do it, compared to women?
Well you made her less human when you said own! Women do dress to draw attention to certain parts of their body and women are self-conscious about how people perceive them. Men are typically a lot more visually oriented than women are and women care more about the way they look. Shouldn't sex though just be part of the relationship between men and women and not all of it?

Female breasts are more of a sexual organ than male breasts. Males don't get the same sort of sexual stimulation when their breasts are touched that females do. Breasts are also capable of nourishing infants. Do you really not know the difference between male and female breasts? In cultures where breasts are always exposed people became desensitized to them and less attracted to them.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:30 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Female breasts are more of a sexual organ than male breasts. Males don't get the same sort of sexual stimulation when their breasts are touched that females do. Breasts are also capable of nourishing infants. Do you really not know the difference between male and female breasts? In cultures where breasts are always exposed people became desensitized to them and less attracted to them.
Do they become desensitized to them or are they just not sexualized in the first place?

You know the forbidden fruit is the most desirable.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:38 PM

Elune

If men and women didn't want to have sex the species would fail. I am sure a lot of it is innate.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:38 PM

Elune

Quote:
I've never read any powergirl comics so I can't say but I think it's wrong to say male characters don't have much personality, shitting on every guy comic character's writing ever just to say they aren't sexist is kinda dumb.
But it's largely true. Complex characters, true complex characters, are a rarity in the industry.

Quote:
And honestly, how many guys have given a damn about the physical standards in media except to use them as an example to make women shut up about objectification in media?
In the same vein, how many women have given a damn about the physical standards in the media except to use them as an example to prove their point, and THEN use men's standards as some sort of counterpoint.

More, why is it always the "attractive" superheroes and heroines that are used to prove a point, while the more ugly ones, like Wolverine (comic, where he's a short hairy mother fucker), swamp-thing, Man-Thing, Marrina, and others are, Deadpool, Spawn, Arm Fall Off Boy, ect

Now, we can certainly go on, and even make the case that there should be more female heroes, ranging from ugly to gorgeous with an awesome power set and all.

But you know what? What's the point?

New heroes have to have a sticking point. A place to belong. Doing is incredibly difficult in a bloated world.

The comic book industry is in need of new blood, ideas, and worlds, and THAT is what will fix the "sexism" in the industry, because right now it doesn't exist. It's just the illusion of it existing, and 50 years of comics following a semi-constant art direction.

Quote:
It's just flat out not the same.
It IS the same, and women and equal rights peeps don't get to say it's not because they don't feel like it's not.

It's what's called a double standard, and it's silly to try and say it's anything else.

Quote:
Yeah action/adventure media characters are ripped or handsome but look at shit like family guy and king of queens and other nonsense, the standards are much more relaxed for men than for women.
Peter Griffon is intentionally made to be an unlikable ass. Same with quagmire. The only GOOD guy in family guy is Joe, and his wife cheats on him because he can't make love to her.

King of Queens, Kevin James is nowhere near as bad shape as he gets played up to be when this is brought up. His body type matches that, and truth is, he's not an ugly guy even with it. It's not double standard or relaxed standards. He's just not an ugly guy.

Now, do the rules apply more to woman than men there?

Ehh. Sure, why not.

Of course they do. But it's got nothing to do with "sexism" or catering to the male taste.

It's easier and more natural looking for a man to be grossly out of shape and not look it than a woman.

Their curves, proportions,ect all change much more noticeably.

Guys? depending on body type, they can gain or lose 20 pounds without it being noticeable. The fat goes to different places.

The argument COULD be made that it's our current standards of attractiveness that cause that to be an issue....But it's a pretty moot point that extends to both sexes.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:48 PM

Elune

Sorry if this is a double post...

Quote:
This is false.

Men DO have nerves and everything else, and the nipple of the male has the same sensory sensitivity as female breasts. A soothing, hard rub across the chest is also pretty relaxing/stimulating if done right.

It's purely a cultural thing that men don't like the feeling. Female breasts are sexualized, and male breasts are not. But in reality they are, just in different ways.

Well formed chests, either male or female, are a sign of potential good genes and strength.

But one is such a cultural norm that it's taboo to look at it.

It's sort of like sex.

It doesn't REALLY hurt woman the first time they have sex.

But it's so ingrained into culture, that it hurts woman the first time they have sex because they THINK its going to hurt.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:55 PM

Elune

Shut up your nipples are useless.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:57 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Shut up your nipples are useless.
I am laughing so damn hard it hurts, why did you do this to me PJ?

My Worldbuilding:

Tags
feminism, poisoned well, serious business