Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2011, 01:44 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Default The Wise Man's Fear

Book Two of Patrick Rothfuss' "Kingkiller Chronicles" is out.
http://www.amazon.com/Wise-Mans-Fear.../dp/0756404738

Anyone else reading it?

If you like to read, and you're on this board, you should read these books.

Rothfuss is an author on an entirely different level from most of today's fantasy authors. His stuff is, quite simply, way better than anything else out there right now.

I would love nothing more than to see Blizzard drive a truckload of money to his house and have him sign a contract for a few Warcraft novels.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:04 PM

The Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Book Two of Patrick Rothfuss' "Kingkiller Chronicles" is out.
Well fuck, I had a feeling there was something I was forgetting to do today.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:08 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
Well fuck, I had a feeling there was something I was forgetting to do today.

You can still get it half-price at Amazon... I got mine in a day, even with standard shipping.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:10 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

What's his story about?
Old 03-03-2011, 05:24 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
What's his story about?
http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2011...tory-thus-far/

Not a "serious" synopsis... has a few spoilers... but otherwise amusing and accurate.

Imagine, if you will, if Rhonin were written by an author not named Knaak.

And if he were truly awesome.

That's Kvothe.

These books are so damned good I'm honestly scared Rothfuss will get hit by an ice cream truck and die before he'll finish the last one. It is the one novel I put on my "must-buy" list this year.

(ok, the new Dresden novel is also on there, but it's a distant second)
Old 03-03-2011, 05:30 PM

Elune

Quote:
http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2011...tory-thus-far/

Not a "serious" synopsis... has a few spoilers... but otherwise amusing and accurate.

Imagine, if you will, if Rhonin were written by an author not named Knaak.

And if he were truly awesome.

That's Kvothe.

These books are so damned good I'm honestly scared Rothfuss will get hit by an ice cream truck and die before he'll finish the last one. It is the one novel I put on my "must-buy" list this year.

(ok, the new Dresden novel is also on there, but it's a distant second)
I fear that the same will happen to Oda, until he finishes one piece some years down the line

Seems like a interesting story

Last edited by Ashendant; 03-03-2011 at 05:36 PM..
Old 03-03-2011, 10:38 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
I fear that the same will happen to Oda, until he finishes one piece some years down the line

Seems like a interesting story
I think anyone who likes Warcraft lore will enjoy it immensely.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:15 AM

Eternal

I'm halfway through The Name of the Wind and enjoying it immensely.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:46 PM

Faerie Dragon

Sounds interestng, but not yet for sale here in Brazil
Old 03-07-2011, 08:54 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

I'm nearly done.

I'll have a review later. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow.

It'll have spoilers. Be warned.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:50 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Here's my review.

There are spoilers.

Really.

Stop reading if you don't want spoilers.

Because, I'm interested in discussing certain plot points with anyone who HAS read the books... or has not... but I don't want any bitching about spoilers.

Especially from this crew.

You guys datamine shit from the game a year out.

Don't give me any crying about spoilers.

So. The Wise Man's Fear is an awesome novel.

For about 600~ pages.

The problem is, the book is nearly 1000 pages long.

I've had a day or so since I began to wonder what the hell happened. I mean, for the first 600 pages, it was so good I was prepared to declare that Patrick Rothfuss was an absolute literary genius (and I even alluded to as much early in this very thread).

For 600 pages, I realized I might never bother to write fiction again, because it would so pale in comparison. This is not empty praise or false humility. I know I'm a decent writer. Lazy. Inconsistent. Not particularly dedicated to the craft. But good, when I put my mind to it.

And I felt dwarfed by Rothfuss.

For 600 pages, it was the tightest, most brilliant bit of fiction I'd ever read.

And then it began to unravel.

I was angry over this, and then relieved to some extent. Rothfuss had proved to be mortal, at least. So, there was some hope. But mostly sadness, because something so perfect had drifted into all-too-familiar territory.

Rothfuss, I think, just ran out of steam. I think his first book took ten years, and the second was done in only four. Such are the realities of graduating from unpublished hack to successful paid novelist. There is enormous pressure to produce, even if your fans beg you to take your time and create a great story.

I think he tried. For 600 pages, he succeeded.

And then the wheels fell off.

If you have read the book, you know exactly what I mean.

Kvothe, up to this point, is cunning and clever, scraping by on wits and bailing wire, literally having to pawn nearly everything he owns at one point or another to get by. He's bad with women. He's hopelessly chasing some dreadful bitch who will never settle down with him. He's always broke. He's not much of a physical combatant. He has no real influence. His reputation is smoke and mirrors. He's talented, but clearly not all-knowing, and he has weaknesses. His contemporaries often are better than him at certain subjects.

I loved this.

And then... he runs off with Felurian.

And this makes absolutely no sense at this point in the story.

Because, up until now, Kvothe's success makes sense.

But now it does not.

I know that the tale of his survival of his encounter with Felurian was foretold. But it should not have happened at this point in the story. It was way, way, way too early.

For those of you who have not read the book and do not care if you are spoiled - Felurian is basically a fairy of immense power and unspeakable beauty. She is irresistible to men. For ages, she has seduced them and either exhausted them to death or driven them completely mad with her affection.

In short, she should, by any measure, have made short work of a 16 year old virgin. No matter how much latent arcane talent he had.

It gets worse.

Because Kvothe spends forever in her realm. It's tedious. I mean, we get it... he does the Kama Sutra backward and forward with a fairy, and somehow convinces her to let him go with the promise of a song (as if she's never heard THAT one before). I mean, I get that there was a certain need to dally in Fae and to have him meet Cthaeh, but it could have been done so much more efficiently.

Or not at all, at this point in our hero's life (which would have been my preference).

So, not only does he repeatedly bed, then magically subdue, then resist the irresistible charm of the most beautiful creature any man could hope to encounter, but this is how he loses his virginity.

Go ahead, I'm waiting for the Chuck Norris joke.

And then it gets worse.

He leaves the realm of Fae, and decides to help out his pal Tempi who is in hot water for teaching him the Adem kung-fu. By "help out" I mean he travels back to to the Adem homeland, learns some kung-fu, and, in the process, bangs a few amazonian hotties who are also his instructors.

I mean, it's bad enough that readers of the Wheel of Time will recognize that the Adem are just repackaged versions of the Aiel (I mean, I didn't even finish WoT and I recognized them right off). In fact, the plagiarism is so striking I would not be surprised to see a lawsuit from Jordan's estate over it. Read the books - they're the same damned culture.

Except the Adem are stupid, and think that sex has nothing to do with making babies. Yet somehow, they are presented as these wise Jedi types who have this brilliant and enlightened society. Yeah.

Even worse, Kvothe, a man with no discernible skill in physical combat, wins their favor in two months, and is granted a 2,000 year old sword at the end of his visit.

Did I mention he's gone from virgin to banging goddesses and amazons in about 30 seconds?

After that, his path back to the University is a long series of disjointed wrapping up of loose ends... with the exception of an encounter with a group of bandits masquerading as members of the order of his old troupe - the Edema Ruh - who have kidnapped and raped not one, but two fair maidens.

Naturally, Rothfuss goes all Knaak on us at this point. His Mary Sue flexes his new-found marital and arcane skill, mixed with a little righteous and chivalrous anger, and he slaughters the 9 bandits and takes the girls back to their village. One of them, naturally, is the mayor's daughter.

Ugh.

Then he's back on the road. He gets screwed by his rich patron, yet somehow is richer than shit for his trouble. This is annoying, as it would have made more sense for his patron to be happy for his service and simply sponsor Kvothe. Instead, Kvothe gets dissed, but is granted free tuition for life at the University (removing a major point of conflict in the story thus far). What's worse, is he then cuts an entirely unbelievable deal with the bursar of the University to artificially inflate his tuition and embezzle half the difference.

Yeah, fucking heroic. I mean, if you wanted him to be rich, just let him keep the patron as a sponsor. WTF. Don't tell me this is just Kvothe being clever... it's not. It's a stupid plot device. Either he gets screwed and has to continue working his way thru college, or he gets sponsored. Now it just seems like he's cheating on welfare.

He still chases the elusive bitch for reasons that are entirely unbelievable at this point, because not only has he now had more action than Charlie Sheen, he's also been made aware of the fact that the object of his affection is quite literally just a dumb whore. Seriously, he should in no way be interested in that cock tease of a slut by now, and he still follows her like a moronic puppy dog.

Worse still, future Kvothe (who is telling the story all along) seems ignorant to his own stupidity, offers no explanation for any of this insanity, and also seems entirely impotent against two untrained soldiers who rob his inn.

I mean, I suppose it's possible he let himself get his ass kicked, but we're not given that impression at all, really, and it's a hell of a note to end the story on.

Nearly 1,000 pages, and the only true bad assery was 400 pages ago.

I felt more than a little ripped off by this.

So, I am sharing this review with you all, mostly because I have no place else to put it, and mostly because I need to vent my spleen over this... a beautiful novel, and I didn't even see the train wreck coming.

I'd still recommend it, to be honest. As I said, the first 600 pages are simply outstanding. Everything after that? I have no idea what happened. I'd love to have 10 minutes with Rothfuss and ask him exactly why the wheels fell off the bus at that point.

But Rothfuss has legions of fans now. Sycophants who kiss his ass and tell him he's the next Tolkien. Fuck, even Felicia Day is plugging his work. He won't hear it.

And that saddens me.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:23 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

This is pretty much everything wrong with Wise Man's Fear in three panels.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:43 PM

Elune

Quote:

I'm not amused as i should be...
Old 04-11-2011, 01:44 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
I'm not amused as i should be...
That's because it's really not amusing. It's absurd. Yet people are gushing over how awesome the book was, when, in fact, the last 300 pages were garbage.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:50 PM

Elune

Quote:
That's because it's really not amusing. It's absurd. Yet people are gushing over how awesome the book was, when, in fact, the last 300 pages were garbage.
Okay so the sex had any purpose? because sexomancy is not a actual original plot...
Old 04-11-2011, 01:52 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:

I don't know, having sex with a goddess and 2 ninja's in one day is quite the achievement.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:05 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyson View Post
I don't know, having sex with a goddess and 2 ninja's in one day is quite the achievement.
Actually that was over the course of several weeks, at least.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:17 PM

Elune

Hey bolvar have you ever read Idhun memories?
Old 04-11-2011, 02:32 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Hey bolvar have you ever read Idhun memories?
Nope, never heard of it. Any good?
Old 04-11-2011, 02:35 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Actually that was over the course of several weeks, at least.
Then the cartoon is wrong, it says "a day in the life of"
Old 04-11-2011, 02:44 PM

Elune

Quote:
Nope, never heard of it. Any good?
Pretty much one of the best trilogies i've read, apparently wikipedia says it only been translated from spanish to Catalan, Portuguese, German and Korean, so sorry it seems it wasn't been released in english but i can check
Old 04-11-2011, 02:54 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Pretty much one of the best trilogies i've read, apparently wikipedia says it only been translated from spanish to Catalan, Portuguese, German and Korean, so sorry it seems it wasn't been released in english but i can check
Yeah, my Spanish is not quite good enough to tackle a novel. Might be a good exercise in language skills, though.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:59 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Hrm, I've actually been offered a few opportunities to translate a novel for some extra cash, a Japanese horror novel fell into my lap recently that I felt would be really good for the American market...

Who publishes this novel?
Old 04-11-2011, 03:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
Yeah, my Spanish is not quite good enough to tackle a novel. Might be a good exercise in language skills, though.
Sorry then for saying something was good without you being able to read it, it was translated in my language... soo yeah.

Although i never read it, this one is from the same author and is in english also won a award the Legend of the Wandering King

Here's the review
Quote:
The Legend of the Wandering King
"Before the days of Mohammed and Islam," Arabian prince Walid dreams of being a poet. He organizes an annual contest but loses each year to a humble carpet weaver, Hammad. Bitterly jealous, the prince punishes his rival with impossible tasks, which Hammad miraculously accomplishes, including weaving a carpet containing "the entire history of the human race." The enchanted rug drives its viewers to madness, though, and after it is stolen, an older, repentant prince, fearful of the damage it causes, sets out to find it. As he journeys through Bedouin lands and distant cities, the prince continuously reinvents himself, falls in love, and finds the soul and heart missing in his early poems. Spanish author Garcia writes a captivating, magical tale--a combination of original legend, philosophical meditation, romance, and adventure--steeped in rich cultural specifics, defined in a note and a glossary. Readers will enjoy the thoughtful ruminations on fate and consequence as much as the thrilling, magical action, and they will recognize Walid's course of self-discovery: try many identities on for size.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:10 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

That actually sounds pretty good.