Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2014, 01:18 AM

Eternal

What was good about the movie was fantastic. During the final fight when Muto got force-fed nuclear justice, I almost squealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlee View Post
Humans need to be at the forefront or the monsters become too human.
Lolno.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:40 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauren Paly View Post
I honestly thought filmmakers would have learned from the hidious mistakes in transformers, with Shia LaBeouf taking up screen time away from OPTIMUS FUCKING PRIME.

But apparently they didn't learn, the same with the king kong remake. We want to see the big monster or token characters, we don't give a flying fuck about human storyline as a main focus of the movie, we come for a fun romp.

Its like going to a fairground and wanting to ride something, but standing in line for an hour with screaming kins in front and fat stinking unwashed people behind. By the time you get on the ride, your soul is already crushed to powder to get any enjoyment from it.

Sometimes, I think these kind of movies should have stayed in the era they came from, because at least then, they could become forever memorable.
When will you people learn that rendering a 3D spectacle is expensive and time consuming. We don't have the technology to be nothing but straight up godzilla/robot slugging CGI for 2 hours for a reasonable cost. Having less SFX-intensive scenes with humans is a necessary evil.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:54 AM

Arch-Druid

Godzilla was a little bit fat in my opinion. Actually in some shots he looked obese. It made me giggle quite a bit.

Really my only criticism. I also wish they had shown more of Godzilla kicking ass. The movie didn't even really feel like it was focused on him, it felt more focused on the giant parasites and human stupidity.

Last edited by Eterna; 05-18-2014 at 03:04 AM..
Old 05-18-2014, 06:07 AM

Eternal

I was going to avoid this movie after Hollywood's last atrocity of a Godzilla movie but it's starting to appeal to me.

Worst case scenario I'll just go home after and watch Godzilla: Final Wars again. Godzilla kicking the crap out of every monster on the planet, chessy wirework martial arts and Don Frye and his mutant anti monster super soldiers will make it all better.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:57 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
When will you people learn that rendering a 3D spectacle is expensive and time consuming. We don't have the technology to be nothing but straight up godzilla/robot slugging CGI for 2 hours for a reasonable cost. Having less SFX-intensive scenes with humans is a necessary evil.
1.) Don't use so much CGI then. Practical effects will ALLWAYS look better when done right anyway.
2.) Don't make it a two hour movie then.
3.) Cost can't be too much of a problem as the MUTOs got plenty of screen time (unless they were easier to render, which could totally be the case considering their lacking design / details, but still. The ammount of screen time of Godzilla doesn't even come close to theirs.)

Besides: apparently Pacific Rim could do it, the Star Wars Prequels consist entirely out of CGI (and wooden actors), Peter Jackson hasn't used a real set in two decades and even the all-so-hated 1998 American Remake got the right amount of reptile on screen (maybe Zilla had a better agent, dunno).
Old 05-18-2014, 07:41 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotal View Post
1.) Don't use so much CGI then. Practical effects will ALLWAYS look better when done right anyway.
I agree with you, but do you honestly expect kids in 2014 to not complain when a movie is done with practical effects instead of CGI?

Quote:
the Star Wars Prequels consist entirely out of CGI (and wooden actors)
Go rewatch the prequels. Tell me if you want to see a movie with CGI of THAT quality.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:51 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
I agree with you, but do you honestly expect kids in 2014 to not complain when a movie is done with practical effects instead of CGI?
I'd say fuck kids in 2014, Godzilla isn't a kids movie and was never meant to be. Besides - we can do amazing things with practical effects. Yeah sure there's stuff you can't make with them (convincingly), but the trade off is that CGI will never look real, so it's a Lose - Lose situation. Might as well go for the one that looks better. (Fun Fact: i actually really like the CGI Godzilla in this one. But if his CGI is too expensive pull an Emmerich and mix some animatronics in.)

Quote:
Go rewatch the prequels. Tell me if you want to see a movie with CGI of THAT quality.
Truth be told i don't want to watch any movie with that QUANTITY of CGI. Besides being terrible films they all look like shit (hilariously enough Episode 1 had the most real sets and looks the best, from a purely visual PoV, including the Yoda puppet which at least i could buy was a real prop instead of pasted in in post).
Old 05-18-2014, 09:56 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
=
Edit: SO. Spoilers.

Look, i totally get it, one wants to tease and build up to the big guy. That's fine. But at some point you gotta show off the monster in a meaningfull way. A sexy, spikey back and one roar is not what i pay for in a Godzilla movie. I generally like the portrayal of the Kaiju in this movie (especially how the Starshi Troopers Bug-Cloverfield hybrids at first don't seem all that evil, just animals cought up in human affairs) but Godzilla doesn't get enough. But that's not even the problem - it's that not only the MUTOs get a SHIT TON of screen time but every time (until the very end of the movie) some action is about to happen, the movie just cuts away and shows us the aftermath. That worked exactly once, several decades ago and only because no one knew that a single Borg Cube was going to rip 40 Starfleet ships a new one. We kinda do know what a Kaiju does to a city. We are not impressed. Especially not when you show us the first few seconds of a fight and then cut away. That is not clever. That is dumb. If you need to tease the monsters, fine, but don't COCKTEASE them. At some point, every time the film did that the entire theater sighed or stared cursing. I have no idea why they did that in this way (i presume the somewhat plain design of the MUTOs was easier to render than the very impressive looking Godzilla) but it was definitely worse than not showing anything at all.

I know I should have been a little more specific when I created this thread, but it was very late when I got home from seeing it and practically passed out after making this thread.

But Rotal here knocks it down entirely why I did not enjoy it. The bolded bit ESPECIALLY! It happened what, three times? Right when you think we are finally about to get some monster fighting acting (which is what I payed to see), you cut away back to the humans.

I get that you need a slight explanation for what the monsters are doing and for the scientists to explain it, but I dont need a reminder or new reason every 20 minutes so you can cut away from giant monsters destroying stuff. This is not the movie that anyone payed for to see it try to be an award winning movie that made sense. I wanted countless damage, and continuous monster destruction. I was not pleased.

Last edited by Ardeiute; 05-18-2014 at 10:36 AM..
Old 05-18-2014, 10:27 AM

World Builder

Runes

Yeah now that the 'just watched it' glow has subsided I'm feeling a little less satisfied.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 05-18-2014, 10:51 AM

Arch-Druid

Aside from the 1998 movie I can't think of many Godzilla flicks I've seen where Godzilla's had a lot of airtime. I haven't seen this one yet, but I never expected big green to get all that much time on camera. The stories have always been more about the human/aliens and not so much the big monsters.

Now that they've got this one through... how about we dust off good ol' Ghidora.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I think I could go down to McDonalds, order a strawberry milkshake, take the bus to the park, enjoy the weather, and then go home, and it'd still be enough to somehow piss off alliance players.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:53 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Yeah now that the 'just watched it' glow has subsided I'm feeling a little less satisfied.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:35 PM

Elune

Godzilla movies are ALWAYS about the humans. It's what makes the monster fights more epic.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:42 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Godzilla movies are ALWAYS about the humans. It's what makes the monster fights more epic.
The ratio was off here.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 05-18-2014, 12:59 PM

Most Godzilla films don't get past the 100 minute mark.

Final Wars lasted 2 hours. '98 lasted 140 minutes. '54 only lasted 80 minutes.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:25 PM

Elune

Everyone knows that in the real world the US Air Force could take out Godzilla.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:29 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
if godzilla was a village of afghan women and children.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:42 PM

Elune

Quote:
But we would never have to, because Godzilla = The U.S.

If he existed, we would be total bros. Or Siblings, since he is sometimes a she.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:00 PM

Needs A Hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauren Paly View Post
if godzilla was a village of afghan women and children.
Such edge.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
If nukes didn't work, one or two ton JDAMs are going to do jackshit.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:09 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
Such edge.
I'm candy floss when it matters.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:42 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Well, admittedly only in Hollywood do military aircraft have to get within spitting distance to attack their targets. The age of biplanes circling King Kong was a long time ago, and nowadays fighter jets can paste a target from miles away.

Of course, it just wouldn't be as epic without the F-22's doing the same thing (despite the impossibility of maneuvering that sharply in such close quarters as supersonic speeds) and at least one of them accidentally running into its target.

Ultimately Hollywood tends to just use modern weaponry as a source of cosmetic flair, while writing aerial dogfights and ground battles as if it's still 1944.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:20 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Well, admittedly only in Hollywood do military aircraft have to get within spitting distance to attack their targets. The age of biplanes circling King Kong was a long time ago, and nowadays fighter jets can paste a target from miles away.

Of course, it just wouldn't be as epic without the F-22's doing the same thing (despite the impossibility of maneuvering that sharply in such close quarters as supersonic speeds) and at least one of them accidentally running into its target.

Ultimately Hollywood tends to just use modern weaponry as a source of cosmetic flair, while writing aerial dogfights and ground battles as if it's still 1944.
If they wrote them realistically, they wouldn't be as interesting. Same with how explosive cars really are.

Doesn't mean that dogfighting doesn't happen these days sometimes, but rarely are you going to be dog fighting with a giant monster.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:53 PM

Eternal

To be fair, you couldn't get within 5 miles of the MUTOs without getting EMPed.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:54 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroombie View Post
Some aircraft are EMP proof just in case a nuclear bomb goes off.

Last edited by PajamaSalad; 05-18-2014 at 04:07 PM..
Old 05-18-2014, 04:05 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroombie View Post
That is, if something so large would even see something the size and speed of a jet approaching.

Another one of those "giant monster" movie fallacies (and the "elephants being afraid of mice" one too); very large animals don't really even register the movements of comparatively miniscule, rapidly-moving objects, and couldn't really even function at their own scope of perception if they did.

A monster the size of a skyscraper wouldn't really perceive something like an F-22 zipping by or a single person scurrying around at its feet, because such a scale of perception wouldn't be able to also properly register its larger surroundings or even itself.

Works the other way too; up to a point, insects and spiders can't visibly perceive us properly (and so rely pretty much entirely on air movement and heat sensitivity to avoid being squashed) because we're so much larger than they are that we're virtually tantamount to a mobile landmass, and only once they reach a certain size do they become capable of apprehending us visibly.

Hence smaller spiders climb right into a cup or something, getting caught without thinking twice, but when they get large enough they gain the disturbing ability to stare you down and rapidly strafe out of the way when they see you move objects into their path or otherwise attempt to capture them.

Tags
entertainment, japan