Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 10-04-2015, 01:51 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:07 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhllor View Post
Jaina could laying an egg?
Jingle bells, Varian smells,
Jaina laid an egg,
The Chinmobile lost a wheel,
And Grom Hellscream got away,

Hey!
Old 10-04-2015, 02:22 PM

Priestess of the Moon
BattleTag: Samael#1487

I've held off on commenting about this, but after finding I have the same feelings for so long, I will say something. The ending to Warlords was a disappointment. What's particularly galling about it is how little would need to be changed to make it good. Therefore, I present an outline of how it could've been done better.

Before I begin, I should say I'd put a slight tweak on the beginning so that when Gul'dan is freed, he makes off with the fragment of the Vision of Time that was used to connect to the MU. Thus, everything the player does on the alternate Draenor is ultimately about recovering the shard because we really, really don't anyone from the AU invading our Azeroth again.

However, we were talking about the ending. The raid, accompanied by the just-rescued Grommash, Khadgar, Thrall, Durotan, Yrel, and a placeholder Alliance guy, reach the pinnacle of Hellfire Citadel. Gul'dan holds up the shard and says something to the effect of "Hey everybody, look what I have!" Grom steps forward, and with typical reckless belligerence, challenges Gul'dan to a duel for the soul of the orcish race. Gul'dan laughs and says he will exercise his right to have a champion fight in his stead. Archimonde steps through the portal.

Grom shows no fear. He charges the massive demon, bellowing his famous warcry. Archimonde looks down, laughs, and promptly one-shots him. Gul'dan laughs, and Archie gives a villain speech about how the world is doomed. This would preferably include the line "Tremble, mortals, and despair!" Khadgar turns and whispers something to the effect of "You guys distract him. I'll take care of this." He turns into a raven and flies away.

The fight begins and proceeds as-is, with the exception of Gul'dan periodically taunting about how helpless you are against his power.

When Archimonde reaches 30% health, the finale triggers. Khadgar casts a spell that destabilizes the portal and causes it to collapse. All of the demons, including Archimonde, are sucked back through into the Twisting Nether. On his way out, Archimonde berates Gul'dan for not guarding the portal and says his incompetence will not go unpunished. Gul'dan, still holding the shard, gets pulled through the portal.

The portal's implosion triggers a massive shockwave that demolishes Hellfire Citadel. Khadgar teleports everyone to a safe distance. Everyone is celebrating, complete with curtain call of significant characters. Quick aside about how Hellscream died a hero. Khadgar does his moody, "this is only the beginning" shtick with Yrel. FIN.

Better?

Last edited by DarkAngel; 10-05-2015 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: Realized Archimonde was still just a warlock pet
Old 10-05-2015, 06:42 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

A better ending would have been if Blizzard ripped off the ending for Sonic '06.

Like, everything is normal until Archimonde is fought. Once he's reduced to 10% he summons in an entire army that the players can't defeat. Then once all hope is lost, time freezes and Chromie shows up. Then she says there's a way to finish this without having to fight against impossible odds.

The raid is teleported over to a time-frozen version of the courtroom battle in War Crimes, then gets their chest of loot from the Bronze Dragonflight.

Afterwards, the raid fights Garrosh, Kairoz, and various Infinite and True Horde-esque adds.

Once Garrosh dies, Chromie says "now you won't have to deal with an utterly pointless alternate universe!" and everyone cheers and laughs and people get their loot and Thrall and Varian start making out.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:10 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

AU Draenor should have collapsed on itself. It would have mirrored MU better. The whole WoD story could have been Archimonde's plan to resurrect himself. But if I had my way he would come back as Mecha-Archimonde. The Legion already has the technology for it.

Last edited by TerrorhoofMayo; 10-05-2015 at 07:12 PM..
Old 10-05-2015, 07:15 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorhoofMayo View Post
AU Draenor should have collapsed on itself. It would have mirrored MU better. The whole WoD story could have been Archimonde's plan to resurrect himself. But if I had my way he would come back as Mecha-Archimonde. The Legion already has the technology for it.
There are few things I like more than cyborgs.

That being said, the way I wanted WoD to end was that, back on Azeroth, Jaina went back in time to reunite with her father. Daelin Proudmoore leads a new Alliance along with Terenas, Llane, Magni and Anasterian who come and save the current factions' bacon at the last minute.

Time, after all, is a flat circle.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:26 PM

Arch-Druid

What would happen to Jaina and AU Jaina?
Old 10-05-2015, 09:03 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
What would happen to Jaina and AU Jaina?
Double team? One has white hair, one has blonde, so there wont be like a time paradox or something.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:04 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Double team? One has white hair, one has blonde, so there wont be like a time paradox or something.
If all else fails, we can just scribble a goatee and/or handlebar mustache on the eviler one with permanent marker.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:05 AM

Arch-Druid

Drag, I was hoping for hot lesbian action.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:13 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia View Post
A better ending would have been if Blizzard ripped off the ending for Sonic '06.
Quote:
Sonic '06
Quote:
better
Old 10-06-2015, 11:53 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Quote:
Drag, I was hoping for hot lesbian action.
No, they're saving that for Legion.

If I die, blame it on BfA
Old 11-21-2015, 11:59 PM

Arch-Druid

About the demonology warlock artifact, Skull of the Man'ari:

Before the eredar served the titan Sargeras, one of their greatest leaders, Thal'kiel, had unprecedented skill with summoning and binding magics. Driven by ambition, he reached into the Void and was answered with knowledge of dark creatures unlike any the eredar had seen before. His audacious power grab infuriated the demon lord Archimonde, who struck him down, then had his skull gilded and placed on display as a warning. Today the dreadlord Mephistroth uses it to enhance his ability to summon and command demon armies for the Legion.

Why is Archimonde a "demon lord" "before the eredar served the titan Sargeras"? Are they going back to WC3 eredar lore? Or just bad writing? Or Blizzard confusing themselves?
Old 11-22-2015, 12:13 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegrune View Post
Why is Archimonde a "demon lord" "before the eredar served the titan Sargeras"? Are they going back to WC3 eredar lore? Or just bad writing? Or Blizzard confusing themselves?
I think it's just poorly phrased, meant to indicate that Thal'kiel's skills at binding and summoning predated his corruption into a demon, even though they enabled the power-grab that got him killed after.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:49 AM

Arch-Druid

How I would have ended WoD.

I would have first skipped Hellfire at first and gone to Goria and then to Farahlon. Resolve the Cho'gall's master storyline and have a Sargerei Draenei raid.

Grommash is forced to chug the demon blood.

We battle the Warlords in a battle similar to blood elf council or paragons at the end of Hellfire citadel.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:24 PM

Eternal

Hey, they remembered Mephistroth.

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:42 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
Even I forgot about him.

He had maybe two lines of dialogue in Reign of Chaos and did nothing else.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:06 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apep View Post
Even I forgot about him.

He had maybe two lines of dialogue in Reign of Chaos and did nothing else.
Yeah, makes it all the more impressive, eh?

Quote:
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:58 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
They did?
Old 11-23-2015, 11:36 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Will a certain class be able to visit another class hall or is it really a class-exclusive place?
Old 11-23-2015, 02:28 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
They did?
Before the eredar served the titan Sargeras, one of their greatest leaders, Thal'kiel, had unprecedented skill with summoning and binding magics. Driven by ambition, he reached into the Void and was answered with knowledge of dark creatures unlike any the eredar had seen before. His audacious power grab infuriated the demon lord Archimonde, who struck him down, then had his skull gilded and placed on display as a warning. Today the dreadlord Mephistroth uses it to enhance his ability to summon and command demon armies for the Legion.

Quote:
Old 11-24-2015, 07:30 AM

Banished

Oh nice.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:34 AM

Drunk Assassin

they probably just searched for dreadlord names on WoWpedia.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:59 PM

Warden

At least it shows they acknowledge previous lore exists, which is more than can be typically said of Blizzard.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:48 AM

Guru of Gilneas

So how the fuck did the Kaldorei not notice the giant vrykul/titan lands beside of their major city of Suramar?

Tags
elves arent people, foot expansion, for khalimdor mah sistahs, forsaken want everything, leg expansion, wow legion