Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 08-29-2017, 12:49 AM

Banished

Default Looking back, is Warcraft 3 put on a bit of a pedestal?

I know we all dig the game here. But after doing some thinking, I'm wondering if not only could the game have been better done but that it also enabled at least some of the issues in the plots and setting.

First off, there's how Medivh not only died and come back to life with no apparent drawback or warping but how his role in the game could be abridged as him being a ranting hobo who only Metzen's pets (Thrall and Malfurion) and Jaina listen to.

Secondly, there's TFT Blood Elf Campaign and the forced way made the Blood Elves hostile to the Alliance alongside the Orc Campaign with strawman Daelin. Garithos is a mustache twirler who seeks to genocide the Blood Elves during the zombie invasion, but doesn't have any background for his stance whatsoever (ignoring later post-WC3 lore). The Orc Campaign has Jaina help commit patricide and allow the Horde to rampage through Theramore with Daelin shown as big of a strawmen as he can be (complete with having his daughter seized by his troops).

Lastly, as neat as the Blood of Mannoroth was for the Lore back then. I wonder if hasn't ended up doing damage in the end. I can get into this more if you ask.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:38 AM

Echo of the Past

Be it known that I did not start this thread.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:41 AM

Eternal

Retrospectively, Warcraft III suffered from two particular things;

1) The lore of many things had been altered to accommodate for World of Warcraft, as these two games were developed in tandem, and certain design decisions made for World of Warcraft had an immediate effect on Warcraft III (the forest trolls turned from the allies of the Horde into creeps, so they could be used as enemies in World of Warcraft to make Lordaeron less monotonous, Stratholme moved away from Darrowmere because of the scale, etc).

2) As almost every single Blizzard game, Warcraft III had suffered many, many cuts during its development, some rather counterproductive retrospectively. The key difference between it and say Warlords of Draenor is only that even after all those cuts, it remained relatively compact.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:20 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Yes it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:43 AM

Problemsolver

I think what WCIII did was to continue broadening the scope of the setting after WCII and its expansion (WCII took a step from WC's sort of strict dark v. light fantasy setting a lá Diablo into a more free high fantansy setting mixed with some technopunk, and then WCIII expanded on those ideas), making the story more accessible to a wider audience and more easily digestible. Did it suffer quality while gaining quantity? Maybe. But if so I'm not so sure it was done excessively. It's not like the two previous installments were without flaws.

I think the issue is rather the franchise as a whole being on a pedestal. Warcraft has never been a brilliant piece of writing in terms of story and consistency.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:23 AM

Elune

WC3 should perhaps not be put on a pedestal but comparing it to WoW is like comparing Tolstoy with Uve Boll.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:38 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
WC3 should perhaps not be put on a pedestal but comparing it to WoW is like comparing Tolstoy with Uve Boll.
I have no idea what any of that means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:06 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
I think the issue is rather the franchise as a whole being on a pedestal. Warcraft has never been a brilliant piece of writing in terms of story and consistency.
This.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:03 AM

Eternal

To a certain extent, pretty much like anything that's considered of quality at any point of time. Personally I think it gave the setting it's charm and still holds up very well even today if you don't count WoW lore messing with it, even if it's not as groundbreaking as some might think.

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:10 AM

Keeper of the Grove

This is now a Warcraft 2 thread!

Old 08-29-2017, 03:38 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Nobody said it was perfect, there were some bad retcons like Lothar's death as well. But overall it's the best part of the WC lore, especially RoC. The villains were very cunning and manipulative, it's not black and white as well. Also WC1 and WC2 doesn't even have a real canon ending, it also lacks of lore compare to WC3. All the characters were at least consistent as well.

I don't see any problem with Daelin at all. He fought in the 2nd War and lost his son, it makes a lot of sense for him to hate the orcs. You can disagree with him but his character was coherent.

Garithos could have been expanded a bit more, I agree.

Last edited by Slowpokeking; 08-29-2017 at 03:40 PM..
Old 08-29-2017, 06:59 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Also WC1 and WC2 doesn't even have a real canon ending,
Sylvanas can easily survive the Scourge campaign. :p

https://forums.spacebattles.com/thre...252728/page-20

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 08-29-2017 at 07:03 PM..
Old 08-29-2017, 07:23 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Sylvanas can easily survive the Scourge campaign. :p

https://forums.spacebattles.com/thre...252728/page-20
Where is it, photobucket broke all the links.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:39 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Where is it, photobucket broke all the links.
Killing her is an Optional Quest
Old 08-29-2017, 08:42 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Killing her is an Optional Quest
But it didn't have 2nd option like spare her or let her run off.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:47 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
But it didn't have 2nd option like spare her or let her run off.
The scene where Arthas kills her doesn't happen if you choose not to do the Optional Quest. She never dies in RoC if you go that route.

So yes, it's a second option.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:45 PM

Glaive Thrower

Panda

Warcraft III is put on a pedestal because it's a better game for a lot of people.

Medivh is supposed to be mysterious, and if everyone listened to him there wouldn't be much of a story. We don't need to know exactly why Garithos is a jerk just like we don't need to know why Jabba the Hutt is a jerk. Warcraft 1-3 is full of brutality, and desperate decisions. Jaina did what she needed to protect her people. As far as the Blood Of Mannoroth stuff goes you shouldn't judge Warcraft 3's storytelling quality by whatever World Of Warcraft or some book does with the lore it set up.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:48 PM

Echo of the Past

I love the tech tree but feel some units weren't showcased enough in the story campaigns. Too many of them showed up for only a single level, or no levels at all.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:36 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

It was a really good game. Lot of models, neutral enemies, and a pretty good world editor. The story and the lore were pretty decent as well, and the characters were developed very well.

In retrospective, SC2 was a failure because it missed all of those points above.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Tags
critical thinking, warcraft 3