Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 06-11-2013, 04:47 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,245

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Ah, these ones look more like 3do/NWC's "fairy tale" style, directly meshing up "realistic medieval" with mythological critters.

Nival/Ubisoft's have that "hyperemphasized fantasy feel", a lot of which probably comes from warcraft in general.
FTFY

Good point however, though I for one love that about warcraft and H5. I just love to see my faction look cool as absolute zero when I fully build up a town and roll out with my fully upgraded units.
Might be a somewhat simplistic viewpoint but fitting and colorful thematics always did wonders for me. Probably because they make it so easy to imagine those units kicking ass at my command.

Kinda hard to explain but they just stick in your mind, those iconic units and thematics, and... they're just cool as fuck and they make you feel good and you like them


Anyway I just switched to H5 to take a breather from H4, I have to say I am experiencing less burnout with H5, probably because it plays smoother and the campaign missions don't take as long to complete.
On average I'd say I can squeeze in 3 H5 missions in place of 1 H4 epic, grind, build up, kill everything style mission.

Also:

-In the H5 cinematic that is totally Jesus painted on the church window. It kinda fits since the human religion of H5 even has crosses but this is probably the first time I saw Jesus as a reference/easter egg in a game.
What I mean is you can find plenty of him in various human storytelling, game included, but never before have I seen him as a casual reference, kinda unusual and neat if you ask me.

-Do you guys remember that background sound in H5 that is actually a bird but sounds like a wheezing breath at first? That totally freaked me out the first time I played, I was sure I am sick or may be having lung failure.
Just wanted to comment on that for a while now >_>

-Agrael missions where you are on the clock, you know when Godrick is chasing you or when you are racing that demonlord for the Heart of the Gryphon, are so hard!
Like crazy hard on higher difficulties, but also very fun. Loved every second of it.

Last edited by C9H20; 06-11-2013 at 04:49 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 06-11-2013, 04:52 PM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,980

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
-In the H5 cinematic that is totally Jesus painted on the church window. It kinda fits since the human religion of H5 even has crosses but this is probably the first time I saw Jesus as a reference/easter egg in a game.
What I mean is you can find plenty of him in various human storytelling, game included, but never before have I seen him as a casual reference, kinda unusual and neat if you ask me.
I was confused when I saw that. I was like ''Wait don't they worship Elrath who is a dragon? What is Jesus doing there?''
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06-11-2013, 04:56 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,245

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
I was confused when I saw that. I was like ''Wait don't they worship Elrath who is a dragon? What is Jesus doing there?''
Well they almost certainly have saints, it is likely one of them looks suspiciously like the world's favorite bearded man.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 06-11-2013, 06:50 PM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,980

Default

Biara is a pretty cool villain. I was kinda upset she didn't show up in Dark Messiah.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 06-12-2013, 10:36 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,245

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Biara is a pretty cool villain. I was kinda upset she didn't show up in Dark Messiah.
Blackbar that shit!

I am just re-starting H5 and I don't wanna be spoiled. : /
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 06-13-2013, 01:57 AM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,980

Default

Sorry. I thought a veteran like you would know the story by now.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 06-13-2013, 02:16 AM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Default

Well, she is an obvious villain though, from the moment she appears. Not much to spoil here.

And I personally think the third dark elven mission is the hardest, because there is a lot of enemy bases and you don't know where to go/how to get to them. It kinda helps to rush and crush the closest cities that mirror yours, so as to hold the computer from invading your territory too much.

Oh, wait, that's not the hardest. Findan's last mission is.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 06-13-2013, 03:59 AM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,245

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Well, she is an obvious villain though, from the moment she appears. Not much to spoil here.
Well yeah, totally. But now Smoke knows that I have only gotten through a bit of the H5 story, the first three campaigns to be precise, and he won't spoil more significant developments. You see when I first played H5 a horrible bug happened in the Sylvan campaign, those undead mobs that were supposed to be attacking the gates never spawned, and neither did that demon army which was supposed to signal the end of the mission.
So after I wasted a few hours on a bugged mission I lost my desire to play, and then I just kind off never picked up again.

Anyway I was always more of a player of Heroes than a ardent follower of the story.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 06-26-2013, 03:32 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,245

Default

So just finished H5 Demon campaign, I think my score was 30k, how did you guys do?

Now I went from Normal to Hard and started the Undead campaign.

Just one thing to say, Diplomacy on Markal? Diplomacy on a Necromancer?! Most useless ability of all time right there -.-
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 06-27-2013, 09:15 AM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Just one thing to say, Diplomacy on Markal? Diplomacy on a Necromancer?! Most useless ability of all time right there -.-
I think it's a requirement for his super-ability that lets him automatically hire any undead unit he meets on the map (including dragons).

Plus there are some extra skills in Leadership that are unique for the undead, IIRC.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 06-27-2013, 09:48 AM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,245

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
I think it's a requirement for his super-ability that lets him automatically hire any undead unit he meets on the map (including dragons).

Plus there are some extra skills in Leadership that are unique for the undead, IIRC.
Yeah, at the expense of dropping three level feats into the useless mainline, and even then I bet those skills ain't so special.

It is just dead weight skill. And his unique skill, while thematically linked to leadership still shouldn't come weighed down with such a useless skill to the undead.

Anyway playing on hard was fun, I only got maybe three "Very Low" challenge ratings in the entire mission and that was against mobs, near the end of it.

Also I the game mechanics of V are so beyond that of IV it is not even funny. I loved dodging and escaping those mages in the first undead mission.

EDIT: And I can't wait to get Raelag, to make a proper sorcerer hero.

Last edited by C9H20; 06-27-2013 at 09:51 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-28-2013, 04:23 AM
CoDimus the Staunch CoDimus the Staunch is offline

Eternal
CoDimus the Staunch's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,592

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
So I've finished Solmyr's campaign in H4 last night, and something very funny happened.
Fixed. Because Solmyr rocks.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-28-2013, 06:52 AM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Default

As far as III and V are concerned, I think Logistics (and maybe even Pathfinding) are must-get skills for any hero. It was a bit easier in III where you could just choose that crazy Minotaur Overlord hero and have logistics from the start... But sometimes I had to re-save (or re-start, in WoG) to get the logistics skill. It's essential for winning.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 06-28-2013, 01:05 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,245

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
As far as III and V are concerned, I think Logistics (and maybe even Pathfinding) are must-get skills for any hero. It was a bit easier in III where you could just choose that crazy Minotaur Overlord hero and have logistics from the start... But sometimes I had to re-save (or re-start, in WoG) to get the logistics skill. It's essential for winning.
Totally true, all of my main heroes in V have it. Though I was lucky and got it in first mission every time. Logistics also always has kickass race-specific feats. For example:

Death's March - All your units get +3 Move during sieges. (100 vamps to the face, first turn, bitch).

Familiar Terrain - Units always have +1 Move if fighting on grass.

Stalker in the Shadows - Huge scouting range, hides your troop numbers and tells you if the creeps are likely to flee or fight.

*Names may not be correct and not all things may be listed.


Anyway how about we try and craft the perfect Heroes game, in our own opinions of course, by putting together the best elements from all previous games and new ones as we see fit.

First off, Combat:

I'd do away with big squares like in 5 and either bring back hexagons from 3 or tiny squares from 4, perhaps combine both and make tiny hexagons? Still I'd leave in big units so that terrain and clever unit positioning can block them, since that is such fun tactically speaking.

Also I'd make terrain an even bigger feature, with obstacles such as water, quicksand, lava all being interactable in different ways by different mobs (say those dwarven lava giants can walk through lava with no damage or speed reduction, while cyclops can smash through tree and rock obstacles in an activated Stampede ability). There would be units with the Seaworthy special that lets them cross water, maybe even gain a bonus for an amphibious assault, some units will be able to jump across obstacles and pitfalls once a turn as a special.
Also the overall terrain (grass, lava fields, snow...) bonuses for different factions would be bigger and feature more closely into unit and hero abilities.

As for unit abilities and specials themselves, the more the merrier. Though perhaps bring back 4's system and limit them to 4-6. Also 4 had a great idea with explaining the strength's and weaknesses of each unit in detail (even if it just a mundane thing like skeletons having more ranged defense due to being, y'know, full of holes already). Often in 3 you couldn't be certain what a given ability does, it was just a single line of text saying stuff like "Hates Black Dragons."

I also like how 5 clarified the speed/initiative difference and made that super handy initiative bar that shows which unit goes next. That should definitely be kept, together with the Sorcery talent which makes you cast more often.
Heroes in general should have more fun and game changing feats like Death's March, Tactics over stuff like 15% more damage and other dull things so 5 was going in the right direction with that stuff.

Will cover more later, tell me what you guys think please.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 06-30-2013, 12:51 AM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Default

I'd like to return to the old M&M universe. Axeoth was very promising.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Volkrin Volkrin is offline

The Digger
Volkrin's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 9,019

Default

VI is up on Steam for 66% off. Have any of you played it, and would you say it's worth buying?
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-14-2013, 12:38 AM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
VI is up on Steam for 66% off. Have any of you played it, and would you say it's worth buying?
Story and characters are good.

Gameplay is... interesting, if simplified in some things.

Graphics are good.

But it's very buggy and disbalanced.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 11-29-2013, 12:11 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,245

Default

So I got back to playing V, and I have to agree with you Kir. Those dark elf missions are hellish on hard. They just keep sending huge armies in a disturbingly short interval at me.

I routed five of their armies (maybe more) in sequence (though the heroes fled, cunts) and they still had enough to send a massive army at me, big enough to overpower my combined forces led by a level capped Raelag. It's insane.


As for returning to the old setting. I am against it. While it seems great and I am sure it means a lot to old fans like you... it is still just too huge for new people to get into. Reboot allowed me to get engrossed in the events without having to understand four games worth of story (+ a dozen expansions and those RPGs).
Though on the flipside the new developers learned nothing from that and I fear Ashan will get to complex and suffer a reboot as well.

Last edited by C9H20; 11-29-2013 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 11-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Blayze Blayze is offline

Arch-Druid
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,043

Default

It's all about the Heroes 2 Halflings.
Those little bastards HURT.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 11-29-2013, 10:59 PM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
As for returning to the old setting. I am against it. While it seems great and I am sure it means a lot to old fans like you... it is still just too huge for new people to get into. Reboot allowed me to get engrossed in the events without having to understand four games worth of story (+ a dozen expansions and those RPGs).
Though on the flipside the new developers learned nothing from that and I fear Ashan will get to complex and suffer a reboot as well.
There are old fans like me, and then there are OLDER fans who still remember the Ancients and all that futuristic mix from the main line of M&M RPGs.

To me, making campaigns based on different places and times on Enroth and Axeoth would be enough, keeping in the general atmosphere of the games. Which is why I absolutely love the Legends of the Ancients mod for H4.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 11-29-2013, 11:02 PM
HlaaluStyle HlaaluStyle is offline

Elune
HlaaluStyle's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tradegate, the Outlands
Posts: 12,465
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
There are old fans like me, and then there are OLDER fans who still remember the Ancients and all that futuristic mix from the main line of M&M RPGs.

To me, making campaigns based on different places and times on Enroth and Axeoth would be enough, keeping in the general atmosphere of the games. Which is why I absolutely love the Legends of the Ancients mod for H4.
Yeah, I remember exploring the metal world beneath the pyramids back when I was ten years old. Pretty mind-blowing stuff.
__________________
See WoW in a way you've never imagined it.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 11-30-2013, 02:01 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,245

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
There are old fans like me, and then there are OLDER fans who still remember the Ancients and all that futuristic mix from the main line of M&M RPGs.

To me, making campaigns based on different places and times on Enroth and Axeoth would be enough, keeping in the general atmosphere of the games. Which is why I absolutely love the Legends of the Ancients mod for H4.
Fuck, I didn't even know these ancients and this Sci-Fi stuff even existed. How mind bogglingly incongruous with the general "sword and sorcery" feel of the franchise. Now I wonder if the entire setting (used to) operates on Clarke's Third Law, the one about sufficiently advanced technology being like magic. I don't know what to think about this.

Though those metuselah fans may appreciate small bonus scenarios which were recently added to VI that harken back to the old setting and the story of ancient androids battling it out.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 11-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Blayze Blayze is offline

Arch-Druid
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,043

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Fuck, I didn't even know these ancients and this Sci-Fi stuff even existed. How mind bogglingly incongruous with the general "sword and sorcery" feel of the franchise. Now I wonder if the entire setting (used to) operates on Clarke's Third Law, the one about sufficiently advanced technology being like magic. I don't know what to think about this.

Though those metuselah fans may appreciate small bonus scenarios which were recently added to VI that harken back to the old setting and the story of ancient androids battling it out.
I need to get around to playing through the whole lot; same with Wizardry and Ultima, too. So far the only M&M game I've finished is 7; I remember entering a crashed spaceship in a lake and snagging some laser guns, but that's about it.

My playthrough of 6 fizzled out when my party went to sleep and the royal brat who'd tagged along for the ride buggered off somewhere, and I couldn't be bothered tracking him down.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 11-30-2013, 03:50 PM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,980

Default

I'm fine with a reboot. I don't see what they can do with Ashan after Dark Messiah.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 11-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Nefias Nefias is offline

Glaive Thrower
Nefias's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 58

Default

I used to play hot seat with my younger brother on heroes III. He was always the Necro army.

We always loaded one of our heroes with 90% of our total forces. If either of our heroes ever lost we quit the map.

We were sore losers.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
4x strategy, best game ever, classic video games, kickass armies

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.