Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 05-20-2016, 01:42 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Actually their pre-Legion schtick was working pretty well until Sargeras started locking them up on Mardum.

I said it a while back, but the whole situation with the demons reeks of the common Blizzard theme that some things are supposed to operate in unending cycles, and when someone decides "hey, I'll make a permanent solution to end this cycle!" is about the time things start going truly wrong.

In my opinion, the demons were supposed to keep coming forever. The more order the titans imposed, the more demons would try to disrupt it, the more Sargeras cast them back to the Twisting Nether, and so on, causing an endless back-and-forth between the forces of order and disorder.

As soon as he made Mardum, the process began to change. Suddenly there's this massive hunk of rock in the cosmos radiating fel, and meanwhile there's hardly anything trying to undo the titans' order any more as the rate of new demons being made is outpaced by them being locked away as soon as they learn to breach the physical world.

So what does one suppose would happen in such a situation? The balance is broken; the perpetual struggle for equilibrium between order and disorder has failed. So what might we get?

Perhaps an unnatural and dangerous overabundance of order unchecked by disorder. Perhaps an environment that is made that much more vulnerable to something filling the niche the demons once filled. Perhaps a universe in which things that are suppose to be too fundamentally entropic to manifest physically, are suddenly able to grab onto that "excess order" and take physical form.

Perhaps what we get is the Old Gods.

The sense I'm getting is that demons belong. We aren't meant to destroy them all. They're supposed to exist, as part of the universe's inherent disorder, acting in opposition to its agencies of inherent order. But they've been hijacked, their purpose first halted, then later misappropriated by Sargeras. He made the eredar into demons because of what they could bring to the Legion that demons normally didn't have: a propensity for order. He perverted the demons' role in existence by imposing order and direction upon what's supposed to be random, disorganized and rampant.

By essentially adding order to the demons he broke the system, perhaps even opening the way for the Void to finally reach across and use that breach in the mechanics of reality. After all, the Old Gods never appeared to the titans until after the demons' incursions had dwindled, at which point suddenly two major infestations were found on two worlds with World-souls. And it happened with the Void Lords firing blind. Something changed, and perhaps that change is what allows the Void to now so aggressively intrude. Which could mean that before we can hope to drive back the Void, we need to get rid of the things Sargeras broke. We need to eliminate what he changed so the demons can go back to being what they're supposed to be, or the Void will just keep coming.

At least, that's my current late night, crazy rant-theory.
You need to theory rant more often.

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:21 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Sure it does.

Remember, most people actually believe Darth Vader was "redeemed" from a history of mass murder by one flashy act of self-interested nepotism.

It's funny how a lot of people choose to ignore this. They look at the Illidan novel and say "see, he was on the right track! He was right and everyone else was wrong!"

Except he botched it. Not only did his paranoia and delusional self-importance cause him to alienate everyone outside the Illidari (and some within it), but as soon as he got the one win on Nathreza, the old Illidan reared his ugly head.

One victory, and he spills his plan to everyone. He even acknowledges to himself that there are probably Legion spies present at the time, listening in.

So what happens next? Within weeks the Legion amasses in HFP, Kruul and Kazzak reopen the portal, and the defenders of Azeroth rain down on Illidan's head. It's no coincidence that we invaded when we did; the Legion instigated it.

And when Illidan fights Kruul, the doom lord is amused by what happened to the dreadlords. Not afraid or even nonplussed. The element of surprise is gone. Kil'jaeden knows how Illidan intends to strike, and that cripples the whole plan.

And all because despite Illidan keeping a grip for most of his time in Outland, the vainglorious Betrayer who hungered for recognition to the point of self-destruction bubbled back to the surface as soon as he was riding on the wave of victory and power again.
Vader's a complex case

1.) by the time he and Luke fight he's a broken man who knows what he's become and hates himself more than anyone else. He stays evil because he feels it's too late to go back

2.) Vader had two choices a.) save luke and die painfully with knowledge you could have stopped your path at any time.....but you create an opening for the Galaxy to finally change for the better, you selflessly do something for someone else and finally be something other than the monster you resigned yourself to being....or let your kid die but you can still live the comforting lie that you couldn't do anything and can live in denial. Vader made a selfless decision even when it would have killed him. That counts

3.) Vader's redemption is based on spiritual redemption. If you genuinely renounce your evil ways and embrace your good side you soul is saved. Vader did that and went beyond by killing palpatine, sacrificing his life to save his kid AND ensuring the Galaxy had a future.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:59 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Old 05-20-2016, 04:07 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornedale View Post
To be fair, it's unclear whether we're dealing with a prophecy or not -- "destined" doesn't necessary mean "prophesized". (Which, in turn, doesn't mean nobody could foresee it happening.) Since Blizzard haven't divulged any sort of underlying historiosophy yet, it could be anything.

And, frankly, I don't know where you get this "Jesusmobile" thing. Yeah, shoving Illidan into this position is kind of forced and tells something about Blizzard's character development and story management, but that's it.
That's some severe nitpicking mate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:45 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
What kind of 'ancient cosmology tomes' is Khadgar reading? Chronicles Vol.1 v2? Do the naaru write?
How the hell has he access to any ancient cosmology tome written by a species that recorded the start of the universe? How is that possible? How could that tome speak of Elune and the naaru prime at the same time?
Old 05-20-2016, 04:53 AM

Priestess of the Moon
BattleTag: Frostbane#1378

Holy shit. This writing is so bad it could give cancer to cancer. What the actual fuck.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:22 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitrix View Post
What kind of 'ancient cosmology tomes' is Khadgar reading? Chronicles Vol.1 v2? Do the naaru write?
How the hell has he access to any ancient cosmology tome written by a species that recorded the start of the universe? How is that possible? How could that tome speak of Elune and the naaru prime at the same time?
Considering the famous debate between Velen and Tyrande, the book doesn't look like something from elven or draenei origins. So it's not impossible, just very unlikely. Let's not forget that Khadgar is an incredibly talanted mage and he did spent twenty years on Outland. He could buy it from the Ethereals, since they have all kinds of stuff.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:24 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

WoW, Blizzard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:36 AM

Elune

I don't really mind this but it's one step away from being stupid. At least it's not Go'el or any goddamn orc for once. At this point it seems the Naaru only use Illidan for his powers and the ''prophecy'' is just phoned in there. Just don't make his crimes forgiven, and everyone on Azeroth becoming bff's with him. And those disagreeing being lolcrazymad.

Or this whole series was a Frostmourne induced fever dream of Illidan after he was cut down by Arthas in TFT.

Last edited by SmokeBlader; 05-20-2016 at 05:38 AM..
Old 05-20-2016, 05:37 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

This is literally worse than what you'd expect an obssessed, autistic teenage fanboy to write.

I should know. This is worse than some of the shit I would've written if teenage me had written a Maiev fanfic.

If I die, blame it on BfA
Old 05-20-2016, 05:41 AM

Eternal

I mean, we knew this was coming from the Illidan book so I don't get acting as if this is new information.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:46 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
I mean, we knew this was coming from the Illidan book so I don't get acting as if this is new information.
If someone says "I'm so angry with someone I want to crash into them with my car"*, you don't arrest them- They may not actually do it, or they might be doing it to get a specific reaction out of someone, or they want to say it in order to undermine it later.

Everyone hated it, but had suspicions that maybe they wouldn't go through with it.

Despite how utterly fucking stupid it is, Blizzard are actually going through with it.

*"If you do not go for a shit story idea, that exists, you are not a Blizzard entertainment story writer"

If I die, blame it on BfA

Last edited by Torch; 05-20-2016 at 05:51 AM..
Old 05-20-2016, 06:33 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
This is literally worse than what you'd expect an obssessed, autistic teenage fanboy to write.

I should know. This is worse than some of the shit I would've written if teenage me had written a Maiev fanfic.
Come to think of it, I remember a lot of Illidan fanfiction even from around 2004 that was better than this shit, and that's amazingly sad considering how crappy those fanfics were.

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:58 AM

Banished

Quote:
Actually their pre-Legion schtick was working pretty well until Sargeras started locking them up on Mardum.
Well thats what i meant. He brought them down to irrelevancy but not allowing them to respawn. Demons killed in Argus will suffer final death too

I believe the rest of your rant is just, well, idiotic. Sorry. There is nothing to indicate that the OG were made after Mardum came to existance, in fact the section "The Void Lords and Birth of The Old Gods" comes before "Rise of the Demons". On top of that, if you are talking about natural balance and what-not it makes more sense than the OG managed to "be" because of the Naaru existance had the physical world unbalanced towards light.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:24 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Default Laughing so much it hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Just don't make his crimes forgiven, and everyone on Azeroth becoming bff's with him. And those disagreeing being lolcrazymad.
Stop giving them ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Or this whole series was a Frostmourne induced fever dream of Illidan after he was cut down by Arthas in TFT.
Wait, nevermind... Keep giving them ideas!

Last edited by Hagrid; 05-20-2016 at 07:27 AM..
Old 05-20-2016, 08:11 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
Elune and N'zoth hehe
this 10/10
Old 05-20-2016, 08:28 AM

Arch-Druid

Elune created the night elven race to give birth to the Light-Shadow hybrid child that would destroy the Legion. Elune is Aizen from Bleach. I'm joking, but I do hope that Mother Moon didn't plan his very birth.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:34 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

So, assuming Gurzog isn't Gurogging us on a whole new level, A thought on the nature of Elune: She's not the moon. The moon is just a communications relay. The Keepers used it to relay power from their titan patrons to the aspects, and the Night Elves use it to communicate with Elune, whatever she is.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:49 AM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Really wish I had the ability to hibernate now.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:09 AM

Banished

Orb of Slow Wake me up inside [i can't wake up]

MFW
Old 05-20-2016, 09:59 AM

Revenant - Moderator

So, how do the Light-based Nathrezim that are allied with the naaru fit into this?

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:12 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
So, how do the Light-based Nathrezim that are allied with the naaru fit into this?
Obviously, they are the survivors of Xerrath who, unlike their brethren in Nathreza, were unwilling to join the BL.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:38 AM

Archer

I'm personally fine with the Anduin being champion of light, at least he's just one Champion, instead of 'Destined Savior of the Universe'
Old 05-20-2016, 11:35 AM

Arch-Druid

at least illidan destroy the Planet of dreadlords that gives points as a powerful being and the ability to destroy the legion
Old 05-20-2016, 11:42 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtheria View Post
Holy shit. This writing is so bad it could give cancer to cancer. What the actual fuck.
Moon cancer

Tags
illidan is always right