Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Dithon1 Dithon1 is offline

Needs A Hug
Dithon1's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Over the hills and far away.
Posts: 6,136

Default Medical Stuff

Thread for medical questions and such. Not that any of us are actually qualified to tell you anything.


I was wondering how many of you guys take/took any form ADD/ADHD medication at some point.

What was it?

What dose?

How'd it make you feel?


I ask because I started taking mine again after a couple of months because I'm trying to get back into the whole "school" thing. I dunno what it is, but it makes me feel... I suppose "proactive" is the word. I don't think of the list of shit I need to get done and think "meh." I think "I should go do that," and then get stuff done. It makes me feel useful and productive. Content to do a job well, and even somewhat eager to do more than I have to. Then after a few hours (five or six) the anxiety hits and I feel all jittery, and my stomach and brain demands food but my appetite is pretty much gone. It also makes me grind my teeth for some reason.

It's called "Vyvanse" here, although the name differs from country to country. 50mg capsule, which is a bit high but I developed a tolerance to it when I still took it regularly so the dosage had to go up.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-14-2014, 08:16 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
Thread for medical questions and such. Not that any of us are actually qualified to tell you anything.


I was wondering how many of you guys take/took any form ADD/ADHD medication at some point.

What was it?

What dose?

How'd it make you feel?


I ask because I started taking mine again after a couple of months because I'm trying to get back into the whole "school" thing. I dunno what it is, but it makes me feel... I suppose "proactive" is the word. I don't think of the list of shit I need to get done and think "meh." I think "I should go do that," and then get stuff done. It makes me feel useful and productive. Content to do a job well, and even somewhat eager to do more than I have to. Then after a few hours (five or six) the anxiety hits and I feel all jittery, and my stomach and brain demands food but my appetite is pretty much gone. It also makes me grind my teeth for some reason.

It's called "Vyvanse" here, although the name differs from country to country. 50mg capsule, which is a bit high but I developed a tolerance to it when I still took it regularly so the dosage had to go up.
Hmm I don't know, sounds liek you might've been growing a dependency to it?

I always avoided those types of anti-anxiety medications, except when I have exams in universities. I always get too anxious during those times. This year I haven't taken any.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Dithon1 Dithon1 is offline

Needs A Hug
Dithon1's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Over the hills and far away.
Posts: 6,136

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
Hmm I don't know, sounds liek you might've been growing a dependency to it?

I always avoided those types of anti-anxiety medications, except when I have exams in universities. I always get too anxious during those times. This year I haven't taken any.
It's not that I can't operate normally without the stuff. I just don't usually feel that motivated to actually get much stuff done that doesn't need to be done right that minute. I've never felt any sort of "withdrawal" symptoms; I just feel the side effects more clearly after a while.

It's not an "anti-anxiety" medication. It can actually causes anxiety.

I don't regret taking the stuff; it really does help.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
It's not that I can't operate normally without the stuff. I just don't usually feel that motivated to actually get much stuff done that doesn't need to be done right that minute. I've never felt any sort of "withdrawal" symptoms; I just feel the side effects more clearly after a while.

It's not an "anti-anxiety" medication. It can actually causes anxiety.

I don't regret taking the stuff; it really does help.
Still sounds like you're growing a dependency. The more you grow complacent you become with their benefits, the more mentally and chemically dependent you will become of them.

Besides anything that you can do with those kind of drugs can be done without them it's just a matter of mindset.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-14-2014, 08:43 PM
Eagan Eagan is offline

Eternal
Eagan's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,136

Default

Don't take drugs, especially mind-altering ones. They are an easy way out, but they don't actually lead out. Only into more despair. Deal with the root of the problem. When not taking the medicine, why do you feel "meh"? Is it possible that your heart is not in what you are doing? If this is the case, don't use drugs to force yourself to do things you do not want to do, or what society tells you. Follow your heart.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-14-2014, 08:45 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,690
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Yeah, I'm just going to say that it's dangerous asking for medical advice regarding pills on a forum filled with gamer nerds.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-14-2014, 09:00 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Recently I've been coughing up a lot of tonsilloliths. The only real change in my diet or anything has been that I've been drinking a shitload of iced tea recently (I go through a pitcher of unsweetened iced tea a day in the summer, it helps me wean off my soda addiction). But I can't see a link between the two.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-14-2014, 11:03 PM
Dithon1 Dithon1 is offline

Needs A Hug
Dithon1's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Over the hills and far away.
Posts: 6,136

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
Still sounds like you're growing a dependency. The more you grow complacent you become with their benefits, the more mentally and chemically dependent you will become of them.

Besides anything that you can do with those kind of drugs can be done without them it's just a matter of mindset.
I was diagnosed with ADD in the 9th grade after I failed because I cared more to read fantasy novels during all my classes than I did to actually learn anything. During all of middle school I was fussed at by teachers for "wasting my potential."

The next year I started taking Vyvanse. Was tops of (most; was tied in some) my classes. Teacher's favorite, ect. Ended up graduating on time. Was never in any Honors courses because I failed my first year of 9th grade. Probably could have been, if I'd asked, but I saw all the useless work that was piled on honors students when we were learning pretty much the same thing and said "fuck that."

Say what you like about the ethics of mind-altering drugs, but that shit works.
__________________

Last edited by Dithon1; 06-14-2014 at 11:06 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-15-2014, 12:44 AM
Yaskaleh Yaskaleh is offline

Eternal Watcher
Yaskaleh's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The heart of Scania
Posts: 18,625
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
Thread for medical questions and such. Not that any of us are actually qualified to tell you anything.


I was wondering how many of you guys take/took any form ADD/ADHD medication at some point.

What was it?

What dose?

How'd it make you feel?


I ask because I started taking mine again after a couple of months because I'm trying to get back into the whole "school" thing. I dunno what it is, but it makes me feel... I suppose "proactive" is the word. I don't think of the list of shit I need to get done and think "meh." I think "I should go do that," and then get stuff done. It makes me feel useful and productive. Content to do a job well, and even somewhat eager to do more than I have to. Then after a few hours (five or six) the anxiety hits and I feel all jittery, and my stomach and brain demands food but my appetite is pretty much gone. It also makes me grind my teeth for some reason.

It's called "Vyvanse" here, although the name differs from country to country. 50mg capsule, which is a bit high but I developed a tolerance to it when I still took it regularly so the dosage had to go up.
No. In second grade my teacher wanted to diagnose me with ADHD because I was a very active and loud kid. Luckily my mother worked with medecin so she knew that the teacher were talking out of her ss. It was during the 90s and during that decade they tried to diagnose every kid in swedish with ADHD if they were more active than a comatose person.
__________________

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-15-2014, 01:32 AM
Arakiba Arakiba is offline

Elune
Arakiba's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,586

Default

I don't take medication for ADHD or ADD, but I do for other reasons (anxiety and depression).

Just out of curiosity, have you spoken at all to your doctor around the time you ceased taking it, and/or since you started back up? If not, I recommend it, and tell him/her about the problems you're experiencing.

It may be in the end that the medication you're on isn't working quite right for you, which does happen to many people with various medications.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-15-2014, 07:49 AM
Eagan Eagan is offline

Eternal
Eagan's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,136

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post

Say what you like about the ethics of mind-altering drugs, but that shit works.
What does it work to do? It works to make you someone other than yourself? If you'd rather read novels, perhaps that is what you should be doing?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-15-2014, 07:50 AM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
Say what you like about the ethics of mind-altering drugs, but that shit works.
Eating healthy and exercising works too.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-15-2014, 09:29 AM
Sonneillon Sonneillon is offline

Lord of the
Assassin's League
Sonneillon's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canadaland
Posts: 9,990
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Default

My mother put me on ritalin when it was the hip new thing to do to kids. It just made me aware of my unshakable depression that's persisted through the rest of my life. I didn't take the pills regularly, I was supposed to but I just remember them making me feel off. It was the source of many fights in my childhood.

As an adult I tried taking something for my depression, it didn't have much effect.
__________________
“Listen to the Chair Leg of Truth! It does not lie!”
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-15-2014, 10:02 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,923

Default

Just out of curiosity, what does it regularly take for a teacher to recommend Ritalin? Simply being a child and doing things children do?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Eagan Eagan is offline

Eternal
Eagan's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,136

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Just out of curiosity, what does it regularly take for a teacher to recommend Ritalin? Simply being a child and doing things children do?
I think it heavily depends on the country. In Britain, in my experience, medicine was much more rationed by nature of the way the NHS works. As in, the NHS only prescribes what is needed, as it pays for what is prescribed.

Whereas, from what I know firsthand of the American system, doctors are given the equivalent of kickbacks by pharmaceutical companies to sell drugs like sweets. People demand them, too, as they like the idea of an easy way out of whatever problems might have arisen.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-15-2014, 10:22 AM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

The pharmaceutical industry doesn't create cures, it creates customers.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
The pharmaceutical industry doesn't create cures, it creates customers.
One of the many reasons why I don't believe in markets having anything to do with direct healthcare.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,690
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
The pharmaceutical industry doesn't create cures, it creates customers.
That sounds like dirty Liberal talk.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-15-2014, 10:53 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,923

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
The pharmaceutical industry doesn't create cures.
That's a given, considering that they only combat symptoms.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-15-2014, 04:53 PM
Dithon1 Dithon1 is offline

Needs A Hug
Dithon1's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Over the hills and far away.
Posts: 6,136

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
My mother put me on ritalin when it was the hip new thing to do to kids. It just made me aware of my unshakable depression that's persisted through the rest of my life. I didn't take the pills regularly, I was supposed to but I just remember them making me feel off. It was the source of many fights in my childhood.

As an adult I tried taking something for my depression, it didn't have much effect.
For what it's worth, I've never met anyone who actually liked being on Ritalin. They've always said it made them feel "off."

I didn't take any today to see what the difference was. Was more irritable. Gave up easier. All-around lazier, really, which I suppose you could explain on the burning Southern heat and humidity and being outside for an hour or two at a time, but the weather was the same yesterday and the work I did then took longer and was much more taxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagan View Post
What does it work to do? It works to make you someone other than yourself? If you'd rather read novels, perhaps that is what you should be doing?
I'd rather not end up a fat neckbeard who's too caught up in his own fantasies to make anything of himself.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-15-2014, 04:57 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,690
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
I'd rather not end up a fat neckbeard who's too caught up in his own fantasies to make anything of himself.
Some of us are skinny and shaved.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-15-2014, 05:17 PM
Shroombie Shroombie is offline

Eternal
Shroombie's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,262

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Some of us are skinny and shaved.
Point still stands. If medicine is what it takes for someone to achieve what they want, then more power to them. In some ways, I almost wish I'd been prescribed certain drugs, because I've seen the effects with some friends and it is remarkable.
__________________
...Place loses all significance...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-15-2014, 05:18 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Some of us are skinny and shaved.
You probably can't grow a beard.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-15-2014, 05:20 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,690
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You probably can't grow a beard.
I don't want one.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-15-2014, 05:26 PM
Aneurysm Aneurysm is offline

Problemsolver
Aneurysm's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Here, there, and everywhere.
Posts: 9,311

Default

I took anti-anxiety drugs and antidepressants after my little incident earlier this year. But after a while their effects began to wane, so of course I started abusing them. I decided not to go to the pharmacy to pick any more up after I finished the last bottle at the beginning of May. As long as I keep myself occupied with something I've found I don't really need them either.

Having an addictive and self-destructive personality is a blast.
__________________
My love for you is like a truck, berserker.
Would you like some making fuck, berserker?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eye of kilrog

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.