Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2014, 08:05 PM

Needs A Hug

Default Medical Stuff

Thread for medical questions and such. Not that any of us are actually qualified to tell you anything.

I was wondering how many of you guys take/took any form ADD/ADHD medication at some point.

What was it?

What dose?

How'd it make you feel?

I ask because I started taking mine again after a couple of months because I'm trying to get back into the whole "school" thing. I dunno what it is, but it makes me feel... I suppose "proactive" is the word. I don't think of the list of shit I need to get done and think "meh." I think "I should go do that," and then get stuff done. It makes me feel useful and productive. Content to do a job well, and even somewhat eager to do more than I have to. Then after a few hours (five or six) the anxiety hits and I feel all jittery, and my stomach and brain demands food but my appetite is pretty much gone. It also makes me grind my teeth for some reason.

It's called "Vyvanse" here, although the name differs from country to country. 50mg capsule, which is a bit high but I developed a tolerance to it when I still took it regularly so the dosage had to go up.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:16 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
Thread for medical questions and such. Not that any of us are actually qualified to tell you anything.

I was wondering how many of you guys take/took any form ADD/ADHD medication at some point.

What was it?

What dose?

How'd it make you feel?

I ask because I started taking mine again after a couple of months because I'm trying to get back into the whole "school" thing. I dunno what it is, but it makes me feel... I suppose "proactive" is the word. I don't think of the list of shit I need to get done and think "meh." I think "I should go do that," and then get stuff done. It makes me feel useful and productive. Content to do a job well, and even somewhat eager to do more than I have to. Then after a few hours (five or six) the anxiety hits and I feel all jittery, and my stomach and brain demands food but my appetite is pretty much gone. It also makes me grind my teeth for some reason.

It's called "Vyvanse" here, although the name differs from country to country. 50mg capsule, which is a bit high but I developed a tolerance to it when I still took it regularly so the dosage had to go up.
Hmm I don't know, sounds liek you might've been growing a dependency to it?

I always avoided those types of anti-anxiety medications, except when I have exams in universities. I always get too anxious during those times. This year I haven't taken any.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:21 PM

Needs A Hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
Hmm I don't know, sounds liek you might've been growing a dependency to it?

I always avoided those types of anti-anxiety medications, except when I have exams in universities. I always get too anxious during those times. This year I haven't taken any.
It's not that I can't operate normally without the stuff. I just don't usually feel that motivated to actually get much stuff done that doesn't need to be done right that minute. I've never felt any sort of "withdrawal" symptoms; I just feel the side effects more clearly after a while.

It's not an "anti-anxiety" medication. It can actually causes anxiety.

I don't regret taking the stuff; it really does help.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:25 PM

Elune

Quote:
It's not that I can't operate normally without the stuff. I just don't usually feel that motivated to actually get much stuff done that doesn't need to be done right that minute. I've never felt any sort of "withdrawal" symptoms; I just feel the side effects more clearly after a while.

It's not an "anti-anxiety" medication. It can actually causes anxiety.

I don't regret taking the stuff; it really does help.
Still sounds like you're growing a dependency. The more you grow complacent you become with their benefits, the more mentally and chemically dependent you will become of them.

Besides anything that you can do with those kind of drugs can be done without them it's just a matter of mindset.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:43 PM

Eternal

Don't take drugs, especially mind-altering ones. They are an easy way out, but they don't actually lead out. Only into more despair. Deal with the root of the problem. When not taking the medicine, why do you feel "meh"? Is it possible that your heart is not in what you are doing? If this is the case, don't use drugs to force yourself to do things you do not want to do, or what society tells you. Follow your heart.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:45 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Yeah, I'm just going to say that it's dangerous asking for medical advice regarding pills on a forum filled with gamer nerds.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:00 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Recently I've been coughing up a lot of tonsilloliths. The only real change in my diet or anything has been that I've been drinking a shitload of iced tea recently (I go through a pitcher of unsweetened iced tea a day in the summer, it helps me wean off my soda addiction). But I can't see a link between the two.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:03 PM

Needs A Hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
Still sounds like you're growing a dependency. The more you grow complacent you become with their benefits, the more mentally and chemically dependent you will become of them.

Besides anything that you can do with those kind of drugs can be done without them it's just a matter of mindset.
I was diagnosed with ADD in the 9th grade after I failed because I cared more to read fantasy novels during all my classes than I did to actually learn anything. During all of middle school I was fussed at by teachers for "wasting my potential."

The next year I started taking Vyvanse. Was tops of (most; was tied in some) my classes. Teacher's favorite, ect. Ended up graduating on time. Was never in any Honors courses because I failed my first year of 9th grade. Probably could have been, if I'd asked, but I saw all the useless work that was piled on honors students when we were learning pretty much the same thing and said "fuck that."

Say what you like about the ethics of mind-altering drugs, but that shit works.

Last edited by Dithon1; 06-14-2014 at 11:06 PM..
Old 06-15-2014, 12:44 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:

What was it?

What dose?

How'd it make you feel?

No. In second grade my teacher wanted to diagnose me with ADHD because I was a very active and loud kid. Luckily my mother worked with medecin so she knew that the teacher were talking out of her ss. It was during the 90s and during that decade they tried to diagnose every kid in swedish with ADHD if they were more active than a comatose person.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 06-15-2014, 01:32 AM

Elune

I don't take medication for ADHD or ADD, but I do for other reasons (anxiety and depression).

Just out of curiosity, have you spoken at all to your doctor around the time you ceased taking it, and/or since you started back up? If not, I recommend it, and tell him/her about the problems you're experiencing.

It may be in the end that the medication you're on isn't working quite right for you, which does happen to many people with various medications.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:49 AM

Eternal

Quote:

What does it work to do? It works to make you someone other than yourself? If you'd rather read novels, perhaps that is what you should be doing?
Old 06-15-2014, 07:50 AM

Elune

Quote:
Eating healthy and exercising works too.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:29 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

My mother put me on ritalin when it was the hip new thing to do to kids. It just made me aware of my unshakable depression that's persisted through the rest of my life. I didn't take the pills regularly, I was supposed to but I just remember them making me feel off. It was the source of many fights in my childhood.

As an adult I tried taking something for my depression, it didn't have much effect.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:02 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Just out of curiosity, what does it regularly take for a teacher to recommend Ritalin? Simply being a child and doing things children do?
Old 06-15-2014, 10:07 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Just out of curiosity, what does it regularly take for a teacher to recommend Ritalin? Simply being a child and doing things children do?
I think it heavily depends on the country. In Britain, in my experience, medicine was much more rationed by nature of the way the NHS works. As in, the NHS only prescribes what is needed, as it pays for what is prescribed.

Whereas, from what I know firsthand of the American system, doctors are given the equivalent of kickbacks by pharmaceutical companies to sell drugs like sweets. People demand them, too, as they like the idea of an easy way out of whatever problems might have arisen.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:22 AM

Elune

The pharmaceutical industry doesn't create cures, it creates customers.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:38 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
One of the many reasons why I don't believe in markets having anything to do with direct healthcare.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:48 AM

Elune

Quote:
That sounds like dirty Liberal talk.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:53 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
The pharmaceutical industry doesn't create cures.
That's a given, considering that they only combat symptoms.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:53 PM

Needs A Hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
My mother put me on ritalin when it was the hip new thing to do to kids. It just made me aware of my unshakable depression that's persisted through the rest of my life. I didn't take the pills regularly, I was supposed to but I just remember them making me feel off. It was the source of many fights in my childhood.

As an adult I tried taking something for my depression, it didn't have much effect.
For what it's worth, I've never met anyone who actually liked being on Ritalin. They've always said it made them feel "off."

I didn't take any today to see what the difference was. Was more irritable. Gave up easier. All-around lazier, really, which I suppose you could explain on the burning Southern heat and humidity and being outside for an hour or two at a time, but the weather was the same yesterday and the work I did then took longer and was much more taxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagan View Post
What does it work to do? It works to make you someone other than yourself? If you'd rather read novels, perhaps that is what you should be doing?
I'd rather not end up a fat neckbeard who's too caught up in his own fantasies to make anything of himself.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:57 PM

Elune

Quote:
I'd rather not end up a fat neckbeard who's too caught up in his own fantasies to make anything of himself.
Some of us are skinny and shaved.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:17 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Point still stands. If medicine is what it takes for someone to achieve what they want, then more power to them. In some ways, I almost wish I'd been prescribed certain drugs, because I've seen the effects with some friends and it is remarkable.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:18 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
You probably can't grow a beard.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:20 PM

Elune

Quote:
You probably can't grow a beard.
I don't want one.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:26 PM

Problemsolver

I took anti-anxiety drugs and antidepressants after my little incident earlier this year. But after a while their effects began to wane, so of course I started abusing them. I decided not to go to the pharmacy to pick any more up after I finished the last bottle at the beginning of May. As long as I keep myself occupied with something I've found I don't really need them either.

Having an addictive and self-destructive personality is a blast.

Tags
eye of kilrog