Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2015, 08:14 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I mean... think of Batman, the Tim Burton and Michael Keaton one. Incredibly popular in its time, saved Batman from the Adam West era, people still enjoy it today, etc. etc. But now, more people look to the Batman Begins saga.

Maybe? I dunno; maybe they don't.
The thing is, Batman is Batman. He's been consistently in the public eye and consciousness since the Adam West era. Ask pretty much anyone in the developed world and they know who Batman is.

The Avengers? Up until the movie came out, only comic fans knew who the Avengers were. The Avengers were never the Justice League: Marvel's most popular heroes were rarely in the Avenger's comics. The Avengers is where Marvel put a hero they didn't know what to do with but wanted to keep them in print- because they wanted to sell toys and merch or they wanted to keep the copyright, featuring such illustrious heroes like... er... Wonder Man and Moon Knight. Until the movie came out, the few people who knew about the Avengers knew they were second-stringers at best, compared to the likes of Spider-Man and the X-men. The Avengers movie put the characters and franchise on the map for most of the world. I'd say that aside from the Hulk, most non-comic fans didn't even know any of the characters in the Avengers before their movies came out.

Whenever any future material is made with the Avengers or its members, the Avengers film and greater MCU franchise will be used as a point of comparison.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:26 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
The thing is, Batman is Batman. He's been consistently in the public eye and consciousness since the Adam West era. Ask pretty much anyone in the developed world and they know who Batman is.

The Avengers? Up until the movie came out, only comic fans knew who the Avengers were. The Avengers were never the Justice League: Marvel's most popular heroes were rarely in the Avenger's comics. The Avengers is where Marvel put a hero they didn't know what to do with but wanted to keep them in print- because they wanted to sell toys and merch or they wanted to keep the copyright, featuring such illustrious heroes like... er... Wonder Man and Moon Knight. Until the movie came out, the few people who knew about the Avengers knew they were second-stringers at best, compared to the likes of Spider-Man and the X-men. The Avengers movie put the characters and franchise on the map for most of the world. I'd say that aside from the Hulk, most non-comic fans didn't even know any of the characters in the Avengers before their movies came out.

Whenever any future material is made with the Avengers or its members, the Avengers film and greater MCU franchise will be used as a point of comparison.
Hmm, good points. In relation to them, you could even pinpoint Iron Man and Robert Downey Jr. as the focal point. Who cared about Iron Man before that film? Iron Man's success is what made the Avengers film (and Thor, and Captain America) what they were.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Hmm, good points. In relation to them, you could even pinpoint Iron Man and Robert Downey Jr. as the focal point. Who cared about Iron Man before that film? Iron Man's success is what made the Avengers film (and Thor, and Captain America) what they were.
I mean, I'm a little biased because one of the few things both my mother's and father's side of the family had in common was their love of comic books, and we've always been marginally more of a Marvel than a DC household. So not only do I know Iron Man and Thor and Captain America inside and out but I even know like, Ulysses Klaw and Batroc the Leaper like I grew up with them, 'cause I did.

Iron Man did have a cheesy late 80s cartoon but I don't think it's very fondly remembered.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:31 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
I mean, I'm a little biased because one of the few things both my mother's and father's side of the family had in common was their love of comic books, and we've always been marginally more of a Marvel than a DC household. So not only do I know Iron Man and Thor and Captain America inside and out but I even know like, Ulysses Klaw and Batroc the Leaper like I grew up with them, 'cause I did.

Iron Man did have a cheesy late 80s cartoon but I don't think it's very fondly remembered.
Sure, and it's great that you did know them before. But I didn't. Like you said, back in the day Iron Man wasn't nearly so well-known as the guys who had successful cartoons... X-Men and Spider-Man.

EDIT: I don't think my tone is saying it well, but I'm agreeing with you while praising your fandom of these characters before their time of great popularity.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:33 AM

Elune

Iron Man was a B-level character prior to the movie.

But everyone remembered the Hulk because of that TV show.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:37 AM

Echo of the Past

The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon currently stands as the best non-comic depiction of the Avengers. There is no question or room for dissent.

EDIT: And if I say something wrong about Marvel lore, it's probably because I only learned about the character from that cartoon.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 04-29-2015 at 08:43 AM..
Old 04-29-2015, 08:47 AM

Elune

Quote:
The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon currently stands as the best non-comic depiction of the Avengers. There is no question or room for dissent.

EDIT: And if I say something wrong about Marvel lore, it's probably because I only learned about the character from that cartoon.

The Avengers: United They Stand was better.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:48 AM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

This was actually pretty great
Old 04-29-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post

I feel marvel has always had more b-level characters than DC, though.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:59 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
The Avengers: United They Stand was better.
Wasp and Scarlet Witch? Well now my daughter and I will have to check it out.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:06 AM

Eternal

I haven't seen the movie yet but after watching the latest Agents of Shield I'm curious, is Theta Protocol mentioned at all in the movie?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:42 AM

Elune

Quote:
I feel marvel has always had more b-level characters than DC, though.
True, ever since the dawn of comic books back in the 30s, DC was there first with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.

It wasn't until the 60s that Marvel started to hit it's stride with the Fantastic Four, X-Men and the Avengers.

So the Holy Trinity has been in the public eye and mind far longer then what Marvel has cooked up.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:16 AM

Keeper of Lore

Quote:

I feel like this is only true if you consider everyone other than X-Men and Spider-man to be B rank or lower Which, to be honest, is not necessarily a bad analysis. Marvel had been surprisingly lax on promoting anyone but those two prior to the movies (at least on the mass scale of your average DC hero.. like, the Flash was probably more well known than most Marvel heroes).
Old 04-29-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
I feel like this is only true if you consider everyone other than X-Men and Spider-man to be B rank or lower Which, to be honest, is not necessarily a bad analysis. Marvel had been surprisingly lax on promoting anyone but those two prior to the movies (at least on the mass scale of your average DC hero.. like, the Flash was probably more well known than most Marvel heroes).

I'd arguably put the fantastic four up there, at least until their disastrous Fox movies. For most of their history they were some of Marvel's most popular and innovative characters, only going to shit within the last decade or so.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:48 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

I hate the new Fantastic four. It looks so boring and flavorless.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:56 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
Pretty much. Captain America, Namor and those heroes, once WW2 was over with, they started to fade out of sight. But the DC heroes were still going strong.

Spider-man is really the one exception, when you are comparing the Marvel stable to the DC stable and the whole A-level and B-level. And that just really shows the formula that works. And the Fantastic Four, they were doing well like Omacron said.

For the longest time, the X-men were the B team. It wasn't until the mid-late 70s when Claremont started to write them that they started to become more popular. Giant Sized X-Men #1 was a huge turning point for them. Up to that point Marvel had just put them into reruns for years, after Stan Lee and Jack Kirby left, because the sales and getting people interested in them so they languished.

But like I said, DC gave up Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman back in the 1930s. 30 years later Marvel gave us their memorable characters. So you look over that, then yes, marvel's characters were the B-team compared to guys that had been around for 30+ years.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:41 PM

Keeper of Lore

Quote:
Pretty much. Captain America, Namor and those heroes, once WW2 was over with, they started to fade out of sight. But the DC heroes were still going strong.

Spider-man is really the one exception, when you are comparing the Marvel stable to the DC stable and the whole A-level and B-level. And that just really shows the formula that works. And the Fantastic Four, they were doing well like Omacron said.

For the longest time, the X-men were the B team. It wasn't until the mid-late 70s when Claremont started to write them that they started to become more popular. Giant Sized X-Men #1 was a huge turning point for them. Up to that point Marvel had just put them into reruns for years, after Stan Lee and Jack Kirby left, because the sales and getting people interested in them so they languished.

But like I said, DC gave up Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman back in the 1930s. 30 years later Marvel gave us their memorable characters. So you look over that, then yes, marvel's characters were the B-team compared to guys that had been around for 30+ years.
True. Though to be honest, Batman was also probably pretty b-team until the 70s tv series exploded his popularity (and then of course the movie and animated series). I recall hearing his comics weren't the most popular (at least not compared to, say, Superman)
Old 05-01-2015, 01:22 AM

Saw it today and it was pretty good. Couldn't help but laugh when I realized Quicksilver spends most of the film in a tracksuit. True slav, removed Ultron kebab.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:45 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Default will watch again

Some of Age of Ultrons biggest flaws are also part of what makes it such a cool thing. The MCU has become an episodic epic, and like our favorite TV shows, some of the episodes that have the most important, exciting and cool stuff dont end up being the best episodes.

Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed the crap out of the movie. It was incredibly fun and had some really exciting ~big picture~ twists. But the whole thing had a pretty palpable Tune In Next Week! vibe to it that might be hard to shake for people who arent already sold on the whole Marvel/Avengers thing.

Like, the plot is that simple Milk And Cereal variety and mostly relies on its eclectic ensemble and universe, but thats the strength of the Avengers movies in a sea of more personal individual hero movies. Something big, basic and heck fun to push forward the big picture.

Anyway, The Vision being Jarvis and the Mind Gem is probably the coolest shit ever

Last edited by Porimlys; 05-01-2015 at 03:58 AM..
Old 05-01-2015, 08:04 AM

Elune

I liked it. The Hulk scene confused me a bit.

#TeamRogers

Last edited by SmokeBlader; 05-01-2015 at 08:16 AM..
Old 05-01-2015, 08:56 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
I liked it. The Hulk scene confused me a bit.

#TeamRogers

you civil warring me bro?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:59 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Old 05-01-2015, 10:17 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

It was so good.

My customary spoiler-filled review thread coming soon...
Old 05-01-2015, 10:39 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshadow View Post
you civil warring me bro?
fite me irl fgt
Old 05-01-2015, 10:48 AM

Sha of Disappointment

So how bad's the infighting this time? (Man i have a feeling i will HATE Cap 3...)

Tags
cartoons, entertainment