Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2015, 10:21 AM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
All of this could have been avoided if they'd included the best Avenger, instead of pretending that Ms. Superspy-Has-No-Powers-Just-Sex-Appeal is important.
That would've required treating Pym and his cast like they were important. Which only recently Marvel decided it had enough money to risk doing.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:06 AM

Elune

Quote:
All of this could have been avoided if they'd included the best Avenger, instead of pretending that Ms. Superspy-Has-No-Powers-Just-Sex-Appeal is important.
Hank Pym proves that being able to shrink actually makes you less useful than someone who has no powers at all. There's 40 years of books to back it up.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:08 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
Hank Pym proves that being able to shrink actually makes you less useful than someone who has no powers at all. There's 40 years of books to back it up.
He means Wasp, not Ant-man/Giant-Man/Goliath/Yellowjacket/Wasp
Old 05-05-2015, 11:41 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
He means Wasp, not Ant-man/Giant-Man/Goliath/Yellowjacket/Wasp
So why didn't they go with Hank Pym for the Ant-Man movie? Why should I care about that other guy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:47 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Default I should probably prefix this post with "i fucking love the Avengers movie..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
This amused me to no end.

You can't name a guy in Hollywood who writes/directs better female leads, and that wasn't good enough for them.

Joss Whedon wasn't good enough for the feminazi SJW crowd.

You really can't please some people.
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of this backlash is an answer to his bullshit about the Black Widow Slut-thing (and he MIGHT have said the short revealed scene from Jurassic World where Owen and SciFiBobgirl are talking was sexist, apparently simply because it involved talking about fucking for a whopping two or three seconds. Might have been someone else who's usually a feminist though, I'mma gonna check my source on this one later). There's SJWing and then there's not getting a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Weird, his Marvel movies didn't show it.
Well that too. I dunno if he has any word to speak in terms of merchandise or what movies get made; as far as i understand it they hand him a release date and tell him to print them money. All i can say about Black Widow is that she's a strange case of a seriously underpowered character who drags superpowered Cap A with him because of a need to make her an equal team mate when, realistically, she is not. Sure she could kick the collective asses of 99 percent of all males out there... but she's in the same movie as the Hulk (who is strongest one there is), Captain America (who's the human peak performance personified), Iron Man (who's weaker physically but smart enough to take on the Hulk with his power suit), a literal God-Alien (Ancient Astronauts probably had a field day with this one) and a guy with bow and arrows who's more stationary than her but at least can target more enemies. So i have to ask - tits and ass aside, why is this woman on the team instead of leading Agents of Shield (which i presume has mostly human cast members)? If you HAVE to have a woman on the team (and while we're at it: why not two? Why not three?) was there really no other female hero with some actual superpowers or gadgets you could have chosen? I mean ffs she and Hawkeye seem to exists solely to make Captain America look good and give him someone to shout orders at. Nobody in these movies' production teams gives a flying fuck about continuity so that's not an issue here. WHY Black Widow? If you HAVE to use Black Widow, where's her Iron Lady suit?

Last edited by Commander Rotal; 05-05-2015 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: ... buuuut people wouldn't care and just call me "bitching" again. So why bother.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:48 AM

Elune

Well, there ya go.

Quote:
There are two different gloves. That was not Odinís vault that you see at the end.
There are two Infinity Gauntlets in the MCU.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:51 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of this backlash is an answer to his bullshit about the Black Widow Slut-thing (and he MIGHT have said the short revealed scene from Jurassic World where Owen and SciFiBobgirl are talking was sexist, apparently simply because it involved talking about fucking for a whopping two or three seconds. Might have been someone else who's usually a feminist though, I'mma gonna check my source on this one later). There's SJWing and then there's not getting a joke.
Nah, his Jurassic World comment was based on the fact that the female character was "rigid and cold" and had to be "warmed up and let loose" by the dashing rogue male character, harking back to stereotypes in movies from the 60s and 70s. More or less, I remember reading it. Had nothing to do with anyone mentioning sex.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:55 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
Nah, his Jurassic World comment was based on the fact that the female character was "rigid and cold" and had to be "warmed up and let loose" by the dashing rogue male character, harking back to stereotypes in movies from the 60s and 70s. More or less, I remember reading it. Had nothing to do with anyone mentioning sex.
Yeah again, it was dumb of him to say that; the scene goes there a little bit but only in comparison to raptors.

Ah.

Real Lif... shit... CGI Raptors, that is, not the SoL version. At first he doesn't relate any of this to her, he's just talking about the rap... i'm preaching to the choir, aren't i.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:55 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
Well, there ya go.

There are two Infinity Gauntlets in the MCU.
Infinity armour. PLS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:57 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Why's it called the infinity gauntlet when there's only two of them?
Old 05-05-2015, 11:59 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Why's it called the infinity gauntlet when there's only two of them?
Because it's not one of the infinite gauntlets.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:59 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
So why didn't they go with Hank Pym for the Ant-Man movie? Why should I care about that other guy?
Hank Pym's most iconic moment is slapping his girlfriend during a mental breakdown. His second most iconic moment is building a killer robot during a mental breakdown. He's an interesting character, and I think very poorly handled by most writers, but he's not exactly what you expect when you go watch a movie about a guy called ant-man.

Scott Lang, on the other hand, is best known for being a really dang fun character.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:00 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Because it's not one of the infinite gauntlets.
I still call foul play.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:12 PM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Quote:
Yeah again, it was dumb of him to say that; the scene goes there a little bit but only in comparison to raptors.

Ah.

Real Lif... shit... CGI Raptors, that is, not the SoL version. At first he doesn't relate any of this to her, he's just talking about the rap... i'm preaching to the choir, aren't i.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:18 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Hank Pym's most iconic moment is slapping his girlfriend during a mental breakdown.
Makes you wonder how Reed Richards got it off his resume so quickly.

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/of...e/1100-143296/
Old 05-05-2015, 01:11 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
They are making Pym already part of the unvierse so his past will involve linking with other people. Scott Lang's humor is away more suiting to the MCU and is a criminal or ex-criminal. There is no chance they could have Hank Pym be Pym without all the bad he has done in this style of movie he would end up just like Lang so it is siimpler.

Run
Old 05-05-2015, 01:32 PM

Elune

Quote:
Makes you wonder how Reed Richards got it off his resume so quickly.
Two reasons why Pym got stuck with it, and the others didn't.

One; Richards and Parker got it off their resumes because they actually had stuff going on outside their issues. They have extensive and memorable rogues galleries, a ton of stories that involve them as central characters, and a rich social history that is well-known to comic book readers.

Hank Pym did not have that. While he'd eventually get Ultron and Taskmaster, Pym's rogue gallery at the time was just atrocious. Lemme tell you all of his villains from the first run:
-Comrade X: Russian man with bugspray
-The Protector: A jeweler who extorted other jewelers while wearing a really cool outfit under which he hid a strength-enhancing exo-skeleton. Probably the best member of his original rogue's gallery, and I'm pretty sure he never re-appeared.
-Egghead: An egghead who got hired by random thugs to kill ant-man after the government fired him because he was a dick.
-Scarlet Beetle: A RADIOACTIVE BEETLE.
-The Hijacker: A weapon salesman dressing up like a supervillain to rob himself. Cool-looking character, transplanted into the Thing's villain gallery.
-The Window Washer: An alien who disguised himself as a window washer to rob scientists
-A hypnotist beaten by laryngitis
-The mad master of time: Guy who got fired for being old and now makes everyone old!
-The Creature from Kosmos: A weird alien blob thing that killed the wasp's father.
-Cyclops: An alien cyclops.
-Another hypnotist.
-THE PORCUPINE, who wore a porcupine armour.
-THE HUMAN TOP, who spun around really really fast. Ant-man's arch-nemesis.
-The black knight. Actually really cool, transplanted into Iron Man's villain gallery
-A headbutting luchador.
-Yet Another Hypnotist
-A never-explained giant person.
-An army of super-intelligent soviet gorillas (I love comics)
-The wrecker: yet another shopkeeper posing as a supervillain
-Madam Macabre: A mage with the power of size manipulation (actually kinda interesting, but set up to be an enemy of the Wasp rather than Ant-man)

This had to be the single worst villain gallery in comics at the time. Not only is it a hodge-podge without rhyme or reason, not only was the comic constantly rehashing ideas for its enemies, but none of these guys actually had any kind of connection to Ant-man. They were just folks he occasionally fought, with no emotional connection to the character whatsoever.

As for connections with other characters? There are basically none. Ant-man had one big personal connection in his interaction with the wasp, and that was it. Heck, there's not even any recurring supporting characters in his original series, that's how limited the interaction with others was.

So, okay, that's reason number one. What's reason number two? Well, that reason is that ant-man was always a little... erm. His interactions with The Wasp in the early stories are really weirdly written, especially in the early pages of the avengers. His size-changing formulas always seemed to be putting him under weird pressures. He went through a lot of names in a relatively short amount of time. He was depressed because he was stuck as too tall for a long time. The Wasp needed to get away from things weirdly often. He was always drawn as looking kinda pained.

A lot of this is writing quirks from the time, but as a result of them, his mental breakdown kinda made sense in regards to his long character history. It genuinely seemed as if everything he had been doing had been leading up to that. And couple that with point one, and the writers finally had something to actually define Hank Pym as more than "the super-hero who grows tall".
Old 05-05-2015, 01:38 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
-THE HUMAN TOP, who spun around really really fast. Ant-man's arch-nemesis.
But not Whirlwind?
Old 05-05-2015, 01:48 PM

Elune

Quote:
But not Whirlwind?
Same guy.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:52 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ar-adds-793616

Martin Freeman (bilbo) will be in Civil war.

So much fucking win
Old 05-05-2015, 02:19 PM

Eternal

Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 05-05-2015, 02:23 PM

Elune

To be fair, the safehouse sequence could have probably stood being shorter.

I agree with the rest of the "wuh?" though.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:26 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
What's confusing you, exactly? The article's poking fun at the Marvel execs.

I also found the scene in question rather befuddling.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 05-05-2015, 02:33 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
What's confusing you, exactly?
That Disney thinks they know better than the guy who made one of THE most successfull movies in cinema history...

If i were them, i'd just keep throwing money at him and see what he comes up with.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 05-05-2015, 02:38 PM

Sha of Disappointment

To be fair the only reason The Avengers got as big as it was was because of the marketing strategy that Whedon had nothing to do with. It's not like he's Pacific Rimjob 2's subtitle. Also since when are dream sequences counted as something positive these days?

Tags
cartoons, entertainment