Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2015, 01:54 PM

Eternal
Location: England, Great Britain, Soon to be United States of Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ku'ja View Post
Hulkbuster got its arse kicked it only beat Hulk due to the confusion and Veronica thing that Banner built that rebuild the Hulkbuster constantly .
Eh, still surprised me. The Hulk got beaten up in a straight up fight against Tony Stark of all people. Thor taking him on would make more sense but I don't think he's actually won against him (though I did read one comic where he ended up teleporting Hulk around different planets). I assumed Veronica was actually the armour itself (and the backup stuff in addition).
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
- Father Dennis Edward O'Brian, USMC
Old 05-07-2015, 02:31 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Can you explain this to someone who doesn't read comics?
Spoilered just in case:

The basic gist is that when S.H.I.E.L.D. was founded after WW2, it ran around recruiting scientists from defeated, formerly hostile nations to staff its advanced research divisions. One of them was Arnim Zola (Red Skull’s top HYDRA scientist who was captured during CA1), who went about covertly insinuating HYDRA’s agenda into S.H.I.E.L.D.’s, establishing a core of highly-placed HYDRA-loyal agents as well as members in other government posts and manipulating the organization’s activities from the top down to fuel and preserve global unrest, for the purpose of keeping the world’s affairs from destabilizing and expanding S.H.I.E.L.D.’s powers until such a time as they could openly implement HYDRA goals.

That time came in CA2 with Zola’s computing algorithm that would use everyone’s aggregate public and personal records from the internet and government databanks to calculate whether they posed a potential threat to HYDRA and exterminate any who did wholesale.

Cap stopped it in CA2, though it led to the dissolution of S.H.I.E.L.D., since although most of the field agents and analysts weren’t actually HYDRA (nor was Fury or the council members from Avengers, though his direct boss was), the infiltration was still too long entrenched and pervasive to keep S.H.I.E.L.D. around and risk the same sort of thing happen again because they missed a few HYDRA members.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:35 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Thanks. I was wondering why he'd turned into a hermit.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:30 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Quicksilver is 100% dead.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:53 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
Quicksilver is 100% dead.
Indeed but this we are heading to an Infinity Gauntlet storyline we could very well see Quicksilver come back to fight his sister. Apparently the actor is mean't to reprise his role so it could be a huge possibility.

Run
Old 05-07-2015, 07:59 PM

Banished

Why Marvel refuse to make another Hulk solo? Bruce Banner is such a interesting character.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:07 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Why Marvel refuse to make another Hulk solo? Bruce Banner is such a interesting character.
The Hulk films people want do not involve Banner and Universal owns the rights to his solo films. Simple answer honestly which is why i suspect he will be in other peoples movies like Thor 3: Ragnarok.

Run
Old 05-07-2015, 08:35 PM

Banished

the red hulk potential and abomination stuff (maybe?) for civl war isn't at an all time low.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:39 PM

Elune

Quote:
the red hulk potential and abomination stuff (maybe?) for civl war isn't at an all time low.
It looks like Ross will be as he is now so i think it might end with him becoming the Red Hulk potentially being forced to fight the Avengers by Thanos in the next Avengers film.

Run
Old 05-07-2015, 09:19 PM

Eternal

You guys keep forgetting that Iron Man IS THE AVENGERS.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:32 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
You guys keep forgetting that Iron Man IS THE AVENGERS.
How so you mean because he started it all?

Run
Old 05-08-2015, 05:01 AM

Banished

Before ultron was trying to destroy the world he was on seinfeld.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:27 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Old 05-08-2015, 10:21 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Holy shit, someone check Hell's thermostat, I'm agreeing with the King.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:31 AM

Elune

because universal holds the rights to hulks solo films.
Quote:
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:41 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshadow View Post
And because Hulk ain't Spider-man.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:42 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshadow View Post
Yup which is why if he ever did the likes of Planet Hulk it would be a duo movie with Thor taking Beta Ray Bill's place or someone similar. No idea if they could do that and attain the rights though but i feel like the next big phase after Infinite Gauntlet should either be villains banding together or World War Hulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And because Hulk ain't Spider-man.
Hulk could sell seats easily especially after the last two Avengers he is the stand out to a lot of people new and old fans wise.

Run
Old 05-08-2015, 03:53 PM

Elune

Old 05-08-2015, 06:05 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
There gripe with the Infinity gems being involved seems so dumb to me the Mind Gem is crucial to Vision and therefore Ultron's first story.

Run
Old 05-08-2015, 06:09 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ku'ja View Post
There gripe with the Infinity gems being involved seems so dumb to me the Mind Gem is crucial to Vision and therefore Ultron's first story.
Point being that it's a whole extra subplot, of which there are already too many. A legitimate criticism, imo. The movie felt a bit all over the place at times. For comic fans, awesome - everyone else was likely scratching their heads at times.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:14 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Well, watched the two Captain America movies, and now everything is much clearer.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:25 PM

Elune

I'm not quite sure how I felt about this movie. The action was great, the snappy dialogue fantastic and I loved the villain, but at the same time, the movie felt bloated. The rush to get Ultron into the movie in particular resulted in his 'being' being rather unclear, and his motivations were just confusing (what happened to giving mankind the chance to evolve?). Strucker and Vision both felt rather underused, despite their seeming importance. Strucker died after like two lines of dialogue, while the vision barely has any characterization and is out of sight for a weirdly long portion of the final battle.
Meanwhile, the movie occasionally slowed to a crawl for rather bizarre sequences. Every part of the romance between Romanov and Banner felt awkward and forced in, half the visions ended up amounting to nothing (while Stark's vision felt rather underwhelming considering its relative important), and the scenes at the safehouse just dragged on and on. Also, Quicksilver's death felt very pointless.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:38 PM

Banished

I am kinda sure red skull will be back.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:53 PM

Sha of Disappointment

So i managed to watch Age Of Ultron and because i'm not Bolvar 2.0 juuuust yet i'm not doing my own thread for my review.

Basically i felt like this was a dumb summer movie done right (except it's not summer, i was wearing my winter jacket and didn't sweat at all. And i'm fat, i sweat all the time). Therefore it was highly enjoyable and had little enough actual story going on to avoid too many major plotholes. In fact i didn't really detect any; aside from the weird pool thing my (very few) gripes with AoU come mostly from lazy or hasty writing.

But let's talk about the good stuff first. I hear it's good to start with positives and it's refreshing to talk about a movie that HAS positives.

-) Aside from Bruce Banner and Tony Stark pretty much everyone acted in character and believable (i'm not familiar with Comic!Natasha so i'm giving the movie the benefit of the doubt that this is what a flirting Romanov acts like), and even those two only get excluded because of the AI-things listed below.

-) Ultron, while having problems, is an enjoyable villain they should have spared. I know, i know - not enough movies for a follow up on him but still. I know next to nothing about Ultron in the books but it seemed like they missed an opportunity to have Vision turn him around, either by fixing whatever's wrong with his programming or by talking to him. This is on the positives-list because Ultron is a villain i liked enough to want to see him in another movie, possibly as a good guy.

-) They gave Natasha Romanov a bigger role this time around (noteworthy because they could have easily given her a smaller one considering three quarters of her scenes involve heavy CGI to mask the body doubles for a heavily pregnant Scarlet Johanson). Also nice to see that her character is back to a healthy, normal weight after Captain America 2's poster. Before Black Widow was pretty much on the lower end of my favorites; in AoU she's in the top 3 i'd say.

-) The humor. That is all.

-) At points i had my problems telling what was going on with the robot CGI but overall it helped with their synthetic nature and it was not THAT bad. Hulk looked fine too. This is comparatively high praise.

So basically: didn't love it, but liked it a lot.

Now for the bad parts.
-) Okay this might be a bit nitpicky since they'd probably want me to watch the german dub but WHY is everyone mumbling in these movies? Particularly Robert Downey Junior is hard to understand half the time he opens his mouth.
Honorable mention goes to Ultron's voice who had a similar problem.

-) Ultron's bodies had a bit of a CGI problem to my eyes - the same as in Transformers, actually, where there is too much detail in the same colors to still tell what's going on. He may stand perfectly still and he'd still look like an amorphouse grey blob.

-) Didn't like the backstory they gave to the Twins. Changing some stuff for adaptations isn't okay in my book but the MCU has done it so much for it's movies it doesn't matter too much anymore for me. But that's too big a change in my book. If you don't have the rights MAKE SURE TO ACQUIRE THEM before writing them into your movie. If you still do that DON'T MENTION THE PARENTS. (I can live without the incest subplot though, which is possibly hippocritical and hits for 1.5 times the damage.)

-) Going off the above: i did not care for either of them. I mean i get wanting revenge but for the first half of the movie they're basically assholes who didn't care a peep for innocent lifes and now i'm supposed to buy that they do? Fuck that. Not buying it. They also gave Petro way too little lines to make me feel bad for his Disney Death (i mean let's be real here, they have the technology for what basically amounts to a Goa'Uld Sarcophagus, he'll be back by Avengers 3). No fucks were given that moment. In fact i wish it had hit Hawkeye in that moment. Not because i want to see him die but because HIS death would have hit close to home and made Ultron a bigger threat. Nobody gives a shit about you, Brody, you've been helping a goddamn Nazi not an hour ago.

-) I guess it's an inevitability with a superhero teamup but i just don't like it when the villain needs legions of trash mobs to be dangerous.

-) The infighting. OH GODDESS the goddessdamn infighting.
Look. I get it. Cap 3 is coming, Cap 3 is going to be Civil War and i appreciate - i really, REALLY appreciate - that it will not come out of nowhere. But at the same time i don't go to the movies to see the heroes bicker and fight. It detracts from the movie, it lessens the Heroes, it lessens the story and quite frankly i don't like it. They don't have the running time to have this sort of infighting in every movie. Seriously, Avengers. You're NOT a TV show that can spend half a season on this.

-) Speaking of Civil War leadups... Tony and Banner.
Banner gets away a little better because he merely felt easy to manipulate but Stark acted completely out of character and villainous. I mean i get why he tried to create Ultron. This made sense and fits perfectly with Tony's "DO first, THINK later" approach.
But then he goes ahead and does the DAMN THING A SECOND TIME. Seriously? Seriously. The only reason this didn't blow up in his face a second time was poor luck and Thors intervention (which is a bit of an asspull in and of itself but it gets a pass because it ended the fight early. Seriously, fuck hero infighting. Might as well leave out the villains.).
I MAY have bought this from Iron Man 1 or 2 Tony. Probably not, but giving the benefit here again. But after his boneheaded invitation in Iron Man 3 that resulted in the destruction of his home and Peper's near death i just don't buy that Tony has not learned to look at past mistakes to not make them again. Basically, without knowing how Cap 3 will play out, i'm at the moment purely on Team Cap simply because i feel like they're setting Movie!Iron Man up to become a straight up villain by way of Idiot Ball. Not a fan.

-) The way Vision's creation was started, gone through and dealt with within a single short scene rubbed me in all the wrong ways in all the wrong places. It was a good idea to use the hammer to bring it to an end but still. They created life and... just went with it as if Vision had been on the team for years. Frankly i'd have prefered if they had kept Vision for a future movie and keep the gemmed-up body locked up unfinished. Vision didn't really do anything that Tony couldn't have done with a gadget (which had made more sense considering this is all his fault. Narrative 'n stuff, y'know?).

-) PREFIX PREFIX PREFIX I DO NOT AGREE WITH ANY SJW TROLLING PEOPLE ABOUT THIS LINE PREFIX PREFIX PREFIX
Having said that, though - Natasha's "I'm a monster too"-line was handled very, very badly. If Whedon wanted that line in there as-is, fine, i see what he was doing and what Natasha meant. But the way her monologue was worded i have NO problem believing that someone unobservant heard that in the theater and came to the conclusion that she was calling herself a monster for being sterile. This scene would have needed some editing in this regard and now i see where all the fuss is coming from.

-) And, finally, the big one. The huge one. With the exception of the infighting i consider all of the above nitpicks but this one really upsets me a little.
The fact that Ultron is a villain soley because he's broken. He has no real backstory (i mean he's a few days old tops by the end of the movie), he isn't even really evil, not even for the evulz. He never did anything wrong - Tony hastily created him and by poor accident created him with what amounts to a mental disorder. Ultron doesn't have any noble demon goals, Ultron isn't in it for personal gain, Ultron is coffee maker with a broken handle. He's coocoo for cocopops. He's not evil, he's a VICTIM. And get's blasted in the face for it. Make no mistake - just because he's the opponent here doesn't mean he's a villain. He's merely doing what he believes he was created to do; his faulty programming makes him think that saving humanity and whiping it out is the same thing. Before seeing the movie i thought people exagerated that bit, but no. Ultron literally can't tell that HE is the bad guy and the Avengers are the good guys. He's a gun that accidentally shot it's creator in the face; you don't blame the gun (unless you're a rightwing liberal or a liberal rightwinger, i guess), you blame the idiot that thought looking down a barrel to see why i jamming gun isn't shooting was a good idea.
I KNOW this is what the movie is going for but a bad idea doesn't get much better just because they managed to get it into the movie as intended; it just means it's a bad idea by default. I feel more sorry for Ultron than for any of the civilians in this movie. And i'm pretty sure THAT part wasn't intentional.

-) Not necessarily the movie's fault but i hear Avengers 2 comes with a Jurassic World trailer by default.
I did not get the Jurassic World trailer. I am upset about this.

TL/DR: Liked it, enjoyed it, wished Ultron had lived, wished Tony had been less of a mad scientist, liked Black Widow, liked Black Widow's legs (as CGI or body double they may be), liked Hawkeye, didn't really get into Vision despite loving Jarvis and i'm a sucker for ships so the Helicarrier was nice to see. Also Maria Hill needs a bigger role and less dresses / more pants next time.

That is all.

Last edited by Commander Rotal; 05-09-2015 at 10:58 PM..
Old 05-10-2015, 12:47 AM

Eternal

Doing what he was made to do doesn't make him a victim. The only victims are the innocents who are being lumped along with the worst of people who only wage war.

Like those red people and blue people who want each other dead.

lol remember those people?

Tags
cartoons, entertainment