Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Best Star Wars movie?
A New Hope 0 0%
Empire Strikes Back 14 53.85%
Return of the Jedi 3 11.54%
Phantom Menace 4 15.38%
Attack of the Clones 2 7.69%
Revenge of the Sith 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2014, 01:53 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDimus the Staunch View Post
I may be a much bigger fan of Star Trek, and regard it as a lot better than Star Wars in nearly all fields, except special effects, but I still do like Star Wars.

For me, it's Empire Strikes Back.
V--III-IV--VI--I-II

Why is II lower than I? I find crappy love stories more infuriating than certain characters being very annoying and at least I had Darth Maul(I will admit through--the infamous "Anakin supports Fascism" scene in II is kinda of a unjustified nitpick and it was there just to show how he was messed up)! And Qui-Gon is the main character and I have a certain view of Midichlorians that makes it more acceptable to me at least.

III had enough badass scenes to allow me to forgive what has happened with the dialog. Anakin's motivations should have been the Jedi is evil through because I don't look to passionately to Romantic love in general, and that STANDS even if the lines weren't so awkward and the actors had chemistry. As for the Broken Heart crap, it wasn't that she DIED of a broken heart but how badly the whole romance arc was delivered. If it was done properly I can see people defending that.

Honestly, much of IV is overrated now and hyped through Nostaligia

Honestly Palpatine is the biggest reason that I am somewhat of a PT apologist and I cant' hate the PT fully, that and the various documentaries and books published about the themes in the PT that make me wonder that it didn't have to be remade from scratch, just excecuted poorly. I am an apologist in the sense that they aren't Twilight-level objectively bad movies, had many good points, but the problems were real.

I wouldn't say I is unecessary but I somehow wonder that the PTs, had they been done well, should, aside from restraining Lucas to story creation(he at least has good ideas) started with II as I, II can be a battle in Clone Wars and III is III. That way Anakin gets to be badass and actually FIGHT instead of moaning over his wife 24/7. For me a major problem is that Anakin does NOTHING Badass after he offed that Droid control ship but just moans about being messed up.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson

So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul

Last edited by xie323; 01-13-2014 at 02:11 PM..
Old 01-13-2014, 07:11 PM

Chimaera

I remember as a kid Pre-Prequel's, that Empire was my least favoite while Return was my favorite (loved me some space battle's). This of course has radically changed as I got older...

Currently, Pre-Sequel's, my order goes like:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. New Hope
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace

Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
You've convinced me. Sylvanas shot an infernal, I now trust her with my life.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:10 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post

Also, I don't get why did you make this thread if all you do is telling how bad SW are.
I am not saying that SW is bad. All I am saying is that I feel that the Star Wars movies weren't great, they were very good but not great in terms of acting or story. They were great in terms of what they achieved in terms of technical stuff. The special effects of the OT still hold up today, and that shows how good they were.

I'll be honest, I am not a hardcore Star Wars fan. I used to be when I was younger, but not anymore. I prefer Star Wars games like Kotor and the Jedi Knight games over the movies. But I do like still like Star Wars, even though I am not much of a fan.

Last edited by CoDimus the Staunch; 01-14-2014 at 04:12 AM..
Old 01-14-2014, 11:14 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
I am not saying that SW is bad. All I am saying is that I feel that the Star Wars movies weren't great, they were very good but not great in terms of acting or story. They were great in terms of what they achieved in terms of technical stuff. The special effects of the OT still hold up today, and that shows how good they were.

I'll be honest, I am not a hardcore Star Wars fan. I used to be when I was younger, but not anymore. I prefer Star Wars games like Kotor and the Jedi Knight games over the movies. But I do like still like Star Wars, even though I am not much of a fan.
Why? They have all the good elements that an epic should have, not perfect but surely great.

No, the special effects look horrible today, the OT you saw today was digital fixed for at least twice.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:29 AM

Elune

This poll is wrong, there should have been only one option and that's the Empire Strikes Back.

From top to bottom it's the superior film, and probably the biggest reason was that Lucas didn't direct or write it.

Some other reasons:

1) The Imperial March. 'nuff said
2) The soundtrack. Top to bottom
3) The Man with No Face- Boba Fett. Turned a minute of screen time and a couple lines of dialogue into one of the biggest characters in SW universe. And Lucas admitted that the inspiration was Clint Eastwood's Western character -The Man with No Name.
4) It was the darkest of the films, although RoTS does come close. And everyone lost something in that film. Everyone. No one won.
5) Vader doing what Vader does best. Accepting apologies and breaking windpipes.
6) AT-ATs. I had one as a kid and it was as big as our dog.

Rating the movies:

1) ESB- 'nuff said
2) ANH- Simply because this is the movie that did have the biggest impact, not only in the movie industry, but also in pop culture
3) RoTS- Closest to ESB in terms of mood and was the far superior movie of the prequels. The space battles and the rise of Palpatine was brilliant.
4) Ewoks..... gddamned ewoks. The rest of the movie was wonderful. But seriously, the gddamned ewoks brought down the Empire? gddamned ewoks
5) AotC- I liked the movie for Jango Fett, but it really removed the mystic of Boba Fett as the Man with No Face.
6) TPM- Easily the worse. The only saving grace was Ewan McGregor's roles as Obi-wan. Dude really channeled Alec Guiness and that made the movie bearable.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:33 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
This poll is wrong, there should have been only one option and that's the Empire Strikes Back.

From top to bottom it's the superior film, and probably the biggest reason was that Lucas didn't direct or write it.

Some other reasons:

1) The Imperial March. 'nuff said
2) The soundtrack. Top to bottom
3) The Man with No Face- Boba Fett. Turned a minute of screen time and a couple lines of dialogue into one of the biggest characters in SW universe. And Lucas admitted that the inspiration was Clint Eastwood's Western character -The Man with No Name.
4) It was the darkest of the films, although RoTS does come close. And everyone lost something in that film. Everyone. No one won.
5) Vader doing what Vader does best. Accepting apologies and breaking windpipes.
6) AT-ATs. I had one as a kid and it was as big as our dog.

Rating the movies:

1) ESB- 'nuff said
2) ANH- Simply because this is the movie that did have the biggest impact, not only in the movie industry, but also in pop culture
3) RoTS- Closest to ESB in terms of mood and was the far superior movie of the prequels. The space battles and the rise of Palpatine was brilliant.
4) Ewoks..... gddamned ewoks. The rest of the movie was wonderful. But seriously, the gddamned ewoks brought down the Empire? gddamned ewoks
5) AotC- I liked the movie for Jango Fett, but it really removed the mystic of Boba Fett as the Man with No Face.
6) TPM- Easily the worse. The only saving grace was Ewan McGregor's roles as Obi-wan. Dude really channeled Alec Guiness and that made the movie bearable.
Lucas is the writer of all 6 movies, it was his sole idea to make Vader Luke's father.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:39 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Lucas is the writer of all 6 movies, it was his sole idea to make Vader Luke's father.
Not exactly.

The ESB screenplay was written by Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan. George Lucas was uncredited.

Let me clarify. There is the story and then there is the screenplay.

The story, yes, that is all Lucas.

But the screenplay? That's other people. The Prequels screenplay was written by Lucas and we can see that plain to see. Lucas's screenplay writing/dialogue leave a lot to desire.

Last edited by Ma Caque Attaque; 01-14-2014 at 11:45 AM..
Old 01-14-2014, 11:46 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Not exactly.

The ESB screenplay was written by Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan. George Lucas was uncredited.
The screenplay is based on Lucas' story, also Brackett was dead before the second draft, it was Lucas who rewrite the draft and changed the ending from "Luke got possessed by his father's ghost to fight Vader" to "I AM YOUR FATHER".

Lucas was a very good story writer(beside romance), just not good enough to present it well enough in the movies.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:10 PM

Elune

Quote:
The screenplay is based on Lucas' story, also Brackett was dead before the second draft, it was Lucas who rewrite the draft and changed the ending from "Luke got possessed by his father's ghost to fight Vader" to "I AM YOUR FATHER".

Lucas was a very good story writer(beside romance), just not good enough to present it well enough in the movies.
Lucas rewrote the script twice, after Beckett's death, but then handed it over to Kasdan who wrote the final screenplay.

Interestingly enough Kasden will also be writing the script for the upcoming movies.

Did Lucas have his fingerprints in it? Yeah, of course. But when it came to the screenplay, it was Beckett and Kasdan who wrote and got the credit for it.

We are not talking about the situation with the prequels and the first SW movie where the screenplay was written by Lucas himself.

Again, we are talking about two different things. Story and screenplay. They are similar but separate. Story and screenplay. Screenplay and story.

When it comes to story, yes, Lucas has some great ideas. But when it comes to screenplays and dialogue? Ugh, the guy has some serious issues. Any Padme/Anakin scenes were just painful to watch.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:55 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Outside of maybe Obi-Wan and Han Solo I'm not sure Star Wars was known for its high quality acting. So no one scene sticks out to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:07 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Lucas rewrote the script twice, after Beckett's death, but then handed it over to Kasdan who wrote the final screenplay.

Interestingly enough Kasden will also be writing the script for the upcoming movies.

Did Lucas have his fingerprints in it? Yeah, of course. But when it came to the screenplay, it was Beckett and Kasdan who wrote and got the credit for it.

We are not talking about the situation with the prequels and the first SW movie where the screenplay was written by Lucas himself.

Again, we are talking about two different things. Story and screenplay. They are similar but separate. Story and screenplay. Screenplay and story.

When it comes to story, yes, Lucas has some great ideas. But when it comes to screenplays and dialogue? Ugh, the guy has some serious issues. Any Padme/Anakin scenes were just painful to watch.
Like I said, he couldn't present his story well enough in the movies, yeah some of his lines are horrible but there were also some good ones like the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise. As for the Anakin/Padme, it's not just the lines, Lucas is just bad at writing romance story.

Also I don't buy the Ewan praise especially in EP I, when I watched the movie as a kid he was a little nobody before Liam Neeson, when I rewatched it again in 2012 I still think the same. I believe people like him only because they were fans of Obi Wan in the OT.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:34 AM

The Sun King

Slow, I'm not sure what you're arguing for. It is known that ESB's higher quality of dialogue came from the fact that Lucas was not the only one writing it and had been double-checked by multiple people.

(Not many know that Lucas also hired writers from Playboy to double-check his dialogue for ROTS, to make it more "human"... Somehow I think he didn't listen much to their opinions)
Old 01-15-2014, 02:45 AM

Eternal

I personally feel that Lucas is underrated. At the same time, there is no denying that his dialogue and screenplay writing sucks. He just gets good ideas, but can't implement them properly at all.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:28 AM

Banished

Quote:
I personally feel that Lucas is underrated.
He's not.

He already gets far too much circlejerking sycophantry from the Hollywood club, let's not give his ego more.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:35 AM

Eternal

Underrated by people and fans, I mean, not by his friends.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:47 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Slow, I'm not sure what you're arguing for. It is known that ESB's higher quality of dialogue came from the fact that Lucas was not the only one writing it and had been double-checked by multiple people.

(Not many know that Lucas also hired writers from Playboy to double-check his dialogue for ROTS, to make it more "human"... Somehow I think he didn't listen much to their opinions)
I'm just saying that Lucas still got something to do with the lines, especially the I AM YOUR FATHER one.

Yeah some of his lines are bad but some are cool as well.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:51 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
I'm just saying that Lucas still got something to do with the lines, especially the I AM YOUR FATHER one.
Yes, this one was his personal secret until the very process of filming.

I'm talking about things like Yoda's dialogue, or the "I know" line, which were all made right by Lucas's checkers.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:14 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Yes, this one was his personal secret until the very process of filming.

I'm talking about things like Yoda's dialogue, or the "I know" line, which were all made right by Lucas's checkers.
The "I know" line was Harrison Ford's own creation, the screenplay let him say "I love you, too".

Tags
star trek, star wars