Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2015, 10:53 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default Faction systems in MMO's

Wanted to make this in the general thread since it pertains to something of larger scope than WoW.

Anyway, I wanted to ask what other people think of the premise of factions in MMO's since they are one of the most pervading concept in the genre. Even GW2, a considered neutral MMO, still incorporates factions to some degree with your choice of race and what part of the Pact you work with.

Other questions that I've thought about:

How can factions be improved in future MMO's?

How can they still be maintained as a meaningful aspect to the game without necessarily placing too many limitations on the player?

Can there be proper conflict between factions while still allowing for a sense of cooperation for the players on opposite sides in the thick of it all?

In my own opinion I like factions. I think they give a sense of meaningful choice for your character, and there are definitely good ways that they can be handled if given enough tact to do so. There are certain aspects I don't like, such as locking you from grouping with other players because of what faction they belong to, and I think that's something that should be evolved away from as it contradicts the entire point of what an MMO is supposed to be. On the other hand, I also like stories of conflict and division between factions. I think, to some extent, Guild Wars 2 has shown a great way to have different groups and factions working together while still maintaining that they don't necessarily like or agree with each other on matters. Asura don't have much in common with Norn, Humans will likely maintain being suspicious of Charr despite their current ceasefire. The Vigil, Durmand Priori, and Order of Whispers often lock horns on how to handle global issues. You get the idea. I wouldn't mind more MMO's evolving on a similar path to GW2 though doing something different with factions in their own ways.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:15 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Make a game with it in mind and revolve the game around it. If you want to add other stuff into the game, make the conflict a background issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:44 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

I think it's interesting, but not easy to handle well, gonna sleep now, will talk about it tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:06 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Make a game with it in mind and revolve the game around it. If you want to add other stuff into the game, make the conflict a background issue.
Hm, can you go in more detail? It's not a bad idea though I think games like Wildstar do that, yet I'm not too fond of being restricted from grouping with other players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
I think it's interesting, but not easy to handle well, gonna sleep now, will talk about it tomorrow.
Still waiting on this.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:21 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Ok, I think factions make one thing sure, there is no one, single unstoppable faction that smash whatever on its way to ashes. That would be boring.

But you have to make sure a few things.

There are clear difference, conflict and gap between the factions. Pre-Cata WOW failed on this.

At the same time, do not overly create conflict without much sense. Cata and beyong WOW failed on this.

Do not insert a race into one faction without making a logical story.

It would be better to let the two factions use each other, make enemies and friends at the same time. I always think three factions would probably bring more balance, not sure about how is ESO's three factions.

Personally I don't think two Faction in WOW are that big of a problem compare to the problem of how did they handle different races in one faction. Some got way too overshadowed(Tauren), some got downplayed and twisted(Night elves), and some got way too overused(humans and orcs).

Tags
disband all factions, factions, factions are dumb, mmos