Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2012, 12:06 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Pretty good night for the Tea Party.

One of every three Democrats in West Virginia prefer a federal inmate over Barack Obama in the Democratic Primary.

Rick Santorum wins more votes than Ron Paul... even weeks after dropping out.

North Carolina became the 31st state to pass a constitutional amendment defining marriage as 1 man, 1 woman.

Unrelated, but... lots of Jews want to leave France these days.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:48 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
North Carolina became the 31st state to pass a constitutional amendment defining marriage as 1 man, 1 woman.
Which is absolutely not the state's job. If it's about the "sanctity" of marriage than the only group that should be allowed to make such a decision is a religious body. Otherwise, the state should have absolutely no say in the matter.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:24 AM

Eternal
Location: England, Great Britain, Soon to be United States of Europe

Quote:
Interesting reason given in the comments.
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
- Father Dennis Edward O'Brian, USMC
Old 05-09-2012, 11:48 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomEvilGuy View Post
Interesting reason given in the comments.
I could quote several hilarious arguments from the comments section but none of them are very funny because the people writing actually believe all this bullshit so it's mostly just scary.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:58 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Which is absolutely not the state's job. If it's about the "sanctity" of marriage than the only group that should be allowed to make such a decision is a religious body. Otherwise, the state should have absolutely no say in the matter.
I'd be OK with this, but the fact is, the state has had a say in the matter for a long, long time.

What's funny about all this is the DNC is having their big convention this summer in North Carolina. Now there's talk that they might have to move it because of the circus this creates for them.

Bolvar is amused.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:43 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon View Post
I could quote several hilarious arguments from the comments section but none of them are very funny because the people writing actually believe all this bullshit so it's mostly just scary.
Indeed. Although the population differences may well be accurate.
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
Old 05-09-2012, 01:29 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Muslims live in France. It's the harbinger of a new Dark Age people! Why aren't you wearing your tinfoil hats?!!!
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:38 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
Muslims live in France. It's the harbinger of a new Dark Age people! Why aren't you wearing your tinfoil hats?!!!
Of course it is! See, the Dark Age was created by religion, so it being still there is Dark Age 2: Origins!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:38 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Quote:
Because it's true.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ng-racist.html

Also: Political correctness cripples our abilities to fight the Islamic enemy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:49 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure you're really trying to see both sides here.

Ganishkas right about political correctness. The fact that there's a reluctance to even investigate certain communities because makes it just as bad as having it too far the other way.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:14 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuber8900 View Post
Of course it is! See, the Dark Age was created by religion, so it being still there is Dark Age 2: Origins!
If a new Dark Age is coming, I want as many Muslims around me as possible. That's how Spain dominated the Western Hemisphere for a few centuries.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:27 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
If a new Dark Age is coming, I want as many Muslims around me as possible. That's how Spain dominated the Western Hemisphere for a few centuries.
It wasn't because they were Muslim, it was because they were lucky enough to have gotten all that science and stuff from the Greeks, Jews, Hindus and Persians. That alchemaical mix of science, math and philosophy would have created a boom in that region no matter what religion was there. Also, the Caliph (of Cordoba) had a massive fear of Islamic fanaticism, much to the dismay of the clerics.

Quote:
Quote:
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:41 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Thus will begin the advent of the Patrol-Boat.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:45 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganishka View Post
It wasn't because they were Muslim, it was because they were lucky enough to have gotten all that science and stuff from the Greeks, Jews, Hindus and Persians. That alchemaical mix of science, math and philosophy would have created a boom in that region no matter what religion was there. Also, the Caliph (of Cordoba) had a massive fear of Islamic fanaticism, much to the dismay of the clerics.
Clearly there was no way I could have been anything but 100% serious in my sentiment that history would repeat itself precisely.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:40 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganishka View Post
Those dirty cheating Muslims copying the work of people who came before them and expanding on it, its a good thing good honest Christians never did anything like that!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:33 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
Those dirty cheating Muslims copying the work of people who came before them and expanding on it, its a good thing good honest Christians never did anything like that!
Oh, they did. They just never claimed it was theirs after copying and gave Aristotle and Socrates their due.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-09-2012, 06:56 PM

Elune

Most of the Greek works we have today are due to preservation by Muslim proto-scientists and libraries. Since they didn't erase Plato's name off everything I think they did fine giving credit where it was due.

Plus, how would the Christians at the time have "given credit where credit was due" when all those works were lost to them? It's doubtful they even knew who Aristotle was.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:46 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Old 05-11-2012, 01:37 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Hey it works, it will make his opponent look bad and he better by it.

It will also say a lot about america to the rest of the world, Obama if you want to go forward with stuff, Mitt if you want to look like your behind times.

The classical political fight between liberalism and conservationism
Old 05-11-2012, 01:45 PM

Elune

Quote:
Most of the Greek works we have today are due to preservation by Muslim proto-scientists and libraries. Since they didn't erase Plato's name off everything I think they did fine giving credit where it was due.

Plus, how would the Christians at the time have "given credit where credit was due" when all those works were lost to them? It's doubtful they even knew who Aristotle was.
But they never claimed Aristotle was Christian, either. Current Islamic scholars claim that most science comes from them, which is just plain wrong.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-11-2012, 02:06 PM

Demon Hunter
BattleTag: ask#1111

Quote:
But they never claimed Aristotle was Christian, either.
Seeing as the person you are quoting is noting that the Christians may not have even known who Aristotle was, this kind of seems like a silly statement unless you are going to disagree with that statement.

Quote:
Current Islamic scholars claim that most science comes from them, which is just plain wrong.
Current Christian scholars claim that the earth was made in 6 days 6000 years ago, which is just plain wrong.

Referring to "x scholars believe y" as if they're a monolithic entity is a pretty dickish way of comparing two different groups. Might the ratio of sane to insane differ? Sure. But that's a different question, and I suppose requires much more than "herp derp listen to the stupid things this radical group says, Islamic scholars are crazy. Totally different than any other group of scholars."
Old 05-11-2012, 02:43 PM

Elune

I see you've met Ganishka.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:56 PM

Demon Hunter
BattleTag: ask#1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
I see you've met Ganishka.
I didn't connect the name to the quote in your signature. I'm too used to not looking at names and just looking at the posts themselves. I suppose I could have saved myself some effort...but the SIWOTI, it burns! I haven't really paid attention to General Discussion, so I'm not familiar with people who haven't recently been posting in lore forums.

Last edited by Grig; 05-11-2012 at 05:04 PM..
Old 05-11-2012, 05:01 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Crossed Swords (War2)

You still have that in your sig? Fojar I expect better of you.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:45 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grig View Post
Seeing as the person you are quoting is noting that the Christians may not have even known who Aristotle was, this kind of seems like a silly statement unless you are going to disagree with that statement.
I know it is true that they didn't know who Aristotle probably was. That is somewhat obvious.

Quote:
Current Christian scholars claim that the earth was made in 6 days 6000 years ago, which is just plain wrong.

Referring to "x scholars believe y" as if they're a monolithic entity is a pretty dickish way of comparing two different groups. Might the ratio of sane to insane differ? Sure. But that's a different question, and I suppose requires much more than "herp derp listen to the stupid things this radical group says, Islamic scholars are crazy. Totally different than any other group of scholars."
The first point is true, but I'm not talking about them, now am I? The idiocy of some Christian teachings isn't a part of my argument, and is therefore irrelevent.

Islamic scholars also advise death for apostasy and stoning for adultery, as it says in the Hadith (note that this is in all schools of Islamic jurisprudence and is not just some anomaly from some radical group, it is mainstream). Please do find me 5 Christian scholars who say the same (you won't).

Wait, why am I arguing with someone who has no manners in talking to others?

Quote:
Quote: