Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Best Star Trek movie?
Star Trek The Motion(less) Picture 0 0%
Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan 8 57.14%
Star Trek 3 0 0%
Star Trek 4:The Voyage Home 0 0%
Star Trek 5-The one which shouldn't even be on this poll 0 0%
Star Trek 6:The Undiscovered Country(or Shakespeare in Space) 3 21.43%
Star Trek Generations(or the one with the worst death in Star Trek history) 0 0%
Star Trek First Contact 1 7.14%
Star Trek Insurrection 0 0%
Star Trek Nemesis 0 0%
JJ Trek 1 7.14%
Star Trek Into Darkness(or JJ Trek:The Wrath of Khan remake) 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2013, 09:25 AM

Ranger
BattleTag: Eimi#1918

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDimus the Staunch View Post
Why no love for First Contact? I mean, it's generally considered the 2nd best Trek movie, and in most Star Trek forums, turns up second at the poll, with TWoK being first always, and Star Trek 6 being third, with 4 being fourth, and then 3 and JJ Trek.
I hate it because it really cheapens First Contact in and of itself, it ruined the Borg (again), and Picard's personality shift makes no sense whatsoever. If First Contact was right after Family, then okay it makes sense. But after the events of I, Borg Picard being all like KILL EM ALL is pretty stupid, especially as the RLM review points out, callously gunning down crew members he knows he could save. Like all the TNG movies, it tries to be an action movie with a cast not suited for action.

On Search for Spock, SFDebris highlights its main problem, incredibly heavy drama stuff happens in the movie, the death of the Enterprise and the death of Kirk's son, but the movie does not give them the gravitas they deserve. I still enjoy the movie greatly, but it could've been great instead of simply okay.

Also Undiscovered Country should be up there with WoK as a great movie, not simply a good one.

Quote:
"Do they not know who we are, my brethren? We are the chosen of the Emperor, the scions of Terra. We are dominion and we are numberless. We are war itself and the death of all who oppose us. We are Humanity and we shall educate our ignorant foes as to the true meaning of that word!"
--Lord Inquisitor Aedrick Mantel of the Ordo Xenos

Last edited by Melisande; 12-27-2013 at 09:27 AM..
Old 12-27-2013, 09:28 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
I hate it because it really cheapens First Contact in and of itself, it ruined the Borg (again), and Picard's personality shift makes no sense whatsoever. If First Contact was right after Family, then okay it makes sense. But after the events of I, Borg Picard being all like KILL EM ALL is pretty stupid, especially as the RLM review points out, callously gunning down crew members he knows he could save. Like all the TNG movies, it tries to be an action movie with a cast not suited for action.
You've improved in my eyes friend.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:37 AM

Eternal

I dunno, the way Picard behaved in First Contact didnt seem forced to me. Inconsistent maybe, but not unnatural. He did suffer from a lot of trauma from the Borg, and I think that he wasnt as ruthless as some may feel.
But then of course we all have different opinions. I also happen to enjoy JJ Trek despite all the character butchery of Kirk(setiously I hate new Kirk) and the other characters.

3 was great if you love the TOS characters.

Last edited by CoDimus the Staunch; 12-27-2013 at 09:39 AM..
Old 12-27-2013, 09:39 AM

Banished

My main gripe with Generations, despite Kirk's death, which I agree was terrible, was the way they ruined a fantastic episode's end (Family - Season 4 Episode 2) by killing of Picard's brother and nephew.

I know that Star Trek isn't exactly a rainbows and sunshine universe, and therefore bad shit happens, but nor is it grimdark. It just felt a bit too forced for me to justify the whole Picard/Nexus bit.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:46 AM

Eternal

Generations would have been a good tng episode imo, but as a movie it was way too unimpressive. You expect more. And Kirks death of course ruined it all and so did the unecessary deaths of Picards family. The story was ok I suppose.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:50 AM

Ranger
BattleTag: Eimi#1918

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDimus the Staunch View Post
But then of course we all have different opinions. I also happen to enjoy JJ Trek despite all the character butchery of Kirk(setiously I hate new Kirk) and the other characters.
If JJKirk got killed off and Spock made the captain I would be enthusiastic about JJTrek. Quinto is fantastic as Spock, and his character carries 1. Cannot quite save Into Darkness though. I wish they just took the whole alternate universe premise and ran with it, instead of doing TOS but NEWER and SEXIER. (nothing forgives the Apple store bridge. )

Quote:
"Do they not know who we are, my brethren? We are the chosen of the Emperor, the scions of Terra. We are dominion and we are numberless. We are war itself and the death of all who oppose us. We are Humanity and we shall educate our ignorant foes as to the true meaning of that word!"
--Lord Inquisitor Aedrick Mantel of the Ordo Xenos
Old 12-27-2013, 09:51 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
Quinto is fantastic as Spock
I'll agree with this.

And Urban is a fantastic Bones.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:42 AM

Eternal

Yes, Urban is awesome as Bones. I wish that they give him more of a role in the next Star Trek movie.

Tags
best sci-fi franchise, ego+opinions=drama, entertainment, star trek, star wars