Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Best Star Wars movie?
A New Hope 0 0%
Empire Strikes Back 14 53.85%
Return of the Jedi 3 11.54%
Phantom Menace 4 15.38%
Attack of the Clones 2 7.69%
Revenge of the Sith 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2014, 08:12 AM

Eternal

Default Best Star Wars movie!

I may be a much bigger fan of Star Trek, and regard it as a lot better than Star Wars in nearly all fields, except special effects, but I still do like Star Wars.

For me, it's Empire Strikes Back.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:41 AM

Banished

Empire wins by so far a distance it's in a Galaxy far, far away.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:42 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

They are all boring movies, so I just chose the last one. Secondary reason:

I like this scene:
Old 01-11-2014, 08:52 AM

Sha of Disappointment

The Thrawn Trilogy.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:13 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

As a movie, ESB is the best but RotS is my favorite.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:34 PM

Ashbringer
BattleTag: Montoya#1769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
As a movie, ESB is the best but RotS is my favorite.
I think Empire Strikes Back is the best quality, but Return of the Jedi has a special place in my heart. The Ewoks are the main thing that take it down a peg.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:10 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya View Post
I think Empire Strikes Back is the best quality, but Return of the Jedi has a special place in my heart. The Ewoks are the main thing that take it down a peg.
RotJ as a independent movie, probably is the worst among the OT due to many reasons, a 2nd Death Star, no further character development on Han or Leia, Ewoks.

However, Luke and Vader's development was so epic, yes it's my personal favorite of the OT.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:54 AM

Eternal

The Empire Strikes Back
Old 01-12-2014, 01:24 AM

The Sun King

Gold (War3)

My personal ranking is like this:

1) Ep V

2) Ep III

3) Ep IV

4) Ep II

5) Ep VI - Ep I

Empire Strikes Back is a genuinely good fantastica, and probably the only film of the series I wouldn't be ashamed to show the non-fans. It still has this retro feel, but it lives up to today through having eligible dialogue, an outstanding musical score and great shots overall.

Revenge of the Sith is the only film of the series that actually shows the massive galaxy-wide war. I'm willing to forgive its horrible dialogue flaws if only because of how much it brought to the lore. This one I too would show to the non-fans, although more for the "flashy sci-fi visuals" (which are all great), then for retro/meaningful. Probably show them the Russian version too (which got technical terms all wrong, but at least Anakin doesn't sound like a whiny retard!) Also, I noticed that this is the movie that has the biggest "convert to interested/fans" rate (again, wide world shown through minute-length moments). Its biggest flaw though is that you won't get half the film without watching corresponding EU material (hello, Grievous!)

A New Hope... The more I watch it, the more I think that most of it good points are gained through the nostalgia/retro factor. It's pretty boring, and Williams' score (which usually saves Star Wars movies from being utterly bad) is kinda underdeveloped at this point, IMHO. Probably would get a lower score if not for the Adywan's revisited version, which made the film much livelier and more watchable today.

Attack of the Clones could have been good if something like the Battle of Geonosis had more screentime than boring, SUDDEN romance. The eponymous clones needed more screentime, instead giving place to what is probably the start of flashy Jedi invincible lightsaber bullshit which plagued EU since then.

The Phantom Menace is very... unlike the others. It's as if Lucas just sobered up from non-stop filming of Ewoks and decided that kids would love toned-down stuff the most. I don't really hate Jar-Jar, but I think his moments brought the film onto much lower level than, say, C3PO's in the next movies - the illusion of seriousness of the situation is ruined. Jar-Jar already makes the adventure feel like a second-rate Pixar cartoon, but the icing on the cake is that the planet (and the whole royal defense force) is ultimately saved by a little kid, surrounded by incompetent adults. I actually liked the politics and was surprised that a lot of people frowned out upon them as "too much talk, non-star wars" - well, good luck watching the "star warsy" parts done by the kid next door.

Return of the Jedi is watched by Kir this way: 1) Watch Vader's arrival; 2) Fastforward to Palpatine's arrival; 3) Fastforward to the Shuttle Tydirium scene; 4) Fastforward to the finale of Vader vs Luke fight; 5) Stop the movie. The rest of the film, from disgusting, gut-wrenching Jabba's alien party; to the incredibly stupid starfight scene; to EWOKS and the whole ending, leaves me more disgusted than the stupid Tatooine and Jar-Jar moments of TPM. But those four scenes were great, yes.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:14 AM

Eternal

To be honest, none of the Star Wars films could really be described as great. They did achieve a lot, but it was all technical stuff, like special effects and music.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:34 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDimus the Staunch View Post
To be honest, none of the Star Wars films could really be described as great. They did achieve a lot, but it was all technical stuff, like special effects and music.
Well, maybe. I think the main achievement is world-building that lures more and more fans to buy your products, to the point that I probably enjoy a lot of EU stuff (like, y'know, the games, or the Thrawn Trilogy) more than G-canon.

(not that EU is without sins)
Old 01-12-2014, 06:24 AM

Elune

Best story: Empire strikes back

Best action: Revenge of the Sith
Old 01-12-2014, 06:41 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Return of the Jedi is watched by Kir this way: 1) Watch Vader's arrival; 2) Fastforward to Palpatine's arrival; 3) Fastforward to the Shuttle Tydirium scene; 4) Fastforward to the finale of Vader vs Luke fight; 5) Stop the movie. The rest of the film, from disgusting, gut-wrenching Jabba's alien party; to the incredibly stupid starfight scene; to EWOKS and the whole ending, leaves me more disgusted than the stupid Tatooine and Jar-Jar moments of TPM. But those four scenes were great, yes.
Every scene with Palpatine is immense, still one of my favourite villains in any setting.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:36 AM

Elune

I liked them all equally but voted Phnatom Menace because of...

DARTH MAUL
Old 01-12-2014, 11:51 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
My personal ranking is like this:

1) Ep V

2) Ep III

3) Ep IV

4) Ep II

5) Ep VI - Ep I

Empire Strikes Back is a genuinely good fantastica, and probably the only film of the series I wouldn't be ashamed to show the non-fans. It still has this retro feel, but it lives up to today through having eligible dialogue, an outstanding musical score and great shots overall.

Revenge of the Sith is the only film of the series that actually shows the massive galaxy-wide war. I'm willing to forgive its horrible dialogue flaws if only because of how much it brought to the lore. This one I too would show to the non-fans, although more for the "flashy sci-fi visuals" (which are all great), then for retro/meaningful. Probably show them the Russian version too (which got technical terms all wrong, but at least Anakin doesn't sound like a whiny retard!) Also, I noticed that this is the movie that has the biggest "convert to interested/fans" rate (again, wide world shown through minute-length moments). Its biggest flaw though is that you won't get half the film without watching corresponding EU material (hello, Grievous!)

A New Hope... The more I watch it, the more I think that most of it good points are gained through the nostalgia/retro factor. It's pretty boring, and Williams' score (which usually saves Star Wars movies from being utterly bad) is kinda underdeveloped at this point, IMHO. Probably would get a lower score if not for the Adywan's revisited version, which made the film much livelier and more watchable today.

Attack of the Clones could have been good if something like the Battle of Geonosis had more screentime than boring, SUDDEN romance. The eponymous clones needed more screentime, instead giving place to what is probably the start of flashy Jedi invincible lightsaber bullshit which plagued EU since then.

The Phantom Menace is very... unlike the others. It's as if Lucas just sobered up from non-stop filming of Ewoks and decided that kids would love toned-down stuff the most. I don't really hate Jar-Jar, but I think his moments brought the film onto much lower level than, say, C3PO's in the next movies - the illusion of seriousness of the situation is ruined. Jar-Jar already makes the adventure feel like a second-rate Pixar cartoon, but the icing on the cake is that the planet (and the whole royal defense force) is ultimately saved by a little kid, surrounded by incompetent adults. I actually liked the politics and was surprised that a lot of people frowned out upon them as "too much talk, non-star wars" - well, good luck watching the "star warsy" parts done by the kid next door.

I think the problem of RotS was:

It was too rushed, some important scenes were even deleted, the novel did a better job.

I don't agree RotJ was that bad, the character development of Luke and Vader is so epic.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:11 PM

Elune

Does Liv Tyler plays a role in Star Wars?
Old 01-12-2014, 12:19 PM

Demon Hunter
BattleTag: Pvarron#1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
I liked them all equally but voted Phnatom Menace because of...

DARTH MAUL
Old 01-12-2014, 12:23 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

I hope so, I think she would be perfect to play the Daughter of Mortis.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:10 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Empire has always been my favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 01-12-2014, 01:13 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Rewatching the OT, I really think Lucas was horrible on writing romance, you can say Anakin and Padme's romance was bad, but Han and Leia's was also quite rushed, not just that bad.

Also people criticize Padme's character but Leia was worse. She had little character development after her homeworld was destroyed, and worse, she was completely kept out from the Vader/Twins conflict, after learning the truth, she didn't even have a chance to see her father or react to the fact of Vader being her father in the movies.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:16 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

I keep saying to myself I don't ESB, but idk why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:40 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Rewatching the OT, I really think Lucas was horrible on writing romance, you can say Anakin and Padme's romance was bad, but Han and Leia's was also quite rushed, not just that bad.

Also people criticize Padme's character but Leia was worse. She had little character development after her homeworld was destroyed, and worse, she was completely kept out from the Vader/Twins conflict, after learning the truth, she didn't even have a chance to see her father or react to the fact of Vader being her father in the movies.
Padme died due to some 'broken heart' bullshit. And was dependent on Anakin. Are you telling me that she, who was a horribly weak and poorly written character, was better than Leia? Mind you, Leia isn't a particularly well written character, but then, Star Wars films have no character who is well written. They all range from okayish to horrible.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:00 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Padme died due to some 'broken heart' bullshit. And was dependent on Anakin. Are you telling me that she, who was a horribly weak and poorly written character, was better than Leia? Mind you, Leia isn't a particularly well written character, but then, Star Wars films have no character who is well written. They all range from okayish to horrible.
She tried to discuss, even ask Palpatine to give up power after the war is over, in EP I she tried to lead the fight to take her homeworld back. In EP II she also tried to figure out Dooku's plan.

And Leia wasn't depend on Luke and Han to save her in EP IV? She wasn't depend on Han Solo and Lando to protect her in EP V, and Luke to save her in EP VI?

At least Padme had to make a hard choice between her love and the Republic, she had conflict, what conflict did Leia have? She had no character development when her homeworld was blown up, she was totally kept out from the Vader/his children struggle.

Star Wars are great movies, quite a few of the characters are very well written like Luke, Vader, Palpatine and Han.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:43 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Oh, but I think ESB did it quite nicely.

I believe that part of the romance dynamic in EpV is the love triangle. Who's better for Leia, Luke or Han? Will Han even survive Jabba? Find out in the next installment.

However, it is thrown out of the window in VI, where Luke is all "You're my sister!" and Leia's like "Yeah, I always knew". I think it kinda damaged the romance dynamics of IV-V.

Quote:
Padme died due to some 'broken heart' bullshit.
That turned out to be the alien robot talking out of his ass because he had little experience with human matrimony.

Also, I don't get why did you make this thread if all you do is telling how bad SW are.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:51 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Oh, but I think ESB did it quite nicely.

I believe that part of the romance dynamic in EpV is the love triangle. Who's better for Leia, Luke or Han? Will Han even survive Jabba? Find out in the next installment.

However, it is thrown out of the window in VI, where Luke is all "You're my sister!" and Leia's like "Yeah, I always knew". I think it kinda damaged the romance dynamics of IV-V.
I think it's too rushed, just Harrison's awesome acting skill made it much better and the PT romance was worse.

Leia being Luke's sister was fine, the problem is that she didn't get involved with Vader after that.

Tags
star trek, star wars