Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Spock vs Data:Who do you like more?
Spock 11 55.00%
Data 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2014, 11:43 PM

Eternal

Default Spock vs Data!

So, which of these two characters do you like more?

For me, it was tough to decide, but I have to go with Spock. ALthough I have problems with the Vulcan race, who are arrogant and hypocritical, but at the same time, Spock was a extremely well written character, who mellowed out in the movies, and who had an excellent actor playing him. Data's good, but he got ruined in the TNG movies.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:01 AM

Needs A Hug

Redshirt #354 was my favorite character.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:35 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Data was a goddamned joke played by a sub-par actor.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:37 AM

Elune

Silly internet, the obvious answer is seven of nine.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:04 AM

Eternal

I wouldnt call Brent Spiner sub-par, nor would I call Data a joke. Spiner may not be a Nimoy or a Patrick Stewart but seriously, he was competent enough.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:16 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Silly internet, the obvious answer is seven of nine.
Wouldn't the Doctor be the better Data-analogue (rip off) in Voyager's case?
Old 01-13-2014, 04:58 PM

Elune

Anything TNG > Anything TOS
Old 01-13-2014, 06:56 PM

Arch-Druid

How could any of you not vote for the father off the "Life Forms" song?
Old 01-13-2014, 07:17 PM

Elune

Old 01-14-2014, 02:37 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Data/Yar is best pairing. I demand TNG Remastered to retcon Tasha's death and insert her (and AT-STs) into TNG.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:07 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
Anything TNG > Anything TOS
I must disagree with you on this. For me, the average TNG cast member was better than the average TOS cast member, but the TOS main cast was on average better than the TNG one. Kirk and Picard are equally good, imo, but Spock>Riker, Data or Worf and McCoy>Crusher and Pulaski.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:26 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotal View Post
Wouldn't the Doctor be the better Data-analogue (rip off) in Voyager's case?
I was thinking more of the actual position as science officer. That puts the race between:
  • Spock
  • Data
  • Dax
  • Seven of Nine
  • T'pol
Old 01-14-2014, 10:50 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
I was thinking more of the actual position as science officer. That puts the race between:
  • Spock
  • Data
  • Dax
  • Seven of Nine
  • T'pol
Data is the Operation's Manager on Enterprise, though, not "the" Science Officer. That's usually one of the blueshirts in the background. He just gets called for sciency stuff because he's got a brain the size of a planet, and, thus, is better at it than most other alternatives. Compare how no show except TNG and 7th season DS9 ever show a councelor. I'd arguably say Enterprise D doesn't really HAS a dedicated Science Officer - even when Data is missing they don't assign another blueshirt like they do whenever there is no Security Chief or First Officer. He's also not wearing blue. Will look into it if he's got both positions officially, but i doubt it.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:36 AM

Elune

Mem Alpha has him listed as science officer.

Though, even if he wasn't the science officer, he's still fulfilling the role.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:08 PM

Sha of Disappointment

I'm sure a wiki-database that'd allow me to go ahead and change that if i wanted to is a very trustworthy source. While i may be wrong about his duties he is not wearing Science colors, has not been adressed as Science Officer on screen to the best of my recollection and considering the alternative is a wiki that can be edited by everyone i'll stick to my gut feeling.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:49 AM

Eternal

Memory Alpha is a very reliable wiki. It references most of the stuff it says. Currently my favourite non-wikipedia wiki.

Data was the science officer for one episode, 'We'll Always Have Paris'. Apparently, a guy named Swenson was the regular one, and Data took over the role for one episode.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:41 PM

Sha of Disappointment

This picture right here should be sufficient to end this argument in favour of the android once and for all.

Also i'm getting real tired of having almost all threads on the first page either be political ones, religious ones or tainted with both. Why can't you people just masturbate, like the rest of us?*

*if you get the reference you are worth being spared in the coming Pony/Twilight-Pictocalypse.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:50 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Data is the Operation's Manager on Enterprise, though, not "the" Science Officer. That's usually one of the blueshirts in the background. He just gets called for sciency stuff because he's got a brain the size of a planet, and, thus, is better at it than most other alternatives. Compare how no show except TNG and 7th season DS9 ever show a councelor. I'd arguably say Enterprise D doesn't really HAS a dedicated Science Officer - even when Data is missing they don't assign another blueshirt like they do whenever there is no Security Chief or First Officer. He's also not wearing blue. Will look into it if he's got both positions officially, but i doubt it.
I don't think Seven was the official Science Officer, either. Like Data, she served that role due to having the accumulated knowledge of thousands of species stored in her head, but seeing as she wasn't even a member of Starfleet she couldn't be the "official" one. I think the closest VOY got to having one was Samantha Wildman, who used to sit at the Sciences station on the bridge (next to the conference room entrance) before she vanished into the realm of forgotten characters.

EDIT: lel, forgot to answer the thread's topic. I'll admit it might be due to nostalgia, but I've got to go with Data on this. He became obnoxious in the movies, and all those episodes where we got to see Brent! Spiner! ACTING!! were hard to swallow, but I love the guy.

Last edited by Tilgath; 01-15-2014 at 02:52 PM..
Old 01-15-2014, 02:59 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilgath View Post
Seven
Completely different situation. The Enterprise wasn't stranded in the Delta Quadrant. Well, technically it was once for a few hours, but that's neither here nor there.

Quote:
Voyager's original Science Guy
I will eternally be amused at how apparently only four or five blueshirts survived the pilot. I mean what happened, did they forget that blue doesn't have to mean "medic"? Should have stuck Seven into a proper blue uniform.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:14 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Rufin#1220

If you don't like Data you are an android hater.
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Shut up your nipples are useless.
I'm a bit slow, but it's awesome.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:16 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Completely different situation.
Not really. Not for the purposes of this discussion, at least. Data was the go-to science person on TNG because he had the biggest brain, even though he wasn't technically the science officer. Seven was the go-to science person on VOY because she had the biggest brain, even though she wasn't technically the science officer. It's more to do with the writers of the show than the situation either ship found itself in, since in-universe both the Enterprise and Voyager must've had an official Science Officer.

Quote:
Should have stuck Seven into a proper blue uniform.
One of the reasons I love "Relativity" so much is because she spends the whole episode in one. Not only does it make more sense for the show (if you're going to have Maquis in Starfleet uniforms, Seven should be in one, too), but she looked a lot better in that than in her stupid catsuit.

Same concept with T'Pol, except that's even worse. She always wore her catsuit in the early seasons because she wasn't a member of Starfleet, just a Vulcan High Command officer on loan. But then we see VHC personnel, and none of them are wearing the stupid catsuit.

Then she actually JOINS Starfleet officially, and just switches to another catsuit instead of the uniform. Much like Seven, she only wears an actual Starfleet uniform in an episode dealing with timey-wimey shenanigans ("Twilight").
Old 01-15-2014, 03:20 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Those cat suits are stupidly retarded in the first place but they destroyed every bit of hotty-leftovers with that vulcan mop-hairstyle. I mean Jolene Blalock is a beautiful woman (if a bit on the skinny side), but in full T'Pol-outfit together with that horrible script lines and the emotion-drug storyline just make her look dorkier than FedCon attendees in full Spock cosplay.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:15 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Spock, because Leonard Nimoy is a boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:56 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they say early on that Galaxy Class ships (During Peace Time) are supposed to be ships that officers could bring their families on, and be exploration/colonization vessels, rather than warships. Not to mention it's massive size/crew complement compared to other Federation ships at the time, they definitely needed a full time counselor.
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 01-15-2014, 09:53 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Data was a goddamned joke played by a sub-par actor.
This. Spock is a far more interesting character because he has his own identity as a Vulcan that he feels justified pride in. Data just fawns over humans rather than establishing his own identity as an android, which reduces him to a ham-handed plot device whose character moments are just fawning over having feelings.

A better-written Data would realize that his ability to form friendships with people and things like that are evidence that he was "human" in his own way and try to, you know, try and figure out what it means to be a better android, rather than keep thinking better android = human.

Last edited by Fordragon; 01-15-2014 at 09:56 PM..

Tags
best sci-fi franchise, star trek, star wars