Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2014, 04:23 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
Then we shall fight to the death for it!

Nah, I only need the sothern part of it for my "duchy".
It can be a region aligned with your penninsula Thurn, providing food and oak for trade with Thurn in exchange for protection from raiders in the north and east.

I only want as north as the "neck", a little bit of it's western part. Most of the duchy would be along the coast and a little inland.
Hmm... in that case, I'll move.

I'll claim that big island for myself. Pax Thurntania!
Old 10-21-2014, 04:27 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
Hmm... in that case, I'll move.

I'll claim that big island for myself. Pax Thurntania!
Let's share it. It would align well with my ideas. You can have the entire northern part.
I can skip the neck and go more southwards. As the region I'll make is only a duchy it could be a subsection of your Thurn. A region under its protection as they themselves are not warriors but farmers, fisherers, woodland workers and craftsmen.
If you're fine with that then the Duke himself shall swear fealty to the mighty Thurn.
I assume these are large areas. How big is a square?

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Last edited by Yaskaleh; 10-21-2014 at 04:35 PM..
Old 10-21-2014, 04:41 PM

Arch-Druid

Darkmoon Card: Twisting Nether

Is the area around the 1/2 E/F intersection still free?

Also, which areas, using the notation on this map, are already claimed and by which realms?
Old 10-21-2014, 05:07 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Nice Grid, Wabbajack. I was actually about to post this

to show what areas have been claimed. Some are still undergoing discussion and I might have misplaced one or two, so people can feel free to correct me.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:14 PM

Eternal Watcher

A square is about 40k square kilometer. That would make the land of our contested square at around 18k square kilometer.

That's less than Bretagne at 27 square kilometer. How large do you want your Thurn to be, My Cake Attack?

Edit: If you count the full squares then the area is 1 000 000 dquare kilometer, that's with the sea. That is only about twice as large as current day France.
What's the climate like? There's something that looks like a desert to the south east so I assume it's on a more southern latitude.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Last edited by Yaskaleh; 10-21-2014 at 05:19 PM..
Old 10-21-2014, 05:19 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by devius View Post
I might have misplaced one or two, so people can feel free to correct me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
Any objections to me taking up H2, V4 (that small island)? I'll get started on something proper tomorrow.
Anyhow, shift finished later (a lot) than I anticipated. I'm going to have to try and get something down tomorrow instead. Sigh.

Anyhow, what's the scale of this company? Small band? Hundred? Thousand? That's liable to determine my character a fair bit.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:23 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
Anyhow, shift finished later (a lot) than I anticipated. I'm going to have to try and get something down tomorrow instead. Sigh.

Anyhow, what's the scale of this company? Small band? Hundred? Thousand? That's liable to determine my character a fair bit.
Us being the captains of a company of 100 man would be cool. By whatever float Timolas' boat.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:26 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

I think the magic could be quite advanced, just mostly not direct combat skills. Instead it's used for transportation, communication and infiltration.

By low magic, do you mean the power level of the magic is low, or very few people could use it?

Last edited by Slowpokeking; 10-21-2014 at 05:29 PM..
Old 10-21-2014, 05:26 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
That's less than Bretagne at 27 square kilometer. How large do you want your Thurn to be, My Cake Attack?
Like I said, I'm moving my claim to that island. But a question: Does everyone get one square of territory?

Or can you get a couple, or one and half?

Right now looking at B2/B3 (just those big island parts, the mainland means nothing to me. Unless no one claims the big island in it's entirety and then I'll just take it all!
Old 10-21-2014, 05:30 PM

Arch-Druid

Hmm, on second thought just 2E would be nice.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:30 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Wasn't sure if you'd mistaken the peninsula for an island, Drusus, or if you had gotten your vertical number wrong. I went with the former but I'll edit it to the latter then.

Also while the exact size of the company is up for you guys to decide I'd say you should aim for something small enough for your characters to all be relatively familiar with each other. If that means you're all captains of your own units or if you're a small close-knit group of elites, it's for you to discuss.

Quote:
I think the magic could be quite advanced, just mostly not direct combat skills. Instead it's used for transportation, communication and infiltration.

By low magic, do you mean the power level of the magic is low, or very few people could use it?
After the extreme teleportation exploits that became commonplace in The Great War I can tell you that Tim will never allow magic to be used for transportation in any of his future settings. Furthermore by low magic it means that magic influence on the world is low overall, you'd have to look far and wide to find someone who even knows about it and whatever they can do should prove pretty underwhelming.

Let me just say this straight away - Your character won't be magical. You'll have to explore the depth of a regular human being instead.

Last edited by devius; 10-21-2014 at 05:36 PM..
Old 10-21-2014, 05:33 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Also while the exact size of the company is up for you guys to decide I'd say you should aim for something small enough for your characters to all be relatively familiar with each other. If that means you're all captains of your own units or if you're a small close-knit group of elites, it's for you to discuss.
As I said, since my character basically does fuck all in combat, I'd prefer a bigger company, with us being captains. But I'm also open to a small group of just us. He can still do fuck all with that.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:39 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Wasn't sure if you'd mistaken the peninsula for an island, Drusus, or if you had gotten your vertical number wrong. I went with the former but I'll edit it to the latter then.

After the extreme teleportation exploits that became commonplace in The Great War I can tell you that Tim will never allow magic to be used for transportation in any of his future settings. Furthermore by low magic it means that magic influence on the world is low overall, you'd have to look far and wide to find someone who even knows about it and whatever they can do should prove pretty underwhelming.

Let me just say this straight away - Your character won't be magical. You'll have to explore the depth of a regular human being instead.
Because it's about a war, if you don't design the transportation seriously it's going to cause trouble, but how is this one? What's this one about?

Plus, nobody said transportation=teleportation, it could be used to increase the speed of vehicle or build road.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:44 PM

Arch-Druid

From what I gathered magic is supposed to be special in this setting, the stuff of legends and not something used for convenience. Probably rare enough that there are probably a lot of people that don't believe it actually exists.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:45 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Just don't use magic, Slow. It'll be simpler.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:47 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Then it's not going to look like a fantasy setting.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:48 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Like I said, I'm moving my claim to that island. But a question: Does everyone get one square of territory?

Or can you get a couple, or one and half?
The squares are a good tool for people to pick the positions of their territories but their actual size can vary greatly, some might just cover a small peninsula while others could span several squares. However, consider the massive size of any area bigger than one square and then how difficult it would be to keep under the control of a single noble house when the region is so fraught with civil wars. It is, of course, easier to keep a single island unified when separated from the rest but I would wager the massive island would be home to at least two separate provinces.

And here's an updated map.

Edit: Slow, I understand if you feel turned off by the lack of non-human races and conventional magic. All I can say is that you should have faith in Tim's ability to make things very interesting for you guys and that there will definitely be some fantasy-like elements out there for you to pursue in-game if you so wish.

Last edited by devius; 10-21-2014 at 06:07 PM..
Old 10-21-2014, 05:52 PM

Eternal Watcher

Oh boy, a moment to be creative.

Quote:
To reiterate on what you guys need to do (and also tell you guys that I'm assissting Tim in making this, hi), in an easy to understand format:

Come up with your Character. Why is he/she in a mercenary company? What does he/she get out of it? You kill for a living, is it your duty, your passion, or are you simply desensitised from your violent everyday?
My character joined the band out of necessity at first. An amnesiac that got taken in by friendly people after they found him half starved to death. With time he become a member of their community but competition over the attention of a fair maiden lead to my character killing his rival. That made him realise that killing came naturally to him, something he suspects is due to his past. Driven away by an angry mob, he ended up making a living through his martial skill until he through circumstances signed up for the nercenaries.
His past will never be revealed in the campaign, instead he focuses on making a new identity for himselves among the mercenaries that would become his precious brothers and sisters.
Quote:
Consider your character's Region of origin. Where is it located? On the great island in the west, by the mountains? by the sea? In the south, close to the neighbouring nation? It is small or grand, heavily cultivated or a mining colony? What is the ruling noble house? Are they disconnected from the trials of the common man or are they compassionate and fair? Are they locked into feuds with various other houses or are they trying their best to bring peace to the region once and for all?
The Duchy of Friersland would be in the 3:2 square. fishing villages, farmlands and meadows defines the coastal areas while the inland is covered in dense oak forests. The penninsula in the north is dominanted by hills and low mountains, rich in ores. Medium sized cities and many villages dot the landscape. The capital lies along the southern coast with the neck in the north dominated by twin cities.
The noble families of the region hails from lesser branches sprung from the Uniter, thus they do not have much ambition in conquering their neighbours. Whatever conflict exists is in local feuds, some going back since the unification.
The dukes have managed to keep the region out of most conflicts, making it known as a stable and safe land. Trade between the north and the south meets here which has allowed for a rich culture of trading and barter.
Quote:
Discuss among you what kind of Mercenary Company you all work for is it a band of brigands and opportunits, ready to do the dirty work of the nobles? A former unit in a noble army whose province was lost in a civil war? Or is it simply the result of a region stuck in perpetual wars, leaving orphans with no choice but to fight in the next war to earn a livelihood?
I'm open for anything. My character is so far flexible and can be in any kind of mercenary group.
My character would be somewhat of a pariah within the group when it comes to faith as he doesn't know his own ancestors and thus have none to worship and pray unto besides the faceless unknown. But he makes that up with being resilient, reliable and loyal.

Edit:

Name: Sturm Swiftblade
Physical description: Greyish blue eyes, white hair and beard. Pale skin but tanned due to spending a lot of time outdoors. He carries many shallow scars, most of which he can't remember how he's gotten them.
Athletic and strong. spends most of his spare time keeping himself in shape. He's medium tall. He's not the strongest nor the fastest but he has a sharp intellect and his swordmanship is fast and precise.
Likes: Fighting. Wine. Cheese. The outdoors. Honing his skills. Conquering challenges. Collecting all manner of blades, loves to find exotic types he's not seen before.
Dislikes: Spiders. Unjustified cruelty. Women abuse.
Fears: His past. Spiders makes his skin crawl. Too tight spaces and being made unmobile.
Best memories in life: The smile of a blushing maid, the warmth of her hands in his and the soft touch of her kiss. Otherwise he remembers most vividly all the kills he has done, especially the feeling of hot red blood on his hand and wrist as he shoved and twisted a foot of sharp iron in the gut of his first rival.
Goals in life: To survive. He's focused on the company. He lives for the company. They're all he got.
Birthplace: Unknown, he calls the Duchy of Friersland his place of origins.
Position in the mercenary company: I aim for Sargeant.

Edited for aditional information.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Last edited by Yaskaleh; 10-26-2014 at 04:16 PM..
Old 10-21-2014, 06:13 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:

Edit: Slow, I understand if you feel turned off by the lack of non-human races and conventional magic. All I can say is that you should have faith in Tim's ability to make things very interesting for you guys and that there will definitely be some fantasy-like elements out there for you to pursue in-game if you so wish.
Can we get a bit more about the direction it's going? Sure I know many people here love GoT but we are not Martin, I don't think it's a good idea to just rely on political struggle.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:21 PM

Elune

Quote:
The squares are a good tool for people to pick the positions of their territories but their actual size can vary greatly, some might just cover a small peninsula while others could span several squares. However, consider the massive size of any area bigger than one square and then how difficult it would be to keep under the control of a single noble house when the region is so fraught with civil wars. It is, of course, easier to keep a single island unified when separated from the rest but I would wager the massive island would be home to at least two separate provinces.

And here's an updated map.

True if it is that big, then I don't mind sharing if it will help the story, then I'll just take the northern half and be done with it. So basically split the island in half and I'll take the northern part and someone can take the southern part.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:29 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Then it's not going to look like a fantasy setting.
Sez you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:31 PM

Priestess of the Moon

One freshly baked north-part-of-island-marker coming right up!

Quote:
Can we get a bit more about the direction it's going? Sure I know many people here love GoT but we are not Martin, I don't think it's a good idea to just rely on political struggle.
You'll have to wait for Tim to wake up to tell you what he's got planned. What I can tell you is that things won't get political unless you want them to. You can make the mercenary company simply go from job to job, playing it almost like dungeon crawls in DnD, or you can get invested in the feuds of the nobles and possibly pick a side you want to support. However there will of course also be a main plotline you can follow, but I can't tell you what it might entail.

Edit: To give you guys a reference for just how big this place is, here's the outline of Germany on the same scale.

Last edited by devius; 10-21-2014 at 06:54 PM..
Old 10-21-2014, 09:17 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Come up with your Character. Why is he/she in a mercenary company? What does he/she get out of it? You kill for a living, is it your duty, your passion, or are you simply desensitised from your violent everyday?
My character joined the mercenary company because of his lack of prospects, but not because of his lack of skill. Famine and infighting in his homeland led to his exodus to lands of more fertile opportunity. Disliked and distrusted due to his nature, he found the mercenary company to be sufficiently egalitarian. He sees the mercenary company as a source of companionship, entertainment, and loot. Killing to him is second nature. He does not find it ideal, but enjoys it with a detached and businesslike nature. He would never kill a friend, but does not remember having any.

Quote:
Consider your character's Region of origin. Where is it located? On the great island in the west, by the mountains? by the sea? In the south, close to the neighbouring nation? It is small or grand, heavily cultivated or a mining colony? What is the ruling noble house? Are they disconnected from the trials of the common man or are they compassionate and fair? Are they locked into feuds with various other houses or are they trying their best to bring peace to the region once and for all?
My character is from a great keep overlooking the XXX ocean located at the northernmost point of Otticia. This keep is but one of the of many interconnected mountain strongholds in the region. Each keep belongs to a clan that is a giant extended family. These clans are regarded by other coastal regions as one of the many groups of ocean going pirates (think vikings) that have raided them for years. This is not completely false. They are good drinking buddies to their few friends and barbaric pillagers to everyone else. The death of their candidate for High King caused the clans to turn on each other, leading to resource mismanagement and famine, along with a fast cultural decline. Previously united by a ruler that wanted to use his spoils to unite Otticia, the clans now bicker and the possibility for reprisal by other regions previously raided by them is very real.

Quote:
Discuss among you what kind of Mercenary Company you all work for. Is it a band of brigands and opportunits, ready to do the dirty work of the nobles? A former unit in a noble army whose province was lost in a civil war? Or is it simply the result of a region stuck in perpetual wars, leaving orphans with no choice but to fight in the next war to earn a livelihood?
Whatever is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
You don't really need a character sheet, but a general format could go along the lines of:
Name: Tjeb Eshinhelm
Physical description: Blond hair, grey eyes, too skinny to sensibly be that muscular; A ghoulish viking, someone who has spent their days underground and their nights on a long-ship
Likes: Friends, loot, seriousness, honor, swords, smiling, booze, knots, boats, underground buildings, looting Thurn, burning towers
Dislikes: Weakness, nonsense, undue cruelty, a lack of looting, well-built towers
Fears: The death of his clan, the shattering of his dreams
Best memories in life: Their former king's plan to loot the entire world
Goals in life: Uniting the clans once again and becoming High King... right after some booze... and some sword-looting... tomorrow
Birthplace: Gottamsteg Keep, Ghulheim
Position in the mercenary company: Swordsman, sailor, engineer

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 10-21-2014 at 09:20 PM..
Old 10-21-2014, 09:32 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Can we get some clarification as to which red x's on that map correspond to which characters?

Incidentally, I had not intended to claim all of the lands east of the Uncut Mountains for Gattsbad. In my head, Gattsbad is a relatively small city built somewhere in the river valley that flows from Bhakhtar to Otticia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:34 AM

Eternal Watcher

To handle raiders the peaceful lands of Friersland use their plentiful oak forests to build ships that they sell to any warior nation that in kind defends their waters. They also build trade vessels that's sought after along the coasts for their sturdiness.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Tags
collaboration, storytelling