Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2015, 05:49 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Footman

Stargate > star trek (jery: wat is te del wit star show`?)
Old 10-05-2015, 07:13 PM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Fuck you no.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:25 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

I feel bad i dont want to be mean to Rotal.

Fuck miffy the shrimp.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:36 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Don't worry. I love Stargate too.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:16 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
Don't worry. I love Stargate too.
It's horrible.

I recently rewatched Star Trek Into Darkness again though, I have to say it holds up a lot better after a while. The plot is still unnecessarily convoluted and contradictory at times, but I can see the intent of the writers better now, and Khan comes across quite well.

The main flaw is that they tried to score this big character moment with Kirk and Spock, yet instead of actually building on the relationship of the two throughout the movie they simply threw a cheap mirroring of Wrath of Khan in there. As a result the scene comes across as awkward and almost comical, instead of the emotional suckerpunch it should be.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:13 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
It's horrible.
I thought we had something, Miffy. I really did.

Quote:
I recently rewatched Star Trek Into Darkness again though, I have to say it holds up a lot better after a while. The plot is still unnecessarily convoluted and contradictory at times, but I can see the intent of the writers better now, and Khan comes across quite well.
The problem with Khan is that he's kinda completely right; he's trying to protect his family because he got royally screwed by Sector 31. And then got screwed over by Kirk. I mean we know NuKirk is a prick but this comes close to Archer stealing a Plasma thingy.

Quote:
The main flaw is that they tried to score this big character moment with Kirk and Spock, yet instead of actually building on the relationship of the two throughout the movie they simply threw a cheap mirroring of Wrath of Khan in there. As a result the scene comes across as awkward and almost comical, instead of the emotional suckerpunch it should be.
Doesn't help that they didn't even leave him dead. You could cut the entire sequenze and the movie would be better for it. Into Darkness isn't nearly as crappy as 11 but it's still shit. Prooobably not as shit as 5, though. Maybe even not even as shit as 7 if you ignore some of the bigger problems. ID's main problem is the leftover Timetravel-plot from 11 and the fact that it didn't take the time to restore the Prime Timeline. Any movie from now that neglects to do this will automatically inherit this major, fatal flaw.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:31 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
I thought we had something, Miffy. I really did.
Look, Stargate is mildly entertaining. But it's essentially one incredibly bland plot stretched out over...way too many seasons, with poor acting and pretty poor writing most of the time. Just too silly for me.

That being said, I loved Farscape, so go figure.

Quote:
The problem with Khan is that he's kinda completely right; he's trying to protect his family because he got royally screwed by Sector 31. And then got screwed over by Kirk. I mean we know NuKirk is a prick but this comes close to Archer stealing a Plasma thingy.
Section 31. Also, it's really Spock that screws him over, not Kirk. And he's not right, as they quickly figure out the real intentions of the Botany crew.

In many ways, the conspiracy subplot could have worked out pretty well, if it had been done better. But there are too many inconsistencies and contradictions in it, it's simply overwritten, and at times dumb.

Famous moments: Kirk can apparently call Scott on Earth from the Enterprise at the edge of Klingon space, with a handheld communicator. It takes the Enterprise roughly 2-3 minutes of realtime on screen to warp from there to Earth, their original location apparently being in shuttle distance of Qu'ronos.

It had potential, the framework for a great Trek movie is there, it was just written by known hacks (die in a fucking fire, Orci and Kurzman).

Quote:
Doesn't help that they didn't even leave him dead. You could cut the entire sequenze and the movie would be better for it. Into Darkness isn't nearly as crappy as 11 but it's still shit. Prooobably not as shit as 5, though. Maybe even not even as shit as 7 if you ignore some of the bigger problems. ID's main problem is the leftover Timetravel-plot from 11 and the fact that it didn't take the time to restore the Prime Timeline. Any movie from now that neglects to do this will automatically inherit this major, fatal flaw.
Yeah that was very dumb. They should have left him dead, and had the emotional impact that sequence was built to have. It would have been a nice cliffhanger to part 3, where they could have done a new version of the "search for Spock". For example, they could leave a post-credit scene with Kirk being in a cryo-pod along with Khan and the rest, for reasons unknown. And in part 3 the crew figures this out and tracks his body.

It's definitely not one of the better movies, but certainly not one of the worst. 4, 5, 7, 9 and 10 are all pretty damn bad movies, and worse than the Abrams ones imo.

1-3 were great, all for different reasons, 6 was the swansong of classic Trek, and 8 was the only decent TNG movie.

Too bad we never got a DS9 movie that wraps up some of the loose series ends, would have loved to see Sisko come back and O'brien and Bashir reunite for an adventure.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:58 PM

Elune

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/47959/...res/index.html

How to get into Star Citizen for free.

Dunno if Rotal would be interested in this...

http://comicsalliance.com/mega-block...tar-trek-nycc/

Last edited by Ma Caque Attaque; 10-13-2015 at 06:11 PM..
Old 10-14-2015, 05:41 AM

Elune

Holy fuck THANK YOU. Dling now and gonna test if Squadron42 and later SC will even remotely run on this system ^^

edit:

Well, it works. Was able to run it on medium to high settings and although slightly choppy, it runs. Sadly I realized it is virtually impossible to play the game without a proper joystick setup, as mouse/keyboard controls are a nightmare. But that doesn't bother me much, as I will get that infrastructure for the game once it is out.

Odd fact: the latest version comes without any kind of uninstall option, which is kind of silly considering their budget.

Last edited by miffy23; 10-14-2015 at 09:35 AM..
Old 10-14-2015, 10:16 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
Holy fuck THANK YOU. Dling now and gonna test if Squadron42 and later SC will even remotely run on this system ^^

edit:

Well, it works. Was able to run it on medium to high settings and although slightly choppy, it runs. Sadly I realized it is virtually impossible to play the game without a proper joystick setup, as mouse/keyboard controls are a nightmare. But that doesn't bother me much, as I will get that infrastructure for the game once it is out.

Odd fact: the latest version comes without any kind of uninstall option, which is kind of silly considering their budget.
you are welcome
Old 11-12-2015, 03:44 PM

Sha of Disappointment

So Space Engineers released Planets today.

My work in this game is finally done.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:23 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Newest Beauty Shot of the Amanda Tapping for today's update, the first in a while, showing off her new Secondary Hull complete with a new Deflector Dish:

(edit: might be a bit on the dark side...)

And here we have the frankensteinian brainchild of a horribly taxing world where i pasted in an entire battlefleet and my mad Paint skillz:

I'm so sad i haven't taken the time to build an Excelsior yet, those are really the backbones of all Dominion War fleets, together with the already present Miranda Class (though i think the DW-variants were missing the rollbar, were they? Gotta research that.).
Old 12-14-2015, 07:04 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Old 12-18-2015, 11:10 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Old 12-19-2015, 11:28 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Old 12-28-2015, 05:01 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Old 12-28-2015, 05:03 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Okay, but seriously, what is this thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:08 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Okay, but seriously, what is this thread?
Since nobody seems to want to talk about starship design, technology, continuity problems and/or fanwanking problems out of existence i have decided to use this thread as dumpster for my Space Engineers builds because i don't believe they would fit the spirit of the Favorite Fan Art Thread (unless someone else decides to post one of them there, which i don't believe to happen anytime soon).
Old 12-29-2015, 11:48 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

All I see are a bunch of ships that are inferior to the glorious fleets of the Imperium of Man.
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 12-29-2015, 11:54 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
All I see are a bunch of ships that are inferior to the glorious fleets of the Imperium of Man.
You mean the ones that look like flying shoes? I wanna build one of those too one day but... frankly the interesting ones are of the super-big-variety and Space Engineers can barely handle the Space Dock above.

Tags
attention-whoring, goddamnit commander rotal, star trek, star wars