Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 05-26-2016, 12:06 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Default Race based Features

I'm loving the Class based Content we are to get with Legion. We're seeing quest chains for artifacts and world quests. We have class halls that don't always reflect the aesthetics or values. That said, could we have that race based?

My first thought was race/city-faction sponsored colonies on a new land. At first I was kind of thinking Garrison-esque cities/bases. However, I think it could be better than that.

My Colonies (eventually to become our own independent nations), aren't a mere garrison, outpost, or fort. We are given lordship of an entire zone (complete with title based on race). We then engage in diplomacy with the other city factions in who can come settle our colony. The choices we make will determine the face of our zone. A sampling:

On the Land that you take for the Horde, a Pit Lord rampages near a series of arcane pools. You personally defeat said Pit Lord. You then have a choice to make: The Blood Elves would like to put a Floating Academy similar to what they have in Silvermoon over this area and start working on decontamination, bringing in a steady supply of disenchantable mats and cleansing the pools. Alternatively a small conclave of orcish warlocks, remant of the Stormreavers, would like to start experimenting on the area, producing some lovely potions that bring out the fel. The land remains corrupted Elsewhere you can decide whether the Royal Apothecary Society can experiment on animals in a wilder area, or whether the newly reformed Thunderlord Clan can start taming the beasts, leaving you with wild or haunted wilds. Tauren Druid Groves vs. Goblin Lumber Camps, Orcish Fortresses vs. Pandaren Monastaries, etc.

At the alliance colony there's a small titan research outpost that Dwarven Archaeologists are dying to get into. However, the Pandaren have seen that Y'shaarj's influence still taints the area, so they want a monastary to protect and seal the darkness in. Human Farmers desire to settle the fields, but Night Elves would rather plant a new forest, complete with eco-friendly whisp harvested lumber. Draenei want a temple, Gnomes want a work shop, etc.

How would you do a race based feature?
Old 05-26-2016, 12:21 AM

World Builder

I would like Blizz to own the fact that they have factions rather than try to sidestep or ignore them, this seems like a step in the right direction

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 05-26-2016, 12:45 AM

The Knight-Lord

With Legion, they've worked hard on class narrative; and I'm super glad that they've done so. With the next expansion, my hope is that they focus on race narrative.

My feeling is that CDev has focused far too much on the two major war machines (Allaince and Horde), and not enough on the moving parts within those constructs. We play those moving parts. They mean a lot to a many of us. They're unique; not all the same. There is demand; and it's been there for a long time.

And I don't just want the story to involve itself with racial development, either; I want the art team there as well. For a long time now, tier sets have focused on reflecting the aesthetics of the current raid. With Legion, this philosophy has been supplanted more for a class-based approach. Give us some race-based sets; and lots of them. Also, update the doodads and architecture of the races. Try and subtly reflect an evolution in style, or an adoption of foreign expression. And finally, update Quel'thalas and the Draenei lands to reflect the present day. 10 years, Blozzard? Come the fuck on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
I hope you get raped harder than an African woman during ethnic cleansing
- Noitora, "A Couple of Illidan Spoilers" Thread (Pg. 17; Post #339)
Old 05-27-2016, 01:28 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

For a long while now it's started to feel like Blizzard has really gotten out of touch with the playable races and taken them in wildly nonsensical directions. I don't trust them to properly write a race-driven story given their past history, but something like this would be a good way to help them reconnect to what themes each race is meant to convey.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:34 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Just a thought on these Race Based Colonies I proposed earlier, instead of settling a new land, we could be given a current zone as our own little fiefdom. Dusk wood for Worgen, Western Silvermoon for Blood Elves, Arathi for Humans, Stranglethorn for trolls, etc.

That said, we can all agree that blizzard could do better with races. How would you do them justice?

Tags
warcraft